2-21-2018 - Donuts and Granola

I believe it, am sure northern Wisconsin & Minnesota may get the same sort of news. I remember when Calgary hosted the winter Olympics and had a warm spell that Feb. which sent some events out of town. Mother Nature seems on the war path this year. Liked the reference to the polar vortex.

Yesterday a.m. it was 19 above....(about -5°C)...and this morning, at 7 a.m. it is -4° F, which is around -20°C. Yep, aint' over yet, for sure.

But, let's look on the bright side......the sun is out. LOLOL

Good Morning.

It is cold here in the desert. Yesterday, my co-workers on the east coast were almost 20 degrees warmer than we were. And it will be the same today. Eeek!!! Of course we will warm up and they will cool down, but the 2-3 day warm up and melt will cause lots of problems, I'm guessing. Wacky weather this year.

Muzz - enjoy your granola.

Poirot - enjoy the sun. It never seems to last where you are.

Happy Wednesday.

Good morning. I'd better get a word in here because it's hard for me to imagine I wouldn't lose internet or worse today. We've got an ice storm in progress, everything is becoming coated in white. Radar shows a large area of it coming at us from the south so it doesn't appear it will let up soon. I'm praying the electric lines don't snap. My house is all electric. Right now I'm toasty warm but there's no way to bottle that and keep it that way without electricity. Hoping for the best.

Good morning everyone!

It's in the 70s here again today. According to the 7-day forecast 61 is as cold as it will get. If this keeps up some plants will bloom twice this year if it goes back cold again. I prefer this weather over the long stretch of days last month in the 20s. So does my bank account when it comes to the electric bill.

Muzza, stay warm.

Poirot, enjoy the sun. It's

Robin, enjoy your mini winter. I hope Noel is.

OC, stay safe with all that ice.

Lil0, good luck at the doctors.

Last night my husband and I went out to dinner and then picked up some stuff at the nice Walmart. I'll be sad when we move and and that one will be too far away for a quick trip. On the plus side an Aldi is being built right down the street from me. It will only be 15 minutes away from me after the move. Plus it's right down the street from my work.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Lil0, I'd been wondering about your eye. I pray you get a good report at the doctor.

When I had the sun room built across the back of the house a few years ago, I had a propane jet installed and bought a nice little heater for it, and had some propane put in the old tank we'd used years ago. Since there hasn't been any use for any of this, the heater has been stored away in a storage building, and I know the propane tank has had a leak. I don't know whether it is empty or not but there is no way I could get it all together to even try to use the heater, in the midst of all the ice/sleet being hurled at everything. It seems I'm not nearly attentive enough to taking preventative measures in a lot of cases.

IamRed, enjoy your warm days. Sounds good to me about now.

Robin and Noel, I just got a note from my friend from here, who is out visiting her kids in the Phoenix area right now. They met their kids in Las Vegas last week for some kind of show, and now have all gone back to Phoenix. She said she didn't even take a jacket with her on this trip and she nearly froze in Las Vegas. Still is cold in Phoenix but not as bad as L.V.

Last night we brought in all of our delicate trees, so my kitchen table and hallway is loaded with trees. At least we hadn't packed away the frost cloth. So the bigger trees that are difficult to move are covered. Love doing that just before bedtime. I should have paid more attention to the weather, as I could have done it earlier. It is my own darn fault.

OC - I hope you don't lose your electric. I wouldn't try that propane unless you absolutely have to. Too big of a risk.

LiI0 - I hope all goes well with the healing.

Good morning, and am echoing Robin's caution about the propane....definitely too much of a risk. If you lose power, please remember to turn off your water to your lines...you definitely do not need frozen water lines that crack when power is back on, they thaw and flood the place. Speaking from horrible experience.Also, fill a couple containers with water now...........just in case.

Morning Everyone,

I'm exhausted already. Moving to a new desk at work was quite the chore. It's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate in 3 years. I completely filled my new recycling can with old papers. I'm settled in now and trying to stay focused enough to work. But my new desk is set up opposite my old desk so I keep looking in the wrong place for the reference sheets I have hanging on the wall.

OC - I sure hope you don't lose your power. Be safe.

Muzz - Here's to hoping the weather warms up for all of us soon.

Lil0 - hope you're healing well and you get a good report.

Robin - I'm thinking it was good that you brought in all of your trees.

Poirot - I agree this winter has been terrible, and we're supposed to get snow tomorrow and again Saturday.

Red - 61* sounds wonderful.

Happy Wednesday!

Good day.

Yes it has been delightfully cooler here for a week today, and I am enjoying every minute. Last night our life was 38 and high today to be low. 70s. That is Spring temps in Indy (Midwest).

Muzza: sending warm wishes for an early thaw.

Poirot: maybe we should switch living places?

OC: please be careful in the ice storm and heed the good advice others are sharing with you. Does your niece call to check up on you?

Lil0: enjoy receiving a good eye report today post cataract surgery.

Manda: glad you are settled into your bew desk area and adjusting to the different drawers, spaces, etc. You will be a pro by Friday.

Robin: your trees/plants will look lovely in summer.

Red: enjoy your 'warmer' days.

KT: thinking of you and Remmy.

Squirrel: hope your day is lighter lifting than yesterday.

AGuy: waving hello

Kat: enjoy your volunteer work today.

DaysLady: continued prayers for your nephew and family.

Take care my friends.

Last edited:
Well, thank you all for the good wishes. Unfortunately, the healing is not going so well. A fair amount of inflammation! I will be using eye drops for the next 4 weeks!! I'm NOT good at getting drops into my eye, so I picked up one of those "eye drop guides", and hope that helps. I thought I was being very careful and following all the "rules", but I guess not careful enough. sigh.

Well, the area is sure readying itself for the influx of thousands for the big race. Plus, according to the radio, there are all kinds of smaller races, for little kids, older ones, short distances, etc. (The big one on Saturday is 55 km). Entrants come from every state except......Oklahoma has no entrant. LOL. Plus about 30 foreign countries. And you can imagine how happy everyone is now, it snowed all day the other day, is below zero, more snow tonight and on Friday, up north here, as well as in Mandy's area. If one is smart, one stays far, far away. The traffic and congestion will be horrible. Tho imagine the merchants are in 7th heaven. Actually, they close off Main St., and fill it with snow for 4 blocks, as the race ends with the racers skiing up Main St, to the finish line, and sounds of hundreds of cow bells rung by the spectators.

I always wonder if this event is on the news elsewhere.....cause it sure is a big deal. Also, I heard on the radio that some one from this area won gold at the Olympics!! No idea so far, but think it was cross country skiing event..........

@Poirot Maybe I missed it. What race are you referring to? Yes, we had a Chinook come through probably. The last time the winter Olympics were in Vancouver, I remember being out there about 2 weeks before opening ceremonies and remarking how warm it was. Organizers had to arrange for snow to be brought in. Lol.

I haven't watched any of the Olympics this year. I've read about some of the athletes and have checked medal counts but not watched anything.

Muzz - stay warm. We are breaking February records too. I wish it was warm records instead of cold.

Poirot - sounds like your town will be hopping this weekend.

Robin - I hope all your plants will be okay. That's a lot of work

OC - I'm keeping you in my prayers you don't lose electricity.

Lil0 - Good luck with your drops. It reminds me a couple years back, our neighbors wife had the surgery and her husband had to go out of town. They asked my husband to come do her drops because she couldn't do it and she had inflammation too. My husband did it every night for her for a couple of weeks and really got to know her and enjoyed the history she knew.

IamRed - I envy your temps! Enjoy.

Manda - I hope you get caught up. I don't like moving either. Seems like it takes a day or two to get back into sync.

Noel - I thought about you last evening sitting outside with no coat and taking deep breaths of the crisp air.

Well, I just looked at the calendar and we turn our clocks ahead in just a little over 2 weeks. Now it seems like winter really wasn't that bad. I no longer have to keeps lights on in the morning to get somewhere in the house because it's daylight. Last night it was 6:00pm before dusk started setting in.

Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another gloomy day here. High only in the low 30s today. No winter stuff
here last night. Maybe ice tonight. Today I took time to clean up in my office. It
looks a lot better. I'll finish Friday when I'm home.

OC, I hope your power didn't go out because of the ice storm.

robin, I hope you're enjoying the cooler weather.

Lil0, I hope the eye drops help with your healing.

manda, I hope after you get settled you'll enjoy your new office space.

Noel, school library days are Tuesday and Thursday.

I hope everyone will have a safe and nice evening.

Shan: the end of winter makes me sad but glad yours is coming to an end. So many of you have shoveled deep snow til exhausted.

Kat: oops thanks for reminding me of your volunteer days. Enjoy tomorrow at the library.

@Muzza........the race is the International Birkebeiner cross country ski race. Tis a huge thing, not only in this country but in Europe as well, And there are Canadian skiers entered, of course.

Back