6-24-2016 - Donuts & Fans

Noel

Reaction score
Sunlight pierced our drapes at 4:15AM bringing with it 90F heat. The hummingbirds were already buzzing around the feeders and the cactus wrens were hopping on the ground chasing bugs. From the window it looked serene and inviting. Once outside I wished for a giant fan!

Hope your Friday is a good entrance to the weekend. We are driving up north this weekend, if the forest fires permit, for some recreation. Take care!

Good Morning,

Noel - I hope you have a fun and peaceful weekend safely away from the fires.

Another successful troop meeting in the park last night. Although the weaving was a bit challenging for the girls, I let them all take their chosen yarn home so they could finish the weaving at home and we'll tie off the ends next time. The girls loved that a Christian Motorcycle group was having a prayer meeting in the park complete with a guitar player. They thought the addition of music was wonderful. :)

We woke up to having out sewer line backed up again. And unfortunately the cable on our roto-rooter machine is broken so we had the fun of calling someone to come in and clear the line for us. There's $155 down the drain. Also not super thrilled about having to leave the back door unlocked for the service guy. I just hope nothing is missing when we get home, as neither one of us was able to stay home today to deal with it.

Have a wonderful Friday everyone.

Good morning.....gonna have beautiful day today, almost 80, but, tomorrow afternoon another jim dandy storm is coming in. You know the kind.....they spout strong winds, tornado warnings, etc. Torrential downpours accompany it all, Warnings, TV interruptions, etc.

My daughter in Houston has been so weary of the floods etc. there, she was talking of moving to another state......told her that usually it is exchanging one set of problems for another. The entire country has been having odd weather, patterns they never had before.

Glad the girls had so much fun.....and even had music. A Christian motorcycle group! Reminds me of my visit to Venice Beach, walking over a sand dune, to find some group doing baptisms in the ocean. All of a sudden someone was beside me asking if I would like to participate, be baptized as well. No, thank you. Already am. went back to the boardwalk. Ha.

Noel, I know you will be in heaven "up north" there in the cooler weather. Have a nice relaxing time away.

Robin, I think your brother went so out of his way for this visit, Stepmom was very rude. But do hope you will be having a good time during his visit. RS, you are a saint to work during your vacation.

Hey all, TGIF...have a good day.

Morning all. Exhausting day yesterday. Did get to spend an hour with my brother trying to figure out what our next steps are. Grim and grimmer appear to be what is available to us. He leaves next week for Australia. So while he is more easily reached, less censorship, he's not appreciably closer.

I have a stack of papers he was unable to finish going through of life insurance form. We have no idea how many are still active. And apparently if you don't contact the company, they won't contact you to tell you they have a policy on the person. They will just keep the money. Yippee.

Remember my trip to PA this coming July? Well changes have been made. And now I'm not going to Philly or Newark, but Allentown!!! We are at $400 and counting on just ticket changes alone. And I'm going to be an assistant presenter on a product I'm not all that familiar with, only having seen it twice. So no stress there. Right??

Noel, I would love to run away to the cooler mountains. I've got a couple of weeks before I can do that. Not that I'm counting or anything, but in almost one month I'll awake in the cabin at Mt. Lassen National Park. No internet, no cell signal, just peaceful mountain air and critters.

Manda - sorry to hear about the sewer issue. But the motorcycle group sounded like a fun group to listen to.

Happy Friday to all.

Robin.....So you have no idea as to location of policies? What a mess. Most states have a fund for unclaimed bank accounts, uncashed checks, etc. and publish the names maybe once a year. (for banks, no activity for 5 years) I once had my name in the paper, probably got half dozen calls from friends. And it was about $40, I knew about the account at the bank where my mortgage had been (out of town here) and they had my address, was still here, never sent any notice.

I know policies can lapse for non-payment of premiums, but there still could be money there, and if a paid up one, then no notices would comes, except for dividend notices. Sorry you have to do all this, it is very hard, I know. Bless your heart.

After my mom died we thought we had cleaned out her accounts. We had left money in them to pay taxes etc. Then many years later my daughter in law saw a story about unclaimed monies. She didn't have any but my mom left money, and all I needed to do was fill out this form, get it notarized, along with a death certificate and proof of my relationship to my mom. My siblings had to do this, too.

I filled out the forms, they filled out the forms and sent them to the state, only to be told that we had used an old form and needed to do it all again with the new form. It wasn't on the webpage for downloading and since my brother and I no longer lived in the state, in addition to the new form, we had to fill out these out of state forms. And we had to get them notarized.

All of this for $6000, and we had a time limit to submit the new paper work. We gave up. I spent a couple of days arguing with them about how it wasn't our fault they didn't have the correct form online. We had met their stupid identification rules. But sadly the rules are the rules and god forbid those folks on the phone actually realize how stupid they sound.

We also had a safe deposit key and as such a safe deposit box. But we knew about that. So we knew that was empty as I was on the account and went in and removed everything from the box. The bank no longer exists physically and financially. So I have no idea where the box is but I do know where the key is.

The newest found policy is active!!! But because I'm not my dad, I can't find out how much the policy is worth. I did change the address to the new location and explained that he was no longer mentally capable of maintain things. They don't care if I pay the policy, but they can't tell me how much. With hospital bills mounting, this is getting to be fairly important that we have something to hold the wolves from the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
A cloudy day today. The rain for this afternoon has been cancelled :( I trimmed my yard
this morning and put the final bag of gravel along the flowerbed. I'll try to get out and work
in my
front bed later today. It should be cloudy and in the 80s

robin, sorry for all your problems. I'll keep you and your family in your prayers

manda, I'm glad you had a good Girl Scout with live entertainment

Noel, have a good weekend. Sounds lovely.

Poirot, please send the rain my way. There was thunder and lightening just around 10
last night. No rain.

I hope everyone has a good afternoon and evening.

Back