11/14/17 - Donuts & Blueberry pancakes

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning folks, almost titled this with our yukky weather, but decided breakfast is better. After all, tis early and still dark.

Oh, my gosh, I just remembered something, too funny. When hubby & I were dating, both he & my mom worked nights, so frequently, as she walked home from the hospital, he was just arriving home from work, (she walked right past his house), so she would invite him for breakfast. This one time it was pancakes, and he was just enjoying them immensely, then commented to my mom (Mind you, I was not there, having been off to work)...that he had never before had blueberry pancakes. Mom was startled, confused, as .....she had not made blueberry pancakes.

And to make a long story, even longer, lol.....We lived on 3rd floor, big apt. bldg, and had a mouse who lived and ran around in the walls, we could hear him, nicknamed him Oscar. Once in a blue moon, he ventured out, but we would see "evidence" that Oscar had been out in the pantry, looking for goodies. Mom tried to keep everything sealed up tight, but evidently, Oscar found his way into the pancake mix. Ooooh, I can hear you all going......Ohhh, YUK! Well, you can imagine my very young hubby, and my very embarrassed mom. LOL

Dreary days in store here. Temps to be in low 30s, but maybe rain, maybe not, fog, maybe some snow, maybe not. When the temps hover, even the weathermen don't know what the humid conditions will produce. I still want that job...Where else can you get paid for being wrong. :rotfl:

Nope, just a little mouse, Saw him a few times, no idea why never a trap. Being he ran around inside the walls, or behind the walls, he probably visited other apts. as well.Never in any other part of the apt. Mom had a metal cabinet for the food items, cans, boxes, and usually kept the door shut, but, it would get left open on occasion. Pantry shelves held the dishes, glassware, etc. Thing was, never could figure out, or find Oscar's entry/exit. LOL

Morning all. I thought I would pop in before going out today.
It's going to be cloudy with rain off and on.

Poirot, I have never had blueberry pancakes.

I hope everyone has the best day they can.

Morning all.

Blueberry pancakes, the real ones, sound really good right now.

I had a bad night. Gut issues. Something I haven't had in a year being on this diet. Read up on the new medication my regular doctor prescribed and gut issues make the top 10 side effects. So I'll try for another couple of days. But if this continues after 7 days, I'll go back to the old medication.

Today is the drive to the office day.

Sad to say we didn't hit 90 in my neck of the woods yesterday. 88 is where we topped out, 11 degrees above normal. Today we are cooling down to a chilly 87. I know, I guess I live in Salem or something. But if we are going to be 11 degrees above normal, I'd rather it be now than in July. Normal 105 +11 = 116. Yes, now even though it isn't fall-like, it is more comfortable.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Another very warm day in Phoenix, as Robin already described for you. There just are no words left for me. The only way to know it is Autumn here is to read family, friends and your posts about beautiful Fall weather. Enjoy.

Today is one in which I will be doing a fair bit of lifting, but my muscles are still sore. My grandma would always say that "works out the stiffness" so I hope she is proven correct today. Still, Advil is in my pocket, just in case.

Thinking of Squirrel and hoping her trip is a great one!

Poirot: I laughed so hard I almost fell off my stool when I read the pancake story. Like JS I am glad I was sitting down when I read that story. Mice are so very resilient and very hard to remove from your home. What a memory to share with your grandkids and great grankids!!

AGuy: good Tuesday morning. No more rodent stories, please. [wink]

Kat: hope your luncheon and time with your bible study friends is a great one today. Also hope the weather is pleasant enough to add to your enjoyment.

Robin: sorry to read about your gut issues. That is not a nice side effect. Hoping your body adjusts to the new medicine if it is better for you, but glad you have in reserve the previous medication without side effects. So is your A/C still humming in the afternoons like mine?! Sheesh.

KT: :rotfl::rotfl: So weevely true!

Let's all keep our sense of humor and have a great day!

Good Morning,

Barb - too funny about the mouse and your husbands pancakes. We get a mouse in the house occasionally, but my sweet kitty cat is quite the huntress and will go days without eating if she traps one and can't get to it. Although, in the last place we rented, we weren't allowed to have pets and we had a nasty mouse infestation.

I kept all the non canned food in coolers to keep the mice out. I'd set out traps in the kitchen. Within about 10 minutes after turning off the light, all 4 of them would snap. I would do that from 6pm until I went to bed and probably could have continued all night. I think we set and emptied traps for the better part of 2 months. I shudder just thinking about it. I'm so glad we moved out, and now the house has been torn down to build an athletic field for the high school that was next door.

Robin & Noel - um, enjoy the cooler spell, if you can call it that :rolleyes:

JS - I'd have a hard time eating that too after Barb's story.

kat - hope you enjoy your time out of the house
A.Guy - :rotfl:

OC - I hope you're feeling better!

Another chilly day, but slightly warmer than yesterday. Gena has informed me today that I'm the worst mom ever, as I won't let her watch videos on her tablet until she's ready for school, after almost being late today. I told her she has 2 choices. Get up an hour earlier or leave the tablet alone until she's ready. Apparently she doesn't like either choice. Do I care? Not really when you consider if she's late for school, then I'm late for work. We can't really afford for both hubby and I to not be working. I wish I could be this little dude right now, :wine:

Have a good day everyone!

Hi from Cdnsnowbird!

I've been away for about a year and am glad to be back reading The Salem Spectator! Chose to give Days a rest last year, but in speaking to a friend yesterday, she indicated the show was exciting once again.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday reading the daily summaries from Oct 1st to current date, catching up on who had done what to whom etc. Many thanks to all those who spend their precious time writing those summaries. I learned a lot and laughed a lot at the member comments each day.

Then I watched Monday's episode. So glad to see Will, Sonny, Susan, and of course, Rafe! (Sami, not so much)

Although I don't post often, I think this is a wonderful site and plan to keep watching Days and visiting here frequently.

Best wishes to all!

Well thanks, Poirot. I make blueberry pancakes for the hubby all the time. It will probably be awhile before I do now though. Yuk

Kat - I hope you made it out and about before the rain came.

Robin - I hope your gut is better. I have lots of stomach issues and it isn't fun.

KT - that is funny. Not really!!

Noel - I hope you aren't too stiff & sore today. What are your lows at night now?

Welcome back, Cdnsnowbird!

Another school shooting this morning. My husband and I were just talking last night about Ember being home schooled and the pros and cons. He said you know it's really rare these shootings happen at a grade school. Sometimes you just want to take a hammer and hit. Oh never mind, that's awful!!!

Cool but sunny today! Have a great day.

Manda: being a good Mom = kiddos thinking we are mean sometimes. Since we know who we are that is hardly upsetting. Love that you give Gena choices in reality. Hope your evening is a peaceful one.

Cdnsnowbird: welcome back to the Salem Spectator. It is good to have you posting in Donuts. Enjoy the show today and come back for more fun.

Shan: our low last night was 72F for less than 1 hour. You know, with what PC garbage they teach in schools now (like at Halloween it is cultural misappropriation to dress up as another person) I seriously have thought of home schooling! The violence nowadays just strengthens that argument to me. You are comforted by knowing Ember is safe and taught facts & truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, kids can no longer be cowboys, Indians, Princesses, Knights, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Capt. Kirk, ???? Really?

Been a long time since I saw kids dressed up for Halloween, & have to confess, I don't pay attention to the displays in the stores.....what the heck is going on?

Poirot: yes, they tell the kids it is "offensive, insensitive and insulting to pretend you are if another culture". So if my daughter dressed in a Sioux princess costume she should feel guilty for admiring their tribe and culture. And you must never use the "racist term indians" but only refer to native Americans. Etc, etc, etc. :rolleyes: My kids went in the costumes of who they chose out of admiration but we're called out at school Halloween party for insensitivity!:eek::angry::angry:

When I was a kid we always rode in the rodeo parades in our neighboring towns. My great fantasy was to dress up like an Indian princess for a parade. I had a paint horse so it should have been doable. I don't know why it never happened. I think maybe I never told anybody I wanted it. Costumes were not readily available then like they are now so I thought it was an impossible dream. It's such a shame that kids are deprived of so many fun things now because of political correctness. I think many people wouldn't even think to be offended by a lot of these things if the politicians didn't tell them they should be.

OC: I think you are right about politicians drumming up issues to activate their base level on politically correct stances.

Back