45 Years Ago today: Robert Clary's debut as Robert

Jason47

Reaction score
Robert Clary's first script cover:

Here's a look back at the debut script and telecast report for Robert Clary's (Robert LeClair)'s first "Days" episode, # 1717, which aired 45 years ago today, 8/28/72. Note in the original script, LeClair was spelled as LeClare. Mr. Clary, a survivor of the concentration camps during World War II, is now 91.

21083789_989684797840461_2858135343441864364_o.jpg

Ya know, I always liked Robert Clary. In fact I loved him in anything he did. I wasn't watching Days 45 years ago, never saw him on Days, but have read his storyline. He was such a good performer,

I loved Robert LeClair on Days and his whole storyline with little Dougie. Would love to see them return to Salem. Wouldn't Hope be surprised to find out Dougie is her little brother?

Just love the historical Days posts. My GG watched from day one and would have known all about him.

I remember him well. He was a real asset to Days. Of course back then, Days was full of good storylines.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was on a comedy show called Hogan's Heroes?

Yes, he was one of the stars of Hogan's Heroes, along with Richard Dawson of Family Feud fame.

I loved Robert LeClair on Days and his whole storyline with little Dougie. Would love to see them return to Salem. Wouldn't Hope be surprised to find out Dougie is her little brother?
Could you fill us in on the story? Thanks!

This is Dougie's bio from Beth's Days of Our Lives Page, which is no longer online:

Douglas North Williams LeClair was born via artificial insemination in 1976 to Doug Williams and Rebecca North. Doug, hoping to give his young daughter Hope a sibling, decided to have a woman be his surrogate. That woman was Rebecca, his housekeeper, although Doug never knew she was the one who carried his child. Rebecca claimed that the baby's father was her boyfriend, Johnny Collins. Johnny and Rebecca broke up after Johnny found out the true situation with the baby and her friend Robert LeClair stepped in, marrying the pregnant Rebecca in July 1976. Robert hoped Rebecca would grow to love him. Doug and Julie soon reconciled and hoped to have children, so Doug felt no need to have a child via a surrogate (who was still anonymous).

Rebecca was now able to keep the baby. Robert was present at the birth of the boy that year. Robert named Dougie after his best friend, Doug. After his birth, Rebecca received a note from Johnny and it was clear she still loved him. Rebecca went to Japan to be with Johnny. When Rebecca died two years after leaving Salem, they contacted Dougie's legal father, Robert. Robert flew to Japan to claim custody of his son and took him to Paris to live with his sister because he felt Dougie would need a maternal influence. At that point, Dougie was renamed Charles.

What the bio leaves out is that Doug eventually found out Dougie was his child. Not sure if it was before or after Rebecca died. I believe he set up a trust fund for Dougie. But then Robert found out Doug was Dougie's biological father and it caused tension between them.

Here's a picture of Dougie's ornament, and a picture of Dougie and Hope:

d12ea79e29578be137d22696ee6d30ea.jpg
dougiehope79.jpg

Back