1-15-2017 - Donuts & Fine Misty Day

Noel

Reaction score
Good Sunday!

I awoke dehydrated and looking out the window I could see a fine mist surrounding the houses across the street. When I opened the front door for a better view, the mist slowly wafted through the security door. It is beautiful! So I close my eyes and think of a fine misty snowy day. Of course it is 59F outside but I can always dream!

Thinking of each of you and wondering how your area is weatherwise. The weather channel has shown some frightening scenes with people's home damaged from ice, wind, and covered in snow. Did you see the picture of the home where snow plowed right through the front door?! Now, even for me, that is too much snow at one time.

Take care and be safe. Hope each of us has a nice quiet, warm healing day at home. Blessings.

A quick hi, good morning from me. The sun is out, 6 below zero. Have to get ready for church, have a good day all, Today is Sunday, a day of rest......take advantage. Hope you feel better, Noel. Am worried about Rocky, she is in OK. Bad weather.

Glad Daysdg had such a good time down in New Orleans......

Poirot: glad you have some sunlight in those frigid temps and that the roads are clear so you can go to town, church, etc.

Rocky: hoping you are safe inside, warm, and free from any storm damage.

Days: delighted your vacation was a wonderful one. Welcome home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. I talked to Mama yesterday and she finally admitted to having a hearing problem, probably because my brother also mentioned it to her. When I talk to her and she doesn't hear, it makes her come across as spacey (not listening, changing the subject, etc.) and I told her. She didn't like that, lol.

It took my dad a long time to admit he needed hearing aids. He would rather complain that we mumbled or didn't talk loud enough. After he got hearing aids, then he complained we were all talking too loud or making too much noise. :rolleyes:

I had a lovely sunrise this morning and looking forward to another day with a high of 78*. I got a flier in the mail yesterday about two beloved dogs missing in this area, so I'll keep a lookout for them, too.

Stay safe, everyone!

Morning all.

Yesterday was an interesting day taking stepmom out on her errands. We got to go to a shoe store!!! The owner of the store is 88 and wanted nothing more than to sell me a pair of shoes. He was a creepy guy and I had to just firmly tell him I was NOT interested. And then "Sir, I said NO!" I hate being touched by strangers. "Let me take your arm and show you what you want". Grrrrr.

Then to the post office, I took her out to lunch, then to Trader Joe's, then back home. We discussed getting a dog for her, but she feels she isn't home enough so it wouldn't be fair. Her grandson was to pick her up at 3:15 to take her to a Christmas party. He arrived after 4. I stayed with her till he arrived.

Today is ficus tree to the bonsai artist day. I'll try to post before and after pictures.

Stay warm and safe.

Good morning. We've got a fine mist again but above freezing. Thunderstorms possible after noon and tonight, then we clear out for the week, with sunshine and 50s* and 60s*. Yea! This is the part I like about winter in Texas.

Kt, I thought I saw wet weather for your area on the map this morning. Glad I was wrong. I hope your mother will get help for her hearing. I've seen exactly what you are describing, in some of my family. Yeah, I hear what you are saying about your dad and how he was with hearing aids. I've known some people who get them and then won't wear them. And then the high-tech ones they make now can be confusing for older people. Loss of hearing is one of many old-age problems that can be more frustrating for the people caring for the person than for the afflicted one him or herself.

Robin, it is good of you to take the stepmom out like that. I hope the grandson wasn't too late to make it for the party. The shoe sales guy sounds very creepy! I went to a shoe store a few years ago where the owner was like that (only, thankfully, not hands-on). I can't stand when sales people hover! Enjoy your bonsai day. Looking forward to pictures.

Noel, I was thinking earlier how it doesn't seem that long since you had a viral infection or some such sick spell that seemed to take forever for you to get over. I hope you can kick this one sooner than that, but it doesn't sound like you are improving very fast. Please feel better soon!

Poirot, enjoy your day of rest. Have an uneventful drive to and from church. You are brave to venture out in those temperatures, though I know it is not out of the ordinary for you in winter.

I also hope Rocky is okay and that we just haven't heard because she doesn't check in here so often anymore. I have a pretty good idea of where she is located in Oklahoma. While there probably is some ice in that area, the worst of it seems not to be so close to her. I have two friends (they are sisters), one is more in Rocky's area and the other in the OK panhandle. The one in the panhandle is without power (but has a generator) and has tree limbs breaking all around her house. The other hasn't mentioned any problems. They both keep their Texas relatives updated on Facebook.

KT: hearing aids cause sound to echo in the inner ear. The most advanced/expensive models are better at amplification, but that means all sounds. So background noise can be louder than the person the patient is listening to. My Dad had that issue and my Mom just refused to wear them. It frustrates everyone. Glad your sunrise was beautiful this morning. Sure hope someone responsible finds those lost dogs.

Robin: bless you for being so kind to your stepmother. Other than the creepy guy salesman, your Saturday sounded lovely. I always look forward to your pictures of your trees. Thanks.

OC: Glad your weather is warmer in Texas. My fatigue is gone, and so is my fever, so I am recovering from this virus nicely. Diabetics just take a little longer to heal because their blood glucose levels rise even if they scarcely eat in a day. Thanks for your caring thoughts. Have a lovely day.

Good morning everyone,

Sunny day here but cold. I'm getting some last minute things done before classes begin on Tuesday. I start back up at work on Thursday. I have to fill out a form for graduation in May. So excited!

Noel, I hope you're feeling better. Glad you're getting some cooler weather.

Has anyone heard from Rocky? I sure hope she's alright.

Have a nice day, all.

Another cloudy day and in the 50s. I can't complain can i :)

According to the weather map, parts of OK and Kansas are getting more ice today.
They are delaying a football game until tonight to make roads safer. Severe storms with
a lot of rain starts in Texas today and moves across the south. So far, my area of
the state will miss that.

DaysD, I'm glad you had a nice trip to New Orleans.

kt, if your mom hasn't already done it, put on closed captioning on her TV. I
tried to get mom to do that and she wouldn't. Enjoy your warm weather.

Noel, I hope you're feeling better after your restful weekend.

I hope everyone will stay warm and dry this afternoon and evening.

What a scary day at class it was. The master looked at my tree and said "Once you defoliate, I'll be back to help you". So I spent the better part of the hour removing all of the leaves. I asked, "are you sure I can do this?" He said "yes, this is the time of year they defoliate at the Huntington Garden".

So off went all of the leaves. Then he returned and some decisions were made and branches cut. This little guy will be in the plant hospital for the week then back out to his normal spot.

Here are before and after shots.

small Ficus back after.jpg small Ficus Back with leaves.jpg small Ficus front after.jpg small Ficus front with leaves.jpg

Learned some cool stuff on how to work with my bougainvillea too, and boxwoods. But as I don't have a boxwood, that wasn't as informative.

Robin: thanks for the pictures That really is a difference post defoliating the leaves! You certainly learned a new skill to teach other people. I am too scared my dogs will chew on Bougainvillea to have one. I never thought of potting one but my big dogs might chew on it anyway. Kudos on a great class.

Back