12/7/17 - Donuts & Remember Pearl Harbor

I'm so late getting here today. I'm sure with the time difference you're all home and having dinner!

OC/Manda - You have both been in my thoughts & prayers today.

Poirot when I saw you mentioned Pearl Harbor, I remember how my mom & dad would always tell us kids that they were sledding on Capitol Hill (St Maries, ID) and some kid came up & told them about it. They hurried home in fear they would be bomb too. They were only 10 & 11.

It also very sad about our children's education. I remember my daughter in grade school, 5th grade, and I asked her teacher at our first conference when they would be learning the capitals as I had remembered doing that in the 5th grade. The teacher looked at me like I had a disease. She told me that is something they would not be learning as you don't use that. So I went and got the flash cards and taught her myself. I also made a blank US map and had her learn where every state was. She has told me she has used all of what I taught her.

RS - so glad your brother is safe. The pictures on the news are awful. Thank you for the Santa tracker. My granddaughter will enjoy this!

Robin - enjoy Orlando. I love Daytona Beach.

YPG - good luck with the doctor appointment. And I hope your sister is ok.

Muzzaman - You might not have enjoyed the teaching at the time, but you're lucky to have had your dad. Enjoy all the celebrating this weekend.

Noel - your nativity set is adorable. I always get a smile when I see a nativity set. This year when I put mine out, Ember was helping and she asked so many questions and said she is going to smile every time she sees one also.

Have a great evening!

YPG: best wishes for healing post surgery. Especially hope you recover well enough to enjoy the holidays.

Shan: bravo for taking your daughter's education of states/capitals into your own hands. We try to do. Glad you enjoyed setting up your nativity with Ember. Enjoy your evening.

OC: thinking of you and hoping for the best for your husband.

Afternoon all. It was below 30 when Goldie had out walk at 7. I'm hoping
Walmart has gloves in the sporting dept I can buy on Sat.

Busy day for me. I made more pumpkin bread this morning. I got to school library
at noon. In 90 minutes I got 25 books entered. This evening, is circle party with
cookie exchange. I was hoping testing in library done today, but nope. I can't get
to school until 10:30 Friday.

manda, I'm sorry Gena is still not feeling well. I'll keep praying for her. I'm
glad they
were going to get her in to doctor earlier. That happened to me when I was sick.
My Oct appt got changed to Sept because I went to ER three times.

Poirot, I've seen the ad for Ellen's new show. The woman who doesn't get
the answer is a 3rd grade teacher.

rs, thanks for the link. Hopefully, I'm smart enough to figure out the games.

robin, have a good time in Florida.

YPG, I hope your surgery goes well.

Muzzaman, enjoy your weekend.

I hope everyone has a good afternoon and evening.

Hi everyone!

As someone who works with teenagers I agree about the state of our education system. I’ve had to teach some of them how to count money.

Manda, I hope you get answers about Gena soon.

Muzza, I’m sure there are plenty of U.S. citizens who don’t know our nation’s capital either.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

Good news, Gena's appointment has been moved up to Monday December 11th, as in 4 days from now. I guess bugging the doctor every day is the way to get things done. Although I know that he takes me seriously. He's been my doctor since I was 9, and knows that I don't bring Gena in for every runny nose and cough.

Kat- keep up the good work at the library. Pumpkin bread sounds yummy.

Shan - good work on making sure your daughter learned what she needs to know.

THAT is fabulous news, Mandy! Am so happy for you all.

And Muzz......yes, I know the capital of Canada is Ottawa. (Isn't Toronto the capital of Ontario???)

(and tell me.....do the Mounties still wear those cool red uniforms and ride horses? Gosh, they look so handsome in those uniforms. There was a series on PBS here, and the one character was a Mountie. Yes, set in Canada.......I think it is called When Calls The Heart......is on hiatus currently, hope it is still returning.

Last edited:
Kat: banana bread is a lovely gift. Kudos on what you accomplished at the library today. Hope you find warm gloves soon for your morning walk.

Red: did you know that is why Wal-Mart invested in registers that tell the cashier how much change to give? Money drawers don't balance when they guess. Glad you are teaching teens this valuable tool for life.

Manda: Awesome!! Sweet Gena deserves a treatment plan to return her to health. Great PCPs are so valuable when they know both you and your child. I think I can hear your sigh of relief all the way here.

Noel, every retail job I’ve ever had has registers that tell you the amount of change to give back. And it doesn’t mean the drawers aren’t without errors. It’s rare that a drawer is perfect. It just makes it a lot faster. But when we do pick ups (take money out of the register so if we are robbed we don’t lose as much) the manager and the cashier have to count the money. At night when we count down drawers we have a scale because it makes faster but I have to manually count out the money to balance the drawers and make bands for the deposit.

RED: when I worked at a Wal-Mart superstore in nursing school, they told me Wal-Mart started and funded the project to calculate cash back to customers. Just passing on what I learned, and then we had to count out each coin/dollar in our drawer to balance. If short, it came out if our next paycheck. Maybe that was the store manager's policy, but it made me nervous to be short even a penny.

Heya Everybody! :) I hope that everyone is having a fantastic day. Today has been an okay but busy day. I went to work, came home and had dinner. I tried a new beef pot pie and it was absolutely delicious. I also had 2 pieces of rocky road, so yummy. I also have been really tired as of late and I am coming down with a cold. Christmas can't come soon enough, can't wait for the days off.

Hoping that all of you are having a terrific Thursday evening. And yes, we had some snow flurries in the air today too. Sending so much happiness to each one of you.

Robin: nice to be in Orlando, even though exhausted and 'starved'. Cassius hopefully will sleep soundly through the night. Hope your dinner is a good one!

McSweetie: hope you get some restful sleep and feel energized in the morning. Rocky road candy is definitely delicious! Enjoy the snow flurries and Christmas spirit too!

Good evening. Manda, great news that you got an earlier appointment for Gena. Sure hoping you can get some answers and relief for her soon. This is bound to be taking a toll on both of you.

I woke up at 5:00 this morning, a couple of hours earlier than I had hoped. So I got in gear and went to the Wal-Mart town (but did not go to Walmart) and got the oil changed in my car. I knew it needed some antifreeze in the reservoir so that was extra incentive to take care of both at once. We are supposed to get down to 21* tonight. Stayed in the 30s* today. I went from there to the smaller town, where husband is in the hospital. (These two towns and our home roughly form a triangle). No real change at the hospital. They did try to do some therapy. It didn't look very promising but I left to do some errands in town so didn't see much of it. He is consumed with every pain, discomfort, and limitation, no matter how large or small, and just doesn't seem able mentally or emotionally to apply himself or even try to participate in anything.

My cows are needing attention. Not sure when I'm going to fit that in. Maybe Saturday. Thanks again for the support I'm receiving here. I look forward to reading about all of you each day, even if I don't have much time to comment. Wondering if Kt has found a house.

OC: you accomplished so much today - kudos. Would your niece tend to your cows so you can either rest or spend more time with your husband. I am not surprised your husband is weary of the pain on top of a new routine away from home. Continued prayers for both of you. Keep looking up.:love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Manda, Gena's earlier appointment is great news! :)

Regarding change-making, don't some fast-food restaurants have cash registers that automatically drop the change? The "cashier" still has to count out the bills, though. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I was taught how to make change in early grade school. :)

OC, are you are catching up on your sleep during your husband's admittance? I hope that you will have some choices that include some home-care assistance.

Sweetie, pot pies are convenient, and good; even the smaller ones make a good snack. KFC's rule, though! :love:

(and tell me.....do the Mounties still wear those cool red uniforms and ride horses? Gosh, they look so handsome in those uniforms. There was a series on PBS here, and the one character was a Mountie. Yes, set in Canada.......I think it is called When Calls The Heart......is on hiatus currently, hope it is still returning

They do mainly for formal ceremonies, in National Parks and the RCMP Musical Ride, such as this. All members of the musical ride are active members. This musical ride was at Minnesota State Fair. When they went for the Queens Diamond Jubilee, The Tenors went and performed with them and is really nice.

I've not heard of that show, When Calls The Heart. Currently, I'm loving this Australian tv show called Glitch.

Back