1-12-2018 - Donuts & Marzipan

Noel

Reaction score
Happy Friday! Today is National Marzipan Day so of course at 4am I was making a batch to decorate cookies for us this weekend. I love playing with this yummy treat and want to design some new Valentine accents for our February 14th cake.

The weather across this country is interesting to say the least. Sure hope the worst of the blizzards have passed by all of you in its path and you can look forward to a great weekend. Plus, no snow shoveling!

Hope you have plans for some relaxation and fun this weekend.

Morning all.

I was busy last night letting folks know that the workshop with the Bonsai Master is cancelled due to illness on the master's part. Then relaxing at 10:20, a text comes in from my bank, BUT it appears someone is using my credit card in a town in California that I'm not in, nor did I authorize them to use it.

Long story short, I'm now in the midst of changing all my accounts, because, well, why not???? This one card is now over the limit, and the limit was quite high. The bank assures me I won't be responsible for the over limit charges, or purchases made without my permission. I'm just so happy to be doing this again.

It will be nicely warm here in the west this weekend, to drive Noel nuts. I'll do my best to get back today. Maybe during the afternoon meeting.

Stay warm.

Good Morning,

All the snow and freezing rain in the weather forecast was a bust. Yes, it rained but didn't freeze, thank heavens, and we only got a very light dusting of snow. I can't say I'm disappointed. However, the freezing cold is back, so there's that. Brrrr.

Tonight is family movie night at Gena's school. They will be showing "The Tale of Despereaux", which I know absolutely nothing about, other than the main character is a mouse. She's very excited to go. I'm glad that she's excited to do anything after months of barely being able to leave the house.

Noel - have fun with the Marzipan. Can you ship some Valentine's cookies up here? Gena would love them as a birthday treat on the 15th. :)

Robin - we just had the credit card fraud happen on one of my credit cards. We only use it for emergency vehicle repairs, so when we had over $300 in charges show up in December, we called the credit card company right away. Turns out they were used at a store in California on Dec 18th and Dec 25th. The card was cancelled and reissued with a new number and the charges have been removed. Now we're keeping a close eye on all of our other credit cards. I hope you don't have anything else bad happen.

Have a wonderful day!

Oh Robin, the credit card deal is just dreadful! I'd like to see the people who do this sort of thing hung up by their toes and punished severely.

Noel, I've heard of Marzipan but have never had it, as far as I know. I have only a vague notion of what it is but it sounds good.

Manda, I'm glad you escaped the freezing junk. Enjoy the family movie and try to stay warm.

It was 19* here this morning. Will get up to about 44*, I think, then back down to around 20* tonight. I can live with that, even if it feels uncomfortable when I go out. Wind is not as calm as I expected.

I made a good start on getting my tax information together yesterday. Still have a lot to do but at least I have a bit of an overview now, with things spread out on my long folding table. I'm halfway ready to go to the nursing home. Had better get on the move. I got two calls yesterday. Husband fell, for the second time this week. They also contacted the doctor to add a medication.

Have a good day, everyone.

A sunny, cold day here. My area of the state missed all freezing precipitation. I had hair
appt today so I had to get out in the cold.

Noel, I had to look up marzipan to see what it was.

robin, sorry about your credit card.

manda, I enjoyed the book "The Tale of Despereaux". I'll have to see if a library has
the movie.

OC, I hope your trip went well today.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day.

OC - sorry you're having so many troubles with your husband falling, hopefully he'll stop trying to get up soon.

kat - I usually prefer books to movies, unless I see the movie first, then sometimes I will like both. :) I like most cartoon movies, so I imagine this one will be good. I looked it up and Matthew Broderick, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, and Emma Watson do some of the voices. That should make it a little more interesting.

Robin: credit card theft is beyond exasperating despite all our so-called 'protections. " Sure hope your day is quick and easy so you can finally relax this weekend.

Manda: "The Tale of Despereaux" was liked by my children so hopefully Gena will enjoy it too. Also nice to know the weather wasn't as bad as projected so maybe your weekend will be more fun. Time to celebrate your husband's new job and Gena having such fun again.

OC: marzipan is almond paste, although it can be made with other flavors. It is like modeling clay in your hands to design flowers, shapes, words, etc for cake/cookie decorating. So sorry to hear about your husband falling again. Do they have an alarm on him yet? Enjoy your visit with him as best you can today.

Kat: sometime at a bakery or fair you need to taste marzipan so you can decide if you want to use it for decorations too. And of course you kept your hair appointment. We women are determined to look good in all kinds of weather.

Thinking of everyone: JS, Poirot, KT, Lil0, Newt, Red, Squirrel, Shan, YPG, DrBakerFan and wishing you a great day.

Last edited:
Well, we got hit hard with snow yesterday. The weather teased us all day and then about 2:00pm someone turned the switched. Predicted was snow turning to rain and warming up throughout the evening. Well, temps dropped and we got 6.6 inches of the heaviest wet snow you have ever seen. It was so heavy, Rick had a hard time blowing it. It would get plugged up and he would have to stop and unclog. I usually help, but with this cold, I thought it best to stay inside. I wrapped Ember's presents and had to bake a cake for one of our employees.

Shan: that is some snowfall. How sweet of you to bake a cake for your employee. Sure hope you get healthy quickly and Rick stays healthy in that cold. Take care and enjoy Ember's birthday party.

Thanks for the description of Marzipan, Noel. I didn't have time to look it up. Yes, they've had an alarm under my husband from the beginning, as they also did at the hospital, but I've said to myself, by the time anyone can get there after hearing the alarm, he will already be on the floor. That is apparently true. But at least at the nursing home the bed is not very high off the floor, and they did put in the rubber padded squares on the floor when he first got there so when he does fall, the impact isn't so hard. He had a very good day today--until it came time for me to leave. He stayed calm but he wasn't happy.

Shan, that much heavy, wet snow sounds pretty awful. I'm having visions of it turning to ice.

OC: that is good news about the alarm and floor pads. As long as you have been a part of your husband's life he must be very lonely when you leave daily. Bittersweet: deep love and separation anxiety. Rest up tonight and hoping Saturday is a great day for you both.

Back