9-18-2017 - Donuts and Service

Noel

Reaction score
My sweet Hubs decided yesterday afternoon he is returning to the Houston area today, with a group of fellow veterans, to serve the elderly vets displaced by Hurricane Harvey. There are quite a few veteran groups trying to clean up, restore, and purchase new furniture/appliances/etc for WWII veterans displaced by the flooding. They left earlier this morning, all 6 of them crammed into an SUV, driving in shifts to be there later today.

Every day of my life, I learn from him (as I did my father) about the sacrifice of service out of love for our fellow Americans. I am so proud, yet so humbled, by their giving up salary, using up all free time, and willing to sleep in the vehicle to help out a fellow veteran. I am sitting here teary eyed and meditative after sending them off with a box of frozen Autumn cookies. Reflecting on the good compassionate hearts of the American people!

Hope your Monday is a smooth one and you have the opportunity to help someone else along the way. It seems there is never a time or citizen without need in our great country. Kudos to all of you for helping others along your way, supporting other causes, and helping your towns collect for disasters like the hurricanes. Your stories fill me with hope for the division that now swirls in our country.

OC: sorry my notes were not clear about 'vet' Hubs. He always states 'everyone would do this' and doesn't want focus on his military history. I still brag on him here once in a while. [wink]

Hope calling and feeding the cattle proves helpful OC. It would be good to know no one is trespassing your land or disturbing your livestock. Plus comforting to know the cattle are safe and secure. Wishing you a great day!

Morning Everyone,

Noel - your husband is a true hero, both from his military days and now as he continues to help in Texas. Blessings to him and his friends who continue to serve.

OC - good luck with your cattle.

This weekend was very stressful. Hubby is slipping deeper into depression since getting let go from the temp job, and I don't know how to help him. He refuses to talk to his doctor about it. I spent most of my spare time putting in applications for him

Then this morning, I find a gosh darn (I know salty language, it would be saltier but I'd get beeped out) vampire bed bug crawling on my neck after I was up and in the bathroom. The thing was the size of a watermelon seed. I've still got heebie jeebies from it. Hubby is calling the exterminator today to schedule him to come back again ASAP.

Ugh, I'm so sick of all this, I could just cry.

Manda: how awful to find new vampire bugs! :eek: Sure hope the pest company can return quickly to spray.

When my Hubs was unemployed, and then accepted the job here, he struggled with being down too. He was embarrassed, I think, that I was the sole provider while he could not secure new employment. He was not open to discussing it with anyone in the family. It passed. So that is my hope for your husband too.

Thinking, praying and hoping you, Gena and your husband experience better days soon.

Manda, I almost cried myself, when I read about your latest bedbug. Dreadful creatures. My heart goes out to your and your husband both on the job/depression thing. We've experienced some of both too. Not fun, but yes, you will get through it. I pray it won't take too long in your case. You've already had to deal with so much.

A cloudy, humid day here.

The past few days, I've been fighting with fruit flies in my house. I sprayed and
smacked. I noticed yesterday the garbage disposal looked bad. I cleaned some
of it and realized I needed to do a better job. I did that this morning. I unplugged
it first. Then I realized I needed to clean dishwasher. When I open it, bugs came
out. The dishwasher line is connected to garbage disposal. So, I cleaned out
stuff in the drain and washed it. Then I ran vinegar through it once then bleach. I
hope it works.

My cat seems better today. I think he wore himself out staying outside at night.
He went out before 4 this morning.The flowerbed had a visitor during the night.

Noel, I wish your hubby and the other veterans safe travels. I hope they will be
able to help the vets who lost their homes.

manda, sorry to hear about more bugs where you live. I wish I could give suggestions
for hubby. Maybe he could walk everyday. It's hard for me sometimes to keep going. At
least, he has you and Gena. Maybe he and Gena can do a project or take walks together.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day.

Good afternoon. My landlord has been doing some much needed repairs on the outside of my house. It's a good thing for me, but a bad thing for Remmy, LOL. She has been driving me a bit crazy!

There are quite a few veteran groups trying to clean up, restore, and purchase new furniture/appliances/etc for WWII veterans displaced by the flooding.

My first thought was that your husband was a veteran. I would like to know how many WW2 veterans are still alive in the Houston area. They would have to be in their 80s or 90s.

Hubby is calling the exterminator today to schedule him to come back again ASAP.

Would it do any good to keep exterminating without exterminating the source? LOL

Kat: fruit flies are pesky little critters! I use the Plow & Hearth fruit shaped catchers from their website They work! And look pretty on your counter top. They come in apple or pineapple: http://www.plowhearth.com/handmade-crackle-glass-apple-fruit-fly-trap.htm.

So glad your cat is feeling better but very curious about just which critter is nesting in your flowerbeds at night. Wishing you a great evening.

KT: the WWII vets are in the 90's, some near 100. Most have no one to look after them because either their children live across the globe/country, or they have outlived their spouses. They are too frail to lift, sort, move furniture, drywall, etc and their pensions do not cover replacing all these items. Several veteran groups started organizing teams before Harvey moved towards Louisiana. It is a bigger job than I expected but I do not know the actual number of vets in that area.

So glad your landlord is doing work on your house! Now that makes for a good day/week.

Morning all.

Started the day at the doctor. Thought the appointment first thing in the morning, which would mean he'd be on time. Hahahahahaha, joke's on me. Anyway, 3 x-rays of my foot and I have arthritic changes in my left ankle. Shocking. And that is why my gait has changed, so I have a plan of attack for my foot. Exercises and other stuff to try for 6 weeks then back to see him to see if it is better. If not, off to get orthotic inserts made. Yippee.

Noel - it is people like your husband who truly make us a great country.

Manda - <bad words + more bad words> regarding your vampire bugs.

kt - hang in there. Remmy, it's almost over. You will be okay.

Back to work. I'll try to get back.

kt - the exterminator sprays upstairs and downstairs. And while I'd like to get rid of the tenant, and all his weird friends, it won'd necessarily get rid of the bugs. We know for a fact he has not brought in new furniture. He literally has 1 collapsible camping chair, dining room table and 2 chairs, and 2 dressers as his only furniture. I still fully intend to have him leave, I just can't do it until hubby is working again.

kat - glad your kitty is feeling better. I wonder if you have a problem with a squirrel? I notice them digging in my flower beds and hanging baskets this time or year trying to hide nuts for winter.

Hubby fairs better when he has a project. He was doing okay over the summer when he fussed in the veggie garden and working to kill the bugs. Then he went back to work for almost 3 weeks and seemed to be doing much better.

But then when they ended the contract on Thursday, the depression set in again. Today he seems to be slightly better now that we've discovered the vampire bugs again. It's given him a project. I just talked to him. He's working on trying to remove the blood stains from the mattress protectors. :rolleyes: Whatever makes him feel better, I guess.

manda, can you send husband here? He can work on the critter in the flowerbed
and the fruit flies. Someone thinks critter is a armadillo and suggested getting
a cage. I can see myself doing that. NOT

Noel, what do you put inside the fruit catchers? I got something at Walmart,
It has gotten a few. The kitchen is better, but too many still flying around.

robin, good luck on your new exercises.

Last edited:
Mandy.......the Sunday paper had a huge article on getting rid of bedbugs yourself, to save money on exterminators. It is exhausting just to read.....but....there is some product to buy, a sort of dust/or dirt......but first..........you have to launder everything (and I know you already did this) but seal the items in plastic bags, then you are supposed to vacuum every nook and cranny in the house, including outlets, every crack or crevice, upstairs, down, etc. Steam clean all rugs. And then, after you drop dead from exchaustion (am being sarcastic) you are to spread this stuff around everywhere,will not harm food, children, pets, etc. And leave it for 3 weeks, before you vacuum it up. Just seems to me, more worth while to get the exterminator in. The way the article described it

Holy cow, I looked for the article online, and found it.........LOL...

https://www.everydaycheapskate.com/home-and-family/dont-let-bedbugs-bite/#more-16488

I might try that next, but they aren't in one spot. There are some in living room, my office.
I need to see if Dollar General sells that. There's one close by.

there is some product to buy, a sort of dust/or dirt.
I'll have to read the article, thanks for sharing. Yes, I've washed everything and we are still living out of tied trash bags (thank heavens for Downy Wrinkle Release or whatever brand it is). We've done the vacuuming, outlets & light switches (I even removed the face plates), window sills & frames, cracks in the paneling, etc.

We have that dust too. It's made of ground up shells and coral, harmless to people, but the sharp edges of the dust cut the bed bug bellies, although I can't tell if it really helped or not. We've fogged, powdered, sprayed, vacuumed (rinse, wash, repeat.) However I can't say that I've done all this upstairs, I just don't have the time. Maybe I should put that on hubby's to do list, as well as getting the carpets steam cleaned. I can honestly say we haven't done that recently.

That being said, the exterminator is scheduled to come over on Thursday to spray and fog again.

Kat - I usually cut a soda bottle in half, put some sugar water and dish soap in the bottom, invert the top and duct tape it the seam. It seems to catch the fruit flies as well as bees and wasps.

kat......I bought the fly paper stuff at WalMart.....there are 4 in a pkg. I don't remember price.

Back