9/11/17 - Donuts and Remembrance

Discussion in 'Donuts & ???' started by Just Samantha, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good morning all.

Remembering all those who were lost on this day, 16 years ago. And all those who were forever changed by the tragedy.

That day will always be part of the fabric of our lives. It will forever feel like it just happened, no matter how much time has passed. Yet, it feels so odd to me when kids/teens say they "learned about it in school." It carries no real meaning for them. It's just a passage in their history book.

I hope everyone has a nice day and those in the path of storms stay safe.

EricMSweetie, robinsnest, ktspirit and 11 others appreciate this.
  2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning. Off to school in a few minutes. I have 3 classes this morning, but a nurse will also be doing hearing screenings. It almost doubles my time when I have to trade kids back and forth with someone else. Oh well, I can't change anything since she works for the school administration office.

If possible, folks should try to visit one of the 9/11 memorial sites some time in their lives. The Flight 93 Memorial has left a lasting impression on me. That was before the visitor's center was built, and you could see the wide open expanse of the field with the scarred ground. The wall with the names had just been completed at the time, and the trees planted in memory of each person.

Some nurses from here are preparing to leave for Florida just as they did for Texas. Their pay scale is the same as before. ($90 per hour if they went to Houston, and $52 per hour if they went to any other Texas hurricane area.) This time the $90 per hour is for the big Florida cities, Tampa, Miami, etc. One said it was well worth it to her to take vacation time from the hospital here and risk getting sick or injured there.

EricMSweetie, robinsnest, ktspirit and 9 others appreciate this.
  3. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    May we never forget all those who perished and served on September 11th. True heroes who forever impacted our lives.

[​IMG]

EricMSweetie, robinsnest, IamRed and 3 others appreciate this.
  4. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Red, the nurses are going for paid rotations?! All of us went as unpaid volunteers and no one I met was paid. To me volunteering means a sacrifice of time, heart and skill. I am stunned by this news.

EricMSweetie, robinsnest, ktspirit and 5 others appreciate this.
  5. Wayne

Wayne
    Expand Collapse
    WebHamster

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I've been away for a bit. Can't even stay long now. We've been prepping at work to support Hurricane Harvey and Irma victims, providing training and getting ready to send out people into the field to see how we can help.

Hope everyone made it through ok.

Wayne

EricMSweetie, robinsnest, ktspirit and 8 others appreciate this.
  6. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Blessings, Wayne, for all you are doing to assist the families displaced by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. We miss you.

robinsnest, Wayne, IamRed and 4 others appreciate this.
  7. A. Guy

A. Guy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    JS, it's sad that many of the young people don't seem to be much impressed by the happening of that terrible day. I sometimes wish that the twin-tower site had been left as-is, like that building skeleton in Hiroshima. But that property is, of course, far too valuable to be used as a mere history lesson. :sarcasm:

"Never, never, never, never (forget!) -- W. Churchill

EricMSweetie, robinsnest, ktspirit and 5 others appreciate this.
  8. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess on some level, though, I can understand how they feel. To me, the bombing of Pearl Harbor or the assassination of President Kennedy were just things I learned about in school. Wasn't until later that I was able to grasp the significance of the tragedies.

EricMSweetie, robinsnest, ktspirit and 6 others appreciate this.
  9. Poirot

Poirot
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No different, I guess, than reading in history books about the assassination of John Kennedy, or Robert Kennedy, or World War 2, History books tell the bare facts, those who lived during the times look at it all much differently.

Recently there was a documentary, I think it was 2 hours, which practically went minute by minute with the regular news reports, the sudden interruption with the first plane hitting, the live shots of the 2nd plane, the fires, the people jumping to escape the fires, thumps of them landing, the police and fire fighters, the news from Flight 93 in PA going down. All of it. The orders for all planes in the air to land immediately at nearest airports, every thing grounded, people running off, the debris, the smoke,the havoc, the terror, the bldgs going down. THAT is what the teens should watch to learn about the history.

But heck, we learned of the Revolutionary War, Civil War, the Alamo, etc. etc. in history books...we were not born yet when they occurred, & of course, no news film back then.

God Bless America!

robinsnest, ktspirit, IamRed and 4 others appreciate this.
  10. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That was one of the oddest things for me that day. My boss had a huge window in her office and we'd see planes criss-crossing the sky all day long. It was so weird to look out and see the skies so still.

robinsnest, ktspirit, IamRed and 2 others appreciate this.
  11. mandamiee

mandamiee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good Morning Everyone,

Somber day for sure. I'm always sad on Sept 11th, remembering the lost lives and the feelings of fear that accompanied this day 16 years ago. I was somewhat sheltered during the day as internet access was not allowed (with the exception of a few supervisors) at the job I had then, but the news filtered in just the same.

When I got home and watched the new footage, I just cried for most of the night, in complete shock and horror. I was afraid for my family members in New York and Washington DC. I think today hit me a little harder too because the weather today. At least here is almost identical to what we had 16 years ago.

I can understand why today's kids don't understand. Gena has no idea what happened, I tried to explain it to her a little this morning when she saw the president and first lady on the news and asked why they looked to sad. But she can't fathom how tragic it was as 1) she's too young to understand and 2) she hadn't been born yet to see the profound impact it had on everyone.

Wayne, bless you for helping the storm victims!

Hope everyone has a peaceful day, praying for all in the path of Irma.

12. katmouse

katmouse
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
  13. SHANRICK

SHANRICK
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    I will never forget. I still remember being totally shocked! Looking at the plane hitting the tower over and over again until I was just sick. Heading to work and all of us were just numb. We all cried a lot during the day and prayed for everyone.

Happy belated Birthday Robin and good luck today.

God Bless America.

14. Old Cowgirl

Old Cowgirl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    I can't add anything to what has already been said. The things we live through and witness in real time certainly do leave an impression that can't be understood through history books. Watching the videos can help but they can't fully create the many emotions that all of us were feeling that day, with the shock, initial disbelief, and horror, along with the uncertainty of what the impact would be and what might be ahead. Then came the heartbreaking sadness for those who were lost and their families, as the reality began to sink in. Later, we were still sad, but uplifted by and thankful for the many heroes of that tragic day.

EricMSweetie, robinsnest, ktspirit and 7 others appreciate this.
  15. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Something else I remember is that in the first several days after the attacks, people seemed so much more polite and kind to one another. Even if just encountering a stranger in the store or out on the street. Just felt like we were all united as humans. There were no colors, genders, etc., we were just all people, grieving together and trying to stand strong.

EricMSweetie, Old Cowgirl, robinsnest and 7 others appreciate this.
  16. Daysdegrassi

Daysdegrassi
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good afternoon all,

The weather really is identical to that day 16 years ago. Very strange. The other day while in NY, my friends wanted to go to the 9/11 Memorial there (which I think, along with the Pearl Harbor one in Hawaii, is a must-see for all Americans). An older couple was next to us, and the husband said to his wife "do you remember this guy?" with a fond smile, patting his hand gently on a name engraved on the site. He stood there for a moment, and then walked away. Was very surreal and sad.

And after going up to the observatory of the new building and looking down, just could not imagine how terrible it must have been up in those towers for people to decide jumping was a better option. Just tragic. Bless those poor souls and everyone who helped in the time of need for so many.

G-d Bless America.

And thought I would post this, as the cast of Days sang it shortly after the attacks (all soaps were obviously pre-empted the rest of that week).

A. Guy, EricMSweetie, Old Cowgirl and 8 others appreciate this.
  17. IamRed

IamRed
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone!

It's hard to believe it's been 16 years. I was just a 16 year-old high school junior and until I saw the news in my history class that afternoon I could fathom what had happened. Still couldn't believe it even after seeing the news. I'm twice as old as I was then but still have trouble wrapping my head around it.

A. Guy, EricMSweetie, robinsnest and 7 others appreciate this.
  18. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yesterday, I watched a documentary about a woman who claimed to be a survivor of the Twin Tower attacks. She was heavily involved with survivor support groups, giving tours of the area and becoming generally well-known in NYC for her story. Turns out she fabricated everything. She was actually going to school in Barcelona at the time. Really bizarre story, but a fascinating documentary.

robinsnest, IamRed, Daysdegrassi and 2 others appreciate this.
  19. A. Guy

A. Guy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Without getting too far into conspiracy theory, much of the blame lies with the schools, in my opinion. Considering what we've been seeing on TV, lately, I wonder when the book burnings will begin? :angry: :angry: :angry:

In the meantime, an essentially infinite supply of historical books remain, both non-fiction, and fiction. I can recommend "Andersonville," and "The Naked and the Dead" as a sampler. :)

robinsnest, Noel, IamRed and 2 others appreciate this.
  20. SHANRICK

SHANRICK
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    JS - you're so right on! I too remember how everyone was so friendly and caring, and so ready to reach out a hand to anybody. It felt so good.

EricMSweetie, Noel, IamRed and 5 others appreciate this.