10-4-17 - Donuts & Darkness

katmouse

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Goldie and I went out at 6:15 with a flashlight to the beat the rain this morning. It was supposed to rain all night, but it didn't. Goldie saw her friends and made some new ones that were waiting for the bus. We also saw a gray cat. It went right to Goldie and rubbed on her. It might be a cat that used to belong to the people who moved out the house I mentioned last week. When we went around again, we didn't see it. Today is school library day since I was busy yesterday.

I hope everyone has a best day possible.

Good morning everyone. Oh, how I hate going to work in the dark. Soon it'll be dark when I come home, too. I finally put the timer back on a lamp since I don't like going into a dark house.

Kat, that is so sad that people would just leave their pets. I bet Goldie has a lot of friends on her morning route.

Just arrived at a college preschool lab in our Amish area. Time to get to work.

Good morning, finally did get some sleep last night, though I woke up frequently. Sun is shining, a nice sight after 2 days of rain. Am behind in my packing now, and will probably get further behind, since I really don't feel "up to par". And of course, am behind in bookwork, etc. now. Grrrr.

Agree, tis weird to wake up to darkness, when the same time a month ago it was light. But, we are headed towards the shortest day of the year now, so, to be expected, I guess. Have to say, we are still not at full color, or even half color. How very odd.

Enjoy your day, folks.

It is long day Wednesday. Early start to work, followed by a bonsai meeting. Yippee. AND, I get to get my flu shot today. Since I'll be traveling all this month, and being around a bunch of folks that aren't immediate family in the next couple of weeks, I thought I'd better get it sooner rather than later.

I love this time of year, but not on days that I have to drive to work. Drive into the rising sun, then work all day, and drive home into the setting sun. Right at my eye-line. Maybe I should lift the Subaru.

Capture.JPG

Yeah, that ought to do it. No more sun in MY eyes.

I've been avoiding the news as it still appears to be 90% Las Vegas news. Now they are talking about how people are feeling stressed and depressed about mass death and stuff. Ahhh, ya think maybe not talking 45 minutes out of each hour about the "news from (insert latest mass killing)" with no new news might help?

We will never know why this guy's cheese slid off his cracker. He just woke up one day and thought I need to do this, and he did. "Why?" will never be answered and really knowing won't bring anyone back or pay any of the victims hospital bills. robinsnest stepping off her rant box.

Have a great day.

Happy Wednesday! At least it is the middle of the week. :)

Kat: I love the visualization of you, Goldie and flashlight walking down the side walk! Reminds me of the yellow slicker, hat, boot days of childhood. So glad Goldie saw her old/new friends. Hope your day is rain free, clear, and a great day to complete your schedule at the library.

Squirrel: how I wish it would get dark early here, but even then I use a battery-operated candle, on timer, so there is light when I open my front door. It is somehow more welcoming I think. Like you, I just cannot understand how a human being can ditch their pets just because they are moving?!?!:angry::sad: Enjoy your day at the Amish school. Hope the drive home is beautiful, peaceful and relaxing.

Poirot: just thrilled to read you did sleep some last night!! That is the best way to start healing. Since family will be coming they can help you finish packing. Whatever you put on your schedule today, please remember to place yourself at the number one spot!

Robin: yes, the blinding sunrise/sunset sun scenario is the worst here than anywhere else I have ever been and driving in it is exasperating. And dangerous as the number of auto accidents accelerates until early Spring.

I kept changing channels last night trying to find something relaxing to watch due to all the so-called "news breaks" that repeated information given that morning.:rolleyes: Tonight I have two shows to watch, what a relief. I care and pray for the families of the deceased, and those recovering, but sticking a microphone in their face and asking "how does it fee?l" absolutely infuriates me! And they justify that by saying "the public has a right to know!" What we want them to know is that we are shedding tears with them, praying for them, hurting with them and wish we could ease their pain. Ever hear a journalist say that? :sarcasm:

A quick hello. Cloudy and wet here. We had light rain overnight, a quarter of an inch. My niece is supposed to come over and help me with some things outside this morning but I doubt she will until it dries out some. I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night so I won't do much except when she comes. Wishing all of you a good day.

OC: awww, it's either you or Poirot who have so much to handle with insomnia! So sorry pioneer lady. I do hope your niece shows up after the rain absorbs a little and help you with chores. Maybe a mid-morning nap until she arrives will restore your energy level a bit. Thinking of you.

Hi everyone!

We’re starting to warm back up. The high today will be 78.

I’m glad I don’t have cable or satellite. I’m over the 24 hour news. They only make things worse by repeating the same thing over and over again.

The sun this time of year as it rises and sets is the worst. My husband is one of the lucky individuals that gets to drive blindly into it twice a day on the most accident prone stretch of road in the area. Makes me glad my drive is only 5-10 minutes and no highway involved just lots of stoplights.

Kat, glad you and Goldie had a nice walk and met some new friends. People who abandon pets should never be allowed to have another one.

I’m just relaxing until I have to go to work. I still need to take a shower.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

Robin, as you know, that rising/setting sun thing is very dangerous, and not too much can be done about it. I wear dark sunglasses, and lower the visor. My last defense is a baseball cap pulled down as low as possible. And after all that, sometimes it is still unsafe. I can't help wondering how those other folks surrounding me on the road are coping. :eek::eek::eek:

I was finally pretty-much-forced to buy a new laptop, yesterday. Set-up was the usual nightmare; I turned out the lights at 3:15am.

Was surprised to discover that Internet Explorer is really not around anymore. And my Kaspersky anti-virus program (which had over 400 days remaining on my subscription) would not work with Windows 10. :angry:

Downloaded a fresh subscription ($) I imagine that the fun will be ongoing over the next few days. Have resolved that the Geek Squad will be helping out considerably, next time!

It's 77* here; no furnace running, today. :) Supposed to rain, but I don't see much of it on the radar view. This is buffet Wednesday, will see if my resolutions hang tough. :rolleyes: They have terrific pot roast. :rolleyes:

I hope all of you will be able to mitigate stress, and have a very nice day!

The school I was at today (and again tomorrow) is a preschool lab at a small Presbyterian liberal arts college that just happens to be sitting smack dab in the middle of Amish country in Western Pennsylvania. A psychology professor and an early childhood education professor are in charge of the school that is in one of the science buildings on campus. They have 3 other teachers plus college students who have to have so many hours working there for their major labs.

Has anyone seen Venus and Mars in the low eastern sky early in the morning ? By the time I leave for work at 6:45 AM, I can only see Venus. The light coming over the horizon for the approaching sunrise obscures Mars for me. Earlier than that, and they're both hidden by the trees in my woods behind the house.

A. Guy - I use the free AVG antivirus, and have never had a problem.

OC - I think you've been getting all of my rain. We're officially in a drought. The grass is dried up like straw. The weather folks said that is also contributing to our leaves going straight to brown and falling. No pretty colors here this year. I guess also being 82* today instead of 60* hasn't helped much either.

AGuy: everyone I know who upgraded to 10 or purchased new computers is angry at the changes. Many of them had a thumb drive or photo transfer that totally failed. I refused to upgrade and keep my old, slow laptop to avoid just that experience. Fingers crossed it goes better for you. I use free AVG too and recommend it highly.

Squirrel: oh how sad that drought has eliminated Autumn beauty in areas of Pennsylvania. Dust layers make it hard to see even Venus here most of the time. Hope KT can help you.

Sunny again today but a little warmer when I got up. It was 41. No rain in sight but it's supposed to get really windy starting Friday.

Last night the granddaughters came over for a couple hours. We had a lot of fun with the kitty. They are so gentle, even Harlow who is only 15 months, she would slightly pat her. I was more afraid of the kitty scratching them. Then we lost the kitty and the girls walked all over the house yelling "kitty, kitty, kitty!" We finally found her in a closet, sleeping. I think Pumpkin got tired of playing. LOL!

I hope everyone has a great day.

Red: thanks for explaining the temperate range in your home area.

Shan: little Pumpkin was probably exhausted too. Your granddaughters sound delightful. What a lovely way to spend the evening.

Newt: happy to read you are enjoying the weather and beginning of Fall.

Noel, Squirrel, guess I should have checked around for free anti-virus! One good thing about the one I bought, is that they were continuing to protect the XP operating system. Microsoft abandoned XP users a while back, warning that they would no longer be updating, etc.

Forgot to mention that the Win7 laptop had been running very hot, which was worrisome. The Best Buy salesman suggested using an air compressor to blow into the fan-vent slots. :eek: I passed on the compressor, and used a can of clean air on it. Didn't see any lint blow out, but it seems to've solved the overheating problem. :)

I'm willing to spend a little on the Win7, to keep it going for a while. Was thinking about a new hard drive; I think I can replace it myself. Opening it up will also give me a chance to clean out any visible lint. :)

Hi Everybody,

Sorry to be so late today, but I had an all day training at work on diplomacy and tact, in an effort to soften the blows from my normal blunt-as-a-wooden-spoon technique of having conversations.

I'll have to catch up on all the goings on tomorrow, as I'm now buried under normal work. :rolleyes:

It's been raining here since I got home after school. We've been needing rain.

I've stopped watching TV news when Katrina came. I get a paper and read
the news
that way. I, also, see things on Twitter.

OC and Poirot, I hope you both sleep better tonight.

It's time now to walk Goldie around house. I'll put on my boots and raincoat.
Towel is waiting by the door for her.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

AGuy: smart thinking! Hope it now runs smoothly.

Manda: hang in there when training; it just gives you less time to accomplish more work. You can do it!

Kat: enjoy your evening walk with Goldie.

Back