11-23-17 - Donuts and Thanksgiving

Noel, "Without photos, it didn't happen!" :) :)

I knew someone who put up the tree on the day after Thanksgiving, and took it down on December 26.

Real trees put a crimp in display times.

My daughter, who lives in Texas,once bought this live tree before T-Day, had it in a bucket of water in her garage, and then on Sat. after T-day put it up, decorations, just beautiful. By Christmas the needles were all falling off, the tree looking pretty sick, and it went down Dec. 26.

Poirot, among all your moving and unpacking I am just glad your wreaths are on display. There is always next Christmas, I tell myself that every year. It is the joyful meaning of Christmas and family at the center of our hearts that lasts forever.

Noel, "Without photos, it didn't happen!" :) .

Photos to follow once trees/rooms are decorated.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
My parents stopped buying the "dead" trees because the needles fell off and
trees were unsafe. So, they bought an artificial tree. We always kept the tree up until
12 days after. This is why you
celebrate Christmas for Jesus' birthday. Too many
people don't anymore.

Kat, my home is never as decorated as it is for Christmas to celebrate Christ's birth. And you cannot buy a live tree here without the high risk of fire. I definitely miss a live tree and the beautiful scent it gives.

I saw folks in Costco purchasing wreaths made from pine boughs. I figure they are first year folks, as those won't last till December because of the fire danger they will pose. Mine lasted in Sacramento as it was cool and damp. I too miss the smell of a real tree.

Silliest? Noel, help me out on that.

Some years ago we had a nice artificial tree, probably the most we'd ever spent for one. After Christmas was over, I put it in our storage building. The next year we got it out and took it in the house to decorate. It had a horrible smell--so bad that we had to throw out the tree. The summer heat had nearly melted it, I guess. In addition to the smell, the tree felt sticky. Things with plastic or glue don't survive the heat in our storage building.

OC: the spell checker gremlins at work. I fixed it.

Our first Christmas here we had stored out 7.5 artificial tree in our storage shed. The plastic had partially melted so we threw it out and went to Wal-Mart for a replacement. Afterwards we store trees, wreaths and garlands inside. The floors of my closet are stuffed full for 12+ a year.

Until you live in the southwest you just have no idea how damaging 120++ temperatures are to possessions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pretty sure your auto-correct did that, Noel, but I couldn't figure out what the word was supposed to be and I was curious. Thanks! Yes, so true about the heat and storage. No telling what the temperature reaches inside a storage building. I only have ONE closet, a fairly small one by today's standards, in my house. No room for storing things that would perish in a storage building. Makes it very hard to declutter.

OC, one closet! Oh, my that would be very difficult. I have a tiny closet in each bedroom but no hall closet, no pantry, or areas for storage. This house is almost 60 years old and they didn't need that much storage in those days. Well, we make do with what we have, don't we!

Back