8-2-17 - Donuts and Road Trip

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I didn't want to jump in and start the thread when I stopped in earlier. I saw that A. Guy was already here, and I wanted him to have the chance to start the thread since I did it twice last week.

I need JS or Poirot to correct my spelling because I obviously can't spell "Trip" this morning. I put one too many i's in it.

Well, I'm off to a little senior center in my southern county. The people there are nice, and are always happy to see me.

The bonus is that I get to go past the haunted building that used to be a combination county poor house, orphanage, and home for the mentally ill. It was one of the few places in the country that had everyone in the same building
A few times I have seen strange lights and figures in the windows during the day. I'd like to go on a guided tour, but I can't get anyone to go with me. My friends are all scaredy cats. A few of the ghost hunter tv shows have filmed there, and have picked up some of the strange happenings.

Last edited:
Morning, RS. Where are we going on our road trip? I'll pack us a lunch and a few drinks and we'll just take off on the open highways.

Woooo hooooooo!!! We finally received some rain yesterday and a bit through the night. Granted it was just a light drizzle but it was continuous throughout the night. Today is overcast and hoping for some more rain especially in BC to help with the 150+ fires burning in the province but does not sound like more rain is forecasted. BC is going into a hot spell again which has officials concerned of more fires starting. I read this morning that July was the 4th hottest July since record keeping started in the 1800's. August, while not this week, is expected to be much of the same as July, which I am going to take because before you know winter will be here and I'll be wishing for summer again. LOL!

I rarely, if ever take more than a few days off at a time but when I do I combine those days off to coincide with my weekend and regular every other Friday off. This summer I have decided to take 2 weeks off and I cannot wait for this. It will be a busy few weeks off but I cannot wait. So I work today and tomorrow, off for the August Long Weekend, back to work on Tuesday then at 3:30pm next Friday I am on Holeeeeeedaaays!!! WOOT WOOT!! We have company next weekend to kick them off, camping for my family reunion 5 days, home for 3, then camping for another 5, home for one day then back to work on the 29th.

Have a good day everyone.

That is not a good co-pilot and he would be out of the road trip club. A good co-pilot makes the road trip fun for the driver with food, drinks, music, pointing out sights, keeping you awake, sharing little nuggets of useless wisdom like, "I find it ironic the colours red, white and blue stand for freedom......until they're flashing behind you" or "A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight, live longer than the men who mention it" or "My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance.........we'll see about that"!! My point being that it is the co-pilots job to keep the driver entertained.

I've got RS and JS to pick up on our road trip. Anyone else? And here is something I have thought about......I always wondered what the job application is like at Hooters. Do they just give you bra and say, "Fill this out?"

Morning Everyone,

RS - I'd go ghost hunting with you. I love all that creepy spooky stuff.

Muzz - Lucky Duck, I wish I had 2 straight weeks of vacation. You are on a roll with the jokes today. :)

JS - your friend sounds like my mom, always falls asleep about 15 minutes into a long road trip.

Nothing new or exciting in my world, and for that I'm grateful.

Hope everyone has an awesome day.

Need some prayers for my friend and her husband. He was just life flighted in critical condition with a brain aneurysm to University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. The surgeon is ready to operate as soon as they get him down to the OR.

Muzzaman, already on the road heading down towards Pittsburgh.

I'm finally getting 2 weeks off, too. The 12th through the 27th. I have to work my usual Friday off on the 11th at a preschool registration up north.

Sorry to hear about your friends, RS. I hope everything turns out ok.

And I'm off from the 14th to the 28th.......hmmmmmmm......what are people going to say? It COULD take you two days to get to Calgary and we DO have coinciding days off......just sayin! :)

Good morning all.
Very short night last night. I had to work late and didn't get home till after 8. I was making dinner and I didn't have my shadow. No problem, he is most likely begging dinner from Hunny Bunny. Nope. Search of the house. I looked outside, and nada.

Hunny Bunny grabbed the flashlight and headed out back. Somehow Mr. Gus had managed to get into the pool and was on his very last breath, before the pool became poodle soup. Shoes on, and poodle wrapped into a warm blanket and off to the dog ER. Shortly after the triage nurse took him from me, I could hear him barking in the back.

So now I know what I'm doing this weekend. Putting a Mr. Gus proof fence around the pool. No clue how it happened. But we were lucky and now very paranoid it will happen again.

Muzz and JS and RS, if Mr. Gus can join in, we'd love to take a road trip. Mr. Gus travels very well and cleans up all peanut butter that falls off of celery or apples. Same for squirt cheese.

Happy Wednesday.

Good afternoon to all. The heat and humidity are back and although the beagle likes long afternoon walks, she's going to be strictly limited in how far we go lest she become overheated.

redsquirrel: We don't have any allegedly haunted buildings around here. The best candidate, a 19th-century former boys school. would be the best option, but its now owned by a village government which keeps it up while trying to decide what to do with this white elephant. Also, I hope everything turns out well for your friend and her husband.

Muzza: Enjoy the road trip. We just got back from a short one, a drive down the dreaded I-95 to visit my son in Annapolis, MD. This time, traffic wasn't as bad as in the past. Ironically, the biggest traffic jams were in Delaware, which is one of the smallest states.

robinsnest: Sorry to hear about the problems with Mr. Gus. It brings to mind my son's accident-prone boxer, who, over the years has suffered a broken foreleg, a few nips, and a serious infection, all at doggy day care. Because of these misfortunes, it's no more day care for him. He's now strictly a homebody dog.

JS: Passengers who conk out are a way of life. For years, I've done the driving while my wife dozes off. Of course, much of the "scenery" along a lot of I-95 and Long Island highways would put anyone to sleep.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon

A slow start to the day followed by too many appointments and long waits to be called in the back office. Evidently we missed the health check up papers for kiddos so I am joustling them around for mini-health checks at doctor, dentist and vision centers. Then back to school office for permanent filing so they can start school next week. All of this on a hot & muggy day with one eye blurry vision. Oh, and a grumpy dad driver!

I will try to check back in later tonight when everyone else is calm and quiet.

Good afternoon everyone!

Prayers to your friend and her husband, rs.

Robin, glad you found Mr. Gus in time.

I'm up for this road trip too. I need a vacation but won't have time off until mid-September.

Working 3-10 today. Glad I'm off tomorrow. It's been a long few days.

Hope everyone has a wonderful afternoon!

Hi all.....busy and unexpected morning doings. Phone call from hubby at 8 a.m. wanted to come home, had enough of the hospital, poking, prodding, blah, blah. I protested to no avail.....he already had complained & talked to dr. So, despite having a 101 fever early this a.m. for which he got Tylenol, he was adamant, and I had to make the unplanned trip to town, bringing clothes, shoes, jacket, yada, yada, I was not a happy camper. He was sleeping when I got there, complained I brought wrong shoes, wrong jacket, blah, blah. Cranky was a description the nurse gave for him. She had to get papers and stuff, which took a while, then talk to him verbally. I was surprised they let him walk out of the hospital, did not use a wheel chair, which is usually the case. It was a long, long walk to the exit, the nurse said good exercise for him. Ha.

Then, he wants to go get a cheeseburger & fries at McD's.....he did not eat breakfast. (I was told he had, because they wanted to be sure he could swallow again...he had been having trouble) Ha. We go, but they don't have cheeseburgers or fries until 11:30. So 20 miles later at home....and does he eat? Nope. Goes to sleep.....another nap.

Muzza...you had me laughing out loud, and my man, I sure needed that.

Robin, Does Mr. Gus ever try to drink water from the pool? Could he have been trying for that, fell in? Or purposely went in for a cool swim, then could not get out. ????

Good afternoon. the past two days were pretty trying around my house. I won't even go into it, but Poirot, I feel for you as you take care of a husband who isn't feeling well.

Squirrel, I hope your friend's husband can be successfully treated. Such a serious malady.

Robin, thank goodness you got to Mr. Gus in time!

I've been sitting here listening to a roadrunner "whining" for about half an hour. I'm falling asleep so I should get up and move around. Maybe go to the dump. We've had a couple of nice, cool days, with highs in the 80s*. Gonna jump back up to mid 90s* tomorrow.

Good afternoon. I don't exactly know what to say. So many of us are dealing with so much lately. My heart sank reading some of your recent posts. I don't have the energy to respond to each of you, haven't in a while, but know I think about you.

Regarding Mr. Gus, he has always avoided the pool. Never shown any interest in the pool. When we are IN the pool (why on God's green Earth would we EVER do that, he wonders) he barks a warning at us till we ask him to stop then he goes inside the house. And the pool is currently 92 degrees, so it's not really a cooling place.

It was dark and stormy and we "THINK" with his vision issues, that he got confused with the lightning and fell in. He is very sore and not really wanting to go for a walk or anything today. He is now back home, so both Mr. Gus and Hunny Bunny and under orders to rest and stay off their feet.

kt - hope everything is going as well as can be in your neck of the woods, even if we don't see ya much.

I talked to the head mechanic again this afternoon and it doesn't look promising about my car. Aside from breaking the engine down (lots of labor cost and the computer doesn't read the status of the engine itself) all they can do is replace the fuel injectors and can't guarantee the engine won't blow when cranked. Just replacing the fuel injectors would cost $700. I don't think I can pay that for an iffy chance. I'm in a dilemma and there isn't public transportation here in this rural area; no buses, trains, subways, taxis, etc.

I did use the landlord's car to go to the store today, but I don't want to take advantage of them. I'm tired of thinking about it. I'll run off on that nice road trip some of you are going on! LOL

Goodness, what happened today.

I went with a friend to Crystal Bridges this morning. First time I've been there when
the close parking lot full. There is a shuttle from the other parking lot. We saw the
special Chihuly exhibit. Mostly things made with glass some inside, some outside.

We saw another exhibit that was interesting too. I might go back again to see it after
school starts. It's also free.

Here are two links if anyone interested

https://crystalbridges.org/exhibitions/chihuly/

http://www.chihuly.com/

--------------
rs, sorry to hear about your friend's husband. I hope everything goes well. I would
love to go to the haunted house with you.

Poirot, I wish you well taking care of your husband.

robin, I'm glad Mr Gus is ok.

Muzzaman, I want to go on the road trip too.

manda, I'm glad your day is going well.

kt, sorry to hear about your car. Does your mom have car you can use for awhile?
I wish I could give you one, but my son needs one too.

OC, I'm glad you're having a day of rest.

I hope everyone has a good evening and sleep well tonight.

Last edited:
Heya Everybody! I hope that everyone is having a fantastic day. Today was a trying day. One of my cats has been sick so I took the cat to the vet to get checked out. Had to get an x-ray and blood test done. I got the results early this morning and found out that it is kidney failure. I am in shock and really saddened to hear this. I consider him a part of my family so to hear this news has been difficult. What a day.

I have been enjoying the weather this past week as it has been hot, hot, hot! Right now it is cloudy and 70 F, it's cooler because we had a thunderstorm roll through a few hours ago.

Robin: I am very relieved to hear that you were able to rescue Mr. Gus in time. That must have been really scary.

Wishing all of you a wonderful Wednesday evening, sending so much happiness to each one of you.

Back