3/20/2017 - Donuts and Spring!

Discussion in 'Donuts & ???' started by Just Samantha, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Happy first day of spring!

[​IMG]

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, SHANRICK and 5 others appreciate this.
  2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning everyone. Yep, the first day of spring, and the current temp is 32*F. Warming up a mite later with rain on the way. Yuck!

This is an office day for me with meetings this morning. People will be coming in later if they bother to keep their appointments with me. I'll be lucky if even one shows up today.

This is also Fred Rogers' birthday. He would've been 89 today. (His mother knitted all of the sweaters that he wore on his PBS show, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. The show was produced at WQED in Pittsburgh, PA.)
    [​IMG]

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, SHANRICK and 6 others appreciate this.
  3. Poirot

Poirot
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good morning all. We were to get rain or snow yesterday, but..never appeared. Snow is melting atop the ice, and this a.m., it was dark clouds, but as the sun rose, the sky was all red streaked, and it reflected on the places where water had been standing (froze overnight) and looked so pretty then, pink streaks here and there on the lake. Those scenes only last for several seconds, wish I had a good camera to grab a photo. All gone too soon.
    Have to get dressed to go meet the gals for breakfast......be back later. Have a good day. 39 this a.m. here. :)

4. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Happy Spring!

Of course it is summer here with 95F predicted for today. Late yesterday afternoon I could not take the heat in the house one moment longer. It was 87F in the house so I turned on the A/C. I turned it off a couple hours later but plan on doing the same thing when I get home today. An ambient temperature for me is more like 70F in my home.

Glad Spring weather is touching more areas of the country today. The first day of Spring should be a beautiful one.Wishing each of you a great Monday.

[​IMG]

JS: Thanks for the Spring welcome to our day.

RS: love the reminder about Mr. Rogers.

Poirot: have a great breakfast with friends.

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, SHANRICK and 4 others appreciate this.
  5. mandamiee

mandamiee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good Morning,

So happy for spring to be here Here's to hoping we actually have spring like weather, instead of extended winter. :)

We a semi-busy weekend. Saturday was shopping and then an afternoon at Funset Boulevard, which is very similar to a Chuck E Cheese, but slightly more grown up with bumper cars and laser tag and such. Gena had a blast. She'd stay on the bumper cars all day.

Sunday we had church and then I visited my aunt an uncle who live about a half hour away from me. I had to drop off their cookies and then just stayed to visit for awhile as I don't get to see them nearly as often as I'd like. I stayed long enough to help my aunt get my uncle from his wheelchair back into bed.

He broke his leg at the end of November. Because he had polio as a child, which affected the muscles in his legs, he hasn't been able to put weight on it in years. So it takes an extra long time for his bones to heal. They have a system down where the two of them can get him into and out of bed, but she can't slide him up into a comfortable position by herself. I was glad to help, they are like my second parents.

RS - good luck with the office visits. I never knew that Mr. Rogers' mom made all of his sweaters. What a fun fact.

Poirot - what a lovely image I have in my mind of your sunrise.

Noel - ugh so hot, I don't know how you stand it. Stay cool down there girl.

JS - thanks for the fun spring picture. :)

6. robinsnest

robinsnest
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Happy First Day of Spring.

Last night was the first night for our homemade whole-house fan. Cooled the house down nicely for just the cost of a single fan and not the A/C unit.

Today's commute will be the 45 second walk from this location to the "office".

Hope all have a great first day of spring.

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, SHANRICK and 5 others appreciate this.
  7. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Manda: your busy weekend sounds like great fun. Gena must be a pro now on bumper cars. How sweet of you to help your aunt & uncle during your visit. Enjoy your Spring weather.

Robin: you must be exhausted from your long walk to the office. Your cooling system is great. My electric bill at least doubles when I turn the A/C on. In March?! Have a great day.

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, robinsnest and 3 others appreciate this.
  8. IamRed

IamRed
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning everyone and Happy Spring!

It's 47 here right now and supposed to get to 59. Much better than yesterday's rain/snow and low 40s. At least I didn't have to worry about the snow sticking.

Noel, I don't know how you managed to live in a house with it at 87 degrees. You should tell your family that you burn more electricity by letting the house get so hot instead of keeping it at a steady temperature.

Poirot, enjoy your breakfast with the gals.

Manda, bless you for being there for your aunt and uncle.

robin, enjoy your work from home day.

rs, I hope you have a productive office day.

Working 3-10 today. Glad it only takes me like 5 minutes to get to work now. And no more getting woke up by a toddler. I love my niece but I don't want to live the life of a parent.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, robinsnest and 5 others appreciate this.
  9. ktspirit

ktspirit
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    It's going to be a perfect spring day here. The high will be 84F (though that might feel like summer to some of you, lol). The dewberries have been blooming for a few weeks, then we had the recent frost. I hope that doesn't mess up my wild "crop", lol. I always look forward to making that first dewberry cobbler of the season! Al a mode of course, lol.

Take care, folks.

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, robinsnest and 5 others appreciate this.
  10. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Red: Glad your drive to work is much shorter now and you've settled into your new place. I feel a little guilt about how hot I get in temperatures most people find comfortable. I love very cold weather but once it is over 85F I am absolutely hot.

KT: how fabulous to have dewberries ripening now. Enjoy your beautiful Spring day and season. Yum, cobbler ala mode.

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, robinsnest and 3 others appreciate this.
  11. mandamiee

mandamiee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Red - enjoy the new shorter commute.

KT - I've never heard of dewberries. I'll have to check them out on Google.

Noel - I get hot at 72*, so you are a trooper to make it to the 80's. LOL

As for helping my aunt & uncle, I'd drop everything to help them if they needed me to. They are wonderful amazing people. Sometimes they treat me better than my own parents.

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, robinsnest and 4 others appreciate this.
  12. A. Guy

A. Guy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Noel, do you feel that you may return to a more temperate climate in the distant future? I'm good to about 85*, beyond that, no. :rolleyes:

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, robinsnest and 2 others appreciate this.
  13. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    AGuy: as much as my heart rests in Indiana, my life has to be here now. We moved for hubby's job opportunity and children are all settled in here. Hopefully a time will come when another door will open. Thanks for asking. Hope your day is awesome.:)

Daysdegrassi, katmouse, robinsnest and 2 others appreciate this.
  14. Poirot

Poirot
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all......Breakfast was fabulous, Got thanked for arranging it, everyone was so happy to see each other. Lots of gabbing and jabbering, we were long over eating, the restaurant was empty, so after 2 left, the remaining 4 gabbed another 1/2 hr. We finally left about 10:45, knowing that soon lunch crowd would be arriving. Our waitress was delightful, and did not bug us about leaving. LOLOL

Anyway, I got home in time to see the last half of Days, and I did not enjoy seeing what I saw. But references were made to scenes in lst half, so.......my local doesn't come on til later, will watch then. Summary will be up late again.

News was full of Phoenix setting a record for March 19th.....96*. And IamRed is right about maintaining the steady temp in the house, with the A/C. Hubby was in the heating and A/C business, and was emphatic about that as I was one to turn the A/C off. You can keep the house at a higher temp, then the A/C won't go on, or run continuously. We had whole house in Il. but not any up here. We do have a small window unit on the sun porch, only gets turned on if the outside temp goes over 85 or so. LOL The lake does keep us cooler, plus all the trees.

Was clouded over all morning, but the sun just finally came out, no idea for how long.

mandamiee, Daysdegrassi, katmouse and 4 others appreciate this.
  15. ktspirit

ktspirit
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    They are kind of like wild blackberries, just a southern thing, maybe?

16. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    kt, do they taste similar to blackberries?

[​IMG]

17. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    We have them in Indiana too.

mandamiee, Daysdegrassi, katmouse and 3 others appreciate this.
  18. SHANRICK

SHANRICK
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Rained and horrible winds on Saturday and Sunday was gorgeous. We went for a long walk and had Ember ride her bike along with us. It was really nice to be out but my sinuses seem to be upset today. Supposed to be rainy the rest of the week and we have so much flooding here. So sad!

Happy Spring!

mandamiee, Daysdegrassi, katmouse and 3 others appreciate this.
  19. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Shan: glad your weekend was enjoyable despite the winds. Hoping new rains are sparse to reduce flooding. Weather is weird this year. Hope your sinus congestion quickly clears and you feel better.

20. Old Cowgirl

Old Cowgirl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    I finally finished getting all my tax stuff ready after 9:00 last night. Have an appointment with the CPA at 4:00 today. It is a huge relief to get done with it. I really let things get into a mess over the past year. Am trying hard to stay on top of it as I go along this year.

It's 89* here right now. Yeah, it feels pretty warm outside. So glad our days of building barbed wire fences are behind us! Hot in summer and cold in winter.

Manda, it's easy for me to imagine how much your aunt appreciated the help with your uncle. A helping hand once in a while is a blessing indeed!