6/23/17 - Donuts & Sun

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning......are all of you who already have been here that shy you hesitate to jump in? One can tell tis the lazy days of summer all right. LOL. Not for me......so enjoy your last day of the week, know everyone looks forward to the weekend. Still have not gotten any plants yet. Weather has been so iffy, however, it no longer is below freezing at night, so maybe I will get some. Heck, growing season is so short here, but I think the greenhouses will be making half price soon. Hahahah.

Morning Everyone,

Sorry Poirot, I would have started, but right after I came to the site I had to run down to the health clinic in the office to have this rash that's on my arms checked out. The nurse practitioner thinks I have eczema, so I get to double up on my loratadine and use a steroid cream to treat it. Yippee Skippy.

Rained almost all day yesterday. Today it's supposed to get up to 78* and be nice and sauna like, but it supposed to cool down and . . . rain more this weekend. :rolleyes:

The girls did a fabulous job on their presentation last night and the snacks were a hit with everyone. One more month and they will be Brownies. So proud of them all.

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Good morning. I couldn't get to sleep last night. I could tell it was one of those nights that I would be awake until 5 or 6 am, so finally got up and took some Benadryl and went to sleep after 3. Woke up at 6, ugh! Went back to sleep until 8 or 9. I'm pretty wiped out this morning.

We're supposed to reach 100* today, with a chance of thunderstorms after 4:00. Not a dry heat this time.

I liked hearing how much daylight people are having. I never realized how much more you get up north this time of year. Lil0, light at 4 and not dark until after 10?? That really surprised me!

Manda, Gena and her friends must be so excited to be moving into Brownies! I love hearing about all their doings. Sorry about your eczema. I hope the creme cures it.

I've been thinking about Goldie this morning, Kat. I hope she's going to be okay.

Also wondering about Degrassi, down there on the coast. And hoping Kt didn't get another round.

Yesterday I was involved with helping the husband get into his wheelchair so I could clean behind his recliner, when I heard a loud knocking at the back door. The sunroom has French doors with glass and it's a lot easier to get in and out of there than at my front door, so most people who come here go to the back. I figured it was probably my niece. So I stopped what I was doing and went to see who it was. What did I find but a roadrunner glaring in through the glass at me! I got a good laugh and he ran away. It brings to memory the image of the dust being stirred up by the roadrunner of cartoon fame.

Happy Friday everyone!

This summer weather seems to be the most common topic on Donuts. Mine is predictable, except the humidity/dewpoint is rising which makes the 115F predicted today more miserable. What else is new?! So relieved we have off-peak pricing this weekend so I can set the thermometer under 83F. :clap:

Poirot: about the time your plants begin to bloom it sounds like you'll be having your first frost? I admire your dogged determination.:)

Manda: Bravo to Gena and the scouts!!:clap: Brownies! Will there be a promotion ceremony? My mom had psorisis/eczema so I feel for you with the steriods/creams. Hopefully it will be under control soon.

Kat: Thinking of Goldie and hoping you have very good news this morning and are bringing her home!:)

KT: Thinking of you and the stormy skies. Hoping you & Remmy are safe and dry.:)

OC: I giggled at your roadrunner episode. I loved those cartoons and it does sound exactly like one. Just glad it wasn't something larger like a bear. :clap:

JS: soggy and heat are no fun at all. Sure hope your weekend weather will be drier.:)

Rew: ship that rain down here to Phoenix as we could desperately use it. Oh, how I miss Indy!:)

OC - funny that a bird was knocking on your door.

JS - ugh, that sounds like miserable weather

Rew - sorry about all your rain. My nephew who lives in Michigan posted a picture to his Facebook wall of the 5 inches of water in his apartment from all the rain.

Noel - we're planning a Bridging Ceremony in the cafe at my office. We have an outdoor bridge that goes over a little stream, or if the weather is bad, we have an indoor bridge in our atrium. Then we'll have cake and punch and present each girl with their new Brownie vest. My company has an amazing benefit where they will donate money to organizations we volunteer for, so my volunteer time earned money for Girl Scouts. The Girl Scouts financial team gave half the money back to our troop, so essentially my company is buying all the uniforms for the girls. :)

I called the vet this morning and Goldie still passing some blood and won't eat. She doesn't
eat well when she's not at home. I'll have to call again at 5 to see how she's doing. I hope I
can bring her home today.

A cloudy day here with highs in the 80s. It's supposed to rain today, but so far nothing. Since I
didn't have my walking buddy this morning, I went out at 7 and used my trimmer.

OC, interesting the road runner knocked on your door. He probably saw his reflection and
thought he saw another bird. I hope you sleep better tonight.

manda, I hope you feel better soon and I'm glad the Girl Scout meeting went well. I wish I could
be there to see the girls become Brownies. I'm glad your company is helping you out with the vests.

Rew, I'm sorry your trip was cancelled. I hope you can take another trip soon.

I hope everyone has the afternoon possible and sleep well tonight.

Kat: hoping for better news about Goldie when you call at 5pm. Your pup misses you so not surprising if she doesn't eat sleep as much as usual. My pets do the same. Keep us updated please.

Hi everyone. We're drenched here, and the rain just won't stop. It is the rain from Poirot and Amanda meeting up with the rain from Cindy coming up from the south. My tv reception is very bad, and keeps going out. Plus the electricity has gone off for a bit. I'm really tired of this.

Poirot - You have such a short growing season, that I wouldn't bother buying plants. I only bought 2 hanging baskets of petunias at Aldi this year since they were $5.99 for the same size basket that WalMart was charging $18.00 for.

Amanda - I hope that rash clears up for you. You're lucky to have a health clinic at work. How fun for the girls to go across a real bridge! We did that when we went from Brownies to Girl Scouts. There weren't Daisy Scouts back then.

JS - keep dry

OC - Thank you, I had a good laugh at that roadrunner. He must've been after his reflection.

Rew - you may need a boat if that lake behind your house rises too much.

Noel - I can't imagine living in the sustained heat that you're getting.

kat - Sending prayers up for Goldie. My nephew's cat has the same symptoms, and went to the vet yesterday morning. The vet sent the cat to the animal ER for tests and IVs. They said Fifi's (yes, a male cat named Fifi, since he was named before my niece-in-law knew the sex years ago), was in kidney failure along with some other organ problems. They put him on thyroid meds for now, and are watching him.

Another perfect day, 80 and no wind! I actually worked in my garden last night and took a 2 mile walk. It feels so good to be well enough to do those things again. Of course I was exhausted, but it was a good tired.

Manda - I bet the girls are going to be so excited with your plans for the Brownie ceremony. How fun! I hope your rash gets better soon.

JS - I don't handle the humidity too well. Yuck

OC - so sorry you didn't sleep well! That makes for a long day. Sounds like the roadrunner just wanted a friend.

Noel - are you serious when you said you have your AC on 83? That's awful.

Kat - so hope Goldie gets to come home this evening.

Shan

Shan: how wonderful to read you are feeling better enough to garden and walk! Yes!:)

Yes we are on an energy saving weekday plan with our provider. For 4 afternoon peak hours we must use less energy to keep our bill less, be energy efficient and continue to qualify for participation in the plan. They set parameters and install a meter reader to verify thermostat settings and kilowatt useage. The fee for those 4 on peak hours is almost $7 more per kilowatt. At 83 yesterday we used 39 kilowatts for those 4 hours. Our bills used to be $500-600 a month but now reduced to under $395. So I sweat day and night and don't sleep well at night with my hot flashes too. Just a fact of life in the desert.:rolleyes:

rs, I hope you won't get flooding rain like last week. Sorry to hear about Fifi. I hope things
go well.

Noel, I hope you sleep better with the cooler temps in your house. When I'm too hot,
I don't wear much at bedtime.

Went to the basement, and thought I better run the old pump even though there was only 2 inches of water in the old coal cellar. I was distracted, and plugged in the new pump instead......IT WORKED !!!! Whew...I guess it just couldn't handle running constantly for a few days, and needed a long cool down period. Just to be safe, I unplugged it after it had pumped all of the water out.

Goldie is home. She has four kind of pills and special dog food to eat. She has to wear
a cone tonight because she still has something in her leg in case she needs an IV
again. I'm supposed to take her back Sat around 8. She may not get there that early
since it's shopping day. I'll get shopping done, Come home and take her. Then I'll
go to library after her visit.

rs, I'm glad the pumped worked.

Back