9-20-17 - Donuts and Star Light, Star Bright

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
Good morning! When I went to bed it was still thundering around in different directions. We did finally get over half an inch of rain before bedtime. I didn't get to bed until midnight, then tossed and turned, got up at 4:00 and looked out to a sky full of bright stars! I'm going to go back to bed soon. Still too tired to start the day. Wishing all of you a good one.

Good Morning.

It is cooler this morning than it has been in over 7 months! The sky is clear, stars brightly shining, and a few birds lightly singing as the pre-dawn light begins to shine.

Today is an ordinary day filled with errands before/after work hours. Kiddos are ready for it to be Friday already. What else is new? [wink] Talking with folks back home in Indy who are headed out to some of the first Fall activities this weekend.

OC: At first I thought it was a special day for me then realized the date was wrong. I have done that too when half-asleep, partly awake, and sleep deprived. Hope you are finishing a nice long nap right now.

Looking forward to reading all my friends posts throughout the day. Take care and have some fun too.

Good morning......woke at around 4 a.m. myself, lightning like crazy out there, no thunder. Did rain a bit, not much so far, still overcast, grey skies, etc. Also tossed, turned, dozed off for 10 minutes, woke up, tossed some more, finally fell asleep, but already was after 6. At least got another hr. I don't know why I wake up after just 5 hrs all the time. I cannot take a nap, and then am sooo tired constantly. LOL, I think it catches up, & I fall asleep at 7:30/8 p.m. sometimes. (not that I don't wake up, wide awake and unable to get back. Such is life these days.

no stars, moon, just worrying about packing up stuff, throwing away stuff, and knowing I won't be able to find a place for some things, and no idea what to do with them.

Poirot: Sorry insomnia keeps stalking you in the midst of all the work & stress you are handling now. Yes, I remember about choosing what to keep, what to give away, what to discard, and where it will all fit at the new place. Our home in Indy was two-story and much larger than our ranch style home here. What I do know is that you are a smart, determined and organized woman who will make the best choices possible and adjust to your new lifestyle. Sure wish your day improves!

Good morning everyone.

I'm home again today. Fever has come down a bit more, but still have the dizziness and congestion. I got some sleep last night between all of the coughing.

After having fall come 2 months early, our daily temps are way above normal, and back up in the 80s. This is just crazy.

Poirot, I don't envy you having to do all of the sorting and packing for the move.

OC, your starry sky sounds beautiful. Light pollution is slowly encroaching here, and I'm afraid that I soon won't be able to see much.

Noel, the corn mazes and pumpkin patches are open here. One has a new pumpkin cannon to shoot them at an old van. If you get one through a window, you win a prize.

Squirrel: I am relieved to know you are staying home again. Also glad to read you did get some sleep even if interrupted by coughing spots. Just love the midwest corn mazes and pumpkin patches! And some farmers would put "chuckers" out for folks to hurl the unsellable/misshapen pumpkins. It was so much fun! Hope the prizes are tasty homemade goodies. Rest up friend and keep healing.

It's another summer day here. It was in the 70s at 6AM. It may get over 90 later.

Unless something changes the next couple of days, I'm going to bug "bomb"
the house on Sat. I won't be home most of the day so I can do it then. There
are a few bugs here and there. Not as bad as yesterday, but I'm tired of the
ones in bedroom and office. I'll see how the week goes. I hope the AC can
be on. It's going to be in the 80s that day. I'm wondering if the bugs came
because it's been so warm lately.

Today I'm taking Goldie to the vet. I hope he can figure out why she won't
stop chewing on herself. She's chewed off a lot of hair on her bottom.

OC, I hope you got back to sleep and glad you got some rain.

Poirot, good luck on sorting and packing. I give a lot of things I don't need
to Goodwill. They make money in their shop. Does your church have
a bazaar during the year?

Noel, enjoy your cooler day.

rs, feel better soon.

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

Kat: the bug bomb sounds like a good idea. If the bugs don't die/leave before then, at least you will be out of the house the. Thinking of Goldie and hope the vet gives you a good report .

Good morning all. Haven't been on much in the last 5 days or so but have read posts when I can.

OC - I also tossed and turned for a few hours because when I go to bed my legs all of sudden just twitch. Like a bit of a build up then a twitch so often times this keeps me up for a bit. So annoying.

Noel - It has been cooler here as well. Typical Calgary weather. It is 31*C (87.8F) one day then BAM daytime highs of around 10*C (50*F), just like that. Then it will likely go up again for a few days. We had some frost the other night.

Poirot - If I had a nap after work or around when you had one, I would have a hard time falling asleep as well. I cannot drink coffee past 4:00pm anymore.

RS - Hope you start feeling better. You'll be happy to know that your package is on it's way today so I'll be excited to hear when it arrives. Just in time for a new hockey season to start.

Katmouse - Oh Kat, that so sad. I hope they find out why too. Many dogs do this for a variety of reasons I've heard, bugs, stress, so I hope it all works out. We recently dognapped our friends 4 month old Bearnese/Poodle cross and was the biggest and cutest 4 puppy I've ever seen.

I've heard of more buildings that were destroyed by the Waterton fires also burned the horse stables which was very popular for tourists to take a trail ride up in the mountains. Heard of another family that lost their barn and all their recently cut hay, which this year is so very dry.

Our hardwood floors were installed yesterday and am very pleased with the flow of the main floor. It has given the den another layer of warmth. Now we are going to look for blinds, shutters, or curtains for the window in there. It has to be light blocking because the tv is across from it and get quite the glare.

On Sunday I was stung by a wasp on my forearm which led to quite a bit of swelling. Monday morning I went to work and left not well, feeling dizzy, nausea, headache and didn't even think of the wasp bite. By the end of Monday my forearm had swelled some more and so so itchy. I finally saw the pharmacist who advised I get to the clinic right away for potential allergies or infection. Turns out my arm is infected and had started swelling up to my elbow so I'm now on horse antibiotics, well they are the size of horse pills 4 x's a day plus antihistamine.

Also over the weekend, on a whim I decided to audition for a show that I really didn't want to audition for. My husband convinced me to due to the close proximity of our place and where rehearsals will be held and that I said I probably wouldn't do theatre again after we moved cause we moved so far away. I knew these auditions were happening and I did not go to them when they were being last Friday BUT on Sunday I received an email again that they were holding auditions that day so I had an hour to prepare a song and get there.

Turns out I was late but at the end of auditions so I sang To Dream the Impossible Dream a cappella. I received a phone call later that day asking if I would return for call backs this Friday night. The play you ask? Mary Poppins and the role that Dick Van Dyke played. I really didn't want to do family shows and no offense @Heather4CU didn't want to do Disney. I was also really enjoying the more adult shows and humour that I had done in the last few years but I'm not doing anything so I'm going in with the attitude that I just want to sing and have fun so my fingers are crossed I am successful in getting that part because after watching the songs on YouTube, I just might be starting to look forward to it.

Have a great day everyone.

Muzza, do you think the restless legs could be somehow linked to that wasp sting? A radio doctor mentioned trying calcium with magnesium (OTC) for restless leg syndrome.

Wish I had installed hardwood floors before moving in! It would be next to impossible to do it now.

I love shutters, especially the wide-slatted ones! I have a feeling that a nice installation would be kind of expensive, though. Using wide Venetian blinds, now; am used to them.

I will be having a medium-stressful medical day today; will be glad when It's over!

By the way, Meijer's had some contraband Dial soap; I have two bars. :)

Have a good day, all!

Morning All,

Mid 60's right now and super humid. Supposed to get into the 80's again today.

After making dinner last night, I decided to just watch TV and play on my tablet, in between helping Gena with her math homework. It was so nice to just have a night off. That means I'll have double duty tonight, but I needed a night to just chill.

Muzz - wow, you've been busy. I hope your arm is better soon. I wish I had a passport. I think I'd take vacation to drive up and see you play Bert. I love Mary Poppins.

OC - hope you managed to get back to sleep.

Poirot - here's hoping you get a good night's sleep soon. I'm sure all the stress of the upcoming move isn't helping.

Noel - your sky sounds beautiful in the morning.

RS - glad you are staying home again to rest and recover.

kat - hope Goldie is okay. We had a collie with I was really little who had severe separation anxiety (we got her from my great-grandma when she moved to assisted living). The anxiety caused her to pull out clumps of fur too.

Happy Wednesday!!

Our WalMart had a lot of Dial bars the other day. I got a 3 pack. The thing with the packing is, I really will have nowhere to "store" anything I would want to give to Goodwill....I can take some things into town to Salvation Army, but they are very picky about what they take. Want to know how much Christmas decorations I have? LOL. My friends all have more than enough, my kids live too far away, shipping is very expensive anyway. I have tons of family pictures in frames and will have nowhere to display. Same goes for paintings hung on the walls. Just really upsetting, don't want to throw away. Gosh, one does accumulate so much "stuff". LOL

Muzza, that Mary Poppins role sounds like so much fun. Bert was a great character, I love the "Step in Time" number. Saw a clip where Dick Van Dyck, aged as he is, was sitting in a big lunch room with a couple of friends. Don't know if it was a high school, factory, or what, but he suddenly burst into song from the movie. Everyone just loved that. :)

The vet thinks Goldie is allergic to her food. I guess dogs are like people and overtime bodies
change. She's been getting Pedigree. I think I bought beef flavor last time. Since it's
time to buy more dog food, I'll see what I can find at Walmart. He gave me some allergy
pills to help stop the itching.

Muzzaman, good luck with the call back. I hope your arm gets better soon.

Poirot, too bad you can't send your decorations to the hurricane areas. I'm sure
a lot families would like them.

My son started raising bees this past summer, harvested his first crop, and made big batches of honey. I know nothing about this, but do know the 2 hives were way in the back of his yard. So yesterday he posted a video....seems he missed a 1/2 frame of honey when he harvested, and was gone, returned home to find the bees had invaded his garage. Gad they were all over the place. He commented he had to get out of there before they stung him. There was a small table outside, with a big container of something.....don't know if it was paint, caulk, or what, but they were all over that. He is perplexed.

Tried to bring copy the video, let's see if it worked.........Nope...........

kat - I sure hope it is an allergy, that's easy enough to fix.

Poirot - I remember my aunt helping my grandma go through her stuff when she moved from one apartment to another safer apartment. Grandma cried at the thought of getting rid of some things, but just had no where to go with the stuff, and really had no need for it. Like the dresser drawer full of my grandpa's pajamas and undershirts. He had passed 10-15 years before she moved. It's very emotional as all the items carry so many memories.

Glad to see a lot of posts. I got back in bed twice before daylight and couldn't go back to sleep. I'm really dragging now, may try again after lunch. Sun comes up here at 7:25 now. It is going to reach 100* again today, then a very gradual drop each day until we are down to a high of 88* by Monday!

Muzz, I hope your arm is better soon. Dratted wasps! I had to laugh at "horse pills." That's one of those terms that I used to hear a lot and hadn't realized I never hear it anymore.

A. Guy, here's wishing your medical day to be as painless and low-stress as possible.

Kat, I'm glad Goldie doesn't have any bad disease. Not that allergies are fun for people or animals. Hope you can find the right food for her.

Squirrel, down is the right direction for the fever but it sounds like you still have a ways to go with overall symptoms. God bless!

Poirot, I hope your son can get his bees under control. They'll settle down somewhere when cold weather arrives. I'm pretty sure I have a hive in an old water tank in my backyard. They've been hovering over the wildlife's watering pan right below it.

Manda, you sure were due a night to relax!

Noel, you were right, I was half asleep when I started the thread. (Am even worse now). Didn't even know I put the wrong date. Glad someone changed it.

AGuy: California shutters are my favorite but they are expensive. Enjoy your contraband soap. Hope the medical stress today is much less than expected for you. May your evening be peaceful.

Manda: Bravo for taking a chill last night. You more than deserved it and tonight will be easier because of it. Plus you are teaching Gena to care for herself in a balanced way.

Poirot: ewww bees in the garage. Thanks for trying to post your sons video because it sounds so interesting. Thinking of all that honey, yum.

Kat: it is a relief Goldie has allergies because they are treatable. Good luck switching foods. Hope it works quickly.

OC: smiling just reading you tried to get more sleep. So sorry the rest eluded your grasp. Maybe a nap. Fingers crossed.

Back to a busy workday as break is over now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon. It's been a relatively quiet day, except when the neighbor mowed my grass. Remmy now has anxiety attacks when she hears that sound. She has also been shaking her head, a possible ear infection. She has had some allergies in the past, but there is no foul smell like ear mites cause. More below.

I'm going to bug "bomb"
the house on Sat.

I have found if I remove the rotten fruit/vegetables, the fruit flies go away (or die). Could one of your pets have hidden something you haven't found?

The vet thinks Goldie is allergic to her food

I give Remmy children's generic Benadryl sometimes. It is a chewable tablet and she likes it. I keep it on hand.

Take care.

Back