2/24/17 - Donuts & the North Wind doth blow

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning folks. I still want that weatherman's job, lol. There is not another one where you can be so wrong, and you don't lose your job. LOL. O.K. woke up, no snow (which was to start after midnight. However, we have big winds, 25 mph,, and the snow began around 7 p.m. With the wind it was hard to tell, as was those tiny sort of "dots" but when you see it accumulating on sills, roof, lake, various spots, you know it is snowing, tho it is hard to see. LOL

Needless to say, the amounts have been reduced a lot, storm track moved north east of us, some areas hardly getting any. But the wind with the 24° temp, gosh it is cold. And in this room with windows all round, Brrrr. Tis 62 in here. Yuk.

Hope you all are much warmer........:)

Good morning. Not too too bad here. Currently sitting at -8*C (17.6*F) and expected to get to a high of -5*C (23*F). We had more snow this week but not like the previous snowfalls where you shovelled your driveway 5x's in a day. LOL!

My husband got us tickets for my birthday to see a concert in an old restored theatre downtown Calgary so we are going to see this tonight. It'll be something quite different than what we've ever been to so looking forward to the new experience. As I understand it, 5 guys from France play electro-acoustic music so should be interesting.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

We got all the snow they said we would and it's still coming down. I'm taking the day off of work because it's not worth another offroad adventure. I'm considering rescheduling my patients to next Friday, when I was supposed to be off. But my bosses are also pressuring me to work extra days, so I don't know. I just hate missing patients two weeks in a row if it can be avoided. I always say, "I could be bleeding out my eyes and still feel bad about calling in." It's true. I even felt terrible the day I spent half the morning in a ditch.

Strange weather everywhere.

When Goldie and I took our walk, I noticed more pear trees starting to bloom.
Red buds are too. Daffodils have been blooming for over a week. The high for
today might get to 50. It's supposed to be 24 in the morning.

Muzzaman, enjoy your concert. Sounds like an interesting group.

Jason, remember it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Poirot, I hope you miss the big snowfall. I read the morning several people
have died.

I hope everyone has the best day possible and stay safe in the weather.

Good morning,

Most of you sound stormed in at home. Here it is sunny, cooler and beautiful. The hummingbirds were out early and traffic is Friday busy. I admit to being very tired and looking forward to resting Sunday.

Poirot: of course I love the thought of snow, but with gusty winds that is some storm. Glad you are staying home today.

Muzza: your plans sound like great fun. Wishing you a great time.

JS: those are very rare here, but a treasure east of the Mississippi.

Jason: sometimes we have to do what is safer for us rather than practical. Hope you enjoy your day at home! Who knows, your patients may cancel due to the storm too.

Stay safe everyone and make it the best Friday possible.

Morning all.

Enjoyed the cooler temps last night. Haven't put the blanket away yet. I love the "weight" of it when sleeping. But it isn't something I use during the warmer months. I do love the sun rising a bit earlier.

This weekend is becoming busy now that the "spend the day with the stepmom" has gone. Other things are flowing into fill those hours. Nature hates a vacuum.

Happy Friday.

Good morning everyone,

Wow, what different weather we have here! Yesterday was clear (slightly breezy though) and 71F Today is clear again and 72F will be our high, unless it gets even warmer (lately the highs have been warmer than forecasted)!

Our nights have been in the 40sF and 50sF. Nice change of weather. We barbecued some burgers yesterday for dinner. Sadly, today I won't enjoy the weather much because I have an 8-hour shift at work. I will take my breaks outside in the sun though, so I guess that's better than nothing.

Hope all of you have a nice day.

Morning Everyone,

We sure have weird weather today, wind, snow, hail, thunder, lightning. It's supposed to rain later when it "warms up" a bit and then snow again later tonight. To think I was wearing sandals 2 days ago and today, I'm back to hat, scarf, winter coat and boots. Ahhh, tis February, I guess I should just be happy I could go barefoot for a few days.

My Girl Scouts absolutely loved the tour of the Police Department last night. They asked all kinds of questions about what the officers do to what kind of dogs they have and if they use both male and female dogs. They loved finding out that our department has 10 female officers. It was very fun. Here's a picture of our girls with the Police Officers.

upload_2017-2-24_9-29-48.png

Poirot - hope the weather eases up for you today.

Muzz - enjoy the concert, sounds interesting.

Kat - I miss flowers, glad you can see some.

JS - I love old theaters too. There's a really neat haunted one about a half hour from my city.

Noel - enjoy the cooler temps today

Robin - hope your weekend doesn't get too full

DaysD - have a good day at work

Jason - I feel the same way every time I miss work.

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning everyone!

Another sunny day in the 70s here. I feel like we will pay for this nice weather at some point but in the next 10 days the coldest day is 56 degrees.

Stay warm and safe all of you getting snow.

Stuff is starting to bloom here too and the grass is turning green again. It also means that everyone's allergies are acting up.

Working 3-10 again tonight. Thankfully I"m off tomorrow. Hopefully then I'll get to enjoy some of this amazing weather.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

@Jason,Mandy..........supposedly the storm path shifted more south. Heck, I am south of town, and it was snowing here, and not there, but 2 hrs. later it did begin there. Definitely not going to help that big cross country ski race, unless the wind dies a bit, and snowflakes get bigger. LOL.

Mandy, sounds like my weird weather of the other day reached you already.

Muzza, Know you will enjoy the play, and the surroundings, for sure. OC.....really hope you can get the internet problems solved once and for all. I do know things get so dicey when one lives so really rural as we do.

Ahhh, Robin, it does seem that there is always something to take away a "lazy day". LOL

I am soooo cold in this room with that dang wind blowing, and all these windows. Cannot warm it up in here. The wind is whipping trees etc. and actually can see snow covering roof, and wind blows it right off. LOL

Snowing to beat the band here and 26 degrees! We were forecast for sunny but cold! They are predicting snow starting Saturday evening through Tuesday. Poirot is right! I should have been a weatherperson! Everyone you talk to is sick of it! When I read here of everyone seeing flowers and trees budding I just can't fathom it.

We better get a long hot summer and no complaining about the heat either. LOL

Have a great day.

Robin: yes the cooler nights are lovely. The house was a perfect 64 when I awoke (no heat on). Hope your weekend is a good one in this great weather, outdoors without pressuring!

Days: I relate to working indoors all day. In cooler winter I eat outdoors at lunch too. I miss the beauty of nature and sunlight. Artificial light just isn't the same. Hope you have time outdoors this weekend.

Manda: love the photo of those 5 precious girls with the two friendly policemen. What a fun adventure for the girls. Hope your weekend is a fun one too.

OC: fingers crossed your internet is repaired before dinner. Still glad you have that hotspot for backup.

Red: glad you are seeing some Spring too. Hope your work shift is light and you rest well afterwards.

Shan: you can have our 7+ month summer with 110++ temperatures without any complaining from me!! I would love your winters too. Stay safe and warm my friend.

My time outside for lunch is over. Take care everyone.

21° here, wind still blowing, still snowing, but the big ski race was cancelled. Can you imagine all those international skiers who flew to the U.S. for this thing.....and now they cannot race? Interview yesterday with lady from Australia who comes ever year. Wow, they come from Norway, Italy, Germany, Sweden, Canada, just all over. There were over 7000 registered. Then there are family members, friends, etc. It truly is a huge thing.

My hands are so cold, I can barely type. LOL I have a throw over my legs. When that wind comes across the lake, straight at the windows here......nothing helps.

Such a shame that they all traveled so far to have the race cancelled at the last minute.

Try to stay warm Barb, that wind sounds terrible. I haven't ventured outside since I came to work.

Thankfully the power came back on around 1:00. It's much easier to type with the lights on, especially dealing with the stuff I do at work.

Glad your power came back Manda.

Poirot, how awful, for the race to be cancelled, disappointing so many people! They must feel like they have thrown a bunch of money out the window.

Speaking of disappointments, I'm still trying to navigate through this internet mess. The technician was here for nearly an hour. He had to work on the antenna and inside as well. He got everything fixed and connected and even set up my new router, BUT he had already given me the bad news when he first got here, that the company is shutting down the tower that provides my service. This is the same guy who has come for all my service calls this past year. He is so nice. He's a veteran, has served in the Middle East, a young man, just nice as can be. I think he was nearly as upset about this as I am.

They are shutting down a lot of their towers in areas where they don't have enough customers to make it pay out. I understand that but it sure leaves me hanging out there. I do find fault with the company that they aren't notifying the customers. He was upset too, that they left him to be the bearer of bad tidings. The thing is, they don't seem to have cutoff dates. They are just not fixing towers when something goes wrong on them, and they're going around taking equipment off them, seemingly with no overall plan. He told me mine could last 30 days or 60 days or it could go down at any time. Well, I have a feeling it has already gone down.

Shortly after he left, I turned on my computer and was unable to connect to the internet. I called tech support (I get different people, all over the country, so they don't know about what's going on here with the towers). The person checked everything out and told me everything at my place is working. He said there seems to be a problem at your tower. :eek: I didn't bother to tell him what I thought that means.

The technician who came to the house suggested I call Pinnacle, a small broadband service that is local to this region. They have a tower at the town which is across the river from me so he was hopeful their tower might be able to reach me. I called them. They were able to pinpoint my location exactly and measure the distance. The maximum distance they can reach is 10 miles.

Their tower is 14 miles from me because it is located east of that town, while I am just about 10 miles west of that town. I'm emotionally tired from all of this. Will let it rest for tonight and try to find out tomorrow if my tower has in fact been shut down. If so, I need to make sure they are no longer charging me, since the payment is taken automatically. Sorry to go on so about this. Thanks for listening. :cry:

Back