6-13-17 - Donuts and Hot, Hot, Hot!

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. It is going to be another hot and humid day here. YUCK!

When I went to bed, I put a window fan in. I didn't plug it in because having the window open would bring in enough cooler air from the woods. During the night, my bedroom kept getting hotter and hotter. I thought it was just from the pneumonia since I only get a fever in the middle of the night.
This morning, the meteorologist said we'd get pop up severe storms today so I took the fan out of the window. DUH!!! The storm window was still down on the outside! :whack::whack::whack: No wonder my bedroom never cooled off. Well, now the storm windows are up in both bedroom windows, and the screens are down.

Last edited:
Good morning all, boy the weather people have no nice news anywhere in the midwest, I swear. Lots of roads closed here due to storm damage from Sunday. Just a short distance south of me, bridge washed out, roads collapsed. In fact, most of the ways to go south or come here from the south are closed. Some are still without power, transformers have been destroyed, crews working. constantly to get things working again. One road, folks are stranded on the one side (dead end, and a couple resorts there) as the road out washed away. Thus no cars can get out, and of course, not in either. Which then means emergency cannot get in (EMTs, ambulance, fire dept.)

Tis cloudy, maybe partly cloudy, they are talking chance of storms this a.m. and then again tonight, same for tomorrow.

Morning Everyone,

Just like the rest of you, hot & humid here today. The temperature drop from the storm brought us down to the upper 70's, but increased the humidity to nearly 100%. :sick:

Our visit to the library was cut short by the severe thunderstorms that rolled through, with 70 mile per hour wind gusts and the chance of golf ball sized hail. Thankfully the hail didn't hit, but we didn't really want to be on lockdown in the library, so we got our books and hit the road before the storms came in. The library won't let anyone near the windows if it's hailing and the entire entryway is glass, as they have a little tropical plant area in the basement. So no one would have been allowed to leave had it hailed. Gena picked out 4 books and a DVD about verbs from PBS. I got a book for myself too.

Hope you all have a fan or A/C today so no one melts.

RS: yes I remember our farm without A/C in my childhood. Fans only in summer which probably why it is my least favorite season. Being sick with the heat/humidity must be lawful!

Manda: 70mph winds us scary. Glad you & Gena found great books to check out and made it home before the storms hit. Hope you cranked up the dehumidifier with 100% humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all.

Will be heading into the office today. The landlord of the office sent an angry note saying our rent was short. I replied that I had forwarded it on to management, as I did not have the power of the purse. Yeah, I could have paid the money out of my own account and then put it on the expense account, but why?? I've done than when our a/c at the office failed. Back when we had a server room, we had our own a/c unit. It failed so I had to find a guy and pay for it and get it fixed. But not for the rent. That's an ongoing thing.

Going to head out now and join the others driving to work.

It's cloudy and should be in the 80s with high humidity. It's going to in the 90s
where I'm going.

I watered my flowers this morning. They needed a drink. Hose had a lot of kinks
in it. So not an easy job.

rs, sorry you got hot last night when sleeping. I hope tonight will be better.

I hope everyone stays as cool as they can in today's weather.

Robin - I don't blame you one bit for not paying the company's rent. Shame on them.

Kat - twisted hoses are the worst.

Noel- yes the winds were scary. Makes me glad we don't have any trees in our yard, but I do wish we had shade sometimes. No dehumidifier at my house, just window A/C units, which were on all night and will go back on once hubby gets home from work. I dream of one day having central air, but that also requires a new furnace. But that requires new duct work, which requires a hazmat team to remove the old asbestos insulated duct work. All of which requires way more money than we can afford. :rolleyes: I guess that's what I get for buying a house built in 1886. As long as we don't mess with the asbestos (which is easy since it's in the walls) we're safe. But if we try to remove it, then we have problems.

Manda: I love older houses and that was the push to purchase this one. It was several years with an evaporative cooler before we could remove it and have central air installed. We also had asbestos tiles and in our frame/ducts. It was a huge noisy, messy, mess that required hazmat approval when completed for asbestos abatement. It was worth it!!

I keep mine set on 84 [way too hot for me] because electricity is so expensive here and our summers are very long. I go without heat, which I don't mind, at all times possible to lower our yearly expenditure to the electric company. When you have the funds, time and patience it is a worthwhile project. BUT with window A/C units you are saving stress, mess, hazmat costs, and still cool enough in the summer. Newer homes have problems too. :)

Last edited:
The storm moved south yesterday, I guess. My son, lives mid-state, posted this pic of his neigbor's garage........(my son did not have damage)
19030520_10211536208033047_8186486706183666977_n.jpg

It's been a long time since I have been here! I went into the hospital March 22 with major sinus problems. The medicine I had been taking made my heart go into A-Fib. That was cleared up fast but then they had to run multiple tests. Nuclear stress test and I wore a monitor for 48 hours. All that turned out good, so then back to the sinus issues.

After going to an ENT - he ran a cat scan and discovered I had polyps. I had that surgery on May 24th, which was just awful. The right side had numerous polyps and was quite painful. He never told me it was going to take 4 - 6 weeks to heal. I have stents up there that are self dissolving, but it's been a very long & painful ordeal.

Yesterday I got up to go to work, and when I got to work, I had to go the bathroom. I ran in and went potty and blood and pain like you wouldn't believe. We headed over to Rockwood urgent care and do the urine sample. The doctor said you need to head up to the hospital because I'm sure you have a kidney stone. Horrible pain until they gave me some pain killer in the IV! I don't do well with pain killers but the pain was so bad I just relaxed and let it work.

I go in tomorrow to a urologist to see what they are going to do. They informed me at a 3 it could pass, but mine is a 4 so???

Sorry to go on and on. I just thought how much I had missed you all and I really need some extra prayers as I just can't catch a break.

Good afternoon. I went to town (the closer town, only 25 miles) this morning to talk with the auto body guy, the regular mechanic, and to visit the hardware store. Stopped at the small, locally owned grocery store and got barbecue sandwiches to bring home for our lunch. They have a deli and do a lot of business for lunch time. Restaurants are very limited in small towns like this.

Looks like we have the best weather of all of you, for now. Still running in the low 90s* for a high. Humidity is 58% right now. Not extremely high but not considered low for here, as we often run around 20% or lower.

Poirot, there are no words for your weather! Those big trees are beautiful so long as they're standing, but what a mess when they fall!

Squirrel, I feel concerned for you, living without air conditioning in all that humidity and heat, with your breathing problems. Even though we often run above 100* here in Texas, I have never felt as oppressively hot as I did the summers I lived in PA with no a/c. (Obviously, I don't live on the Texas coast). Sometimes when we have exceptionally high humidity, I will turn on the a/c just to lower the humidity in the house, even if the temperature isn't very hot.

I think I've mentioned this before but for anyone who isn't in a position to have whole-house central air installed for any reason, one consideration might be a mini-split for one or more areas. I can't speak for other climates, but when I had the sunroom built across the back of our house a couple of years ago, I had a mini-split installed and I've been so pleased with it, I almost wish I had it in the rest of the house. That's the most comfortable room in my house, summer and winter, and I could sure use the extra space that houses my central air unit. The mini-split doesn't use duct work and it only requires about a 2-inch hole through the wall to run some hoses from a small unit outside (similar to a central air unit on the ground but smaller) to what hangs on the wall inside, which is 13"X39" in our case. That might depend on the size of the room. My room is about 12'X32', mostly glass on three sides.

Shan, you poor dear! I'm so sorry for all your troubles. You must be exhausted and weary of one thing piling on top of another. I pray you will get relief soon and begin an uncomplicated recovery from here on. Thank you for checking in with us!

Kat, I hope you've had a safe and uneventful trip. Enjoy your visit!

Shan: I wondered many times how you were doing. I had hoped you were traveling and very busy. Your medical situation is frustrating and painful I am sure but please stay hopeful. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing so we can support you in every way. Blessings

OC: Here some people keep evaporative coolers and piggyback an A/C unit for hotter weather. Splits are fairly unknown here and would require a "customization" fee. So glad it was affordable and workable for you. Enjoy.

Back