8/17/17 - Donuts & Green and Gold Ticket

mandamiee

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,

I have to share some exciting news from Gena's world with you. She won a ticket to see Aaron Rogers (Packers quarterback) speak at the Boys & Girls club. Only active members from the club in our town and a neighboring town could enter and only 500 kids got picked (there are probably 2000+ active members at all the locations). She's super excited. I got to wake her up with the news.

Hot & humid today.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!

Oh, wow, that is fabulous, Mandy. Congrats to Gena!!!!

Raining here, glad it held off yesterday til night time so daughter did not run into it while driving to Minneapolis & plane, etc. Hummers are emptying the feeder faster than I can fill it. LOL. 3/4 down since 5:30 a.m. Gonna be just in 60s today, but in 80s on Sat. These fronts really move thru fast, and change rapidly at times. don't they?

Poirot - Yes, the weather has been crazy. It rained last night, supposed to be off and on today. I hope it's more off than on as our Girl Scout Troop is supposed to meet at the park to work on their hiking badges tonight. Very glad you daughter had a safe trip. I saw the picture you posted yesterday, your girls are beautiful.

Wow, Manda, I bet Gena was so surprised! Good for her!

Poirot - I'm glad your daughter beat the rain and had a safe trip home.

Another gorgeous day here. My friend from Alabama is heading home today so it was a sad evening. We had a barbecue last night and then we took a long walk. I miss her so much. They moved to Alabama 2 months before my mom passed so I had quite the loss that year. We're going to go see her next month if I can keep out of the doctor's office. I have never been to Alabama so it will be fun.

Have a great day everyone.

Great news for Gena. Wonder if I can fit into her backpack and listen, too?

A gift for my stepmother is supposed to arrive today. It needs to be signed for so I'll be working from home and waiting for the doorbell. I took some of dad's ashes and had them blown into a glass orb. I will post pictures tomorrow.

The events of the past few days have been troubling.

Last Sunday I got to do something really great.

sunday night.jpg

Daughter-in-law got a new couch and I got to read a bedtime story to the Sacramento grandsons.

Happy Thursday.

Robin, parents aren't even allowed to go. All the kids are getting sent by bus to the speech. Trust me, I'd love to go in her backpack, too. The orb sounds neat. A friend of mine had that done with her dogs ashes. What a sweet picture of you with the grandkids. I love it. I hope things get better for you soon.

Shan - Gena was tickled pink when I told her. It's all she's talked about for weeks. :) I'm glad you had a nice visit with your friend. I hope you can go see her in Alabama soon.

Good Morning,

It is a humid day with nice temperatures this morning. We'll see how the rest of the day goes and if it reaches 105F predicted. I am so ready for Autumn!! And an email from Walmart that my tires arrived.

Manda: awesome way for Gena to start her day! I would want to hide in her backpack too if I were you. What wonderful news! Hope your day is brightened by this event too.

Poirot: good to know your daughter missed the raining while driving to the airport. Sounds like there will be some fat and happy humming birds in your area!

Shan: misty-eyed farewells are always bittersweet, but how wonderful to have such a great friend. Wishing you a sweet day.

Robin: you look beautiful, healthy and THIN in your picture! I will be interested in the 'globe' as a remembrance for someone in my family.

Wishing everyone a bright and cheery Thursday!

Good morning. Manda, how exciting for Gena to wake up to such a nice surprise!

Shan, it is such a let down when a beloved friend goes far away. I bet you will love visiting Alabama. I'm sure Kt would recommend it. Well, except for her car dealership.

Kt, what lousy service. Between ignorance and declining moral character, it is hard to get decent service anymore.

Poirot, it's good to hear the weather held for your daughter's trip. I don't know if I could keep up with all your hummingbirds. I haven't seen one here in days.

Robin, what a cute picture of you and the little grandsons! Nice couch too.

Noel, tires, yea!! I hope getting them installed goes more smoothly than the ordering did.

I'm thinking about Sweetie's kitty today, and wondering if Degrassi is doing his labs.

We have a slight chance for rain today and tonight but it looks like it's probably all gone. Then for the next seven days we having normal August weather--sunny and hot! That's okay, we've been humid and hot for a couple of weeks now.

Yesterday was full of unexpected things. First, some contractor from the electric coop came and said they were going to be clearing out all the trees and brush under their lines and they would reach my property in a couple of weeks. I think this is supposed to be done with some regularity but it hasn't been done out here in decades. Really, I can't even describe what the pastures are like here. Pastures to us are not open meadow kind of places. They are very thick with cactus, thorny brush, mesquite trees, Chinaberry and hackberry trees and a few other scrubby varieties of growth. We're always happy to have any area cleared so it can be accessed. But since some of it will be near the house, I did have to make some determination about whether to leave some trees.

Then I drove down to the well and found the cows standing around a bone dry watering trough. I don't know how or when the pump got turned off. So I turned it back on and went back later to check. Need to go again this morning.

After lunch I heard a noise out back, thought it was the wind but went out and found a nice surprise. I'd been waiting for a week or two for someone to show up to clear off an area so I can have a large storage building delivered, and they finally came. Finally, I will be able to clean out the old garage/shop (my niece's son has said he'll do it for me, with her help and what pitiful little help I can contribute). The shop is full of equipment/tools, large and small, so we'll throw out what is no good and put the usable stuff in the new storage building. This is an attempt to get rid of some of the varmints. The old shop is wide open and has been a wonderful haven for them for a long, long time.

While I was out there talking to the guys who were making the clearing for me, the physical therapist came so I came in to see her last go round with the husband. We signed off on that and there probably won't be any reason for her to ever come back. She's my favorite all-time physical therapist.

It was late in the day by then, but not too late for a grand finale to an eventful day. Around seven, the husband was in his wheelchair and decided he would get into his old recliner, which does NOT have a lift function. He has gotten into it a few times when I'm not around and has had a very hard time getting out of it but he forgets about that. When I'm around I usually manage to catch him and tell him he may not be able to get out of it. Well, last night he went up to it and declared, "I'm going to get in this chair that you always tell me not to get in." :eek: So he started trying to get in it but didn't make it. He went down on his knees, with his face and upper body landing in the seat of the chair.

There was no way he was going to get up from that position so I called 911. Those dear people are so sweet. The lady and one of the two young men have been coming for a long time (though we haven't needed them recently). She kids around with my husband, which makes it easier for all of us. I had put pillows under his knees and there he was on his knees with his face down when she walked in. She asked him, "What are you doing, praying?" Lol....it did look that way. So they got him up and back into his lift chair. As they were driving away, my cows, which were in the yard at the time, started bawling and seemed to want to follow the emergency truck. Ha ha, maybe they thought it was a cube cart. Can you believe after they were gone my husband still wanted to get in that old recliner? :angry: No way was I letting that happen.

I did sleep pretty well, except for being awakened at some point by a strange and creepy noise. After listening for a while I decided it must be a bull, making its low, guttural sound, which isn't unusual, but then it seemed there was an owl carrying on too. Maybe I was in some kind of dream world but honestly, it sounded like they were talking back and forth to each other!

OC: oh my, what an eventful day! I don't think one could cram in any more surprises. So nice your first responders are caring and at ease with your husband. The best news is that you slept last night. Hoping your day is a little less eventful today (wink).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, wow, OC, you had a DAY for sure. No wonder you slept good...

Hey, Noel.......3 cheers, the tires finally are here, and you can get them put on! Oh, wait........they have NOT arrived....you are still waiting......egads! Boo, hiss. Too bad you cannot just cancel and go elsewhere, this is just toooo long now. Any word from your ins. yet on being able to go back to work?

kt.....yep, maybe time to write parent company (did that with a stove once) and also the Better Business Bureau. What about the manager/owner of the dealership? I am really sorry you are running into all this trouble.

Shan, understand about best friend.......I have one down in IL, and miss her constantly. Only get to see when I can go there.

Poirot - yes, the tires are scheduled to arrive today by 6pm. Once they email me, I plan on going straight to the auto center for installation. Every email has me nervous as a cat to get this done. And next Wednesday is my last right eye follow up visit. Then back to hospital doctor for release. It feels like I am stuck in slow motion on both these events. Thanks for asking.

Good morning everyone. I have more interesting things to do besides looking up stuff on the internet about my car, but that's what I did again yesterday. I found some interesting articles on making complaints about a dealership. Guy, I did call GM three times yesterday and got cut off three times. I finally used the "chat now" button and conversed with a helpful person. She took my information, gave me a service request number, and will have a Senior Advisor from Customer Relations Center call me. That's more progress than I've made in two weeks. The articles also suggested contacting the Attorney General and, as Poirot and Guy suggested, the Better Business Bureau. Apparently dealerships don't like to miss out on their bonus points with GM for several reasons. I hope I can stick them where it hurts, lol!

Hummers are emptying the feeder faster than I can fill it.

I must be concerned about my hummers, too. I had a dream last night that I had some hummers in a cage and there was a lot of greenery in there, but remembered I couldn't make any nectar to feed them (my stove doesn't work), LOL.

I bet you will love visiting Alabama. I'm sure Kt would recommend it. Well, except for her car dealership.

:rotfl::clap:

OC, maybe you should get rid of that recliner. Your day made me tired reading about it!

Good afternoon all,

Manda, that's wonderful news for Gena! Exciting!

The heat & humidity returned the past few days. It'll be with us for most of the week. These past few days we've done some yard work, and I've been walking Sally and going to the gym as usual. I did finish the book I was reading, and now have to read three (two are under one hundred pages) for school before the semester begins. I think I'll finish the first one this evening. Also have to catch up on Days and go to the gym tonight.

The hatred and terror over the past few days in Charlottesville and now Barcelona is tragic. Hoping and wishing for better days ahead for all in the world.

Have a nice day, everyone.

Hee hee, I'm guessing GM is desperate to avoid these mean monsters. I copied this from their website:

If you are not enjoying an exceptional experience - anything from ongoing warranty concerns to having difficulty getting your vehicle repaired, contact GM and let us help. We understand that customers may turn in many directions for assistance, including the local Better Business Bureau, State Attorney Generals, and Lemon Law firms. Make GM your first choice when you need help with your GM vehicle - give us the opportunity to earn your trust and maintain your confidence.

A mostly cloudy day here again and in the 80s.

I went to school for volunteer meeting they have first of the year. I'll
probably won't be working in library until after Labor Day. The classroom
that was used by volunteers for copying, laminating, etc had to taken for
the new kindergarten class. The room the librarian used for storage
now has some of the items the volunteers will use. Some of the items are
in the cafeteria. What a mess. The librarian now has to sort everything that
was in storage which is now all over my work area.

OC, I'm sorry your husband fell again. I'm glad the help came right away.
I hope you got to rest today.

manda, wonderful news for Gena. I hope she has a great time.

robin, what a special present for your stepmom. Does she know it's coming?
Thanks for posting the picture reading to your grandsons.

shan, I'm glad your friend come to visit. I hope you can go see her soon.

Yippee Noel, the tires finally came.

kt, I hope you get some good news soon about car. Are you able to drive it?

It's time for beetle patrol. I didn't do it this morning since I had the meeting.
I noticed today my neighbor's crepe myrthal isn't looking well. I went over and
found those nasty bugs there, but not as many on my bush. I took some
off and put in the bag she has in her yard.

I hope everyone has a nice evening and good night's rest.

A drive by post to let your all know I'm still here.

I feel like I'm at kt's. Tornado sirens have been going off for the last 3 hours, and I'm tired of sitting in the shower. Thank goodness I have a shower seat to sit on or I'd never be able to get up.

Phone battery is low. Will try to check in later.

Oh Squirrel, I didn't know you were having storms up your way. It is so miserable waiting them out. I'm glad you have a fairly comfortable way to sit through them in a safe place. Hope you took a cushion for the shower seat. Be safe!

Kat, how kind of you to pick some of the beetles off your neighbor's crepe myrtle!

TIRES!! Wal-Mart called me at 4pm from the local store to tell me they had my tires all along but no one emailed me last week. It seems corporate followed ip after my last call and were on the line. Both officials apologized to me. There were a lot of cars in line so I postponed an oil change til an opening Sunday. They close here at 7pm and I closed out the auto center but with an installment discount on each tire! YES!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back