11/25/17 - Donuts & Leftovers

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning, cloudy, overcast, we did not get the "snow" that was supposed to arrive after the rain, and they ARE saying sunshine today, maybe that comes later. In fact, right now, the weather forecast says several days of high 30s, low 40s. Weird. Piles of snow here and there from plowing, lakes are frozen, it does get down in the teens and single digits at night.

Well, finishing up remnants of Thanksgiving dinner, tho I think I am going to freeze some of the turkey. We has a 2nd smaller TDay dinner of leftovers last night. Today I have a mound of paperwork, mail, etc. to go thru, so hope everyone enjoys their Sat., just takes advantage and have a fun or "do nothing" day. :)

Happy Saturday!

I started decorating, again, at 6am after awaking at 4am. I have to tip-toe around with a flashlight while family sleeps. Wonder what it will look like when I am open the drapes in an hour? Well, it might make Santa giggle to see what the great room looks like this morning!

We should all be hungry this morning, so I prepared healthy oatmeal-apple bars. By noon or evening, we will eat our first left over meal. We are combining some left overs my sister sent from her home Thanksgiving noon meal with my evening meal left overs. No desserts: no pie, no cake, no candy. I put my foot down because it is much too tempting!

Poirot: best wishes on conquering your stack of paperwork and mail. It is the necessary, perhaps, but also the most boring part of a day. Once completed, you can begin to enjoy your weekend I hope!

AGuy: yesterday you challenged me: "if there aren't photos it didn't happen". Here is my living/dining room 9.5 ft tree undecorated. We will decorate it later today when the family is awake and in the mood. My great room smaller 6.5 tree is up and undecorated too. Now I return to decorating the great room and hopefully the living room by the end of the day. And oh, silly me, I forgot to buy batteries for all the wreaths/garlands/etc!

livingtree.7940264.jpg

Make it a great day everyone!

Good morning, all ~

Today is Friendsgiving day, so once again I got an early start on making the pumpkin pies. This time I did it Mom's way. No burned fingers and no spilled pie filling. By golly, I guess she knew what she was doing!!

Wishing you all a wonderful Saturday. Enjoy those leftovers.

Well our Thanksgiving day meal was at my brother's house. Warren doesn't care for turkey, so we had corned beef and cabbage, with carrots and potatoes, and green bean casserole. We will have turkey dinner with all the trimmings tomorrow at our granddaughter's house.

Crystal is so happy to fix the meal at her house. She just bought her first house in July, so this is a big deal for her! She is only 22 and a very hard working young lady.

I hope every one has a blessed weekend. Take time to relax, and regroup before the Christmas rush.:)

Lil0: Enjoy your Friendsgiving! Bravo on the old tried-but-true method of filling pumpkin pie shells.

Lookoflove: your granddaughter is creating her first family holiday memory in her new home. How wonderful! Your dinner at your brothers home sounded yummy.

Back to my decorating.

Morning all.

Decorations did not get up yesterday but I did get all of Friday's purchases wrapped and most of what I had in the gift cabinet wrapped. So that is cool. I have two more Christmas things to wrap and one birthday gift. Poor grandson whose due date was Dec 8th, but came Dec 27th. So he gets to wait all year for gifts.

Once I get the Santas up, I'll add a picture.

Good day all.

Robin: loved the photo last year of your mantle decorated with Santas. Look forward to this year's display photo too. Kudos on the gift wrapping. I haven't started that or Christmas cards yet.

I think I told this story before, but it bears repeating. Those whose birthdays fall around the Christmas Holidays often get cheated somewhat (cannot tell you how many combo Christmas/birthday gifts I got growing up. LOL)

Well, a friend from bowling - her birthday was Dec. 23rd - was part of our lunch group that had lunch before bowling every week. Actually there was NO bowling the week between Christmas & New Years, so the group always did our birthdays together (just a cake after lunch). Fern used to tell stories about her huge family having a party the 1st Sat. in December for all the December birthdays, so even with her huge family, in laws, grandchildren, etc. she always shared.

Well, the year she turned 75, I told the group that she should have her birthday all by herself, it was a special one, right. We were going to eat at this restaurant that was famous (not only here, but elsewhere) for it's home made pies, so we ordered a large banana cream pie, explained about the birthday, etc. Well, we get there, and when it came time to bring out the pie, dishes, forks & candles, the waitress, really embarrassed, tells us that half the pie is gone, they has no other full pies left. Egads. They did have half a coconut creme, so....we said fine, but them together. We will have that, it makes a whole birthday pie.

And being kind, the waitress cuts the pies up, putting each piece on a plate, and that is how they come to the table. Faces fell, but what the heck, it is a party. I had a whole box of candles, we circled the plates, put a candle in each piece, lit them, sang the HB song. Fern blew them out after her wish. Lots of laughter.

At her funeral, a couple years later, her children (6 of them) just kept telling how much their mother loved that birthday, how she talked of it all the time, she would bring it up out of the blue. They admitted it was the ONLY birthday she ever got to have all to herself.

And I apologize if I told that before, hate to bore you again, but it always is a reminder that we never know what small kindness might mean to someone else, or how a wonderful lemonade came from a couple sour lemons. :)

My home is decorated! And my back is spasming to prove it. Tomorrow the tall tree. Monday the smaller tree after work. The bedroom 3 foot trees have to wait til after work Wed-Fri. I am out of batteries, so a Wal-Mart stop is essential for tomorrow. Now, if I can just stop remembering items I forgot to put out and just enjoy it all.

Another pretty day here. I washed more rags (washed some Fri) and hung them outside.
I spent time in the flowerbed. All the bushes have mulch behind them now. I dug
up some surprised lilies and gave to my neighbor. She'll give to her mom later.
The lilies were too close to the bushes and you can't see them when they bloomed

Noel, you're going to have such a jolly house when you get all the decorations up. How
many parties do you have during the season? I bet you have a lot of people over.

Lil0, I'm glad your pie baking went better today.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their holiday weekend.

Kat: how lovely you gave the lilies to your neighbor for her mother. I called that type of getting generosity "double gifting" because it blesses two people.

Parties? Well Hubs has a Christmas dinner for co-workers, family get togethers and a church cookie exchange are already on the December schedule. Add to that neighbors and a bible study group yet to be scheduled. It is such a huge blessing in my life.

Robin: just love the Jim Shore figurines! All your Santas look beautiful on the mantle and the precious artwork is true Christmas!

Back