1-11-18 - Donuts and Weird Weather

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Hi everyone. It is a mild 41*F here with temps going up near 50* today.

Then rain, freezing rain, sleet, and finally snow all day Friday going into Saturday. We're supposed to get 8 inches of the white stuff along with near and below zero temps by Saturday. Poirot and Amanda are supposed to have that same weather system today into tomorrow.

I must get packed for school today. Doing vision screenings in early intervention classrooms for children with multiple disabilities.

Hope everyone stays safe today. Prayers continue for all of you.

YPG - Good to see you posting again. Hopefully your pain relief continues.

OC - I enjoyed reading the feeding adventure you had yesterday. You are simply amazing. That poor calf was probably so upset and scared that it couldn't get to mama, but you wouldn't give up on it..

36 at 6 a.m. tis now 32......temp falling. All the schools and various businesses are closed, just heard the list on radio. Towns near us are experiencing snow, (25 miles away, so guess it won't be long. Gonna try to quick run out over to WalMart for a couple things.....Don't know how long we will be stuck in.....they are still saying perhaps 7" of snow. Gonna get dressed, and race off.

Good morning, all ~

We've been having very mild temps here. Upper 40s to low 50s. Raining right now, and I think this system is going to stick around for awhile.

I went to the eye doctor yesterday. My vision, WITH MY CURRENT GLASSES, is 20/70. Ummm. I think I need some serious work done. Cataract surgery in the near future.

Wishing all a safe and cozy day.

It was close to 60 when Goldie and I had our walk. The rain chance here has gone
down which is good. Temperatures are going to start falling after 2. It's going to
be in the teens tomorrow morning. I'm staying home today because of my cold.

rs, I hope you have Friday off when the bad weather comes.

Poirot, hopefully you got to the store before the snow started falling.

Lil0, I hope you can stay home and miss the rain today.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Morning Everyone,

RS - Hope the screenings go well for you today and that you are able to help any children who need it.

Poirot - safe travels to Walmart. I hope you make it home before the yuck starts.

Lil0 - Hopefully the surgery will improve your vision.

Kat - fell better soon.

When I left for work, we still had temps in the 40's, but they are supposed to drop rapidly this afternoon with freezing rain and snow after. Hubby is none too pleased as he has to go out to take his drug test and finish the on-boarding paperwork for his new job. I can't say I'm thrilled about the anticipated weather either. Thankfully we have a clear agenda for the evening, so we can snuggle in and hope for decent travel tomorrow morning.

Wishing you all a blessed and safe day.

Oh, yukky, for sure. Did not seem to be doing anything when I left the house, but as soon as I got to the state hwy. I could see it had sleet/snowed, Within 5 min. it was snowing so I could see it. Got worse in just a few minutes......I was gone only about an hour. My internet seems to be going off for just a few seconds and back on, so the wind is having a good time with everything. It is dark, dreary looking, blowing snow, a very fine snow. A friend just called from International Falls, says they already got 6" there, & still snowing. My son left home earlier than he usually would for his appt. here in town, & luckily got in, even tho he was 45 min. early. LOL He said he drove slowly in, and perhaps will be driving even slower returning. Truly hope I don't have to go out again.

at 10: a.m. already 23°. Temp falling quickly. Keeping fingers crossed we don't lose TV!

@Lil0 - amazing how vision improves after cataracts removed.....Mandy, dont' think hubby will be having any problems since this won't start for you til this afternoon. You may not get the freezing rain, we did not, tho it seems to have sleeted some. You just be careful driving home from work. Maybe you can get out early???

RS, hope you are planning on going NO WHERE tomorrow. Same goes for OC...just stay home, and safe.

Hello. Yes, I am staying in today, except I may go to the mailbox (1/4 mi.) because I think I'll have an order delivered there by 1:00. Hope I beat the snow/sleet that is due here this afternoon. Seems like many are having similar weather, though to varying degrees. I don't know if it is all part of the same system or not. We are overcast, windy (may gust 40-50 mph), with dropping temperatures. My daughter-in-law in Fort Worth posted on Facebook that she took a walk this gorgeous morning. Clearly, our weather hadn't reached there yet!

Squirrel, thanks for the nice comments. I almost deleted my long post yesterday, thinking no one besides me is going to be interested in my day with cows. :rolleyes: God bless you for helping those children with vision problems! Two of my grandkids, 11 &12, have had their lives improved with glasses.

Lil0, if I can do it, you can do it. We'll encourage each other through this cataract thing. It makes me really nervous but I finally made a consultation appointment for the laser surgery, a couple of weeks from now.

Poirot, your son was wise to get started early, and so good that he got in early. I hope he has an uneventful trip home. Also glad you made it to Wal-Mart and back.

Manda, it's rough conditions today for your husband to start the process for his new job. After he makes it through today, maybe the rest will be smooth sailing. (We can hope)!

Kat, home is where you need to be, with that cold and falling temperatures. Stay warm and rest and get well soon!

Late yesterday I made a pot of vegetable beef soup for today. It will go good with this weather. Guess I'll put up some of it in the freezer. I'm not used to cooking for one. I would give some to my niece but neither one of us wants to get out today.

Poirot - I'm glad you got home safely, and that your son made it to his appointment slowly but safely. It's still 46* here, but the temperature should start dropping any time now. I don't think it's raining yet, but its been very cloudy all day and looks as though it could start raining/snowing at any moment. I highly doubt I'll get out of work early, although Gena was feeling a little under the weather. So if I get a call from school, then I'll have to go pick her up and finish up my day working from home.

OC - I loved reading about your adventure with the calf yesterday. Almost makes me want to buy a ranch. Too bad I can't put a ranch in the middle of the city. I'm glad you shared. It kind of reminds me of some of the Christian Romance novels I've read.:)

Good Afternoon Everyone.

Today the sky is filled with bright sunshine and not a single cloud everywhere. Looking out the hospital window it appears beautiful and I am grateful for clear skies. The dust is never missed. Some of you are experiencing more harsh, frigid temperatures and rain, sleet and snow: stay safe out there!

Squirrel: wishing you a joyful day completing vision screenings in early intervention classrooms for children with multiple disabilities. You have such a heart for these special children. Stay safe on those country roads!

Poirot: oh my that Walmart will be crazy busy! Take a pound of patience with you as you drive and then navigate a packed store. Thinking of you and hoping this storm passes lightly over head! Stay safe friend!
Update: glad you are safely home and your son will be extra careful driving home.

Lil0: your temperatures and weather sound pretty nice compared with most of the US. As for cataract surgery: my experience this summer was a good one. Laser is also available as an option. And then 20 years of good vision! Thinking of you. If you must venture out on the roads hope it is a short trip til the rain passes.

Kat: glad you are nursing your cold and avoiding any more exposure to pathogens. A little extra rest does wonders internally for a cold/virus//flu and Goldie surely appreciates your company today!

Manda: sounds wise to have a clear agenda and a safe night at home in the weather coming your way. Hope all goes well for hubby is completing his pre-employment status and officially recognized as a new employee. Moms at work are saying Girl Scout cookies sale begin soon so you will be very busy with your troop. And of course Gena will have her sales hat on again. Have a safe trip home tonight after work.

OC: you are our Pioneer Woman and heroine to most of us on this board. I always enjoy reading your ranching stories and think you are amazing doing all this while your husband is under care away from home. And the cataract surgery went so easily for me even though my diabetes caused it decades early, that I know you'll come out of this with flying colors. Thank goodness you are staying inside until this system passes. Country roads are dangerous with sleet, snow and then icy rain!

Time for this nurse to get back to work. Lunch breaks just don't last long enough some times. Thinking and praying for all of you. Stay safe, please!

Noel - you are correct, we can start selling cookies on January 19th (some areas are selling already). Gena is very excited as all of the rewards are elephant themed this year. She's shooting for 700-799 boxes so she can earn the elephant duffel bag. My co-leader is in charge of product sales, so most of that burden is on her shoulders, but I most definitely do help her out as it's a huge job. Hope you have a smooth day full of beautiful babies healing and going home.

RS - sounds like you have some awful weather coming your way. Hopefully enough time to get home this evening and get all prepared. Stay safe.

Poirot - you weather doesn't sound all that great either. Stay safe & hopefully get what you need at Walmart and get home.

Lil0 - this is the time of year that I wish I lived on the West side of the state. At my last eye exam they said I had a cataract starting too.

Kat - wow 60 degrees. I will take it. I'm also fighting a cold. Started with an awful sore throat and now in my head. It's my first cold since surgery in May so hopefully comes and goes like a cold should. Hope you feel better soon!

Mandy - good luck with your weather also! Crossing fingers everything goes well for your hubby today!

OC - I loved your ordeal story yesterday. Sorry you had to go through it but it was interesting to hear about. You have had a rough last month and your kindness for that poor little calf put a smile on my face! You're also right by saying anyone in a nursing home is 1 good day and then a bad.

Noel - Enjoy your beautiful blue skies for all of us here. I always just almost laugh when I read how we all deal with our weather. You despise the hot days and we shovel snow you would love to shovel.

We have been snowing since midnight. But for some ungodly reason, it's that snow that is coming down hard and wet but not accumulating at all. We were predicted to be getting 6-8 inches and our truck is just wet. It's supposed to turn to rain by noon but it hasn't. I was hoping my cold was better today because tomorrow is Ember's birthday and I can't miss that. But I wouldn't want to share it with anyone either.

Have a safe and warm day!

Afternoon all.

I'm stuck in the most boring of meetings. I too am having a cloudless, nice sunny day. Yesterday, I reported we were out of soap in the building bathroom. Management (landlord) then reported that the container was MISSING. Someone stole the soap dispensers. WHAT??

Hunny Bunny has the crud. The Bonsai Master coming this weekend has the crud. So the weekend is cancelled. He is booked for pretty much the rest of the year so my money is being refunded. So much illness going around. I'm hoping my flu shot is worth more than just a sore arm.

This meeting has no end in sight.

It is snowing so hard, and a car I see outside across the way is just covered, not quite buried, but gonna be a job cleaning it off tomorrow, I bet. The wind is really blowing it all around, so hard to tell accumulation, since we already had nearly 2 feet on the ground. LOL. Temp has now dropped to 15. It was coming in big flakes for a while, but is back to the fine stuff again, and so windy, blows snow off roofs, swirls it all around, so hard to tell.

I definitely do not want to be out driving, and certainly glad my son made it back home o.k. Did I mention my mail box is frozen shut? Yep, cannot open it. This happened once before, I had to bring a screwdriver with me to chop around the box door. This morning, I was not going back to do that again.

OC, I love your stories out there. That poor calf. Have been wanting to make big pot of chicken soup, and I just cannot find a whole or nearly whole cut up chicken. All the pkgs. are in "parts"......all drumsticks, or thighs, or breasts, etc. Frustrating. And I am not buying a bunch of pkgs, just to get what I need. Grrrrr.

Shan, you made me laugh. My daughter who lives in GA, figures it is the perfect place. Mostly nice weather, one or two small snows in winter months, gone in a couple days., trees turn color, lose leaves in fall....she gets the 4 seasons, and the bad ones are very short. LOL. Yep, bad storms at times, she says, but overall, better than up north, or Chicago, where she was born & raised. LOL

Kat......we have a metal cluster lock box.....about 20 mailboxes. Everyone has a key to their own box, and the entire thing was frozen. Guarantee the mail person doesn't make sure all the boxes are able to be opened.

Sort of looks like this....

beige-cream-cluster-mailboxes-n1029597-64_400_compressed.jpg

Back