07/25/2016 - Donuts and Reflections of a Good Weekend

M

Muzzaman

Good morning, all. Sounds like lots went on over the weekend with marriage proposals, devastating storms, and Squirrel Hamburger Helper. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

We had a great weekend camping and were lucky to get a spot on Thursday night. We arrived at 6:30pm and the campground was full but asked about the day camping area and if they would open it up for weekend campers as there were 5 spots available. They said yes and voila we were camping. However we forgot two of the arms to hold up the wings of the tent trailer when it is up so we drove back to Calgary and grabbed them from the basement where we were fixing them. We figured that because we had so much rain over 3 weeks that people were itching to get out and camp.

This week is just the usual with work and preparing form my husband's family to arrive next Monday for his family reunion. We will be camping the weekend of August 5 for this event and looking forward to it.

Have a good everyone. Beautiful weather here.

Good Morning,

I'm am still recovering from the baseball game/overnight camping with the Girl Scout Troop. Between the 90+ degree temps and the late game, I'm still exhausted and sore. It's been a very long time since I slept on the ground. However we all had a wonderful time and the girls loved it all, so it's worth every sore muscle and mosquito bite.

The remainder of my weekend was filled with the usual stuff, grocery shopping, laundry, church, etc.

Muzz - glad you had a fun weekend

OC - hope you can find your cows.

Have a great Monday!

Yippee, it's raining... I was in town and it started raining where I was.When I got home, the
streets had standing water. I'm happy my flowers are getting a drink.

This morning, I let my cat in. It's darker now and maybe he had it in his mouth. I noticed
something on the kitchen floor. I thought the cat got sick. I turned on the light and it was
frog. It went under the couch. I didn't time to do anything since I had to take my walk.
Anyway, after chasing it around with a bucket, I got it outside.

manda, I'm glad the Girl Scout camping trip was a success.

Muzzaman, sounds like you're having another exciting summer.

OC, I hope you're having a good day.

I hope everyone has a good Monday and great week.

Morning all. Sitting in the house in Sacramento. Grandson on his mat on the living room floor making baby talk, trying to roll over. Nothing planned today just spend the day quietly.

Just thought I'd drop in and say hey!!

Spent yesterday going through emails and such, as Dad's obit ran in the paper.

Dad's Obit.JPG

Have a great Monday.

Hi everybody. It was a long, hot, humid weekend here.

We had the "two sides" family picnic, Saturday. The state park is just next to the town where I worked this morning.

Sunday a group of friends went to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. Needless to say, my house did not get cleaned this weekend.

Today was another hot school with no air conditioning or windows that opened.

CONGRATULATIONS to Red on her engagement!!! How exciting!

Muzza - I'm glad you had a nice camping trip.

OC - I hope the girls are right where you think they should be.

Amanda - Loved the picture from the game that you put on Facebook. I hate mosquitos, too. I use the little clip-on OFF mosquito repellant that has a tiny fan that disperses the repellant into the air. It works great for me.

Kat - A frog!! :eek: Oh Lordy. Thank goodness it wasn't a snake.

robinsnest - Enjoy your grandbaby. Well, I guess I don't really know what to say about your Dad's passing except hopefully you'll have some peace in your life. I hope once things are settled and the service is over that you start to do even less and less for your step-mom. She needs to start manipulating......er....um....I mean relying on her own children.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the obit, robin. Your dad had a pretty full life, it seems. It's good you have your grandbaby to enjoy right now!

Manda, it can be a shock when we reach an age where doing something like sleeping on the floor or ground leaves us with achy muscles. Hey, it didn't used to do that!! :) I recall water skiing at around age 30, when I hadn't done so since my teens. Oh my, I didn't know I could be that sore!

Kat, I'm so glad you got a drink for your flowers! I had to laugh about your cat bringing you a prize! Not so funny to have to catch it and get rid of it though.

Squirrel, schools without a/c are such a distant memory here in Texas, It seems inhumane to me that any would not have air conditioning, in today's world. I bet your family picnics were hot too, but I hope you had enough fun to make it worthwhile. Surely the movie theater was cooled.??

Well, I went on out to look for the girls. The pastures are literally a jungle. The tall weeds have covered up the pasture roads so I was having to "feel" my way through part of the time, which is not so good because mesquite trees create a lot of fallen, crooked branches, and when they are covered/hidden by weeds, you can run over them and tear up the underneath of your truck. I learned that as a teen , when I once broke the tie rod that way. At one point this morning I could not find the road so I drove off the hill where I thought it should be, only to find myself closed in on three sides by a dry "branch" (offshoot of a creek bed) and brush and trees everywhere, impassable. So I had to turn around and go back out the way I came.

The cows are scattered all over the place. I found two groups of six each, with miscellaneous calves. They were eager to follow me but I didn't have any feed, so I went over and talked with my niece. We're going to get out early in a day or so and take cubes and see how many cows we can call up, of hers and mine. There are fences and other things needing attention. I guess I've stuck my head in the hard Texas dirt for long enough.

OC, the playhouse was super cold. My friends laughed when they saw me carrying a light jacket, but they're the ones who froze.

The cast was mainly high school and college students. There is an amazing amount of talent in our area. They did Frank Lloyd Webber proud with their production of his musical based on Joseph and his coat of many colors from the Book of Genesis. (Donny Osmond played Joseph on Broadway and in the video.)

I was in heaven because I love anything by Frank Lloyd Webber. Phantom of the Opera is my absolute favorite! I saw it 11 times in Toronto, Ontario, once in Pittsburgh, and once in London, England.

This video is from the end of the show when Joseph (Donny Osmond) and his father, Jacob, are reunited. The coat of many colors is in tatters from his brothers ripping it up when they sold him into slavery years before.

Last edited:
RS - I got to see Donny Osmond as Joseph when I was in high school, they performed Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat in Green Bay and my aunt and uncle took me as a Christmas gift, it was amazing, I'm so glad you enjoyed the performance.

I watched the video several times on Netflix, and love Donny Osmond in the role.

Sunday, Joseph was played by a 16 year old high school junior. He was absolutely magnificent! He's already received scholarship offers from Carnegie Mellon, NYU, and UCLA for theater. On top of being so talented, he is an honors student with a straight 4.0 average. He is also very polite. (He is the boyfriend of my co-worker's daughter who was also in the show.)

Last edited:
That was a fast 3 days off. We were supposed to go boating on Friday but the storm reports coming in we changed plans and took Ember to Triple Play (indoor water park). We had a great time and enjoyed the day with her. The storm hit just as we got home and believe it or not there were 2 tornadoes and Spokane looked like a war zone by the time it was over. We were very fortunate and had no damage. The people across the street from us lost a tree in the front yard.

Saturday was beautiful and we went for a 15 mile bike ride then swam in the pool. Sunday we did our shopping and stayed in the pool all afternoon. Back to work today! Oh and baby now weighs 7lbs 7oz and they have backed off. So my daughter now feels she is safe to change doctors. She talked to her OB/GYN about it and she was furious and going to some checking into it.

Congrats Red - have you set a date yet?

Poirot - I see you had major storms also! So lucky to not lose electricity with storms like that. I can't fathom too many people purchase the Squirrel Helper??

Amanda - sorry about having to get your tonsils out but in the long run will be so much better. I got mine out when I was 8 and still remember.

Stay cool everyone - it seems we are all in the same boat right now!

Shan

JS - cute, now it's an out patient procedure, so I'll be home the same day. Although I may end up sleeping at my mom's house all day like I did when I had my gallbladder out 6 years ago. She's not keen on the idea of me being home all day alone after surgery.

I'm currently listening to the Joseph movie on youtube. :) My church theater group performed Joseph 4 years ago, it was very good, but strange having a bald Joseph.

Last edited:
Shan, I'm glad you didn't have any damage. So much devastation with tornadoes. Good that things are on track with the baby!

Amanda, I'm with your mother. Let her see after you. :) She'll feel better.

Noel, I was wondering about you earlier. Glad to see you.

Squirrel, I only know about the Bible account of Joseph, and then there is Dolly Partin's song about her own coat of many colors. I didn't know anything about the play. Interesting to learn.

you start to do even less and less for your step-mom. She needs to start manipulating......er....um....I mean relying on her own children.

That is the plan, that is the plan. And as Hunny Bunny reminded me, I was staying in AZ only for my father and now I don't have that any longer. I could move back to CA or somewhere else. Options are opening up.

Grandma Kate July 2016.jpg

This morning's discussion of how the day should play out.

Back