10/19/17 - Donuts & a Broken Foot

Y

YPG

So on Monday, in the morning, I was getting out of the shower and I lost my balance for absolutely no reason. Somehow I ended up doing like a pirouette, with all of my weight on my two end toes and the very ball & edge of my outer right foot.

I felt/heard a snap, crackle, pop and immediately saw bruising begin to form. I taped little toe to next toe to restrict movement & like brace it and carried on. I did not go to the doc immediately because I already have pain meds with anti-inflammatory, a hard shoe from last recent foot break and a cane I use regularly. Did not want to go to the doc just to waste time when my foot was already hurting so much.

Finally went to ortho yesterday because swelling & bruising was worsening and my mom & sister were concerned by updated pics I was sending. Doc says yep, foot and toe are broken, but, nope not much else they can do as I wore in hard shoe, have a cane & meds. If I got walking foot brace or cast, pressure would be on the lump on top of my foot, so I was like, no. I am supposed to stay off it for six weeks and that is that.

This morning I do have one appt I could not afford to cancel with digestive disease doc to see about esophageal stretching for my throat again. The one I had earlier this year worked great but symptoms of being unable to swallow and/or pain plus choking on food are returning so may go bigger this time but that has more risks. Today is to assess and discuss.

When I make a Donuts thread, after posting I always feel that my posts are way too wordy so I need to go back to condense and reword things. I find that I use the word "so" quite a lot and always have to find a better way to start & continue sentences. Please forgive my scattered and sprawling thoughts.

Hope everyone is doing well with work, home, family, social life, making moves and everything in between. I am always reading but do not post here as much anymore because my health does not permit. I am excited that I have been able to be more active in the forum once again because you all are just great.

Good morning to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, my gosh, what a time you are having YPG! I still have my walking cast/boot from when I broke a bone in foot, and all I did was walk cross the kitchen floor! I am feeling for you. Also remember a friend who had to have the stretching thing, but seems she had to go once a week for several weeks. Hope you get positive news and the healing goes quickly. I am a slow healer so I truly feel for you.

Sun is rising, there is a huge dark orange glow in the sky to the east. Going to miss seeing this over the lake in the a.m. Another lovely, warm day due today, but Friday the cold front arrives. More packing and another run into town, dr. appt. run into store, etc. etc. Errands, I hate it all. Wish I was Jeannie and could just twitch my nose and it would be all done. LOL

Good morning everyone. The morning started off cold again, but at least I didn't have to scrape the car windows at 6:45. The temp is supposed to go above 70* . That is just crazy as it should be in the low 60s or high 50s this time of year.

I get a reprieve from traveling the interstates to other counties today. Instead, I get to work at an afternoon health fair in a senior citizen high rise about 3 miles from the office. Very few people ever show up for this one even though they only have to take the elevator down to the first floor.

YPG - You just can't win. It is always one thing happening on top of another.

Poirot - I know you'd rather just go back to bed than face all of your chores today.

Good morning everyone!

Ouch, YPG! I hope you heal quickly.

Poirot, sounds like you have an incredibly long day ahead.

Rs, welcome to my fall weather. You need a jacket early in the morning but by noon you’re sweating but still need to hang on to that jacket for when the sun goes down.

I’ve been awake since 7 and I don’t go to work until 3. I hope I can sneak in a nap or by 9 tonight I will be sleepy which is no good when you have to count all the money in the store.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Good morning. YPG, I really feel for you. It was almost a year ago that I fell and broke my foot. If this is of any encouragement to you, last week I was trying to remember which foot it was that I broke! It will get better, just takes time, but you've been through it before and already know that. Finally realized I still have a kind of lump on top of that foot. I pray your appointment with the gastro doctor goes well this morning. I've known people who've had that procedure and it sounds so painful. I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds. These old bodies can sure deal some misery, and you're too young to have so much distress.

Poirot, hope you get through all of your doings today with less coughing than yesterday and the day before. I've been wondering, will your son still be able to go out in the area and hunt, after you have moved? I know there are different hunting situations from one state to another.

Squirrel, I'm glad you get a break from traveling today. You'd think even old people would get on an elevator and show up for screening!

IamRed, I've noticed that your temperatures often run close to what ours do. Kind of surprising to me. I hope you get a nap today!

We're in the low 50s* this morning, will reach low 80s*. Chances of rain starting tonight through the weekend. Haven't decided what to do today. I'd planned to get the truck license renewed when I was in the county seat town the other day but then remembered I have to get it inspected first. That means driving it to another town in the opposite direction. So 25 miles east and back, then 20 miles west for the license. Nearly 100 miles just to get my license renewed! I'm probably going to put that off, since it isn't due right now and I've already been on the go enough this week. Was just hoping to get all the loose ends tied up. I probably should go out and check on the cows instead. Right now, I need to get some breakfast.

Morning Everyone,

YPG - gosh, when it rains it pours. I hope you're on the mend soon.

Poirot - Prayers for a smooth and productive day for you and hopefully healing and recovery from your illness.

RS - I bet it's a relief to not have to travel far today. Enjoy the short commute.

Red - I hope you can get your nap.

OC - that sounds like a lot of work to register a vehicle. Makes me so much more appreciative of just being able to mail in a check to the DMV and get that sticker in the mail 2 weeks later.

The girls were so excited to finish their First Aid Badge last night at Girl Scouts. They loved making their own mini first aid kits, complete with alcohol swabs, regular and knee size bandages, ace bandage wraps, bandannas, safety pins, tape, gloves, gauze pads, non-latex gloves, and Life Savers.

Gena was so proud to explain that we had candy in the kit in case someone has low blood sugar and that the piece of candy could save their life. While she's not diabetic, she's very aware that I am so she likes to know what to do in case I need help. They also got to use the extra stuff to practice bandaging and splinting each other. Which was funny to watch as they made splints out of rulers, pencils and bandannas.

Not much on the agenda today other than my appointment for the parent teacher conference (only 15 minutes) and making sure everything is ready for the exterminator tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone!

Good Morning.

I keep waking up near 4am due to my regular schedule. My body just won't adjust this quickly to a 7 day change. So I did see first light shine peachy-gold under the few clouds before the sun burned them away. It was beautiful. Our low was 79F and seriously some people here call that "cold"?!?!

So I ran to Walmart Supercenter only to be reminded they are not open 24/7 anymore. Did I ever feel silly. So I came home empty handed but made cut out Halloween cookies. Tonight we watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and Toy Story Terror and kiddos need cookies! It's a routine family celebration. And I may be a child at heart because I just love the Charlie Brown specials!

YPG: ouch! The slow healing process requires such patience and you already have so much going on in your life. Sending prayers for quickest healing possible and an easier path forward for you.

Poirot: your to-do list sounds longer than yesterday's, if that is possible. Hope you did get some sleep/rest and the coughing spells are at least farther apart and shorter. Thank goodness your son was able to help you this week. I am certain you will miss the beautiful lake views season in and season out but you always have your memories. And you can visit friends at the lake too!

Squirrel: enjoy your short commute and slow paced day. That has to be a change from your regular long-distance driving and busy clinic days. Hope your evening is both relaxing and fun.

Red: I feel for you having your sleep pattern disrupted. Hope you get that nap today and hope the store balances at closing quickly and easily!

OC: your schedule is complicated by having to drive so far to conduct business. Crazy when some states let you do the entire process by mail. Hope you find your cattle lazily browsing in the fields with no fence complications. Enjoy your nice weather too!

Manda: Kudos on a successful Girl Scout's badge earning class! So proud that Gena knows how to respond to her diabetic Mom if needed. Hoping for a quick parent-teacher conference so you can complete your preparations for the exterminator tomorrow. What a relief to have every vampire bug d-e-a-d!!

Wishing everyone a safe, productive yet relaxing day!:)

I woke up coughing this morning so I'm home again. My eyes were watering too.
I walked two times around this morning. I need to get better because I have
plans for Sat and Sun evenings.

YPG, sorry to hear you broke your foot and toe. I hope you heal quickly and were
able to get to your other doctor today.

Poirot, I hope you are able to pack and get all your errands done.

rs, I'm glad you don't have to travel too much today.

red, I hope are able to get your nap in before work.

manda, I'm glad the Girl Scout meeting went well last night.

OC, I hope you try to have a restful day.

Noel, enjoy your family time tonight.

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

YPG, welcome to the Spectator Self-Editing Club! :) Sorry to hear about your foot injury. Does your shower have a grab rail? That is something I should have in mine!

I slept for 7 hours last night! May have been due to bunker effect, as the eye procedure looms.

Manda, it's good to hear about your troop's first-aid training! It's really amazing that the subject doesn't seem to be taught in our schools; it should be given a much higher priority!

Hoping for a better day for all of you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. It has been a bit chilly here, at least overnight, so I had to break down and order some propane for my heat. Propane gas is $2.39/gallon, grrr, and that's if I buy 100 gallons or more.

OC: It's a real pain that you have to drive all over to get your tags renewed. We don't have vehicle inspections, so I can renew mine online (for an extra $2.50 fee).

Remmy has not been cooperating with me when I want to take a picture of her rainbow. I have black sneakers on, so I just stuck my foot in the rainbow and made it kt's rainbow, lol.

myrainbow.jpg

Take care.

Its funny how different everyone’s experience is with getting tags renewed. I can renew my registration online and it saves me $1 and I don’t have to stand in line at the DMV. I have to get my car inspected but it doesn’t affect my ability to renew my registration.

A. Guy, when is your eye procedure?

Manda, it's so neat the Gena has a mindset to learn about diabetes so she can help you or others, if needed. I think she's going to grow into a responsible young lady. What fun the girls had with first aid!

Oh Kat, I do hope you improve enough to be able to continue with your weekend plans!

Noel, even I don't think 79* is cold! Oh no, going to a closed Wal-Mart would be a quirky feeling! Sorry, but it made me laugh because I could see myself doing something like that. Enjoy the family movies.

For reasons that I don't know or understand, we can't renew our vehicle licenses by mail but it seems to be a county thing rather than state. I'm pretty sure much of the state can do it by mail. The notice for renewal comes with a mail-in slip with it. It also says it can be done online. But I was told at the sheriff's office a few years ago that we can't do it in this county. I'm going to ask again. It doesn't have to do with the inspection thing, which is a state law, but only since last year do we have to do it at the same time as license renewal. Hey, there are some places in this county that don't even take credit cards! The cafe my niece and I went to a couple of days ago is a case in point.

IamRed, our inspection and renewals were not connected until the new law was passed last year. One good thing is I never have to wait in any lines. Our renewals are done in the sheriff's office and usually there is no one ahead of me. One person at the most.

Kt, it is funny that renewing online costs you $2.50 extra and saves IamRed a dollar. I'm going to ask my niece what propane costs here, out of curiosity. I haven't bought any in a long time. Wow, that is a very bold rainbow reflection on your shoe and the carpet! I bet is looks beautiful on Remmy's black coat.

Good chilly morning, at least here in Sacramento. I have been away from normal fall temps for too long.

Heading to Apple Hill today need to get a pie and pumpkins.

YPG - ow ow ow. I hope your foot pain lessens, and the gastro guy can provide a longer lasting answer.

I'll try to check back in later.

A. Guy, post: 647031, member: 8950"]Spectator Self-Editing Club!

AGuy: Aha! I also am a member of this club. In fact I choose dark green to post but then later see it was dark blue. Glad you rested well! What is the date of your eye surgery?

KT: love how clever you are to take a picture of the rainbow on background of your black tennis shoe!! Ouch to the propane fees. I have family who still rely on it for heat and the winter total cost is not pretty.

Robin: apples & pumpkins definitely mean Autumn!! Enjoy Apple Hill and the lovely cooler weather you are enjoying on vacation!

Well dark green/dark blue are the deepest colors available. And yes I was told not to use reds, lighter colors, etc. So for months I have only used the darkest tones available.

Okay, JS, I will try to remember that going forward. My phone is an old one so I always wonder if the color showing up would match my tablet/laptop at home. Sorry to inconvenience the moderators. I am a color diva -- I admit it! - and chose color always. I am practicing now using black: boring as heck, but clearly seen.:)

YPG - so sorry about your foot. Thank goodness you already had the pain pills. I have missed you posting and have wondered how your girls were doing?

Poirot - I wish a Jeannie could help you too! I feel so bad for you and when you mentioned losing the beautiful view of the lake in the morning. It reminded me of my folk's place.

RS - our low was 56 and the high is 59! At least the rain has stopped. Enjoy your reprieve of no interstates today.

Iamred - Shift work has got to be hard on the body. Not going into 3 would make the day seem 2 days long for me! Good luck on getting that nap today.

OC - that sounds like quite the running around just to get a sticker on your car. We to can mail them in and usually is cheaper. We have long line at our licensing centers. For our boat license, we forgot to send it in and had to go stand in line from 3:30 until 5:45. They close at 5:00 but if you're in the building at 5:30 they lock the door and wait on everyone there until everyone is done.

Manda - Gena is so smart! That is a very good thing to know as it seems everyone is diabetic any more.

Noel - I wish I was at your house tonight. I haven't seen those movies in ages. Enjoy, but you'll probably need a nap too.

Work is calling, have a great day.

OC, Noel, I am to arrive at the hospital at 8:00am, Friday. Procedure will probably be at 10, or 11. It will be a long day. :rolleyes:

Was looking at foam sealers at the hardware today, and noticed one type that is intended to seal openings that mice use to gain entry, i. e. gaps around pipes. The unusual (to me) thing is that this foam has some kind of poison in it.

While at the hardware, picked up a jug of "the best" drain cleaner. The employee suggested that I smear some grease on the chrome stopper, because the cleaner is strong enough to discolor it. :eek: :eek: :eek: I recall enough about chemistry class to be extremely careful re such things!

Back