10/12/17 - Donuts & Real Columbus Day

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coffee is made, tea is steeping. Come on in and set a spell. Blueberry scones & apple turnovers, take your pick.

Awake at 4:30. Tis now 6 a.m. and still pitch dark. . Had a couple big long coughing spells during the night so am behind, way behind, in the sleep dept. Was glad to finally fall asleep and get SOME. No chance for napping as dr. appts this afternoon, etc.

Far behind on book work, bill paying, Ugh. Hope all is well with everyone. My son went home yesterday, was a big help as lots of stuff got moved, discarded. He had a huge box full of his college text books, so called the high school, who said yes, they would take them.

Hubby is the problem, wants to save everything, "just in case", still cannot throw anything away. Was frustrating to our son. But hubby is bored, so walks around inside, outside, (I call it spying) but he is just watching everything done, and ....well, no other word for it.....interfering. LOL

I AM reading Donuts, some other threads I sort of skim thru, Sorry if I am unable to comment on all your doings but when I can, I do. Take care of yourselves stay safe, and especially stay healthy. This thing is wicked I tell ya.

Forgot to mention......Son came across his Black Stetson.....OC will love this, and the boots........he lived in Texas for about 7 years, and when young, hit the bars where there was 2 steppin, cowboy hats, oh, he was all into that stuff. Has the big belt buckle. Well, the hat seems to no longer fit, so he is sending it to GoodWill. !!!!

Morning all. Don't overdo anything Poirot. Hope you get some more rest.

When my mom comes over she will not sit still, and will ask question after question when we're cooking dinner and follow you around. Then when we decide to finally sit and watch a movie, that's when she wants to go through our fridge and ask, "is this still good or does it need to be chucked out? I don't know mom. Don't worry about it now. I'm going to start leaving closets full of things that need to be thrown out for next visit. lol. I am kidding.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning.

It is a dusty sky pre-dawn morning. The sun will soon peak its glaring hot head over the horizon. We are still mid-high 90's for 10 more days. I am thoroughly exhausted, blue, from all this sun & heat. When I first moved here, we had 4 months reprieve. Last couple years only 2.5-3 months. This year they are speculating it will be less than that time span. So I am doing mental gymnastics to keep my mood elevated and try not to roll my eyes at one more person who says "who needs winter?" ME!!!

Today I have a long to-do list at home after work. Last night, after an emotionally exhausting workday, I watched tv until bed time. Tonight I will not have that luxury. "Good for the soul" my Mom would always say. I think I would like to be a kid for a day again and just be thankful for everything she did 24/7! Now, I know how difficult it is to be a wife, working woman, and mom all at the same time.

Poirot: thrilled just to read you have gotten some more sleep although by now I was hoping you sleep 7 hrs nightly. Maybe the doctor appointments will improve your sleep ration with new medications? I echo Muzza's sentiment: just rest, take care of you as priority #1, and the work will somehow get done later. Your son was a sweet blessing during this time of sickness, stress, and frustration. He's a keeper!!

JS: my mom was the same way. It was always "but we might need that some day!" Growing up in hard times mean people hold onto anything practical or sentimental that might be useful in the future.

Muzza: gotta love your mom. She's just looking for a way to continue spending time with you because you are now so resourceful, independent, and self-reliant.

Well, everyone, make it a great Thursday because tomorrow the week workday ends!!

Morning Everyone,

Poirot - I'm glad you were able to get a little more sleep. I understand your pain in the hanging onto stuff just in case. We had a microwave that would shoot sparks every time it was used, so I bought a new one. Hubby hid the old one in his closet, just in case. Then we moved. He had a broken ankle and the microwave mysteriously vanished between the old apartment and new duplex. He also decided we need to keep every carpet and padding scrap from when we installed new carpet into our house. I still have no idea why. Bigger pieces that could be used to make a rug or replace damaged spots would make sense. But 1/2 inch wide x 6 foot pieces are just useless.

Muzz - your mom sounds just like how my mother-in-law was, rest her soul. When do you transition into your new promotion?

Noel - I couldn't handle living in a place that's just hot all the time. I need my seasons too. Here's to hoping you can get away to a snowy place for at least a few days over the winter to recharge your batteries.

Well hubby's interview is today. Here's to hoping he walks out with a new job. Gena even told him to take the job no matter what hours it is or how much money. She told him he's too crabby when he's not working. I guess she's gotten my blunt-as-a-wooden-spoon way of speaking down. Some days she's so much like me I don't know if I should be proud or scared.

Hope you all have a blessed day.

Morning all.

Going to be another long day. I think we are going to the fair after work. Hunny Bunny's barber has a side gig of making creatures. Scary Halloween, ugly, creepy, creatures. They are featured at the fair, so we are going to go see the things. I purchased one of his "normal" busts. I call him Dave.

Dave.jpg

No word from cousin yet on if the house is still safe. But it is still early. This fire is so destructive.

Poirot - while moving my dad from the house to the condo, I uncovered an entire cabinet filled with baseball caps, so I put them all in a donation box. My dad went nuts. I was throwing out his hats. I had NEVER, as in NEVER, seen him wear a baseball type cap. I had to pick them up and tell them that he could donate them and get the tax credit. Or when he died, I'd donate them and get the tax credit.

He called me mean, and a few other not safe for this board words, but I didn't back down and we got rid of the hats. Now his Stetsons, I didn't even think of moving to the donation pile. We moved all 9 of them. I have since donated most of them. He was ever so NOT helpful in the move.

Please take care of yourself, and keep whatever it is you have on that side of the country. It doesn't sound fun and I don't want it.

Happy Thursday.

Manda: hoping for a good news update from you tomorrow that your husband was offered & accepted the new position. And, sometimes, a depressed dad needs a blunt word from their children. They are not defensive with the children, as they are with their spouse, and are more open to receive that kernel of truth! Wishing you a great evening celebrating some good news and a happier husband!

Robin: thanks for posting the picture. The barber could have a second career in sculpting and/or creature masks for Hollywood. It looks excellent to me. Ok, and a little creepy. Perfect for October & Halloween. Hope your day goes smoothly and you enjoy your evening.

Good morning. We're going to make it to 86* today, and into the low 90s* by tomorrow, for a couple of days before another front arrives. Not as hot as Noel and Robin but still rather warm, after being down to 40s/60s. I wouldn't mind it at all except for the mosquitoes.

I found a most interesting and simple remedy yesterday. Went to the mailbox and just getting from the truck to the house, I got viciously attacked by mosquitoes. Often, if I come in and scrub with Ivory soap I get relief but it didn't help at all yesterday so I got online to read about home remedies, since I am not comfortable with creams and ointments. Several people were saying hot water stops the itching. My reaction was, nothing could be that simple but it would be easy enough to try. Since my tap water isn't real hot, I microwaved a cup of water till it was as hot as my skin would allow, then I poured it over the bites on my arms and hands. I did it twice, for good measure. Much to my surprise and relief, the itching completely stopped! It didn't come back either. Some said you need to do it in a short period of time, maybe within 30 minutes of getting bitten. They were saying the reason it works is that the hot water deactivates or kills the mosquito venom. Now I'm thinking when I get relief from washing with Ivory soap, it probably is the hot rinse water that has helped, rather than the soap.

Manda, I'm hoping the best for the job interview. Loved hearing about Gena's intervention.

Poirot, it is funny you mentioned the black Stetson hat. It was only a couple of days ago that I was wondering whatever happened to mine. I think I still have a couple of the wide belts with my name on them somewhere but the hat is long gone. I guess it went the same place as my pink skirt with the black poodles on it.

Robin, I like the Dave bust a lot. Very realistic!

All of your stories about husbands or parents not wanting you to get rid of things is why I keep thinking I need to clean out things myself while I'm still able. Better to do it myself than to have someone else do it to me. Still, I can't seem to make much progress.

Hi everybody. Finally back to the office after another very rural school in my northern county. At lest this one isn't in the mountains, but it is in a huge state game preserve.

Muzza - I'm not sure if you saw my post from yesterday about the Black & Gold. Love your avatar. Just remind folks that Penguins co-owner Mario Lemieux, captain Sidney Crosby, and half the team are Canadian.

Poirot - I'm glad you got some sleep. Hopefully, each night gets better for you.

Amanda - Hopefully, your hubby listens to Gena. It is too bad that she thinks she has to be the adult in their relationship.

A warmer day than yesterday. A good morning at the library. The other day I started
putting books in teacher's had checked out. That's hard to do, but at least the number
sequence won't be too off when the books get back. I didn't realize the titles of the
books are on the box. Hopefully, I didn't miss any before Tues. Right before I left, I found
a book in the wrong bag of books. I already done it's home bag and it said one missing.
Not now. I guess some books haven't been looked at in awhile.

Poirot, I'm glad you got more sleep and your son has been able to help
pack. He should have
some things in his car when hubby wasn't looking.

manda, good for Gena for talking to her dad. I hope he heard her.

Noel, I hope your to do list isn't too long.

robin, enjoy your time at the fair. I love the bust.

OC, I'm glad you found something to help with mosquito bites.

I hope everyone has a good afternoon and evening.

I have to ask your opinion on something. Last night on the news they had a man on the news that had gotten a flu shot last year and now is paralyzed from the neck down. This man was a very healthy man all his life and never had a reaction to any shots. Then they interviewed a doctor who said he has his children immunized for all the childhood illnesses but he would never give them a flu shot.

I called our insurance provider today, and they said yes, this is all true and the percentages of people who have become paralyzed is growing every year. So I called my doctor's office and they said they would not on this but I should make an appointment to get a flu shot.

Has anyone else heard anything about the flu shot?

I've been getting flu shots for more than 20 years (the joy of being a diabetic), I've never had an issue other than maybe my arm would ache a bit for about a day. I even got the vaccine for bird flu, the year that was an issue, mostly because I was pregnant, no issues with that one either.

Good afternoon. Shan, the flu shot controversy sounds like the vaccines for kids issue. I'm sure you will make the best decision for yourself. I have found a tetanus shot hurts worse.

When my maternal grandmother died, my mother and aunt had a time going through her things. They knew how Nannie was, so they went through everything. Nannie had even saved tons of old bread bags, just in case. My mother and aunt even found what appeared to be an empty jewelry box, but under the lining was a precious pendant and the note my grandfather wrote when he gave it to her. It was unreal how many things she couldn't get rid of or hid, lol. Nannie was born in 1908, before we became a throw-away society.

KT - good thing your mom & aunt decided to check the lining of the box or that precious pendent would have been lost.

Well, hubby is home from the interview that wasn't. Apparently whoever contacted him (through my email) about the interview was mistaken and they aren't interviewing anymore. He wasn't offered a position at the moment, but he is on the "Hold List" to replace people who fail their drug test and background check. So while they aren't offering him a job at the right now, it's not to say that they won't at some point. I don't know if I should be grateful that he's still in the running or cry that he's still moping around the house.

Just an FYI......but I had a total of 3 hrs. of sleep last night. Guess I gave wrong impression. But some better than none. Earlier this week, one night I slept about 3 hrs. woke up coughing, but got back to sleep for 4 more. That was the only day in the past 12 days that I got more than 4. Usually it is 3. Last Sunday was ZERO.

As I said, this thing is a bear.

Regarding the flu shot, 2 years ago my doctor recommended the shot. I blew her off as I had every year. Then I got the flu. I called her asking for help. She told me that months ago she offered help in the form of the shot. I was on my own now. I recovered pretty quickly, all was well.

Then weeks later it returned. Ran a 105 fever for a couple of days and ached. It was terrible, but I recovered slowly. Last year I got the flu shot. This year, I got it and the next day felt like I'd been hit by a truck. But now, outside of weird itching at the injection site, I'm okay.

Would I recommend it? No. I think it is a personal choice. Hunny Bunny doesn't get it. Should he? Maybe. But it is his choice and there will be no "told you so" if he gets the flu.

I'd rather not get the flu. So I'd rather endure the injection itchiness.

I'm sure you will do your research and do what is best for you. And I will support whichever choice you make.

I've heard you shouldn't get flu shots if you're allergic to egg whites. I do eat eggs but I've tested allergic to egg whites. Since I don't react well to medications in general, I don't take flu shots. I've read pros and cons and couldn't advise anyone either way. I don't think people should be judged for their decisions on it. Robin, your doctor sounded unprofessional and uncaring, even if there may not have been anything she could do for you after the fact.

Kt, I loved your story about the pendant. My sister and I found stashes of cash for a long while after our dad died. I often wondered if he thought about what a nice surprise it would be for us, when he stuck it away, or whether he'd been saving it for a rainy day.

Poirot, I suspected as much about your sleep. You poor, dear person! You're in that vicious cycle where your body can't heal without rest and you can't rest until your body heals. Continuing to pray for relief.

Kat, I hope the librarians appreciate all the work you do to keep things in order.

Thanks everyone for your input on the flu shot. I have gotten a flu shot every year for the last few years but this news kind of threw me. His name was Dr David Williams. I was just curious as I had sinus surgery & 2 kidney surgeries this year & I'm kind of tired of the medical world right now.

Back