02/09/2018 - Donuts and Thanks for window coverings

robinsnest

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good morning all.

The sun is up and shinning right into my eyes. Thankfully I have window blinds so I can shut them and not be blinded. It was nice and dark this morning when I got here, but now, ahhhhhhh!

In an hour or so, I can reopen them and have the nice view of the office complex.

The weather guessers are excited. We are heading for a cool down maybe early next week, which would be nice. We shall see. The "R" word (rain) is even being mentioned.

Happy Friday all.

Good Morning Friends,

Slight warm up this morning, which explains the new blanket of snow that fell over night. Just enough light fluffy snow to make the roads slippery again.

I discovered yesterday that about half the sole of Gena's right shoe had become unattached from the top. So this weekend we get the fabulous thrill :)sarcasm:) of trying to find her a new pair of shoes. I love getting new shoes, but not for her. She still hasn't gotten the hang of tying shoes, and it's almost impossible to find Velcro or slipper sneakers in a women's 7.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Robin, you and I were starting Donuts at the same time, but you beat me. :)

I thank my lucky stars for curtains every morning, when the sun blasts me in the eye while trying to brush Gena's hair.

JS or Poirot - when you have a chance please merge the threads.

Ahh, Mandy, Chicago is shutting down with a snowstorm, they are saying nearly a foot expected. (We have a couple feet and more in drifts on the ground here, lol). Having lived in Chicago, I know how everything grinds to a halt with just a couple inches of snow, so this is bad.

Flights cancelled, schools are closed, etc. Hubby & I were once on their interstate, returning up here, it started to snow, traffic went to a crawl, and I do mean crawl. It took us over an hour to get to an exit, as we thought we'd do better on a regular road. NO such luck. LOL

Think I told you all of when we took our foreign exchange student to the airport, to return to Brazil. It started to snow, & by time we got there, checked in, flights were being cancelled, etc. We thought we were going to be unable to even leave the airport. Well, the co-ordinator managed to get all those students on a flight to NY, last plane out (their flight to New Orleans had been cancelled. but that is where their luggage was headed.

So, they could then get a flight from NY to New Orleans without weather problems. But our drive back home was one I never want to experience again. Visibility practically zero, only one lane open, of course, whiteouts, 20 MPH stop and go, car ahead would disappear completely, no taillights, etc. so always worried one would crash into back end, or someone would crash into mine!

Finally reached our exit, NO traffic, thank goodness, visibility improved, and my girls insisted they wanted to go to school. And mom took them. (of course they wanted to tell all friends all that had happened).

Needless to say, school buses were there 1/2 hr after they arrived, school closed, kids sent home, (was a chore getting the bus drivers to get there to begin with).

So...the sun is shining here, despite the 8 below zero currently, and I won't complain. :)

Have a good one.......Robin, I know what you mean about the sun blinding, needless to say, my windows stay covered til the sun moves, too. :)

Good morning all. Just a quick pop in to say my walk to the train this morning was a balmy -23*C (-9.4*F) but with wind chill it was -34*C (-29.2*F). ACK!!!!!! Good thing it is already warming up and the daytime high today is supposed to be -12*C (10.4*F) by 3pm today and warmer tomorrow. Yeesh!! We have a lot of snow and will be getting a good workout shovelling before rehearsal tonight.

Doing an 80's throwback and hoping you all have a wicked Friday and a gnarly weekend!!

Poirot - my sister lives in Chicago. I worry about her when the weather gets like this. Thankfully she doesn't have a car (parking would cost more than her rent), and uses the bus or the trains to get around. So in some ways she's a little safer.

Muzz - be careful in that cold, brrr.

This weekend I'm taking Hunny Bunny to Los Angeles. We are going to see Aladdin. We'll have a nice dinner before, see the show and then back to the room. It's his birthday, so it will be fun. Other than Mr. Gus has to go to either jail (Hunny Bunny's term) or the resort (my term), he will get play time with other similarly sized dogs and ice cream treat in the afternoon. Really, does that sound all that bad?

I can tie my shoes and I HATE shopping for shoes. I was not present with the shoe or purse gene was being handed out. I hate paying lots of money for either one.

Ackk, back to work. The phone lines are lighting up.

Wow, besides Robin, you all are having frigid temps and lots of the white stuff! So sorry! Robin, you mentioned the temps going down. To what, 75?

Another sunny gorgeous day, just cooler. It's only 37 now.

Have a great day.

A partly cloudy day here. I was hoping it would be warmer when I
raked more leaves further down the ditch. I had to go out before
lunch so it wasn't. I was only out 30 minutes.

Our Sunday school supper for tomorrow night got changed to tonight
because ice in forecast. One of our members is in China teaching
kindergarten and she's home now for a couple of weeks. So, we had
to change to this evening. So my whole Friday got changed. Hopefully,
I'll get some of duties I do here before I go. If not, I'll do when I
get home.

robin, enjoy your weekend trip.

manda, I hope you can find shoes Gena can wear. You might do an
internet search first to see what shoe stores in your area have what
you need.

I hope everyone stays safe in the snowy weather and enjoy your
evening.

Sorry to have missed all of you today. Today I was pulled to Pediatric ICU to help with children with the flu. Two of the children we could not save. One passed but the other is in a coma and will not survive. This flu strain is so virulent and quickly spreads. Going home soon and hug my children after crying with the parents who can never hug their child again.

Good evening. I've had trouble making it here lately. A lot of stuff going on. Now I don't know what I've told and what I haven't. The husband fell a few days ago--Tuesday, I think. Nothing broken but a nasty scrape on his arm, and his ribs have been very sore. He told me he was trying to jump from one chair to another! :eek: I didn't get to go see him on Wed., as I went with my niece to her eye doctor appointment.

But I went yesterday and he was pretty drugged out on pain pills so I didn't stay as late as usual. Had intended to go back today but my fix-it guy came to install the new water pump my niece and I picked up on Wednesday. Now I've spent the past hour or so trying to figure out and order a heat regulator and a remote control switch (and a couple of other unrelated things) to help me better manage the conditions at the pump so it and the heat lamp don't freeze and break again.

The well is about a mile down the hill from the house, over rough pasture roads. I've not been very disciplined about going down there and preparing things whenever a cold front is coming. The pump is on a concrete slab with a big igloo doghouse over it for protection. I'm hoping to get it so I no longer have to lift the doghouse off the pump to get at the heat lamp.

Just now took a break and went to the dump, then went in the opposite direction to see if the pump was still working and whether the watering trough was filled up--takes several hours if the cows are not there drinking it down faster than it can fill. Some were looking on as the installation was being done. They love to drink from there!

I also turned on the heat lamp. I would have turned it on earlier today but it got up into the 70s* this afternoon so my niece and my fix-it man talked me out of it. But a cold front is coming tonight. Tomorrow it will be in the 20s* with wind. Hard to believe it was so beautiful and warm today, then tomorrow will be so cold. I know that isn't cold to some of you but Mr. Cowboy is coming tomorrow to work my cattle. That job is never fun when there's wind (lots of eating dust), especially such a cold wind. I'm so glad I won't be the one doing the work.

Oh dear Lord, Noel, I don't know how you do that job. It is too heartbreaking.

Back