3-21-2017 - Donuts & Strawberries

Noel

Reaction score
This morning no donuts for this diabetic but a few luscious strawberries was delightful. It is California Strawberry Day according to a friend so enjoy this healthy fruit.

Our temperature is supposed to be 3-4 degrees lower so that would be a relief. We missed another record yesterday by one degree. I want to not need my A/C again like a normal March. Hope your area is beautiful and Spring temperatures.

Take care everyone and make it a great Tuesday.:)

Good morning all.......weird weather here. last night, Radio says, 11 p.m. was 27, around 1 a.m. it shot up to 40! Stayed there til around 4 or 5, then plummeted back down as a cold front moved in. 27 at 6 a.m. Sun is out. I am draggin'. Woke at 1 a.m., tossed and turned til around 3, finally dozed off, only to get woken up at 5:30. Ugh.

Batteries not recharged for sure. Oh, well, such is life. Strawberries sound wonderful, but...well, up here, this time of year, any produce, any at all, seems to already be past prime when in the store, and if not used within a day, begins to spoil. Living so far from town, shopping for a week, not good at all. :)

Morning all.

And now for my little complaint about strawberries. I wish some growers wouldn't go for the massive, huge, tasteless berries. I'd prefer the smaller sweeter berries. When I traveled to Latvia a couple of years ago, the strawberries were the size they were when I was a kid and so very sweet. Not these huge, great for dipping, berries we get now. Oh well, another thing made better by science and demand.

Off to the office today. Turned in a spread sheet last night. Took 2 days to do and it was kicked back today. I need to color code it and add back the 5 columns I found confusing, and frankly useless, but hey, I'll do it.

Happy Tuesday.

Robin: the California strawberries I have sent to me are ripe, luscious and tasty. We grew our own in Indy. These hybrids in fruits/vegetables are grown for size, plucked early and then radiated to look ripe.

But they are tasteless because they did not ripen normally. Hope you have fun replacing those useless columns of info your executives deem so valuable. :sarcasm:

Good Morning,

Noel - now I'm hungry for fresh berries. I think I'll take Gena strawberry picking this year. Oh the fun things we can do in June (sigh). When I pick my own sun ripened strawberries they are so good and sweet. I better stop I'm starting to drool.

Poirot - that is strange weather, even for Wisconsin. I hope you can sneak in a nap today.

Robin - good luck with your spreadsheet.

Tonight our Girl Scouts will be touring the local animal shelter, to learn more about animal care and get the 2nd to last step of our journey completed. The girls are all very excited to see the different animals and learn more about how they care for them until they get adopted.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Good morning. I have the same problem as Poirot with strawberries. It is almost impossible to buy fresh ones in the stores here. On top, they look okay, but there are nearly always some with mold, if you get past the top layer. I find I do better with frozen berries, for that reason. If I were young and energetic, I think I would grow as much of my food as possible. We had dear friends in Pennsylvania who grew strawberries but I don't think I've ever heard of anybody around here growing them so they probably don't do well in our alkaline soil. Blackberries, peaches, and pecans are popular crops in this area.

It is 68* here and gonna get to 92* today. Everything is coming out early, according to temperatures, not calendars. The irises that my parents planted in the 1950s have been blooming for about a week. They don't usually do that until early April. I used to always take a picture of my son on his birthday, April 10, standing next to the purple blooms.

Poirot, we could have almost crossed paths last night. I went to bed at 11:30 and woke up at 3:30. Finally got up a little after 6:00. The only way I ever seem to get any sleep is by taking allergy pills, but they leave me hung over and dragging. Without them, I don't sleep. Seems like I am dragging all the time anymore, either way.

Manda, that sounds like a useful thing to show the girls. So many children these days live in cities and don't learn much about animal care, although most families have dogs or cats or both, it seems.

Manda - that is a great thing to do with the girls. Learning about animals that people have thrown away is important to help break that trend.

I have done work at a shelter. I had a friend who worked nights at the shelter. She spent 6 of her 8 hour shift getting the kennels empty for the next day's intake, as it was a "kill" shelter. Not surprising that position rarely had anyone work longer than 3 months. But made her a very strong spay/neuter your pet person. Can't believe the people who get the cute little puppy not realizing just how big a St. Bernard grows. Or how snappy a darling Cocker Spaniel can be.

Manda: how exciting for the girls to your a shelter. Animals were such a core of my life and taught me many useful life lessons. Who knows, maybe one of your girls may become a vet? Sure hope you enjoy the visit too.:)

OC: the sandy soil here is too acidic to grow berries here too. Sure sorry to hear you are having difficulty sleeping too. Hope you catch a nap today and sleep better tonight.

Robin: I also volunteered at a no-kill shelter and it broke my heart daily. People discard their pets because they are "too big or too small; to loud or too quiet; too playful or too lazy" etc. And many dump their pets when they move by leaving them at their old home! I often wonder what type of parents they make.:angry:

I was sitting here a minute ago in the quietness and kept hearing something. At first it sounded like a cat meowing, but we have no cats. Got up and looked out and saw a lone turkey gobbler strolling along, stopping every few steps to "gobble." Guess he's looking for females. He looked a little bit bedraggled. Wonder if he'd been fought off by another male?

I saw something I'd never seen before. I hear turkeys all the time, just down the hill or out in the trees, and I see them up close in my yard, but I'd never before seen one while it was making the gobble sound. This one was extending his neck way out each time he made the sound. We had some domestic turkeys one time. I must have seen them do it, but that was ages ago so I don't remember.

Our shelter here ...well, they have a vet who spays/neuters any pups they get, even bigger dogs. Most of the people there are volunteers. It does seem they get more cats than dogs, although they sometimes take a bunch of dogs down to Milwaukee or Madison, if they have been here and not adopted for too long a period.

The shelter in the next town burned down a few days ago, seems they had a PLASTIC cigarette container outside the door, and evidently, it caught fire at night., so there is going to be a ton of fund raising to rebuild. Our little town here had a few fundraisers.....one is called The Paws that Refreshes, lol. They also have a little 2nd hand store, staffed by volunteers, to sell donated items (no clothing, large furniture, or appliances. )

One of the neatest charity things is the Habitat for Humanity store. They get lots of donations when they build a house, or replace siding/windows on one already built. Anyway, they have leftovers, plus folks building a new home will donate leftover shingles, cabinets, doorknobs, odds and ends. So you can buy new stuff, cheap, money for a good cause. Some folks are ingenious with their ideas.

Sun is out, but has not warmed up.

Hi everybody. This has been a crazy day already. I got pulled into a training session for another department because that supervisor thought I'd enjoy it. I loved it, and I participated more with the new assistive technology equipment than most of the people who had to be there.

If you have a chance to see the new Beauty and the Beast, please do. It was wonderful. I even admit to having the sniffles and shedding a few tears.

Signed up for a craft class this Sunday afternoon. It looks like the Easter Bunny took a nosedive into the flower pot.

listing.jpg

I've been buying all of my produce at Aldi. Besides being a lot less expensive, everything is fresher and lasts longer. The strawberries have been scrumptious.

Last edited:
The shelter visit will be fun, but I'll need to take my Benadryl before we go. I'm allergic to just about everything with fur. I do have a cat, but since we got her as a kitten and I'm around her all the time, it's just about the same as getting an allergy shot, except for when she needs to be brushed, then I sneeze like crazy.

RS - glad you liked the movie and the training. :)

Robin - I agree about the dumb reasons people ditch their pets. I can't imagine just leaving my cat behind.

OC - interesting that your turkey sounds like a cat, and when I first got my cat she chirped like a bird. That's how she got her name of Squeaker.

Poirot - We have a Habitat Restore too. I love it for finding odds and ends when I need to fix stuff in the upstairs apartment. I've purchased 3, yes 3, toilets from there as the old tenant had a thing about breaking toilets and I was not spending the money on a new one. I do believe the current toilet is pink, but I can't remember for sure. I do know that when I bought the pink one it was only $5 and Gena thought it was the best toilet ever. :rotfl: For $5, I was all in on the pink. My other choice would have been the baby blue toilet for $7.50. But we've also bought a new front door, bathroom faucet, cabinet hinges, and a light fixture there.

Manda, my daughter would like your commode, I'm sure. They live in a 1930s house and she's like I am about keeping as many of the vintage features as possible. Their main bathroom is pink and gray but the pink commode finally bit the dust. She replaced it with a gray one. I'm sure in a place like Dallas an old pink one could have been found. Guess she didn't have the time to go searching.

Allergies are a big reason why I won't have animals inside my house. Long ago one of my allergy doctors told me I was allergic to all animal dander, like you, Manda. (Not that I needed anybody to tell me). I hadn't thought of it working like allergy shots. Maybe that's how my son gets by with having a cat in their house.

@robinsnest, I agree with you regarding strawberries. I like them red or pink all the way through. If you have a good place to grow them, you would probably like alpine strawberries.

Want to laugh? Several years ago, a fairly new motel closed up, held an auction for all the furnishings, etc. Beds, dressers, TVs, chairs, little frigs, you can imagine, you know how a motel room is furnished. So, when all the furniture, computers, lobby furnishings, sinks, toilets, showers, tubs, etc. were gone.....plus carpeting, they began auctioning off the other stuff.

Yes, I am talking all the windows, the doors, shingling on the roof, the siding.....paneling.......it was unreal. And yes, could not believe how everything not only got sold, but the persons began taking out the windows and doors, whatever it was they bought. Probably a lot of folks there were contractors, home builders, maybe even other motel owners, I have no idea. I happened to be in town running errands, and every time I passed,........that motel was getting more and more naked. LOL I don't think there was anything left of it, when it was over. If there was, it got quickly hauled off to a disposal site. Next day, there was nothing there. Was unreal.

Tonight our Girl Scouts will be touring the local animal shelter, to learn more about animal care

This reminds me of when I worked for the Alabama Department of Public Health. Definitely not a good tour. We had complaints stacking up about a no-kill shelter in a very rural part of the county. The state organized public health officials, state and local veterinarians, game wardens, sheriff deputies, you name it, to serve a warrant on the place. It was the saddest and most awful thing I've ever seen. They were getting animals from all over, but the conditions were atrocious. This was in the late 1980s or early 1990s, I can't remember.

Another busy day. I hope I can stay up until bedtime. Goldie and I walked
four turns on our walk this morning. She stopped and I think she wanted
to go around again. Bible study went well. First time I taught a lesson.
I wanted to work in my flower bed today, but I rain in forecast for the
next ten days off and on. So instead I mowed the whole yard. I haven't done
that in years.

My town has a Habitat resale place. I went one time when my friend
took things to donate. It helps keep things out of the landfill.

rs, I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I know I'll be needing tissue when I
see it.

manda, enjoy your evening at the animal shelter. I'm sure some of
the girls will want to take a pet home.

I hope everyone has a relaxing evening after their busy day.

Manda: your tour of the shelter should be going now so I hope your allergies aren't making you sick. Excited to read about it tomorrow and how Gena responded.

RS: thanks for the movie review. My daughter is begging to see it so it is on our Friday night list.

Goodnight all.

Back