6-21-17 - Donuts and Summer Solstice

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
Good morning and welcome to the longest day of the year! You people in the awful heat out west are probably not thinking a long day is so welcome. It's going to be 94* here today. Seems mild by comparison.

I'm going to get back in bed for a little bit. Migraine since yesterday noon. Finally gave up sleeping at 4:00 this morning.

Woke up to fog, fog, dense fog ...5:30 a.m. It burned off nicely by 7:30 & sun is shining. Yesterday the radio noted that we will be having 7 hours and some minutes MORE daylight than we will be having in December. LOLOL Tho slowly it happens, we now go to the other side of the coin, and lose a tiny bit of daylight every day. But it sure is light late up here. :)

Dream weather is forecast for us, today. Clear, with a 78* high. :) Have tentative plans to consider this Buffet Wednesday; it's been 3 or 4 weeks. Not wanting to regain any weight lost during the cold/flu, I have resolved to exercise restraint!

OC, I hope you get some much-needed rest, and that your migraine departs, forthwith!

All of you Spectators take care, now!

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining here, and temps are supposed to get back into the high 80s today.

15 hours and 8 minutes of daylight here today.

I need to go grocery shopping. Then I have my "old people driving class" later. It is a state law in Pennsylvania that anyone over age 55 who takes an approved classroom driving class once every 3 years must receive 5% off the cost of their yearly car insurance . I' m lucky because my insurer gives me an extra 10% off. It is well worth 4 hours of my time.

OC - I hope your migraine goes away quickly.

Poirot - Your fog always sounds like something out if a Sherlock Holmes book.

A. Guy - I'm glad you're feeling well enough to even think about going to the buffet.

Last edited:
Well, I wish I could rejoice that it is the first day of summer and longest day of the year. Our low at 6am was 93 on one local station. They predicted 125F today at that rate. And I nearly fainted! Yesterday it did reach 119F many places in town and a couple were 120F. Whatever the official total: lowest temp 110F. :rolleyes:

A little child drowned in town yesterday, but not in a pool. The child was brought here for resuscitation which was not possible. You can feel the sadness wash over everyone in the hospital as the word spreads. Just one reason I do not have a pool here because water is so tempting in this heat.

Poirot: enjoy all your sunshine!

OC: hope you nap well and your migraine suddenly leaves without return

AGuy: enjoy your luncheon at the buffet

RS: that is a great deal on insurance for older folks.

Make it the best Wednesday possible everyone!

Good morning all you lovely people!:hug:
And Happy Solstice to you all as well.
I know its been a long long time hasn't it? Hope you all are keeping perky.
I haven't been able to watch much of the show for a very long time. But a gather nothing much changes...just a bunch of the same characters swappin' spit and making mayhem. :rotfl:

Happy Solstice. 9 years ago I was in Yelapa, Mexico for first born son's wedding. It was hot and humid, and I had crabs in my room, as in the type you could eat. The room was on the beach and they would come in and settle under the furniture. Rustic and a 45 minute taxi ride to get there. Aahh, fun memories.

Long day today.

Happy Wednesday.

Well we were supposed to go do the Southern Dozen down in Tennessee this weekend but we've cancelled since we'll be hitting all the rain and mayhem spewed up from the gulf coast from that dang hurricane.

C'est la vie.

I'll get some wind therapy before I have to get back to school. That's a promise.

By the way, I can't find my ol' corner. Did y'all finally clean the place up and use up my stash?

We are having perfect weather here - 78 - but windy again today. The wind is what really plays havoc with my sinuses. It's been almost a month since my surgery and I'm just now getting some relief from the pressure. We will have 16 hours and 1 minute of day light today! I love it!

OC - hopefully that darn migraine is on its way out!

Poirot - fog would be weird this time of year!

RS - thankfully it has stopped raining for you!

Noel - so sad for that small innocent child. Stay as cool as possible. Our weather people are really talking about Phoenix and how all the planes have been grounded.

Rew is back! Missed you

It's going to be another warm day here. Goldie slept outside last night.
She's having stomach problems. I hope she feels better soon.

Great seeing you post, Rew. We've missed you.

OC, I hope you get plenty of rest and feel better.

Noel and robin, be safe in the hot weather.

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

Noel, reading about the Phoenix heat makes me wonder why the area is so populated. It's not too hard to foresee a time when folks will be discouraged from moving to certain areas. This is already happening with beachfront property in hurricane-prone places, and to some extent with flood plains. One could make a case that migration to places that lack sufficient fresh water should have been dealt with years ago.

I need that soap-box smiley! :)

I'm not sure if her food or what is making her feel bad. She's inside all day except for our
morning walk. I'm not going to give her too much food today and see if that helps. Then I'll
give her rice since that's suggested for the problem she has. Today I'm going to movie
and she will be outside while I'm gone.

Afternoon Everyone,

Late workday start for me, as I had to take Gena to the dentist this morning. They finally managed to get proper x-rays, and of course found 2 cavities. She has such a hard time at the dentist that the fillings will require her to be sedated. I treated her to Noodles & Company for lunch, for being brave and actually getting the x-rays. First time and she's been going to the dentist for 6 years.

REW!!!! :hug: Welcome back!!

Noel - oh, I'm weeping inside thinking of that poor baby and the parents. :cry::cry:

Kat - sorry Goldie's not feeling well.

OC - hope your migraine passes soon.

Poirot - enjoy the sunshine.

Shan - glad you're starting to feel better

RS - I'd take the driving class too to save on my insurance.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Back