6/17/17 - Donuts & Cinnamon raisin toast

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good sunny morning......woke at 5:30, sun was rising, so bright out. We are heading to longest day of the year, already have over 15 hrs. of daylight. Usually they give the amount on radio. I know up north here, we have more "light" hours than down south of here. I have gone down to Illinois in October, and would be amazed that it would be dark at a time when up here was still light out.

busy day ahead for me, Hope everyone has a lovely, relaxing Saturday. If you have a chore or two, nice and easy. LOL
Now to the coffee. :)

Happy Saturday!

Awoke at 4:20am because the room was filled with bright sunlight as dawn pierced the darkness. It was 80F outside so it actually felt comfortable. No birds or hummies in the air yet. Just quiet peace.

A very busy day scheduled here for indoor activities. Children nowadays are over scheduled in my opinion, so I try to keep a balance. They may not nap, but a little quiet time is good for their souls. And their parents [wink].

Hope your Saturday is all you want it to be and you find a blessing along its path.

Good morning. Thanks for all the encouraging words from late yesterday. Yeah, I was pretty wiped out when I wrote about the ramp episode. I probably need to take a more disciplined approach to our situation. Sorting out emotions and focusing on hard realities is a challenge as life changes and roles get rearranged. But I did finally get a pretty good night's sleep last night so it's a new day. I need to get some neglected things done in the house. Going to have to try to work on one thing at a time instead of wandering around aimlessly.

Poirot and Noel, you both seem to have daylight earlier than I do. At 5:30 there is only a faint hint of light here.

Wishing each of you whatever kind of day suits you best!

Good morning everyone. Another hot and very humid day here.

My neighbor has been out of work since last year, and his unemployment ran out long ago. I asked him last fall and again this spring to clean the gutters for me. He did it for years, and of course I pay him to do it. Well, he is just now getting around to it on one if the nastiest days. He must need the money for something.

Poirot and OC, I worry about both of you and your families having an emergency and being so far from town. I may live "in the woods", but emergency responders are 2 to 3 minutes away at the most. The fire department is 1 minute from my house.

Noel, I can't imagine what your heat feels like. Our news here is saying that the airports there have to shut down because the heat makes the runways unsafe.

I made the mistake of visiting my brother in Palm Springs in August one year.....never again!

Poirot, with the tilt of the earth and you being much farther north, you have longer days in summer and fall. You also get shorter ones than me in winter and spring.

Yep.... that is true. Short daytime indeed up here during winter.

A friend of mine, married a guy from Alaska, and wherever it was they lived, they had to fly in. LOL. Small planes, etc. Anyway, where she was, 24 hrs daylight in summer, and 24 hrs. DARK in winter.

Laughed when she told her tale of being in mid-30s, not married, no prospects, lived in Chicago. Flew out to Spokane to visit her best friend, met this Alaska guy, never went home. LOL. Yep, married the guy, and set out on the adventure of her life. She was delighted with the cabin in the middle of nowhere, and how one had to get there.....saw this big bear outside and rushed out with her camera to get a picture. Her hubby is dashing after her with his rifle or shotgun...Was a grizzly! One doesn't mess with them, not even to take a photo. He is yelling at her to get back inside, while aiming the gun, fortunately, she listened to him.......LOL

OC: we have pre-dawn light a little after 4am and sunrise follies in less than 30 minutes. I like total darkness when sleeping so it wakes me up. So delighted to read you had a good night's sleep! Hope you reach your goals today.

RS: ahh, how thoughtful of you to think if your neighbor for that job. Yes it is unbearable heat breaking records and closing some facilities. The A/C blows warm air almost 24/7. I giggled when I read your comment about visiting your brother in Palm Springs because many of my relatives only visited us once.

Poirot: hope your busy day is progressing nicely. Your friend's Alaska adventure would make a great comedic romance movie on Hallmark. I know I would watch it with joy.

Another cool morning for the walk. Weather said in the 70s and high humidity. It was
also windy so it was nice. Some rain came. It's cloudy now and in the low 80s. It will
get close to 90. It's supposed to rain most of tomorrow. I guess that's why neighbors
mowed today. I'll be waiting until later in the week.

OC, I'm glad you slept well last night.

I hope everyone stays cool and safe in the heat today.

Good Morning everyone and I hope you all have a great day in spite of the rain. We are going to see some sunshine today. I am happy because everything has to dry out soon or the moss will never dry out this year!!

Happy Father's Day to all.

Hugs,
Joan

Heya Everybody! :) I hope that everyone is having a fantastic day! Today has been an okay day but I have been battling yet another migraine today. But I have been managing it so that is keeping me in positive spirits. I woke up pretty early and went out to go grocery shopping. I only needed a few things so I did not take any time at all.

After coming home, it was time to go to the flower nurseries to look at some shrubs that could be planted in the front yard. When I got there, the sky was so dark like a thunderstorm was coming in and it was starting to lightly sprinkle. I did not see any shrub that looked in good shape to bring home and did not want to look too carefully as a storm was approaching so I ended up just going home. I ended up relaxing for the rest of the morning.

The weather right now is ick. It's thundering lightly and raining. It's been warm, though. Right now it is 81 F. Now that is a temperature I love.

Wishing all of you a super Saturday! :) Sending each one of you so much happiness.

Well, here are some fun, but dumb, facts. Well, maybe not so dumb. In Readers Digest, they did a "thing", about what various items are called in various areas of the country. For instance, Throughout most of the U.S. they are called tennis shoes, except in New England...they are sneakers.

And then the word caramel.....which in most of the U.S. has just two syllables, but in the south and east coast.the word has 3 syllables. LOL

they are fireflies western part of U.S., lightning bugs to the east

It's a garage sale 2/3 of the U.S. midwest to west coast, yard sale for the rest, except small area out east (New Jersey,RI,tiny bit of NY where it is a tag sale

Garbage can in the northwest, trash can in rest of country

Out west & New England it is soda, midwest it is pop, south it is coke,

Tis a semi in 3/4 of the country, but down south it is an 18 wheeler, and up in New England, a tractor-trailer.

And then my fav.....out west....it is a drinking fountain. And in the rest of the country it is a water fountain, except for a small area around Lake Michigan in Wisconsin, up thru Canada and over to Maine...where it is called a Bubbler!

When I was a kid, and visited relatives in Milwaukee, it was puzzling to hear them all say bubbler. LOL. Luv it.

O.K. hope you got to smile, and probably go "huh", I don't say that. LOL

McSweetie: happy you are able to manage your migraine and not let it inhibit your day. Wishing you a nice evening relaxing in the temperature you love.

Poirot: I have read lists like that but use multiple words for those items. With family spread across every region I think I have heard them all. In Indy we used both fireflies and lightning bugs.:)

Good evening all,

VERY humid today! It's 80F outside, and we had a thunderstorm. I went this morning to get a shave and haircut before my trip on Tuesday, knowing that it'll be super hot and sticky down south, and easier to swim with short hair. Afterwards, ate lunch and then went to the gym for a run. I increased my speed and running distance today, tough, but I did it. Then I showered, and decided to walk Sally, only to start getting hot again because of how humid it was! Thank goodness I made it home before the downpour that followed.

Gonna do a lot of the science work tonight, so I don't have to worry about it over my vacation (and because tomorrow I can't, due to work). Instead of celebrating Father's Day tomorrow, we'll probably do it on Monday. My dad is away at school for long hours this weekend for his second Ph.D (which takes up so much time. I wish he would've waited a few years to do it!), and because I work another 8-hour at the co-op. Joy. I'm thinking of bringing him back some kind of special Southern whiskey as a gift from Destin. Do any of you Southerners have any recommendations? He loves it!

Poirot, I just love seeing those kinds of lists. I always refer to them as fireflies, but my mom calls them lightning bugs. Her family is from the South, so maybe it came from them. Interesting that the West Coast has a different name for them.I can't recall ever seeing any out West, because at night in summer it's usually cool (and there's not much humidity out West either). I know in Hawaii, flip-flops are called "slippers", because you just slip them on. My family still calls them that, or just "sandals".

Sweetie, glad you got nice warm weather! Let's hope it sticks around.

Have a nice day, all.

Days: kudos on reaching your track goal and studies. Impressed your father is getting his second Ph.D. Your trip is just a couple days away now and you sound organized and enthused. Enjoy your night.

RS: you are smart to visit in November.

Good evening all.

Due to our insanely warm day, I left early as I knew we'd be making several stops to get today's chores done. So from 9-4 today I drove all over Surprise getting things for stepmom. Then unloaded car, put things together, loaded car with things that she doesn't have space for, and drove home. She is so much happier at this new place that it makes this all a little easier.

DaysD - the only place I ever saw fireflies before I spent time in the south for work was at Disneyland at the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Or the Blue Bayou Restaurant.

Hope everyone has a nice evening. I'm going to go float in the pool.

Back