05/04/16 - Donuts and May the Fourth Be with You

Y

YPG

Happy Star Wars day! Rain again today with a high of 78°. I need the sunshine back because this rainy weather kills my mood/attitude.

Rained last night at the Beyonce concert so the sheriff (or whoever) came out and said it was over and everyone began to leave. Then Beyonce came back out and performed till midnight. I had considered going but knew the weather was going to be crazy and now am glad I did not.

Had to take the pups to the vet for some routine whatever but JBS also seemed to have an injured paw so that worked out. Got him an anti-inflammatory plus the vet advised some Benadryl for their reverse sneezes (sounds like an asthma attack kind of) which is like allergies.

Considering getting an/some air purifier(s). Anyone have any experience with those?

Okay off to call the vet because I can not tell if JBS's paw looks worse or not, plus RGA basically bit his cone and pulled until it came off a couple of times, so maybe need another solution.

Good day to you all!

Good morning, sun is shining, mid 40s here, but a bit windy again. Weird day yesterday for all the rain forecasts we had, tho it did spit rain at times, and I think it rained more, just a bit, in town. But, with these weird up and down temps, you can see why no one plants anything up in this neck of the woods,until after Memorial Day. We still get freezing temps at night at times.

But, the garden centers are open, Wal Mart's is not quite ready, only part of it (they learned lessons, lol) but the supermarket & Co Op centers are open (those are temp ones) and the two year round garden centers are advertising like mad on radio. The snow birds are returning, which probably makes those in Florida, southern Texas, AZ & New Mexico quite happy, their traffic is reduced, ours increased. LOL

Good morning. I'm trying to get motivated for the day or maybe I'm just postponing the inevitable. I have things to do; namely finding a dress to wear to dad's funeral and hopefully getting a haircut. Thank you all for the kind words.

Take care everyone.

Good morning,

Kinda oogy outside today, raining on and off, so finally having an office window is kind of a mixed blessing here in Northern Virginia.

@YPG

Hope your pup gets to feeling better...

What type of air purifier are you considering? I've seen the type that are essentially big fans that pull air in and push it out through a charcoal filter. I've also seen those "ionic" type things that purify by creating positive ions in the air. I'm not sure how effective either of them are, but I'd guess it really has to do with the amount of space you're trying to work with.

The one thing I know which would work would be a two-step thing which goes a long way towards helping allergens (and is recommended by several friends who have severe pollen allergies), but it's crazy expensive. More of a home owner investment level expense, like, "new bathroom remodel level expense".

First, you'd get your duct work cleaned by a professional (maybe once a year) and the second part would be to invest in a whole house system. Something that loops into your heating/air conditioning units to actually clean the air as it goes out to your entire house.

As for the first two types, my logic says the "push/pull air" type, but then you have to buy/deal with filters. The "ionic" type air purifiers work and you usually don't have to buy filters, but if you have a larger space, say a 16x20 living room, you'd need two and they're not cheap... Well poot, scratch that, they've gotten a LOT cheaper since the last time I looked at them.... Check this one out for example

Wayne

Morning Everyone,

KT- I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, I didn't make it on last night to see the news. Prayers for you for peace.

JS - I happen to agree with your mom, but that's really funny. :)

Barb - I may try planting some early stuff next week, like peas and maybe beans and only in seed form, if we can get our garden tilled and compost added before then. However I agree it's too early for any plants.

YPG - good luck with the pet allergies.

Wayne - enjoy your window, better to have an icky weather view, than no view at all.

As for me, cold and breezy this morning, had a thunderstorm roll through last night. Got up at 11:30 when I thought I heard the tornado siren. Turns out it was a train with a whistle that sounded like the siren, not a good thing in the middle of the night. Tonight Gena and I will be baking cupcakes for my birthday treats, 5 for the troop meeting tomorrow and the remaining 19 to bring to work, which will probably put me at 8 extra to bring home. LOL

Happy Wednesday.

Good morning. A hot 103F with afternoon dust storms predicted. And so it begins....

Super busy & sad work day. One of our nurses preemie infant born with multiple birth defects just passed.

Hope to check back in later. Be blessed today.

Good morning everyone!

Continued prayers for you and your family kt.

Wayne, the view outside the windows isn't much better here in Southern Virginia. Although it looks like the sun is trying to come out.

Poirot, I hope you get some nice spring time weather soon.

YPG, I hope JBS gets better soon.

manda, that would have freaked me out too thinking I heard the tornado siren.

Noel, I don't know how you do such a tough job every day but bless you.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

@YPG, I can offer only opinions on air cleaners. The ones with the replaceable filters (HEPA?) have fans that make some noise (white?). Haven't seen the ionizing type advertised for a while; some allegedly deposited dust wherever they were sitting. I had a small one that was silent, but didn't seem to do anything. :) The electrostatics are what are usually(?) installed in furnace ductwork. I think they are rinsed when they need cleaning. Have heard the hanging-box type make an occasional snapping noise in smoke-filled rooms. :)

Are your animal companions catching up on their sleep while on Benedryl?

@Donuters: "Let them eat cake!" Department

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/05/04/this-150-donut-is-pumped-with-patron.html

It's going to be a beautiful day here. I'll be going out soon and use the trimmer. I'll be
gone most of afternoon at school so I may not have time to go outside later.

YPG, I hope you dog feels better. I give my dog generic allergy pill when she's
scratching herself a lot.

Noel, sad news about the baby. I'll be praying for the family.

I hope everyone will have the best day possible.

My sympathies for your loss.

Thank you all for the consideration for JBS and the for the Amazon link as I have no idea. I like that that model does not require filter changes so it may be a better investment than multiple small ones.

I was considering getting one of these for each room but do I even need one for each room? Plus I hate that they are white but they are the only small ones with the best reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000...r+purifier&dpPl=1&dpID=41aaElzkbGL&ref=plSrch

Since I am renting, I can/will not invest in a whole house system myself but may suggest to the landlord getting the system cleaned if possible since it is obviously causing problems here.

I cannot tell if they are sleepy from the medicine or just not playing since JBS cannot play. Hopefully they are not going to be too drugged up because they have to take the Benadryl twice a day for ten days.

Morning all.

YPG, my kids asked me for a air filter for Christmas. (don't ya just love grown up kids??) So after much research I got them a Honeywell TRUE Hepa air filter and extra filters. They say it works, makes the air feel better, etc.

And for your second question, when I worked for the veterinarian in Redwood City, CA ,he didn't like the plastic collars because dogs could chew them off. He preferred sending us to the hardware store to get a bucket. We'd cut the bottom out, pad it, remove the handle and then put it on, tying it to the dog's collar. You had to hand feed and water for the most part. It was a nightmare. When Gus had to have some work done, we went with one of these:

dog collar.jpg

Hunny bunny is packed and ready now. Getting into the shower for a week plus visit to family in Kansas. I just can't leave at this time.

kt, you are in my thoughts.

Good morning,

KT - I am so sorry for your loss and keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

Kat - I do live in Alberta and the fires are up north in Fort McMurray, which is approximately an 8 hour drive north of Calgary. This is an early start to the fire season and expected to get worse and summer isn't even here yet. My cousin is a fish and wildlife officer up there and has been evacuated and my husband's cousin has lost his house as well. It is an early and devastating start to the fire season.

We've broken some 119 year old temperature records over the last few days. Yesterday broke a record at 27.2*C (80.86*F).

Have a great day everyone.

Just a quick pop in between work and arranging the catering / lunch for after my friend Mike's funeral this Friday. His sons are both in town now (from Texas and south of Pittsburgh) They're at a loss on what to do since neither has ever lived in this area. One friend is helping them arrange the funeral and write his obituary, and they asked me to take care of the luncheon.

I texted kt last night. Prayers are going up for her and her family.

Muzza - prayers also for your relatives and friends in the path of the fire.

That pic looks so much like JBS!

We had that type of collar before when he got fixed but it would not work for this because he could still reach his front paw. I just went and traded in his cone for a longer one because he was still able to lick at it.

The vet laughed when TR took the collar in to get a longer one and have the circumference matched, because in less than 24 hours (the first time I had let them outside once we got home actually) I was not paying attention for just a few minutes, even though I had an open window right in front of me. I washed a few breakfast dishes and RGA destroyed the outside of the cone by chewing and pulling on it until she got it off of him.

I have tried editing a photo to death of JBS in his chewed up cone, to make it small enough to upload, because I can usually upload a photo if I edit it. But it refuses to work today.

Still considering air purifier choices. Have so much info to learn to make the right choice.

Thank you all for the consideration for JBS and the for the Amazon link as I have no idea. I like that that model does not require filter changes so it may be a better investment than multiple small ones.

I was considering getting one of these for each room but do I even need one for each room? Plus I hate that they are white but they are the only small ones with the best reviews.

What I do know is that yes, you'd need one per room, but that also applies to the link I sent. The other thing I get is that if it says "HEPA", that means filters, so check the cost of the filters you have to buy and you'll probably end up spending more on filters than the device itself cost. For example, on Amazon I saw a larger one that does "up to 1100 square feet" (intended for wide-open floor plans). It was about $700 all-in, but the filters for it were about $110 each, and I'm guessing would need to be changed 2 to 4 times a year.

I don't know if the thing I sent was perfect, though my former best friend (my ex-wife's replacement husband) swears by it.

Wayne

Thank you for explaining about HEPA.

I know nothing about this.

Back