11/28/17 - Donuts & Busy Bees

OC - I love your stories. I don't know that I would be as calm cool and collected as you. I guess like with many animals that we do not have in our areas or have been exposed to, sometimes is worse than what we imagine. Except sharks!!

When I was in Australia, this was always in the back of my mind and freaked me out when I swam in the ocean. But being in a landlocked province, exposure to the ocean was rare and all I knew was Jaws, which made everyone afraid of the water except those who were always in the water. And vice versa, the Auzzies were the same way with bears as I was with sharks. I would always tell them, I'd much rather come across a grizzly or a black bear than a great white shark.

OC, I'm glad you didn't get bit by the snake. I hope you're doing better today after
the ant bite. I'm not sure what I would done if I saw a rattlesnake

JS, thanks for the info about the Tom Sullivan book. It's been years since I've seen
him on TV.

Poirot, you have reminded me that a re-watch of "Cape Fear" 1991 is overdue. Juliette Lewis' acting was superb! Watching that tête-à-tête with DeNiro was frightening. I'm still not sure if she was acting, or truly enthralled/seduced by him.

OC, please go appropriately armed when you are in snake territory! I'm thinking something like this:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...s&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=120238

Do folks in your neck of the woods keep anti-venom kits at hand?

I went out to put a battery charger on the car; guess what? I couldn't get the hood open; I think it's going to be a 2-person job. Tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I appreciate all the kind words. I don't think of myself as brave at all. It comes down to whether I am willing to leave the sneaky creatures to lurk around my house or try to keep them thinned out, as possible. As my niece always says, "Nobody else is going to do it for me."

Muzz, I would hate to have to choose between a shark and a grizzly bear! I guess I'd rather take my chances with anything on dry land though. Like you, I'm conditioned to being landlocked.

A. Guy, I'm afraid I might have blown a hole in the side of my car if I'd used a shotgun last night but there have been some situations where I've wished for one. I haven't heard of anyone who keeps anti-venom. My dad used to keep some kind of kit but I think it just had things like a knife and a suction thing for drawing out the venom. The hospitals have told me if you can get there within 30 minutes or so, it's best not to waste time doing anything else, expect maybe putting something lightly around an appendage to slow down the blood flow. They said to call ahead and let them know you are on the way and what kind of snake bit you, so they can have everything ready. (This might not be necessary in a large hospital. The ones here are very small). Good luck with the battery! I have a struggle getting my truck hood open.

Robin, "Bravery under rattle." :rotfl:

I'm so out of touch, I've never even heard of Tom Sullivan.

Sullivan was a singer/actor, was blind all his life. Just like Johnny Ray, who was partially deaf, but had a lot of hit records....Sullivan's inability to see did not hinder him one bit.

J.S. and Poirot, thank you. We didn't have a tv during the late 70s and throughout the 80s and part of the 90s. I haven't watched musical entertainment much since then either, so it's not surprising I don't know him. Hey, I do remember Johnny Ray though! :) Always like him a lot.

It seems like there have been a lot of blind singers throughout the years. Good ones. Not so many deaf or partially deaf ones, like Johnny Ray.

Thanks, Noel.

Back