8/9/17 - Donuts & Western Omelet

Discussion in 'Donuts & ???' started by Poirot, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Poirot

Poirot
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good morning.....see so many have been here, but not in the Donuts area. Been making a huge dent in the backed up bookwork, Laundry today, if I can. then back to the paperwork.

Yesterday, was reading the Home section of the Sunday paper finally, and what jumps out at me, but a columnist's article about Japanese beetles. Evidently the lady has a huge garden, had just provided a ton of flowers for a wedding on Mackinac Island (wayyy upper Michigan) which was a 5 hour drive from her house. All her trials, tribulations and success at last. She then went into the Japanese beetle invasion which is supposed to be really terrible this year. She talked of how her roses got decimated, the foilage on various plants, warning not to use chemicals on them. She claimed the only way to deal was picking by hand, guess she has a huge problem. She listed a number of plants/flowers that the beetles do not like, and I think claimed she was going to put some of the items the beetles do not like in her garden., I remember hydrangeas, honey locust, tomatoes, among those items beetles don't like.

SHANRICK, robinsnest, katmouse and 5 others appreciate this.
  2. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island is the beautiful setting of the 80's movie, Somewhere in Time, with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve.

SHANRICK, robinsnest, katmouse and 5 others appreciate this.
  3. Muzzaman

Muzzaman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning. Man, I rarely have a hard time sleeping but last night was tough. The last time I looked at the time it was 1:15am and 5:00am came way too fast. I made the mistake of having a half hour nap after work yesterday and that definitely contributed to the hard time falling asleep but also my mind was racing.

I have an exam this Friday which I've not studied for at all so will do this today. I have been screened through to write an exam for Health Canada and I will be tested on my knowledge of the Tobacco Act and Regulations and the Tobacco Control Strategy, I have an interview next week Tuesday for a position within my organization and this weekend we have company coming and we have stress about that.

My best friend, wife and their kids are staying with us and let's just say that his wife is a test in patience and do not understand her. For as long as I've known her she has not been an overly warm person and have witnessed many instances of my husband making efforts to speak to her and she just walks away and dismisses him. It cause tension between us prior to their visits or when we visit them because if it weren't for her husband and the person he is, we wouldn't stand for that treatment. It is very hot and cold with her despite every effort we make with her which is actually for her husband.

My husband has found a way to deal with this and will not put himself in situations where she is able to do this and we also have told ourselves that there has to be a bit of mental illness because sometimes it's like a glaze just comes over her and perhaps doesn't realize she is doing this but then we see her totally normal and having fun with others so we just don't get it. We both make it the best we can for my best friend because of the person he is and we also see others doing the same as us for him.

At least on this visit she made the effort to see about staying with us and because it is our home and hospitality, we do not think she will behave this way. For my husband, like I say he has found a way to deal with it and pick and choose situations to speak with her. This is usually approaching her when her husband is with her and friends because she doesn't behave this way when he is around. It is difficult because how do you tell your best friend how his wife treats my husband and at times me.

When it happens to me it doesn't bother me all that much as I've known her longer and maybe just know what she is like but it bothers me to hear and see when she does this to my husband. Oh well, it isn't always bad but it definitely causes arguments before and after their visit with us and trying to figure her out. This is all in a nutshell and could provide more context but I think I would take up the maximum space in doughnuts. LOL!

One last example, we both know she has some food allergies and would like to accommodate her with these but in order to do that, she would need to return a text responding to our query on this but we've yet to have the courtesy of a response and because it is her, it just sort of festers inside that we do everything we can to make things better and feel our efforts go unnoticed. Thank god for her husband who is totally opposite of her. I guess they balance each other out.

Besides that, we are looking forward to the kids and my buddy being here and have mutual friends coming over for a bbq on Friday night. Plus our friends neighbours are travelling with them and will be staying with us, so there will be many people that she does like to keep her occupied.

Thanks for listening to my soapbox. LOL! Have a good day.

#3 Muzzaman, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2017
    EricMSweetie, SHANRICK, robinsnest and 7 others appreciate this.
  4. Poirot

Poirot
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, have been there. Also, one of Esther Williams movies was filmed there, as they make a big deal of her swimming in their pool. Grand Hotel is a beautiful place, though it has been years since I was there. They would have afternoon high tea in their main area. And you could not come to dinner unless men in a suit or at least jacket, women in a dress. And.....if you went somewhere, you better be back before 5:30 or 6 p.m. because you were not allowed to come in the main door, or cross the lobby unless "properly dressed"....meaning no casual clothes, shorts, slacks, etc. LOL

SHANRICK, robinsnest, katmouse and 7 others appreciate this.
  5. Muzzaman

Muzzaman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for merging threads. I started writing and stopped as my co-worker came over to chat then I just continued on.

SHANRICK, robinsnest, katmouse and 4 others appreciate this.
  6. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm sitting at my desk, getting annoyed by what I initially thought was a car with their music blaring. All I could hear (at first) was the BOOM BOOM BOOM of the bass notes.

Then I realized what I was hearing. The high school marching band practicing. Ahhhh, it's that time of year for the kids. Nothing like hearing Katy Perry or Lady Gaga songs done by a marching band, over and over.

I remember being in school when the band practiced every day at 2:00 in the football field. The one year, my science class was right beside the field and I heard Hall and Oates' Private Eyes until I knew it backwards and forwards. I still think of the marching band every time I hear that song.

Muzzaman, EricMSweetie, SHANRICK and 6 others appreciate this.
  7. mandamiee

mandamiee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Morning Everyone,

Working from home today so I can be around when the exterminator arrives. Of course, had I known hubby would still be unemployed, I probably wouldn't have planned to work from home. But we also have the water company coming to install a new water meter. And that could happen in a 2 hour window of time, in which hubby has a dentist appointment scheduled at the later end, so I guess it's better that I'm home.

I also get to go to the dentist today for my first 2 or 3 of 5 fillings that I need.

Muzz - that woman sounds like a piece of work. I hope with the extra friends around it will be easier on you and your husband.

Poirot - hope all the paper work goes smoothly. That poor lady and all those nasty beetles.

JS - sometimes we hear the band from the middle school up the road. I'd rather hear the high school, at least they tend to all be on pitch.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Muzzaman, EricMSweetie, SHANRICK and 6 others appreciate this.
  8. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Another very busy day with a long to-do list and many errands for family members. My Mom used to say 'love is never idle' and now I really understand that saying.

It is alredy 87F at 7:43am. And so the day begins as it climbs to 111F. Sunglasses are always with me now. They passed a law here now that protects individuals who break into cars to rescue a baby, child or pet!! Finally!!!

Poirot: good luck with your many projects today.

JS: enjoy a marching band any time possible.

Muzza: keep being brave, strong and true to who you are no matter what other people think, say or do.

Manda: have the best day possible with a dental appointment. And then a good night!

Hope everyone has the best day possible!

Muzzaman, SHANRICK, robinsnest and 5 others appreciate this.
  9. Old Cowgirl

Old Cowgirl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning. Having some sunshine and a warmup here for a couple of days, then clouds and rain possibilities return for the weekend. I have noticed for a long time that rainy weather often happens on the weekend. That's fine with me since I don't get out on weekends anyway but I imagine it is frustrating for those who try to make good use of their days off from work.

Muzz, that situation is enough cause for stress. It seems strange that the woman appears not to want to be around you, for whatever reasons, but yet she arranges to come and stay in your home. Odd situation and uncomfortable for everybody, except maybe her husband, who mercifully gets shielded from it. I hope her friends keep her occupied.

Manda, I hope the exterminator is able to take care of those bugs once and for all today! Does Gena stay home with you when you work from home? Sorry you have all that dental work. Sounds like my daughter-in-law.

Just Samantha, you have a lot of competing noises at your house, with the trains and marching bands! I didn't realize you live close to a school. Do the sounds disturb Queen Bee?

Poirot, I have some laundry and paperwork to do today too but probably on a much smaller scale than yours. It sounds like Kat is on the right track with her beetles. Maybe she can plant some of those plants for another year. Likely too late for this year.

Noel, your mom had a good point. I love hearing the sayings that are passed down through generations. Hope your to do list goes smoothly.

Physical therapist is coming again today. Ordinarily Tuesday and Thursday but our place is in a path she's traveling today so she changed just for this time. The home health nurses and physical therapists out here have a lot of long roads to travel. They cover at least three counties, with many patients living in the country, which means lots of miles. They are always having to make schedule adjustments for various reasons. It makes me think of Squirrel and how she travels to different parts of her county, although she doesn't go to individual's homes.

Muzzaman, A. Guy, SHANRICK and 7 others appreciate this.
  10. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    OC: your day sounds very busy and yet you find time to post with us daily. Just love your insights and stories.

Off to start errands.

Muzzaman, Old Cowgirl, SHANRICK and 4 others appreciate this.
  11. mandamiee

mandamiee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Noel - the dentist doesn't bother me. So far I've been blessed with wonderful dentists that don't cause a lot of pain. :) Good luck with today's errands, hope they go smoothly.

OC - Sometimes I keep Gena home when I work from home. But today, I took her to the boys and girls club due to all the commotion with the exterminator being here. I don't normally have so many dental problems, but I hadn't gone in 2 years (yikes, bad me). Thankfully they are all small cavities. I hope physical therapy goes smoothly for all today.

Muzzaman, Old Cowgirl, SHANRICK and 4 others appreciate this.
  12. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Manda: a good dentist is a great keeper. Glad you are getting best care.

SHANRICK, mandamiee, robinsnest and 1 other person appreciate this.
  13. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The high school is about a block or so away. We normally don't hear anything from the school, though. I just hear the marching band practicing, due to how the sound carries. Sometimes we can hear the announcers for the football games.

Old Cowgirl, SHANRICK, mandamiee and 5 others appreciate this.
  14. ktspirit

ktspirit
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning. I totally underestimated our little library, lol. I saw an article in today's paper that the library was actually giving out 280 pairs of eclipse glasses.

My computer is doing strange things today. When I hit the back button on the wireless mouse, it would go back several pages, not to the one I viewed just before. The usual volume indicator didn't work. I discovered the software icon for my wireless keyboard and mouse was showing up three times and I deleted two of them, so I'm able to go back one page on the internet now. I had to restart the computer for the volume indicator to work. Computers really do have a mind of their own, lol!

Take care everyone.

Muzzaman, SHANRICK, mandamiee and 5 others appreciate this.
  15. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    KT: your library is cool! I think I need a new laptop but listening to other people's issues and changed my mind. At least you fixed your glitches. I admire that skill.

SHANRICK, mandamiee, robinsnest and 3 others appreciate this.
  16. ktspirit

ktspirit
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    It was the same when I was growing up. My parents' house was probably less than half a mile from the high school stadium, as the crow flies, lol.

Muzza, don't worry about people you cannot please. It's their problem, not you. Good luck on your test. I have confidence you will do just fine!

Muzzaman, SHANRICK, mandamiee and 5 others appreciate this.
  17. A. Guy

A. Guy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Manda, years ago, I noticed an odd small charge hidden away on the water bill. Something like "meter replacement fee." Asked the city, and was told that was to pay for a new meter every 10 (?) years. I never saw them replace a meter, but I suppose they did when they suspected that one was inaccurate (to a customer's benefit.)

Tuesday must have been "Dentist Day," as I also had the pleasure. No bad news, so it wasn't too bad.

Muzza, I hope you, and most of your guests, have a blast at the BBQ. Let the party pooper go pout in a corner!

Poirot, I've been to Mackinac Island a few times, and hit the Grand's buffet, once. The lunch buffet was sumptuous, but the ambiance (and the $$$) was a bit much, for me. :eek: In the unlikely event that I ever spend a night at the hotel, I will definitely be sleeping on the first floor. It's all wood.

I loved to rent a horse and buggy, and explore the island's interior. Don't know about now, but you were able to rent a saddle horse, but I never did that, because I was with non-riders. :)

JS, I'd like to have one of those huge bass drums, but I would use it only on holidays, and storage would definitely be an issue! :)

Take care, now, people!

#17 A. Guy, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Muzzaman, SHANRICK, ktspirit and 5 others appreciate this.
  18. redsquirrel

redsquirrel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good afternoon everyone. This has been another crazy day at the same new school as yesterday. All of the kids I screened were 2 years old. Thank goodness only one had a melt down, but she quickly behaved when she saw the other kids having fun with me.

Since returning to the office, I've been putting out fires in the other offices. I don't know why some people just won't do their own work instead of trying to tell others (incorrectly) how to do theirs.

OC - Thursday and Friday are going to be long killer days driving to the very rural far corner of my northern county. Then I have to screen kids from 8:30 to 4:30. I won't get back to the office until after 6:30 pm each day.

Old Cowgirl, A. Guy, Noel and 6 others appreciate this.
  19. robinsnest

robinsnest
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Late to the morning today.

Very busy start to the day. Hunny Bunny is flying out to Houston today and had a bunch of errands to do before that. He got is stitches out today!! He will, I'm sure, be a bloody mess on the plane, so I apologize now to all the flight attendants. He also has to pick up more antibiotics as he won't be able to check in with the doctor for a couple of days. So he was flying out the door before 7:30. I had to finish up household chores and fly out to get to work.

Mr. Gus is with me today and well for the rest of the week.

Muzz - good luck with your guest. She sounds like a charmer.

Manda - good luck with your workers. May they come on time and fix the problems, without finding more or causing more damage.

Back to work.

Muzzaman, A. Guy, Noel and 4 others appreciate this.
  20. katmouse

katmouse
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Another busy morning. Goldie and I walked. Then I spent about 30 minutes taking
    the beetles off the Rose of Sharon. I'm glad it's far away from my flower bed.
    Last night, I had a bucket of detergent and pulled off the infected petals. This
    morning, I stood on a stool and did the same thing. I took them further away.

I washed rags and towels. Since I spent so much cleaning off the beetles, I
    started later than I wanted in the garage. Another small section is clean and
    the shelving is full of things that were on the floor. I washed window still
    after I vacuumed it.

Poirot, thanks for the information about the beetles.I found some fungicide
    in the garage previous owner left. I did research and you can't spray on
    the beetles because it would hurt other things. Bees can take home to
    their colony. I'm not surprised they are worse this year. I have never had them
    before. Maybe winter wasn't cold enough.

Muzzaman, enjoy your friend's visit. You can only do so much to keep her happy.
    Good luck with your test and interview.

OC, I hope you're having a headache free day.

manda, I hope all the workers came on time so you could get to your dentist appt today.

kt, I'm glad your library has glasses. The public library I work is giving theirs to the
    schools first. Then adults get leftovers if there are any.

Noel, I hope you get everything off your to do list.

rs, I hope your afternoon isn't too crazy with the employees.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day and evening.

Muzzaman, Old Cowgirl, A. Guy and 4 others appreciate this.