3/6/17 - Donuts and a bored kitten

Oh, wow, Wayne, I also have State Farm...once I had a guy in a pickup, in a parking lot, in MINNESOTA, hit me in driver's door. It was winter, I was driving the extreme right lane (had a witness in the car) . So called the cops (no tickets, mall parking lot) exchanged info, etc. turned out, the guy was driving a friend's car, so then State Farm was battling two ins. companies.....in another state, but they paid for MY repairs, etc. The driver of the other car was claiming it was my fault, saying I was partially in the wrong lane, into which he was attempting to turn(going the opposite way). Glad I had my witness, but it still ended up going into arbitration. And that may be what will happen in Lisa's case. This means it goes to "ins. court", in Wisconsin that is in the state capital in Madison. So then it ended up, that I got 80% of my deductible back, but State Farm had already paid in full for my car.

Sorry for the long blah blah, but I am surprised it already hasn't gone into arbitration, for Lisa, with the other ins. companies dragging their heels. Am even more surprised State Farm has not already reimbursed her. Does she have a State Farm office in town, or her agent. (Even for a small town, we do! )

Wayne, that's awful.

State Farm needs to change their slogan, since it's "Like
a Good Neighbor, State Farm is
there". That's not true, is it?

Oh, wow, Wayne, I also have State Farm...
State Farm *finally* paid off the blue book on her car, leaving her $3000 short. The GAP insurance company just paid off the other part, leaving her $511 in the hole. Meanwhile, State Farm only paid 80% of a rental car, but she couldn't afford to keep the rental (even just paying 20%) and it would have run out after 20 days anyway.

She just had to lay out $1000 of her own money to get into the new car (down payment), which *I* don't think she should have had to do at all.

It's been a real mess from the getgo, and -- as I say -- if it were me, I'd be in someone's office flailing around proverbial dead cats until they got me sorted and into a replacement car at a break even point or better. My "pain and suffering" runs at about $1000/day for every day some idiot leaves me without a car.

Lisa however is a sweetheart, truly the yin to my yang, and has been through getting hit and having her car totaled before where they basically screwed her and she's just "that's the way it works". I'm a little more "rock and roll" when it comes to such things.

Wayne, Lisa should definitely try going directly through her agent. When my husband was re-ended, State Farm paid for everything up front (except for the rental, we don't have that coverage) and was reimbursed by the insurance company of the driver who hit him.

They also had to pay to fix the car they pushed my husband into. They also reimbursed us for the rental car. Unfortunately they have 3 years to wheel and deal and figure it all out. That's the statute of limitations. She may want to look into retaining an attorney, who will get a portion of whatever reimbursement they get for her. My husband did that as he's still having back problems 2 years later from his accident.

Yes, I was IN THE OFFICE a few times, was nice, but hey....

At the time, State Farm perused car ads, noting what my make, model, year vehicle would cost to buy, and that is how they determined what to give me. I do agree, that another vehicle might have more miles, or be not in the same good condition as our own. I remember having a rental car, but less than a week. Rental cars are never decent cars (the ones the repair shops have. LOL)

Someone side-swiped my truck once and he had no insurance. My insurance company paid to fix the truck, less my deductible, and pursued legal action against the other driver. Several years later, I got a check in the mail for my deductible. At least the guy paid, over time I assume.

Another time, someone rear-ended me and totaled my car. The other driver's insurance company didn't want to pay me squat for my car and I had to look up the value myself (it had some special features, not the standard model). I did what Wayne said he would do and harassed them every chance I got. They did supply me a rental and I had it for weeks. I finally got through to them when I pointed out the rental was going to end up costing them more than paying for my car, lol.

Pennsylvania is a "No Fault" state. Our own insurance usually pays for the damage to our cars. Then the insurance companies duke it out.

I have Nationwide, and I only deal with my own agent. Things are taken care of very quickly and thoroughly.

By state law, we also have the option of having "Tort" or "No Tort" on our insurance. "No Tort" is basically giving up the right to sue the other driver. I have "Tort" on mine. It only costs me $4.00 a year so having it is a no brainer.

Back