12-03-2016 - Donuts and Brrr

Good morning everyone. Another cold rainy day here with more snow coming tonight.

Yesterday and last night were the worst that I've felt all week. Doc said I might have an "adverse" reaction to the one injection that he gave me at the same time as my flu shot, and boy was he right. I may attempt to go to Aldi later, but no way was I going to the church cookie walk this morning. I only go there to buy the little lady fingers since they're too much work to make at home. I really don't need them, but boy are they good. Plus they look elegant on cookie platters that I give to my local "family" for Christmas.

I hope you feel better, OC. The rain never helps when you have a cold, but I know you need all the rain you can get.

Good morning everyone,

OC, feel better. At least since it is rainy outside maybe you can have a cozy day in.

It looks dreary out right now, and today is only gonna be in the 40sF. I work from 1 to close today, so most of the day I'll be indoors anyways. Saturdays usually aren't so busy, so hopefully I won't have many difficult customers, but who knows. The store did get a new interim manager (she'll be gone in 2 months, and who knows who'll replace her). Our old one quit, and she says she wants to do a few things more efficiently. I hope she's successful. She manages another co-op, and seems to know what she's doing. She's friendly, so far.

Have a nice day, all.

Thanks, Squirrel and Degrassi. Squirrel, I'm ashamed to even mention my cold, when I think of what you go through with pneumonia and other things. I honestly don't know how you keep going like you do. You accomplish more while sick than I could ever dream of doing when well. I'm so sorry you had the bad reaction to the injection!

Degrassi, I hope the new manager is more agreeable to you than not. Sounds like you have quite a turnover there. Yes, just as well to be inside on these dreary days. Maybe the weather will keep the obnoxious customers away.

I hadn't been opening up all my curtains lately because I have such a problem with sun glare, so this morning I decided to open everything up because it was so dark inside the house, even with lights on. I can't decide whether that was a good idea or not, mood wise, with everything so overcast, but I'll go with it for a while.

It seemed like a good day to catch up on some laundry, mostly bedding from when the kids were here last week, so that's what I'm doing today. As I was putting a load into the dryer, it occurred to me how thankful I am to have a dryer and to not need to be dependent on a clothesline in weather like this. (Or any other time. I've put in my time hanging out clothes. Wouldn't want to do that again).

Good morning all. Woke up to see our gravel road all white, a very fine snow was falling. Grass got a dusting. And a sheet of thin ice has appeared again on the lake in front. Covers about half the bay, but there is no wind to break it up, as before. They are saying more snow, but it doesn't seem like it is snowing at all, except I see roof turning a bit white. LOL

Morning all.

Day started out at the vet's office. Mr. Gus is still there. Not sure what the problem is other than the chunk of change it will require to get him out, that will hurt.

All other plans for the day have been shelved until I hear from the doctor.

OC - take care of yourself.

Squirrel - take it as slow as you can.

I'll check back in later with an update on Mr. Gus.

A dreary day here as well. Not much to shelve at library today. I took
time and rearranged books and DVDs. Because of the rain, Goldie
and I only went around once. I washed my bathroom after lunch.

robin, sorry to hear about Mr Gus. I hope he'll be ok.

rs, prayers for you to feel better soon. If I lived closer, I would go
to church for you and get the cookies you want.

DaysD, I hope your afternoon at work wasn't too bad.

OC, cloudy days get me down too.

I hope everyone has a good afternoon and evening.

Last edited:
Robin.......have you heard anything from the vet yet?

Kat, glad you got to at least get out with Goldie once.....Hope Mandy & Gena are better, too, along with OC......Yuk everyone coming down with something this time of year. Days, glad you don't have much homework this weekend, last one was a doozy. Squirrely, you should just stay home, and veg out......No going out.

Glad I have spaghetti sauce/gravy in the freezer, as that is dinner. Off to make the pasta. :)

Good evening everyone,

A very hectic and busy Saturday for me. Still have one bin to unpack, sort and use or discard. Excited to begin the tree tomorrow. This is the 3rd day I thought I would get to it. It is 70F here today -- very mild and enjoyable with full sun here in the West valley.

OC: sure hope your cough and foot heal soon. Wishing you a lovely evening and drier weather. As for drying clothes on a line outdoors -- that is my favorite aroma in the world. But, yes thankful for dryers when not feeling well or as extremely busy as you are each day. :)

Squirrel: your adverse reaction is certainly limiting your outdoor activities. How thoughtful you are to buy the ladyfingers for a charity and then share them with 'family' locally. They also taste good I imagine. Please feel better soon and rest all you can.:)

Days: glad you will be indoors during the low temperatures. Hopefully your new manager will be cheerful, helpful and efficient. Tomorrow I hope you have a day of rest and relaxation.:)

Poirot: the first snowfall in December is always magical to me! :) It's like the elves went out to play before Christmas. Your area always sounds so beautiful with the lake icing on top, and the grass/trees iced with fine snow,

Robin: sad to hear Mr. Gus is still not feeling well and requires a vet appointment. Hope you get very good news from the doctor. Our furry friends are definitely a priority in our lives, second only to our family. Please keep us posted on Mr. Gus' condition. Hugs:)

Kat: you are such a busy woman. I admire your volunteer service at the library. Keep Goldie and yourself snuggly warm at home tonight. Hope you decorate or find good tv/dvd to watch as you relax. :)

Thinking of: all my Spectator friends tonight. :love:

Oh, what to do. Hallmark has a new Christmas movie, but.......It's a Wonderful Life is on NBC tonight. I think Jimmy Stewart is going to win out, as I know Hallmark will show the movie again several times.

They are saying snow tonight and tomorrow......does this mean I have to wear boots to church? LOLOL

Yes I saw that Poirot. I watch It's a Wonderful Life every year; but have it on dvd. The Hallmark Journey Back to Christmas movie I only saw the first half of this week. The rain wiped out wifi. So I will be watching it tonight and tomorrow night maybe Jimmy Stewart again. :wink: Enjoy whichever you watch.

Gus spine.jpg

Okay so Mr. Gus has at the little white arrow a lack of separation between those disks. And it has calcification, so it is an old injury. I don't know when or what happened. He also has his micro chip in the picture. He received a cortisone shot, a pain shot and pain medication and is to remain quiet for the next two weeks. The doctor thinks he did something on Thursday that hurt his back. I brought him home, made his little bed then headed to Surprise to spend the day with my stepmother.

I have resigned myself to the fact she trusts me and not her own family. So we went to the bank, got things notarized then did some light shopping and errands. She loved her Christmas gift from me, a small tree. She doesn't have much space, but this 6 inch tree is so pretty and it has a color changing feature that really pleased her.

And oh, can I take a moment to say that my brother and his husband had lunch at the White House yesterday? A Christmas Party luncheon at the White House. I'm very jealous.

I don't watch Christmas movies much but I do like Jimmy Stewart. I caught the last part of my favorite Christmas movie a couple of days ago--The Shop Around the Corner.

Robin, thanks for the update on Mr. Gus. His condition sounds painful. I hope you will be able to keep him calm. That isn't always easy with a dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robin: yes, like OC, I appreciate the update on Mr. Gus. So happy he is medicated, pain free, and sleeping peacefully at home. What an injury the original must have been to have calcification now. He is your best bud so I know you will watch over him like an angel.

Your stepmother clearly has trust, respect and fondness for you Robin. The tree you gave her sounds very pretty and brightens her life. You are a loving stepdaughter and your actions show thoughtful compassion. Hugs

Robin...thank you for filling us in on Mr. Gus's problem. One of my son's dogs is not doing all that well either, so I really appreciate your info. Lunch at the White House? how fabulous is that?

Robin....am glad you are there for your stepmother. And you were smart enough to get things done at the bank, etc. My mother-in-law trusted only me for over 25 years, and *I was signer on her checking account. 3 mos. before she died, her oldest son said I was not family (blood) and got her to change over to him. And so, when she died, he paid for nothing despite the thousands in her checking account, yep......my husband did. So, girl, please make sure this cannot happen to you.

I've had a looong day. I went back to my mother's house to work on her new laptop. I had to make a recovery drive, install antivirus software, updates, etc. When I got home, wanting to relax, I discovered some keys on my laptop weren't working (g, h and backspace as far as I can tell). I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so at least I can type. I tried everything I could think of to fix the problem. No luck, grrrrr. I'd hate to have to copy and paste a g or h every time I need one, lol. I'm about brain dead now.

Robin, poor little Mr. Gus. I hope he is healed soon. I don't envy your brother (the introvert I am, lol), but it sounds like he and his husband are the types who love stuff like that. I'm sure it was fancy and lovely! Exciting!

Time to try and relax. Take care everyone.

robin, thanks for the info on Mr Gus. I hope he has a speedy recovery. I'm glad you were
able to help your stepmom. I like the name of her town. Surprise :) I hope your brother
will share pictures of the White House Christmas party with you.

Back