4/20/17 - Donuts and Caffeine

I'm late getting here, but I see it's been a busy day. RS, you have better eyes than I! I've never noticed those dots before, but had to look, lol.

I called my mother today and she has her new talk-to-text telephone (for the hearing impaired) installed. Apparently it doesn't understand Southern dialects, lol. It was translating badly or giving a message saying inaudible (in a funny way like autocorrect). I intentionally threw in some southern slang words and phrases to see what would come up. Ain't came up as eat and paint, lol. I spelled ain't and it came up correctly after that. I guess the robot is learning, but do I have to be the one to teach it? LOL

Take care.

My mother said the same thing happened when my brother called. I don't think her hearing aids are working either, but after the "trial" period, she will have to pay thousands of dollars for them regardless. We can't get through to her about taking action before the time runs out, grrrr.

Robin, I think we probably had the same knee surgery. I remember that it smarted quite a bit, afterward. It didn't help that the anesthesia wore off before the procedure was finished. :eek: :eek: :eek:

KT, I hope that you will be able to talk your mom into returning those hearing aids, if you don't think that she will use them.

JS, I can't help but suspect that those voluntary home inspections may some day become mandatory. A matter of incrementalism.

I can't think of the song title, but the lyric "paranoia sets in" sometimes goes through my head. :eek: "Hey children, what's that sound?" is also in it.

Downloaded Donovan's "Catch the Wind" the other day; another one that wouldn't leave me. Had planned to play my modest iTunes files on the car radio, but there are volume issues. Thought that I had accidently damaged the speakers, but they seem OK.
And, this is really bad, I just got another car, and the radio doesn't feature a CD player! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I will have to dig out my CD Walkperson, check the batteries, and plug it into the car's USB port. :eek: On the plus side, the car radio does have a plethora of other distracting electronic features, most of which I probably will never use.:sarcasm: Rant over, sorry! :drunk:

@mandamiee, infuriating. As far as I know, CDs remain the highest-fidelity music media, and could retain that position, as long as humans don't evolve better hearing. :rolleyes:

Heard a great version of "Darling" on the radio; used "SoundHound" to determine that the singer was Johnny Reid.

I tried to get the song via iTunes; could not, because USA Apple does not have permission to sell that Reid song. Apple Canada can sell it, but not to me. So, I bought the album via eBay, thinking that I could load it onto the iPhone. No luck, so far. I think that Apple is somehow blocking the process. Things like this make me want to keep CDs. :) Plus, one can lend them to friends, and re-sell them. "Darling" is very popular in Canada, a line dancing favorite; many good examples on YouTube.

I think maybe I should go easier on the caffeine! :) :) :)

Squirrel, that's a huge bingo! Thanks! A lot of the music from that time still sounds great.

Since we're on the subject, I will regale you with this. In 2007, there was a James Taylor Tribute TV special; many well known performers. Alison Krauss ( :love: :love:) among them. She sang "Going to Carolina," accompanied by Jerry Douglas; very beautiful. On YouTube. Her performance is not available from the usual places, so I found the DVD of the entire Tribute show. Unfortunately, only a few after-market car radios are able to play audio-only from a DVD. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: So, I asked somebody, who knew somebody who was able to pull that song from the DVD, and record it on a CD. :drunk:

An awful lot of trouble for a song! Just talking about this puts me in the mood to dig out the CD, and play it when I go out later. :) And if I should also play Sheryl Crowe's "Leaving Las Vegas," I will feel the urge to pull off on the shoulder, get out of the car, and dance! Hope I don't get arrested. :eek:

Have a great, safe day, everyone!

Squirrel, that's a huge bingo! Thanks! A lot of the music from that time still sounds great.

My favorite music is still what we listened to in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s. My oldest sister played all of the 50s music at home on the big console hifi stereo. I learned all of the songs and dances with her when she practiced to go out to the hops at the park and local churches.

My entire CD collection is mostly old music and a wide variety. It consists of old music I learned from the elders in my family and ones I listened to in my younger years. Thankfully, those were put on CD. I do have some recent music in digital format, but mostly I listen on YouTube.

People may be very sorry if CDs and DVDs go away. They have real value, unlike the various pay-per-view schemes. You can watch/listen as often as you please, over many years, lend/sell them to others, and copy them (only as a back-up for yourself!)

PS: My Wednesday buffet plays 60s Muzak. :)

Back