5/27/16 - Donuts & Back to School

mandamiee

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,

It's a going to be a hot steamy day here.

Thankfully Gena is feeling better and back to school. Hurray!! Tomorrow she's going with Nana & Papa (aka Grandma & Grandpa) to some museum up north in WI to make her own art projects. She's super excited and will be leaving at 8:30 in the morning. It'll sure be quiet while she's gone, but hopefully we can get the garden tilled and the compost down while she's away so we can plant our tomatoes and get some beans and cucumbers planted. I also need to plant the lovely bleeding heart that my friend gave me for my birthday. That will be going in the front flower beds.

If I don't stop in over the weekend, have a wonderful Memorial Day!! I'll be at the parade cheering for our troops and local service men & women.

Good morning. Manda, it's good to hear Gena is feeling well enough to get back to school, and especially to make her trip tomorrow! Hope the weather cooperates with your gardening plans.

Nothing planned here yet. I've been waiting for a prescription at Wal-Mart for a week. It needed a call to the doctor. I've checked in a few times. Called yesterday and the lady said she would send them another fax right then so I need to check with them now to see if it's ready so we can pick it up today, before the long weekend. Hoping I don't have to call the doctor's office myself. It's for glaucoma drops so the husband doesn't need to be without them.

Looks like the storms have passed for a day or two. We got only 0.2" and no damaging hail, thank goodness! I feel for people who have outdoor plans for the weekend. Sunday and Monday the thunderstorms will be back in these parts.

Good Morning!

We're still in the hot, dry 90's leading up to 100 weather window. Blah and boring; especially with dust storms.

Working this long holiday weekend. The rest of the family has a fun and busy schedule planned with extended family and church.

MANDA: so glad Gena is feeling better and looking forward to her time with grandparents. Proud of you for celebrating our veterans.

OC: Sure hope the pharmacy fills your hubby's glaucoma prescription today. And wishing you a nice lovely day.

Wishing each of you a beautiful Memorial Day weekend. Just one more thing I miss about the midwest - Indiana - is that we ceebrate this holiday focused on our veterans. We spruce up cemetaries and lay wreaths/flowers on the grave stones of fallen hereos. We visit nursing homes and take small gifts of appreciation to our veterans. The entire family goes to the Memorial Day parade - no matter how few veterans remain alive to march in their uniforms.

In Phoenix it's more a 'summer celebration' per one news anchor. So if like me you live in an area that does not reach out to celebrate our veterans - and you have veterans in your family who are ignored - please reach out to them yourselves. Nothing touches the heart of a veteran more than a simple "Thank you for your service". And I know each of you has the HEART of gratitude & appreciation to be grateful for their lives. God bless you!

Last edited:
Good Friday morning.

A busy work day is staring at me and I'm pretty much ignoring it, for the moment. My son's new kitchen table arrived yesterday. The driver of the truck left the 4 boxes on the front lawn. Seems his contract was to deliver the boxes to the addressm but he is not allowed to go INSIDE the house. So now the kids have to call to have the people assemble said boxes into the fancy new dining room set they purchased. They purchased from Sears, and apparently it's a two step delivery process.

No real news on my dad. He is still in a prison camp, being held against his will. I think the infections, bladder and bedsores are part of the confusion, but being in another state and NOT being on his medical HIPAA chart, I can't request they check for a UTI. So I have my work cut out for me on Tuesday.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful long weekend.

Will have 2 guests this weekend. Fortunately, the AC guy got the thing working (temporarily); it needs a new A-coil. :( And speaking of guests, (ba-boom... crash) the long-termers should get here around the 5th. It is difficult to entertain them. :)

Noel, I like hearing about Indiana's respectful Memorial Day. Many folks around here also make an effort. I make it a point to wave to, and thank Border Patrol officers.

Even more "due care and caution" when driving this weekend, everybody!

Good afternoon everyone,

It's 90F today and sunny. The breeze doesn't do anything because it's a muggy breeze. Went for a run at the gym earlier, as I have work tonight and can't do Core Synergy.

I think we're also returning the dog we got. She seems to be really stressed and goes to the bathroom in the house, even though we take her out several times a day for a while. My parents want to bring her back, but I'm pretty sad about it. I hope we at least get another one.

Hope all of you have a nice Memorial weekend.

It was a beautiful morning when Goldie and I took our walk around 6:30. It was cloudy by
time we got home. Looks like it's going to rain any minute now.

I went into town and did some shopping. The school librarian gave me a gift card for Lowe's. What
a great gift.I bought more mulch, gravel and some flowers. I was surprised I still have something
on the card. I'll get more flowers later.

DaysD, sorry to hear about your new dog. You have other pets, right? Maybe dog needs
to have a home that doesn't have any.

manda, I'm glad Gena is feeling better.

OC, I hope you were able to get your husband's prescription today.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day.

Last edited:
Good Morning all,

It was raining when I got up this morning and looks like we'll have more showers through the day. It's supposed to be cloudy for the next few days. We're all betting that we have a really hot Summer! I sure hope not. :eek:

I still don't feel great but I think part of that is that I'm still not sleeping well and have had a lot of fibromyalgia and arthritis pain lately. The trouble is the humidity! We've had a lot and it's always worse when it's high.

I can't believe that next month on the 14th Harry will be gone a year. It feels like just a few months.

I wish you all a happy weekend.

Hugs, Joan

Good afternoon everyone. It has already been a long day, and I'm ready for a nap.

My first stop was for fasting blood work at the UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) diagnostic center near my house. It was my first time there since my doctor changed hospital affiliations. WOW, it was easy peasy with NO waiting.

Then it was off to the cemetery in Ohio to spruce up my parents' and grandparents' graves. (I'm getting too old for this!)

On the way back, I stopped at a new grocery store, and found eggs for 59 cents a dozen.

Then closer to home, stopped at my bank. I had to go inside when my transaction was denied at the ATM. Thank goodness the teller knows me so she checked things out. She saw nothing suspicious so ran the withdrawal at her window, and it went through. I had her tag my account to add the need to show driver's license and work ID.

I finally ended up at my usual grocery store for the things that were way too expensive at the Ohio store.

After putting away my groceries, I took my car to be washed and waxed. I got a nice cold Dr. Pepper while waiting for that to be done. Now, I'm too lazy to clean the inside.

Wait a minute......I think I forgot to eat in there. I better get something quick.

Joanie, big hugs for you. This past year hasn't been an easy one for you.

kat - that was very sweet of the librarian. It shows that she really appreciated all of your volunteer work.

Daysd - It sounds like the dog has a problem

A. Guy - enjoy your company

robinsnest - It sounds like your step-mother only wants your help when it is advantageous for her.

Noel - We celebrate our veterans here, too. I was surprised that the scouts already had all of the flags at the veterans' graves at the huge cemetery where my parents are buried.

OC - I hope the doctor orders the glaucoma drops. Missing dosages is definitely not good.

Amanda - It sounds like Gena will have a wonderful time tomorrow. Planting your garden sounds is a lot of work.

Congrats Amanda on passing your test & so glad Gena is doing better!

Big celebration all over town this weekend in honor of Memorial Day! Rick's brother was killed in Vietnam so we always go to that graveyard and participate there. We also will drive up to my parents grave in St Maries. :(

We have been really busy at work. Rainy and really windy here again today!

Have a great day
Shan

DaysD, does the dog go in the house when someone is there with her, or just when left alone? If the latter, you may have to crate her while you're gone. The adoption agency may have some tips. I had to give up on a very nice Dalmation. :( :( :(

Hi all.......just a hectic day here. Lucky I got to do the summary, as there were interruptions galore. Also had to drive hubby into town to pick up his truck which had a gas line leaking, and now replaced. costing ovr $400 which we could not afford.

Although it threatened all day, the rain began, lightly, as I was driving back home. Traffic in unreal, it a zoo in town, just non stop lines of cars, takes 2 lights to get thru the stop lights at the 4 lane intersection. For such a small town (Population, less than 2000) it just blew my mind. I know it is holiday weekend, but we have a rain forecast for the entire weekend. LOL

Have too much bookwork, mail to wade thru, things to file, with all the interruptions, it is not easy. Hubby crabby as all get out, but I know it because of not being well. Just one thing after another, it seems.

Take care, everyone, enjoy the planting, etc. I still have not had the time to even go get any flats, etc. Blessings on you all.........& I always thank a vet, no matter where or when. My family members are in cemeteries down in Illinois, and Milwaukee area, so...too far for me.

Good evening. Got the prescription. Sun came out. Mild temps today, breezy, still stirring up allergy.

Newt, it's good to see you. There is fibromyalgia in my family, and all kinds of arthritis. These things can be so tiring, in addition to all the pain. May God hold you close as the one-year anniversary comes around.

Kat, how nice that you got the gift card for Lowe's!

No nap for me today. Instead, I finally put together my fairy gardens for this year.

The one with the fairy house is planted with oregano and rosemary. The other two have succulents because I'm very forgetful about watering.

The one that looks like a tree stump is a roof top garden. There is a fairy door beneath the staircase. I bought that planter online from LTD Commodities months ago.

Hmmm.......if someone lived closer to me, she could teach me how to grow bonsai trees / plants for my gardens. :love:

2016 Fairy Gardens.jpg oregano and rosemary.jpg roof top garden.jpg fairy garden.jpg

Last edited:
Kat, thanks for checking on me. Bryan is pretty far from me, maybe 3-4 hours. It would be somewhat closer to Dallas-Ft. Worth, but still a good distance. I think most of the bad weather stayed to the south today. Flooding is awful down toward the coast. I heard at least two people have lost their lives.

Squirrel, I'd never heard of fairy gardens. How cute! It looks like a lot of thought and work went into yours. I like the fairy on the swing, but I also like the one by the house and the one with the little bridge. Good idea about the rosemary and oregano. I didn't know they would repel mosquitoes. I like succulents. I hope all of the plants do well for you.

Back