1/10/18 - Donuts & New Beginnings

mandamiee

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm happy to report that hubby was offered the job he interviewed for last week and barring any problems should be back at work tomorrow. I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch, but I'm almost ready to do a happy dance. Even better, it's everything he wanted in a job: 8-5 Monday through Friday and only 10 minutes from home, which pretty much erased any possible excuse he could have to not take it.

I invite you all to dance with me:

giphy.gif

Amanda, I pray this job works out so that the pressure is off you and Gena at home.

We had freezing rain this morning with temps holding at the freezing mark for now. It is supposed to go into the 40s with rain through tomorrow night. Then Poirot's treacherous winter storm will arrive here Friday.

I work at a mental health drop-in center for the homeless in my southern county this morning. It used to have a very high ratio of men to women. I was surprised today that it has gone in the other direction, and was mostly women. They receive GED classes, counseling, meals, etc. during the day, and then return to the shelters at night.

RS - odd that the homeless population would have such a drastic shift in such a short time. Sad too.

It seems we are in the same weather band. We've got high 30's/lower 40's today with drizzle, and then it's supposed to get colder starting about 5 tomorrow and drop pretty fast. I'm sure the roads will get really bad really fast.

Thanks for the prayers. I've been praying that he can stick this one out too.

Hello everyone! I know I am super late, but happy holidays and all that jazz. Have not been posting much but I have been following along with your life adventures and wish you all my best.

Manda - congrats on your husband's new job! I have been through the same thing with ex (yes we are still basically together but he is not coming back till the girls have moved on in life) when I literally had to get one of my contacts to hire him, and thank gosh it has worked out since.

RS - thanks for working in mental health. I always appreciate those who work with people who may have had difficult experiences in life.

Crazy weather everyone is having. We had snow last week and in the sixties this week.

So I had sciatic nerve exploration and decompression surgery on the 12/20 and it turned out great. I have a slight increase in movement and feeling in my left hip/leg/foot and it is so exciting. Now I can not only twitch my big toe, sometimes, but also twitch the whole foot, sometimes! So yay for improvement.

Came to inform that there was a Jeopardy clue last night about John Aniston/Victor Kiriakis. My girls were like mom you know this.

Of course with the pressure, my memory was almost like, nope but I was able to at least get out that he was Jennifer Aniston's (from the show Friends), father, Aniston something and Victor Kiriakis! Here is a pic, second clue, no one got the answer right on the show but in my house we count good enough answers as good enough lol. Just thought you all would enjoy the trivia tidbit.

Have a great day.

834a1ddec874da014fa3109e9c4b0830.jpg

Manda - what great news! I will keep the prayers going that everything works out great for him!

RS - it's so sad we even have homeless, especially in your temps, but thank God for people like you that step up to the plate and offer the help they need.

YPG - so happy to hear from you. I had wondered how your surgery went and if you had gotten some relief. So cool you have a gotten a little relief.

Noel - how far are you from Flagstaff? I saw it was snowing there to beat the band and thought of you.

It's supposed to be dry until early evening, then snow all night, stopping around noon and then rain. This will be a nice mess.

Have a great day.

Goldie and I went around only once today because I have a cold.
I'm glad it's nothing more serious. Today it's cloudy and warm.
Tomorrow the cool down comes.

manda, great news. I hope your husband will do his best to keep the job.

YPG, I'm glad your surgery went well. I thought it was interesting no
one on Jeopardy knew the answer.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day.

Well, we are waiting for the rain, which is to begin tonight.....and then change over to the snow, as temps drop. I had to run out for just about 1/2 hr, and temp was around 36.

YPG, glad your surgery went well, have been wondering if you were home yet or not.

Mandy, hip, hip, hurray for the hubby getting the job. And glad he did not have jury duty. I got called twice....and once stayed for hours as they chose the 12......but was not one of them. Was not allowed to bring purse into courtroom. :)

Shan, looks like it is topsy turvy for our areas and the weather. We get rain first, then snow, and you vice versa. Still is yuksville.

squirrelly, maybe the storm will veer off and leave you alone??? Yeah, fat chance, huh?

Some of you may know this, but evidently our Wayne was in an auto accident yesterday, car damaged enough so he has a rental now, he is stiff, sore, but o.k.

Good afternoon. Manda, what a relief for you! I sure do hope all goes as well as it sounds.

YPG, thanks for updating us. Any improvement is cause for rejoicing.

So sorry to hear about Wayne's accident but glad he isn't seriously injured.

Kat, I'm a sissy about colds but yes, with all the flu going around, one has to be thankful for only a cold.

Squirrel, it's good to hear of help for the people you are serving. I've had discussions recently with both my niece and my daughter about some who seem to fall between the cracks and/or don't know how to go about getting help. The need seems to get overlooked especially in these small towns out this way.

Muzz, it's good to hear you are feeling better.

I'm home again today. Husband had a real good day yesterday, and so did his attendants and his wife. :) I had intended to go back today but the cows needed to be fed and my niece has so many things going on right now, I decided to go ahead and feed them myself, with some idea I could get through in time to go ahead and go to town. Instead, I got off into an adventure. I started out with cubes and went to my cows first. They were scattered and it took a long time for them all to come to where I was calling them.

Then I decided to go straight across the pastures to my niece's place (only a couple of miles, but rough pasture paths) instead of the six miles around the county road. When I got to our division fence, all of her cows were right up against the gate/fence, bawling eagerly. They'd heard my siren when I fed my cows and were trying to get to it but were stopped by the fence.

My dilemma was how to get through the gate without some of them spilling into my pasture, which would be a nightmare to try to sort out. I tried to shoo them back away from the gate but they weren't having it. They know what my truck and cart are all about and all they wanted was to get to it. But I was pretty sure they would follow the cube cart so I took a chance and opened the gate and drove through and started putting out cubes along the fence on her side. They all followed me--except for one tiny little calf, which got on my side of the fence and was following the herd, but on the wrong side.

I'd gone a good distance, knowing there was no place for the calf to get across in the direction we were going, so I crawled through the fence (barbed wire that is strung pretty tightly) and walked back toward the gate twice, trying to drive the baby calf along, knowing all the while that it would never work. Trying to drive a small calf is similar to herding cats. I tried to call my niece for help a couple of times but there was absolutely no phone service out there and really, the two of us couldn't have done it anyway.

Finally, as I was trying my best to deal with the calf, while praying in earnest for a solution, the calf charged into the fence and managed to crash through it. I'd thought it might find its way through at some point but the fence is not real old and the wires are tight and I couldn't go off and leave it separated from its mama. I was very relieved and grateful. I went on and got my niece to go with me to put out hay.

By the time we finished it was past noon and my allergies had been stirred up by the wind and weeds and dust. So I got cleaned up and ate a peanut butter sandwich and settled in for the day. Then I got a call from the nursing home that my husband had tried to get up and had taken a fall. He wasn't hurt but they have to let me know when something like that happens. It begins to seem that every good day for him is followed by a bad one.

All of you stay safe in your upcoming nasty weather. We're turning cold again tomorrow too but I don't think we'll get any precipitation.

Thank you all for your kind words.

I was supposed to stay in the hospital overnight but I actually went home same night because they actually had none of my meds available at seven pm and then coming up on eleven pm (then seven am, three pm, seven pm and eleven pm the next day) and I need them to live so they asked if I would like to just go home that night.

At first it was, um, can you just bring your meds to the hospital (that seems like it would be improper because I could literally be taking anything instead of what I had went over in pre-op so they would be sure to had all prescribed meds on hand) and then it was well we are just going to let you go home tonight and I was like fine. That civilian hospital is not the best in community opinion anyway.

Then the doctor called next day and said that they removed a ton of scar tissue that was compressing the sciatic nerve along with two screws that were backing out and pressing into the nerve (third time my body has rejected screws) and since I did so well in recovery and was released same day (um, yeah thanks) that I need to start doing PT 4-5 times per day and I could go on and start today to learn the proper techniques so please hold to be transferred.

Yep so I have been doing way too much and killing myself to recover in a timely manner before the girls went back to school and my mom came up to "help out" (thankfully?) there was vehicle issues and my recovery improved along so well that I no longer needed her to rush here (first planned for Christmas, then pushed back to Little Christmas) up here and offer assistance.

Yes I was just saying I was fine to avoid having her rush up here and "take care" of me. I would have had to give her my bed and sleep in my recliner or the love seat or the air mattress and I just was like this is too much. Not trying to be unappreciative but she would be a lot to deal with while in pain and I am recovering physically.

But otherwise, things are progressing and I am making it and I appreciate being in your thoughts, as you all were in mine.

Herding cats, so funny.

OC: you are just an amazing woman! What a story -- what a day -- what an adventure! Thanking the Lord for your determination, compassion, and cleverness in helping that calf. Sure hope you rest and sleep well tonight. Thanks for sharing this with us all -- we are better people for knowing about it.

YPG: hope your pain stays managed and you continue to heal quickly.

Back