8-8-17 - Donuts and School

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. Another cool night and morning. I had to get a comforter out again because I refuse to turn on the furnace just because it got down to 51* in August. Mother Nature needs to get back on her meds.

I'm packing up to go to a new school this morning. This one started back yesterday. That's VERY early for this part of the country.

kt, that's good news about your car.

Poirot, your Cubs are currently in first place for their division. You can follow their games live online on ESPN. I do that when my Pirates home games are only on cable.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/_/name/chc/chicago-cubs

Good morning.....Sun is out, tis 61 and guess what...hubby has been turning the furnace on, driving me up a wall. It gets tooooo warm, then the window A/C goes on, But he is chilly, he says. Grrrrrr. So, I turn thermostat down, and he turns it back up again. Double grrrrrr.

Good morning all. Back to work this morning after a nice long weekend. We took our neighbours out for dinner on Friday to say thank you for the work that one of them did on our thunderbird. Saturday was a lazy day, Sunday was a lazy day and Monday I baked buns and cookies. I have a relatively busy 4 days before going on to weeks holidays. Friday I am writing an exam with Health Canada for a position I applied on back in January and while I am out of the office I have to come back for an hour for an interview on a position I applied on back in February. Nothing moves fast in the government.

So last night did we ever get a scare. At about 1am we were both sound asleep with the window open and the loudest crack of thunder woke us both up so fast. It was almost apocalyptic with how loud it was and waking up so abruptly. This was definitely a time when I can say I got the Schmidt scared outta me!! LOL! My last name is Schmidt so it really kind of applies in this situation. LOL!

Have a great week everyone.

Morning all.

Today is a drive to the office day. Yea. Mr. Gus may be coming with me, as Hunny Bunny has lots to do today and we didn't get the pool fenced off.

School starts this week in this neighborhood. Why? When it is only 110 outside?? Who knows? Why wait till the temps are more moderate???? Who knows? It just gums up my drive as folks bring their darlings to school. A thing I understand, but don't mind unless I'm running late, which is on me.

I'll try to check in later today.

Morning Everyone,

Poirot - I miss Harry Carey announcing the Cubs games. Back when I was little, they showed all the games on WGN. My grandparents got cable way back in the early days just so they could watch the Cubs. Now I'm lucky if I can find the game on TV.

RS - I love the cooler temps. I hope Mother Nature stays in her current mood for awhile.

Muzz - I love sleeping with the windows open, but alas, we can't because the train whistles are too loud since the tracks are about 20 feet from my house. Sorry the thunder disturbed your sleep.

Robin - I hope Mr. Gus behaves at the office for you. Good luck with the school traffic.

Hubby's interview is scheduled for Friday morning. Apparently he's the only person with forklift experience that has applied, at least so far. Which I think would give him a leg up on getting hired. Not too much else new going on for us.

Have a wonderful day!

Muzza.......I wonder if that loud crack meant a tree was hit somewhere not too far from you and exploded. ?? Been told it sounds like a bomb and I do think it would wake you up.

Got say last season, I loved that on Dancing With the Stars, they had the Cub catcher who retired, David Ross. The first few shows, team buddies were all in the audience, cheering him on. That was really special, since they were the World Series Champs.

Hello my friends. Hope you all are doing great. I have been doing really good. My cat Casper has been keeping me entertained. As we speak, he is running around chasing a paper bag. I too like the cooler temps and I have been going for walks with my friend and her doggie. When it is hot I tend to stay inside.

Wishing you all have an fabulous day & God Bless.

I would rather listen to the game on radio as I sit here.

Poirot, even the local station here in the boondocks has a live broadcast online. Maybe you can find a Chicago station you like that covers all the Cubs stuff and games. You may have to open a new tab on your browser for the other things you do while listening to the online radio in the background. The caveat is you will have to pause/mute the online radio to hear a sound stream from another site, video, etc. I don't find it to be much trouble switching back and forth when necessary. I can listen to music and surf the web at the same time.

Friskie - Casper is such a cutie. Glad he makes you smile.

What's that old saying, bad luck happens in 3's? Well the 3rd event hit today, so I hope we can be done for awhile. Hubby was looking around the basement, as the water company is scheduled to install a new water meter (free of charge). Well, he happened to notice a small puddle under one of the water heaters (we have 2, 1 for us, one for the tenant), and sure enough it has a leak. Good new, I guess is the plumber can install a new one today. Bad news, the cost will be around $750.

So 1) Hubby loses job 2) bed bugs 3) water heater leak. :cry:

At least we noticed before it really blew out, especially since the tank holds 72 gallons of water. We'd have had a real mess, but I don't know how much more I can take. All this stuff is just making me exhausted. I feel like this little dude lately :fan: or maybe this horse :beat:

Poirot, I think that satellite radios (Sirius) have live baseball channels. The catch is, device and subscription costs.

It may be possible for an AM radio, using an outdoor, long-wire antenna, to pick up a Chicago station that broadcasts the games. If you have any friendly ham radio operators near you, they could be very helpful.

Manda, you have had a lot on your plate, lately! I can't believe how much water heater prices have increased! I hope your new one comes with a long warranty, and that you will have smooth sailing for a goodly while.

Muzza, your thunder story reminds me of an old cartoon. Santa's sleigh has crash landed on an outdoor privy, and Santa says, "(Dang) it Rudolph, I said the Schmidt house!" :drunk:

Have a nice, safe day, all!

Another cool morning. It's still below 80 now, but humidity high today. I killed
more Japanese beetles today. This morning, I figured out some are hiding in the
flower petals when they begin to open up. So, I took extra time checking them.
Bee and hummingbird were out too.

I spent two hours in the garage this morning. I went through boxes that were left
when I moved in. I got some emptied and put in attic. One full of knick knacks
is in house. I'll sort one day. I wish some of you lived close by. I could give some
to your kids or grandkids. I liked collecting animal figures. Tomorrow I
plan to
vacuum one of the window stills.

manda, sorry for the stuff going on. At least you're not alone when stuff happens. I hope the
man can check the other water heater to make sure it's working fine while he's there.

Poirot, you should check the internet and Google cub games. I have my laptop on
to listen to music.

robin, I hope you and Mr Gus had a good day at the office.

Friskie, I'm glad you're enjoying the cooler weather.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day and evening.

Yay, we got some good news, the plumber checked both water heaters and neither are leaking, it was the drain pipe for the washing machine that was leaking. He bumped it with his foot and it fell apart. He said the heaters look good and should last at least a few more years. He was nice enough to re-glue the washer pipe and said we should be good to go.

I see our luck has already swung back the other way. Our washer sits about 6 feet away from the floor drain, so there's a PVC pipe to take the water from the washer to the drain (I know, weird set-up but our house 131 years old, so I just go with it). I guess all the hot water washed laundry loosened up the pipe fitting and the old adhesive.

AGuy - gas water heaters run between $400-$700 for a 40 gallon heater, not including installation.

Kat - do you squish your Asian beetles or trap them and throw them away? I've heard that squishing them will attract more as they are cannibalistic little critters.

I've been putting the beetles in a bucket with some gas. I bend the branches and down
they go. Then I dump bucket far from the bush. I do it early in the morning otherwise they fly.

manda, I'm glad you got good news about the hot water heaters.

Kat, egads, you have patience. I probably would have dug that bush out by now, or sprayed the whole thing.

We have Asian beetles in the fall...........they are all over the outside of the house, but sometimes find their way thru the wood or door frames and then are inside. I have fits, needless to say. Spray, spray, spray. LOL

Do you really dump gas on the road or in the woods? Actually, detergent works just as well, maybe even better. That is what the Farmer's Almanac recommends

https://www.almanac.com/pest/japanese-beetles

Last edited:
Thanks, Poirot, I'll use detergent tomorrow. I don't put too much gas in bucket. It evaporated
before I went around the bush the fourth time.

I don't want to spray the bush with anything harmful because of the butterflies,
bees and hummingbirds.

A very late start today due to kiddo mishaps here and there. The first week of school is a crazy one in this household. Then the bus didn't show due to breakdown so errands started early. Friday the tires for my car are delivered and installed and then I'll breath easier when on the road. Nothing else much new here.

RS: Mother Nature needs to get back on her meds here too as it will be 108F today!

Poirot: I miss the Cubby games too.

Muzza: at least you have the Schmidt always with you.

Robin: wouldn't it be nice to enjoy real Autumnal weather? Poor kiddos wilting in this heat.

Manda: glad to know your hubby has a Friday interview for this position and has a needed skill requirement. Best wishes to you both and hoping this is your answered prayer opportunity. Sure hope this is the end of the '3s' for you - such good news from the plumber is a good sign.

Friskie: our best are often the best company when the heat is wilting outside. Enjoy your morning walks with your friend now that the temperatures are ambient.

KT: you find inventive ways to double task to reach your goal. Love how you see the Cubbys play!

JS: the cost of replacing almost anything has sky rocketed the last few years, I agree.

AGuy: hope your Tuesday is going great.

Kat: like how you outsmart those hidden beetles! Hope they are all dead very soon.

Wishing everyone a great afternoon and evening!

Last edited:
Back