11-26-17 - Donuts and Time for Relaxing

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
Good morning. A quiet day here, beautiful weather, but I'm relaxing inside, doing some leisurely catch-up of laundry. Yesterday the weather was not bad but it was windy and felt a little chilly in the shade, while wearing short sleeves. The kids played outside a lot. The little ones required supervision, since the temperature was mild enough for snakes. We did see one but it wasn't an immediate threat to anyone. My 17-year old grandson decided he wanted to go inside our storm cellar.

I did have a new door and window (with metal instead of glass) put on it a couple of years ago, but no one has been inside it since then. I don't believe any of the grandkids have ever been in it. So they all gathered around as he opened the door, then quickly gasped and stepped back. The snake was not visible but they all heard the rattling. I got a flashlight and was able to spot a big rattler coiled up in a far corner. I wanted them to see and hear it because the younger ones have never seen a snake out here and they don't seem to pay much attention when I tell them they must be watching for them.

Now I need to deal with that snake at some point. Not excited about going down into the cellar for it. Also, there could be others in there that were out of sight from above. I stuffed steel wool in the places they could possibly get in or out, in hopes it might just die in there. The door is covered with sheet metal. The modern types of sheet metal have ridges big enough for even a large snake to get through. I'm not a fan of that type but my builder had some left over from other projects so that's what he used. Next time he comes I'll see if he can cover the bottom edge of the door with something.

Good Sunday morning,

We just finished Sunday school classes, and church service is in the next 13 minutes. Afterwards, we are going home for rest and relaxation. Even this morning, I was still 'adjusting' items. After lunch we will decorate the large tree [pictured yesterday] and then just relax.

This morning it was 81 in the house at 5am! We are supposed to be at 79F by Wednesday, and I certainly hope that holds true this time. I want to dress in at least autumn type clothing, feel cool breezes, and know the weather has changed since last March.

OC: my you have more rattlers to deal with in your area. Thank goodness it has only happened a couple times here. I would hire a professional before braving the cellar. You are such a courageous woman. Great job teaching the children to recognize the rattler sound and know how to handle it. Nice your weather is better today and you are taking a day to relax inside.

Wishing everyone a lovely restful Sunday.

Morning all.

Hunny Bunny is off to California to pick up an friend who was in an auto accident on the way to Thanksgiving weekend with family. The car was totaled and needed to get home. I had stuff to do so I couldn't go along for the ride. Mr. Gus and I will complete decorating, get the biscotti dough made for baking next weekend, and I have an appointment at the Genius Bar for my dad's Mac book that has stopped working. I hope they can fix it.

OC - if I hear of someone who is able to toilet train geese, or at least train them to go in one place, I'll send that information to you. They'd keep the snakes under control. But goose poop is a problem of it's own.

Peaceful Sunday to all.

Robin: what a good friend your Hubby Bunny is to rescue this family after an accident. So glad you have Mr Gus to help you with Christmas decorating.:) As for the geese, they would melt during summer in our town.

Good morning ~

OC ~ Yipes! I don't envy your snake dealings! During the years that I lived in California, I did hear rattlers a few times. I'm so glad I don't need to worry about venomous snakes in this part of the world. We just have garden snakes. The good guys. Be safe!!!!

Friendsgiving was another great meal and fun gathering. We had 12 people at the Thanksgiving Day table and 20 people at the Friendsgiving Day table. Whew.

Wishing all of you a peaceful and relaxing last day of the long weekend.

Lil0: your Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving celebrations sounded wonderful. Good food and great people make for a delightful gathering. Sending peaceful and relaxing wishes to you too.

Another pretty day here. No Sunday school class today so I was home earlier
than usual. Goldie and I had a nice walk before dinner. I decided to stay in
today to work on my emails. My inbox is overflowing. It's a little better.

OC, I'm glad you had a nice visit with your son and his family. I'm glad
you could teach the little ones about snakes.

robin, how far is California from you? Is it a long drive?

I hope everyone has a relaxing afternoon and evening.

Poirot: glad your weather is sunny and nice. Enjoy your evening too. Arizona is having a clearance sale on cloudless, sunny and near 90F temperatures this Black Friday weekend. I take cold weather, cloudy grey skies and wind in payment.

robin, how far is California from you? Is it a long drive?

Per Google, and the GPS, we were 4 hours and 22 minutes from the McDonald's, but traffic was dreadful. Plans had them home by 6 but that isn't going to happen. Don't know if I should hold dinner or eat by myself.

OC - if I hear of someone who is able to toilet train geese, or at least train them to go in one place, I'll send that information to you. They'd keep the snakes under control. But goose poop is a problem of it's own.

I think I've heard Poirot talk about how messy geese are too, so I guess I'd pass on those. I've only seen them flying high overhead. I have heard that guineas will also control snakes. We had some long ago and I wouldn't mind having some again but I don't have a place to house them at night now. They wouldn't go in when we did have a place before though. They'd just scatter and roost in trees, then quickly become coyote or bobcat food.

Back