12-8-17 - Donuts and Yeah, That's Cold!

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
A chilly good morning from north Texas. My digital outdoor thermometer says 16*. My online site for the town where our post office is located says 12*. Now I'm thinking I want to feed my cows before I leave for the hospital. It will get to 52* later, and thank goodness there is no precipitation! Have a good day, all.

Good luck at the hospital, OC. Been thinking bout ya.

Oh my god, I have been reading about the fires in California. So sad, scary and tragic. I just read about a great Perenese that would not leave the goats he protects. He led them to a clearing and kept them safe along with some deer that joined their group.

Last edited by a moderator:
A cold morning here. It was below 15 when Goldie and I took a walk.
My hands got really cold after two going around two times.

Muzzaman, what a great story.

OC, good luck feeding the cows. I need to feed the birds again and
break their water again today.

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

Morning Everyone,

It was a long rough night for Gena. She managed to stay at school for the whole day and even went to Girl Scouts last night for mini gingerbread house building. But by the time we got home, she was miserable. She went straight to bed, but was up almost every hour to use the bathroom. Needless to say, she didn't make it to school today. Although I pretty sure she was sleep walking on a few of the trips, as she and I had conversations that she remembers nothing about. Monday can't get here fast enough.

OC - oh, dear that is cold for Texas, stay warm. I've had you and your husband in my prayers.

Muzz - I agree, the California fires are terrible. I saw pictures of a horse farm (I can't think of the appropriate word at the moment) and the rancher was unable to evacuate the horses so, all 12 burned to death in the fires. It was horrible.

I forgot to add that Gena was so worried about her one teacher not getting her Christmas gift (she was a long term substitute who was filling in for the normal teacher's maternity leave) that she made me promise to drop it off as today is her last day with the class. So even while she's sick, she's still worried about others. Gosh, I love that girl.

Kat - You have my temperatures. Please stay warm.

Well, a rather busy, upsetting morning here. Was up at 6:30, made coffee, suddenly felt dizzy, weak. Was going to bedroom to lay down, ended up in bathroom, throwing up. Just the once, laid down. A bit later, had to "go" so was on the john for a while. Hubby got up, and evidently I had poured the water in the coffee maker, but had not put in the coffee filter w/coffee, so....there was water all over the counter, and he cleaned that all up, made coffee. I come out, I am feeling o.k., he is making some toast, starts to complain. Goes to sit down. He is feeling very dizzy, tries to get to bedroom, can barely walk, grabs on to a small table, nearly fell, but did get eventually onto the bed. So he lays down, I have some toast, coffee, he gets up, starts thinking that something had to be wrong...near the sink.....as both of us got dizzy (but really different)

He ends up calling 911, wants testing really, (mind you, we have all sorts of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in the place) . So we get an EMS ambulance, a police car, and eventually a fire truck here. They made us go out to the ambulance to get checked, but mostly it was hypochondriac hubby.....I was o.k. (but eventually let them do the BP, etc. ) With hubby, they did heart, BP, a few other things. Fire Dept. checked out, all was fine in the house, Nothing at all. Police said I have to notify my phone company that my number did not come up for them when hubby called.

So, all is well in the house, but hubby now is thinking perhaps something with the laminated floor?? He says years ago some company went out of business, something about formaldehyde in it's product. He has no idea if this is same company.........but he also is convinced that something is going on with the garbage disposal (which we never use) so is pouring bleach down it. Grrrrr. He always is making mountains out of molehills, but will say, it WAS unusual for us both to get weak and dizzy while trying to make coffee. However, he was there much longer than me, since he had to wipe up all the water that covered the counter. I have no idea why/how it sprayed like that.

At least it is Friday!

Early mornings, when it is as 'cold' as it gets here, is when I take out the trash to the alley. This morning the homeless people were back in the alley and it startled me so much I was shaking. One woman was crouched between the huge trash can and the block fence of a neighbor, smoking, drinking alcohol, and talking to herself. I did try to talk to them about open shelters just a couple of miles away, but they either didn't reply or listen. So sad.

They had opened every trash bag in the trash can and spread contents all over the alley. The ants will have a field day now that the sun is up, so I am hoping they have vacated the alley for the day. These large black & red ants leave welts from their bites. Needless to say, I will no longer be taking trash out in the mornings.

Other than that, I am determined to keep my Christmas spirit and joy! Once today ends, it will be a lovely weekend with family, church, and Christmas cookies. I plan on listening to Christmas music and watching Hallmark movies after the kiddos are in bed too. Christmas is coming at reindeer speed now: 17 days!

OC: sure wish you had some help with the cows, errands, etc., but applaud your courage, determination, and strength of will to just take it one step at a time and one day at a time. Hugs, love and prayers to both you and your hurting husband. Please remember to eat well, drink water, rest as much as possible so you stay strong & healthy during this stressful time. We continue to hope for the best! Hugs.

Muzza: yes the fires are horrific and still raging strong. The horse facility was a boarding and training business for local horse owners. The pictures brought me to tears because horses are naturally afraid of fire and many died in their stalls. They could not run away being either tied to a hook or locked in a stall. Very very sad. Hoping you enjoy your Dad's surprise birthday party tonight.

Kat: that is cold! You definitely need gloves going forward to walk with Goldie each morning. Wishing you a relaxing and warmer Friday. Enjoy your baking and time with your friends.

Manda: first, just LOVE your new avatar of Gena sitting on Santa's lap!! Adorable. So sad she is still in pain and sick throughout tonight. A day's rest hopefully will help her feel better. I am certain her substitute teacher will appreciate her care and generous Christmas spirit. Wishing you, Gena, and your husband a pain-free weekend and hope you can just enjoy some Christmas relaxation.

Lilo: Wishing you a Friday, and a weekend, filled with Christmas joy and spirit!

Poirot: Oh what a morning Poirot! As I was reading I too wondered about carbon monoxide emissions. So it is a relief to know the Fire Dept gave you a clear review. Still, I can understand your husband's anxiety when you both had the same symptoms in the morning. Hopefully the bleach process will calm his nerves now? Sure hope you both feel better and stronger throughout the day and have no more symptoms this weekend. Whatever you have planned for the day, be sure to take some time for yourself! You've had several months of high stress, high fatigue levels, and hopefully a little TLC will remedy any more dizzy/nausea spells.

Take care, stay safe, and find some Christmas Spirit today everyone!

Kat & Noel, that is Gena's picture from last year, since she wouldn't go by Santa for a picture this year. Maybe we'll be able to find Santa at the mall or a store so we can get a picture.

Noel - I'd be scared to death if I found people just randomly hanging out by the trash cans.

Manda: I am hopeful that after next week's appointment the doctor will give a treatment plan that helps Gena feel like going to see Santa before Christmas. Last year's picture is so sweet.

Got the cows fed. It was so refreshing to be out with them and away from the drama that surrounds most of my life--even though it was quite cold out. But yes, I will probably be letting my niece do a lot of the feeding. We use my equipment so the give and take sort of evens out. A drought sneaked up on me. I haven't been paying enough attention. This was the first time I'd fed this winter. Need to start doing it twice a week.

I called the nurse and had her tell the husband I was going to be late because I was feeding the cows. That didn't seem to help at all. He was frantic by the time I got there. He was giving the nurses a hard time and was upset with me. He asked how was he supposed to know something hadn't happened to me. I told him because I had called the nurse and asked her to tell him. He thought I was dead and the nurses were conspiring to keep it from him.

Tonight--just a little while ago--the nurse called me and then put him on the phone to talk to me. He said, "Where ARE you? I've been calling and calling for you!" This goes on and on. He won't do physical therapy and doesn't make the connect with that and coming home. Unless there is an unexpected change, I don't think bringing him home is going to happen, since he is considerably weaker than when he left here, and each day in bed takes him more in that direction. Sorry to go on about this everyday. It's pretty consuming.

Poirot, what strange happenings at your place this morning. I hope both of you are all right now.

OC: has your husband been bluntly told he can't go home unless he has the therapy? Confused anxious patients sometimes need simple blunt statements to help them understand the impact of their decisions.

Glad you were outdoors and enjoying it. Good to know your niece will feed and has the benefit of using your equipment. Sounds like a balanced agreement to me.

Sleep and rest well tonight. Hopefully your children can see their Dad soon as that would benefit them both. Plus give you more time to rest and distress.

Hugs and prayers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back