11-16-2017 - Donuts & Cool Breezes

Noel

Reaction score
Happy Thursday!

This morning when I awoke at 3:30am, I decided to venture onto the back patio for some cool air. It was a delightful 62F with a cool breeze. Finally! Now it feels like Autumn to me which is a good thing since Thanksgiving is next week. Now if only that were our high temperature before Christmas!

We have a busy evening planned after work/school. Friday we are going to take the kiddos to see The Star which retells the birth of Jesus Christ from the point of view of the animals. It should be a great way to begin our weekend!

Wishing each of you a restful, healthy and productive Thursday that leaves you feeling accomplished at the end of the day.

Good morning, still pitch dark here, radio says 31, had to venture out yesterday, nasty wind made it seem colder than it was. We are due for more of same today, tho they keep saying we are to get rain! Yesterday, it was so dark all day. Weather people keep talking of wanting to see some sun, which, if we are lucky, may show up Sunday.

Have an appt. this a.m., and hubby has one this afternoon to have some work done on his truck again. Foolish, as far as I am concerned, but ...only leads to harsh words, so lip is zipped. (Good money after bad)

Poirot: well I would gladly take the dark clouds, cold weather and exchange for our sunny warmth if it were possible. Hope the roads are safe for you & your hubby today. Good day for errands because tomorrow starts the weekend before Thanksgiving. Maybe we wives should start a 'keep lip zipped' club someday? [wink]

AGuy: it does all start with a wish! Thanks for thinking of me. It does remind even me of myself. [wink] Wishing you a great Thursday.

Morning all~

It's not so bad here this morning. I looked out on my deck and the leftover plants are now ready for the trash, so that's a project for today.

I want to get the garland up either before (if possible while it is warm) Thanksgiving, so I have to clean out there first. I was hoping to have it done by now but... I think I need to join the zipped lip club. Last night was oh so fun for a last minute Wednesday night plan. The singer was very good, and dinner was very good. So a win win for us.

I got a bit teary eyed yesterday. In the mail were the proofs for our son's college graduation photos. Not sure I'm ready for that yet.

Enjoy the day all. Stay safe traveling.

Morning Everyone,

Noel - glad you were able to enjoy cooler temps this morning, even if they don't last very long.

Poirot - good luck with the errands

TB - we wait until after Thanksgiving to put up the Christmas decorations outside, and freeze in the process. You are smart for doing it earlier.

So Gena is home from school again today, after throwing up shortly after breakfast. I'm starting to think the strep was not the cause of all her tummy angst. I'm actually thinking it may be celiac disease. After researching the symptoms of celiac and lactose intolerance (the other option the doctor said could be the culprit) celiac seems to fit the symptoms more. I contacted the doctor's office this morning to see what we need to do to get her tested. Poor kid just can't seem to get a break.

Hope you all have an okay day.

Good morning. We didn't get much below 60* last night, still have overcast skies and will stay in the 60s* today. Noel, it is so good to hear that you got a little bit of cool breeze anyway. We will be back into the 80s* tomorrow. This time of year is always a roller coaster for us.

Manda, I sure hope you can get a handle on what is causing Gena's tummy problems. If it should be celiac, at least there is so much more information available today for dealing with it than in times past. If it isn't that, she could have food allergies. Unless people have had to deal with those things, they usually don't realize that allergies can cause stomach upsets. It takes extra work and planning to live with any kind of food intolerances but living in an age with so many food options available on the internet or locally, if one lives in a populated area, is a plus. It will be a relief for her and for you too, when you do get to the bottom of it. God bless!

TB, it seems no time since your son was leaving to begin college. It's hard to leave each stage behind but the new ones have good times too. I'm sure he will do you proud, whatever path he'll be taking. Your house always sounds so beautiful. You've worked hard to make it that way.

Poirot, here's hoping your day of appointments is as uneventful as possible. I need to be a member of that zip lip club too. I'd do myself a favor if I could be more successful at it.

Hello, A. Guy. You have a good day!

Morning all.

It was a fairly successful night with the bonsai club's mid year auction. My knee isn't happy today with the standing on concrete for 5 hours. But, oh well.

Manda - celiac is difficult to live with, but not impossible. Same with lactose intolerance. I have the lactose issue. Not severe. I can handle small amounts of dairy. Strange thing, my son, while being unemployed and living in Brooklyn, would on the weekends go to a farmers market. He befriended some folks and worked for them for product. He would take homemade cheese and trade for other vegetables and such.

But when I was there, he poured me a glass of milk and said drink this. I just looked at him and the glass. Hours of abdominal pain, cramping and horrors, and he said no, trust me. Drink it. So I did. It was unpasteurized milk, which in NYC is legal to sell. It was wonderful to drink, and I didn't get sick. But I can't find it and I'm not about to purchase and care for a milk cow.

Noel - the nights are sure lovely now, aren't they? And it should be under 80 for Saturday. Which is a boo, since my grandson is coming and he is going to go swimming with great grandma that day. But 79 should be warm enough for them.

Good luck with all the appointments today, Poirot and Manda.

Happy Thursday.

Noel - so happy for you to feel the cooler temps this early morning! I miss being able to go out at 4:30 am and stand in the dark and enjoy the silence. So we can swap for a couple days!

Poirot - good luck with your errands today. Now that you're in town, hopefully you don't have to worry so much about the roads.

Aguy - it does all start with a wish! I bet Noel is wishing away right now!!!

TB - glad you had a good birthday yesterday.

Manda - poor Gena! I have lactose problems and IBS. I hope she gets help soon. It can take awhile to get the help she needs because of all the tests.

OC - so glad your migraine is better. My daughter is too and after reading how you have gone from once a month to every few days really scares me for her. Hers are always at least once a month. I sure hope they don't increase to more. I didn't know food has something to do with it. Sun really bothers her and can get hers started real quick.

I cleaned cupboards last night, exercised, and headed to bed at 9:00. I was exhausted from the night before. I was out dead in 3 minutes. My daughter had brought the girls by yesterday at work so I got to see them briefly. Ember was so excited because 2 weeks ago her Girl Scout troop sent care packages to some troops and they sent pictures of all the guys sitting and eating beef jerky. They had sent with thank you signs. She told me she didn't think they would get them that fast.

Have a great day.

Shan, how fun for Ember and the girls. I'm going to try to get our girls to make polar fleece winter hats for the homeless. I found a cute no sew pattern that I think they can make.

Robin - how odd that the unpasteurized milk didn't upset your stomach.

OC - glad you are feeling better.

Gena has lab work scheduled for Saturday morning. They could have gotten her in today, but I wouldn't be able to take her and I know that she'll want me to be with her instead of hubby. Honestly, I just want to know what's wrong so that we can work to make her better. Seeing her sick all the time and in so much pain on the bad days breaks my heart.

She was feeling pretty good over the weekend, but when I think back to what we ate then vs the last few days, there was very little bread/pasta on the weekend, and much more of it since Monday. I'd be willing to switch my eating habits to match hers if it makes her life easier and makes her feel more normal. I just want to find a corner and cry.

TB: welcome to the newly-formed zip lipped club. Nice you will have completed a gardening project today. Your comment about your son's graduation photo made me wonder about my response in years to come.

Manda: oh, poor Gena! I am allergic to dairy and it will cause stomach issues; hoping it is that and not celiac disease. Either way, glad you are quick to contact the doctor for more tests. Just one more stressor on your plate, Manda, and for that I admire your strength. Hope Gena feels better by tonight and you all enjoy a quiet restful evening.

OC: a friend of mine says "Texas weather is always a roller coaster". [wink] Hope you are feeling strong today and your list of to-do items is a short one. You are right about good allergies plus dietary/treatment options today. Make it a bright day!

Robin: applause for a successful bonsai night on Wednesday. Hope your knees recuperate quickly! Well, 79F here is much warmer than most people expect because there is so little shade available. Your visit with your great grandson will be wonderful I am certain. Here's to cooler weather in Phoenix!

Shan: how wonderful our great troops sent Ember a thank you & photo! I am certain they appreciated being remembered and sent an American snack. You just reminded me, too, there are some stuffed cupboards I need to make a project, maybe 2018? Have a great night!

Manda: I grew up on a farm and we drank pasteurized milk all the time until the state mandated homogenization. If you feed/care for the cattle properly they produce great milk. But I just can't see either you or Robin caring for a cow in town. :clap:

Mr. Gus loves cows. It is the only animal he reacts to on television. When on our trips, if the rest stop is by/near range cattle, he stands at the fence and quivers whimpers till the cows notice him. At our cabin, his highlight is the daily walk among the range cattle. The cowboys with the cattle at first were worried about Mr. Gus chasing. Then they watched as he would walk up and rub on them and try to get them to play. So he would be on board with a milk cow. Not that city rules would allow.

A sunny day here. If I hadn't gone to school library, I would have washed
rags and hung them out. Too late to do when I got home.

manda, sorry to hear Gena is sick again. I hope the tests on Sat
will reveal what's wrong.

Noel, I'm glad you had a cooler morning. Enjoy the movie tomorrow.
My two women friends and I are planning to go Tues.

tb, I'm glad you had a nice evening.

OC, I'm glad you were able to post earlier today. I hope the rest of your
day is a good one.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day too.

KT - I wouldn't worry so much except that Gena's (and my) doctor seems to think the same. The battery of tests she has on Saturday are all for checking gluten intolerance, plus a few other things. The intern she saw last week also seemed to think lactose intolerance or celiac disease were real possibilities for her. I don't normally research on the internet, I know it's very unreliable. However today I was checking the Mayo Clinic website, and the symptoms just seem to line up way too closely.

KT: hope your day is going fine and soon you have a new Remmy story to share with us.

Manda: I once told my Mom that I wouldn't worry about my children the way she always did. She is probably still laughing in heaven.

My stepmother has been lactose intolerant since a young girl, & yes, lots of problems (other ones as well) & I know a few folks at church with celiac disease. There are special communion wafers for those who are unable to tolerate the regular ones. Our supermarket has two aisles plus an entire wall of frozen, gluten free foods. So it is no longer as uncommon as it seemed to be years ago, before accurate diagnosis.

I have a friend who drinks ONLY unpasteurized milk. In addition, she raises goats, so drinks a lot of goat milk.

I will further explain that she has a huge aversion to products that contain tons of items. i.e. she does not like windex, prefers the vinegar & water method, and in fact, prefers it for a lot of things. Doesn't use bug sprays of any kind, makes her own soap,... won't own a TV, but on the other hand, uses a cell phone all the time, and a computer as well. Go figure.

By the way.......Mandy, you might be interested to know that our fairly new brick built library is closed for 3 days, because 2, yes, count them, TWO bedbugs were found on an adult chair. So, a company was called in to take care of it all, and will return for checks to be sure there are no further problems.

Back