7/15/17 - Donuts and Being Cranky

Discussion in 'Donuts & ???' started by Just Samantha, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good morning everyone!

Boy, people sure do get cranky without coffee. My mum had to fast before blood work this morning, so she couldn't have her 2-3 cups of coffee before 7:00 am. Man alive. She was so miserable. I was expecting her to turn into She Hulk at any minute. Even the birds chirping outside set her off. :eek:

She took a big travel cup of coffee with her to drink after they drew the blood. It was gone before she reached the front door of the hospital on her way out.

I'm not a coffee drinker, nor do I drink caffeine, so I don't get that whole "don't talk to me before my coffee" thing.

I hope everybody has a better morning that mum did!

Lil0, EricMSweetie, Daysdegrassi and 4 others appreciate this.
  2. the look of love

the look of love
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    I know how your mom feels, I am a bear till I have my coffee.

Today is supposed to be the nicest day for a week, mid 80's and 74% humidity.

Carl and I went out last night to our favorite place to eat. He had rib eye steak and I had country fried steak. Our oldest grandson came and met up with us too. Kevin is working on a lawn care crew, just started Tuesday and he says he is really sore. He is working to get his first car and school supplies, so he is determined to hang in there. We are really proud of him. He is 16 and a hard worker.

My washer just shut off so I got to hang clothes out (I try not to use dryer when it is so hot)

Hope every one has a good day.

EricMSweetie, Daysdegrassi, Noel and 4 others appreciate this.
  3. redsquirrel

redsquirrel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning everyone. It is a nice 70° here, and I'm enjoying sitting on my porch.

JS - I take my tea with me when I go for fasting blood work, bUT I leave it in the car. I go to a local UPMC women's center so I only have about 30 steps out to my car. My tea is gone before I leave the parking lot.

the look of love - Good for your grandson! You must be very proud of him for setting goals and doing the hard work to achieve them.

Daysdegrassi, Noel, katmouse and 2 others appreciate this.
  4. Poirot

Poirot
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good morning......and hurray to the teen grandson who actually got himself a summer job. Good for him.

Our newspaper ran the 2nd article about the difficulty in getting help in the state, and yep, just what RS mentioned the other day. Young people are "afraid of losing" their welfare, college grants, free rides. Housing help, etc. Plus many are given stuff by parents...the smart phones, internet, cars, insurance, etc. So why work?

Daysdegrassi, Noel, katmouse and 3 others appreciate this.
  5. ktspirit

ktspirit
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Poirot, can I get on the freebie wagon? LOL

Daysdegrassi, Noel, katmouse and 2 others appreciate this.
  6. A. Guy

A. Guy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Afternoon, all! Got through Friday's procedure; it started an hour before schedule, 3:30. The device manufacturer's tech was there, and took photos. :eek: The situation was a first for the hospital personnel. A new implant was used, which was a bit of a surprise. I was in a for-real OR, this time! Was supposed to have only "relax" meds, but I have no memory of much of the procedure; I hope they didn't use Halo-2! :eek:

And, after considerable contention, I won out, and the old implant went home with me. Am threatening to frame it, and hang it on the wall. :) Back home at 6:00, and napped till 8:00 Felt well enough to have Johnsonville brats slow-cookered with sauerkraut/potatoes for supper. :eek: Am a little sore, but no pain meds, yet. I get out of some work because I am barred from heavy lifting. :)

It was hard to hear about Noel's fall; I hope that she is OK. I wish all of you a relaxing Saturday!

ktspirit, Daysdegrassi, Old Cowgirl and 2 others appreciate this.
  7. katmouse

katmouse
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    A summer day here again. Rain in forecast never happened. I went out last night
    and watered my front bed. I'll try to do again on Monday. No work outside for
    me today. So, I swept some in my garage. I'll need some help to
    get it organized.
    If someone has some vacation time left, please come by to help.

A Guy, I'm glad your procedure went well. I hope you won't have to do it again.

JS, I hope your mom's blood work is fine.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their Sat.

ktspirit, A. Guy, Daysdegrassi and 2 others appreciate this.
  8. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Hello

JS: glad you were saved from the wrath of She-Hulk. Prefer her in comics but not personal appearance. (Wink). Hope your afternoon is more relaxing.

Look: kudos to your grandson for iniative, and long range planning. And love the smell and crispness of clothes dried on an outdoor line.

RS: enjoy a lazy afternoon relaxing and enjoying being on the porch. One of my favorite past times in Indy. Hope you have a good book to read and neighbors to chat with today.

Poirot: sad but true reflection of some young people. What does their future hold when life changes and the gravy train is empty. Life is hard enough with goals and personal achievement. This behavior makes a person a victim who never realized their own potential.

KT: you would get bored with just a steady stream of gravy. You are much too intelligent, curious and adventurous spirit to settle for such a small life. You can't fool me (wink).

AGuy: kudos on your medical experience going so well. An interesting experience complete with souvenir. And you were the teacher to the hospital personnel learning a new procedure. Enjoy your well deserved time to heal and relax. Oh, and thanks for thinking if me.

Kat: vacation days at your place sounds beautiful. Just enjoying your garden and green yard would be a treat. Hope your evening is a good one.

Time for family. Have a great night everyone.

ktspirit, A. Guy, katmouse and 1 other person appreciate this.
  9. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm really surprised they gave in and allowed you to have it. These days, anything taken out of a body is considered a bio-hazard. I kept my wisdom teeth, but I know now, dentists aren't allowed to give them to patients.
    My mum and I were just having a discussion about this today. Several of my young cousins are on the government gravy train, or the good-graces of wealthy grandparents. We wonder what'll happen when the grandparents are no longer around and the gravy train dries up.

I have a friend (in her 30's) who is all in love with a new beau (in his 40's). Seems like a nice enough guy and all. They're going to move in together shortly. He's moving in the new apartment first and she'll follow along about 6 months later. He can't afford it all on his own, so his father is paying her half of the rent for those 6 months. Nice of him to do, but to me, it raises a red flag that this man in his 40's can't afford to rent an apartment on his own.

She's talking marriage and babies. I think she's making a big mistake and hope she plans on working full time. She'll never be able to be a stay-at-home mom with him as a provider.

ktspirit, A. Guy, Noel and 3 others appreciate this.
  10. Old Cowgirl

Old Cowgirl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good afternoon. My trip to the city yesterday was completely futile. Two reasons for going to the hearing aid place: get the streamer device for husband's tv to his hearing aids fixed, and get one of his ears cleaned out, since he hasn't been able to hear anything out of it for a couple of weeks. Turned out the wax in the ear was hard packed and they can't handle that. (They only use a suction device, can't wash out wax). They said for me to put in drops for a few days and come back. Um, no. They have no idea how hard it was for me to get there yesterday!

I'll take him to a closer town to our primary doctor and get the ear washed out. They fiddled around with the streamer device and said they got it streaming to their tv so it should work fine. We got home, I plugged it in, and it was exactly the way it was before I went! I wanted to cry but I was too tired to muster up the emotion required for it.

Noel and A. Guy, you've both been in my thoughts and prayers today. I hope you have no further complications.

I knew a man who had his gallstones in a jar. Whatever makes anybody happy, I guess. I don't want to see or hear details about any junk going on inside my body--or anybody else's, for that matter.

I was listening to a radio talk show in the car recently. The subject was health care, welfare, etc. A man called in and was telling how he has a neighbor who has nine kids. He and the mother of the children have been living together all these years but have never married because she gets tons of welfare money and other goodies, which would stop if she married the father of the kids. Meanwhile, he has a job making $24 an hour so they are really living well. Another man called in about some man he knows who has eleven kids by four women. He isn't working but it seems they are all living quite well. I'm sure there are countless thousands of such households out there.

J.S., it always makes me feel ill when I see young women entering into marriages that are obviously (by an objective eye) doomed from the beginning. I made some really stupid choices myself when I was young so it pains me to see others doing it.

Kat, it's hard to believe you have to water your flowers, after all the rain you've had! But things do dry out in a hurry during hot weather. We've had some days of real summer heat this week and I noticed today that the grass is already turning.

The look of love, those steaks sure do sound good! And good for your grandson and his job!

Squirrel, your morning sounded so pleasant. I wish I could have been there to enjoy it with you.

Have a good evening, all of you!

ktspirit, A. Guy, Just Samantha and 3 others appreciate this.
  11. Daysdegrassi

Daysdegrassi
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good afternoon everyone,

It's in the upper 80sF here and humid after yesterday's storm. I swam a few laps earlier, and finished the book I was reading after while drying off. Although Sally was outside with me, I'll probably take her and my mom on a long walk later this evening when it cools down a bit and some of the mosquitoes go away. Yesterday I went to the ab workout class, but was the only person there. The instructor just gave me a free personal training session--he's really enthusiastic about fitness--and scheduled another one with me for tomorrow morning.

Even though I told him I'd been going to this gym for 2 years now and already had my free sessions then, he still gave it to me, which was nice and I really appreciate it. It's not technically stealing, since when my dad joined, he never did his sessions, so I feel better about them being used, I guess. I'm debating whether or not to spend the money on a few more with him, as my normal personal trainer is bad about texting back/maintaining a regular schedule, and I think he's been busy with traveling and such.

My friend Maci, who I stayed with in New Orleans this January and last month before our Destin trip, is contemplating a move to the mountains of North Carolina or Tennessee (where my other friend from there, Andrew, is moving next week for a job in Nashville). She's been getting tired of the dating scene in the Big Easy and of the crime, and also has bad luck with an abusive ex who continues to pester her and make her life hell (basically, it's like watching a very toned down but still serious version of EJ & Sami).

And with problems from old partners with her job, she's finally decided to probably move early next year. Sad and frustrating to hear what this loser has been doing, but I'm also glad she seems to want a fresh start--I've often wondered what's keeping her in New Orleans now that she's graduated.

JS, I normally don't drink caffeine either, so I don't get that either. But the story about your mom sounds kind of funny, especially her getting mad about the birds chirping outside:rotfl:

Noel, I hope you're feeling a bit better today. How long is the recovery process supposed to be?
    A.Guy, my thoughts are also with you for a speedy recovery.

Hoping all of you have a nice Saturday night.

ktspirit, A. Guy, Old Cowgirl and 3 others appreciate this.
  12. katmouse

katmouse
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    OC, it's probably been at least a week since it's rained here. You can tell by how slow the
    grass is growing now. I'm sorry your trip to town wasn't a good one.

Daysdegrassi and Old Cowgirl appreciate this.
  13. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was afraid she was going to shoot the poor birds. :rotfl:

Daysdegrassi, ktspirit and katmouse appreciate this.
  14. Old Cowgirl

Old Cowgirl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Degrassi, I hope your friend gets away from the creep!

Kat, I didn't realize you'd been a week without rain. It doesn't take long in this heat.

J.S., maybe I could get your mom to come shoot a couple of birds for me. Just in the past 2-3 years, the Eurasian Collared Dove has moved into my area and they are driving me up the wall. We've always had Mourning Doves and I love hearing them, but this Collared Dove makes a sound that literally makes me want to run outside screaming into the open skies it to stop! It goes on and on and on. It makes the sound when it is out in the trees outside my yard so I don't see it when it makes the sound, but one has been coming up to my feeder and water pan for a long time. Today there were two of them. I am not a hunter and I don't like to kill anything (except bugs) unless it is an actual threat to me. Since this bird is a threat to my sanity, I think I might try to shoot it if I were to see it while it is in the act of making that sound. But I don't have the heart to kill it while it is at my scaffolding feeder or drinking the water I put out for birds.

Daysdegrassi, ktspirit, A. Guy and 2 others appreciate this.
  15. ktspirit

ktspirit
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    You sure seem to have to water a lot. Have you thought about planting native plants in your yard? Some are very lovely and are adapted to the climate. They don't need much care. I had a lot of beautiful native plants when I owned my property. I made it into a great project. There are plenty of books on the subject. It's a very good way to conserve nature.

Daysdegrassi appreciates this.
  16. katmouse

katmouse
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    I think this is only 2nd time I watered this year. I moved a couple of plants so I decided to give
    them all a drink. Forecast says chance of rain July 24. Maybe we can get some pop up showers

Daysdegrassi appreciates this.
  17. A. Guy

A. Guy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    JS, they did put the device in one of those little BioHazard plastic bags before giving it to me. The thing was supposed to go to Pathology for disposal; the department head decided to make an exception for me. I feel a little bit badly about how I handled the situation. I hope that my records file will not have the secret-code mark that indicates "Difficult Patient" placed on it! :eek: :eek:

Daysdegrassi, katmouse and Just Samantha appreciate this.