9-30-17 - Donuts and Less Light

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I thought Donuts would've been started long ago.

It is staying dark so long in the morning, and getting dark quicker at night. I can't believe it will be time to change the clocks in a month. I'm ahead of the game for battery updates. I changed the batteries in my smoke detectors, CO2 detector, clocks, and remotes this morning because something kept beeping during the night. Then another one started around 4:00 AM. GRRRR It was easier just to change all of the batteries now instead of trying to remember which ones were done. The only thing I'll have to do later is change the time on 3 clocks. Everything else will update the time by themselves.

Yes, I change the batteries in all of the remotes twice a year, too. It is easier than picking up a remote that doesn't work. My kitchen tv will only work by remote. There are no power, channel, or volume buttons anywhere on the tv. The 2 Roku streaming devices that I have also only work through the remotes.

I'm off to the post office now to get a box in the mail.

Goodbye September, Hello October tomorrow!

It is a lazy morning for me. I actually slept until 7am!! Yesterday was a wonderful birthday filled with nice surprises. My sister & hubby surprised me by taking the kiddos to the downtown Science Exhibit so Hubs and I could have a nice "quiet and romantic dinner" together. Perfect! Afterwards, we were B-U-S-Y before picking up our pint-size prodigy. This morning my sis was up at 4am for her flight to Europe.

In Phoenix, nothing changes for the seasons. Cactus and desert look the same 24/7 unless a rare storm appears for 5 minutes. It will be 100F today, full sun, cloudless sky, and chance of dust storm tonight. Still, eventually it has to be under 80 here sometime. Sometime, with Robins' permission, I keep reminding myself! At least inside my house there are fake Autumn leaves, branches, pumpkins and an array of gourds. I scent the home with Slatkin wax melts, gel meltables, and candles! Awesome.

Squirrel: like your namesake, you are a very busy person for a Saturday morning! Kudos on your pre-planning and preparations ahead of schedule. Hope you have time to relax and enjoy the beauty of Fall before an earlier sunset tonight.

Poirot: thinking of you as you did not post in Donuts yesterday. Hope you are feeling strong and healthy and making progress on your long list of pre-moving organization.

Take care everyone and enjoy your Saturday!

Hi everyone!

Rs, you've had a very productive morning.

Noel, sounds like you had a wonderful birthday.

My bird is being really weird this morning. She keeps hanging on the front of the cage. There's nothing out of the ordinary in her cage so I guess she just wants my attention.

I'm waiting on my husband to get off work so we can decide what to have for lunch and then I need to start getting ready for work.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Good morning, I've been kept up late at night a lot lately so have fallen into an undesirable trend of being up late (and not always staying asleep then), and then sleeping late. This morning after breakfast I spent some time trying to kill what looked like a black widow that was dangling from the eaves over my deck. I couldn't reach it with my zapper but I finally found some bug spray that would reach far enough. It's so strange (but nice) that I didn't see a one of those awful creatures all summer, and now that cooler weather is here, one appears! They usually like hot, dry summers.

Noel, I'm so glad you had such a nice birthday! Good for you, keeping up your spirits with the fall decorations in your desert dwelling.

Squirrel, I wish I could be as disciplined and staying ahead of the game the way you do. I never change batteries in things like remotes until it's unavoidable. Fortunately, ours go for years without running down. My tv also does not have any buttons or switches, just the remote. But husband's has buttons on the back, which is not a good thing. The Dish techs set it all up to work with the Dish remote ONLY. They said not to use anything else, not even the tv buttons.

Well, the husband somehow has it fixed in his head to use the buttons on the tv, so a couple of years ago he was doing that and got it so messed up, I had to spend hours on the phone with technicians trying to get it working again. So I put duct tape over the buttons and explained what the tech had said about using the remote. But it wasn't too long before he had torn off the tape and was using the buttons. I remind him every time I see him doing it, and he does use the remote most of the time but he still turns it off or on with the buttons on the tv from time to time. I hold my breath whenever I see him doing it. He doesn't take kindly to me reminding him not to do it.

Good morning, IamRed. It seems like you work ALL of the time! Hope it goes easy for you today.

The dreaded finally came. I have lost my broadband internet for good this time. I've been using my hot spot for a week now and was almost out of time with it so my son got online last night and got me some extra data temporarily. It turns out I can get a plan with unlimited time on my hot spot. That's what I'm going to do but my son is checking out a couple of other companies to see if they serve this area and to find out how they compare with my Verizon. He's also going to install a booster for me so my hot spot won't always be losing the signal and it might even be faster than what I've been using. That all remains to be seen.

Red: your bird definitely sounds like he wants your attention. A little chatter time? Sure hope your work day is a smooth one.

OC: your connection issues sound ongoing and frustrating. Bless your sons heart for researching and helping you find a better source. The black widows are still abundant here too. I killed two this week on the front porch alone. Hope you get some rest tonight.

Morning all.

Busy day here. Not that you'd know given my late start. Finally figured I'd finish my book. Since I didn't have a have to be up anytime today, so I read till a little after 2 this morning. Slept till 9.

A co-worker's husband passed last month, so Hunny Bunny, Mr. Gus and I will be driving to Sacramento next weekend to attend the services. After looking at the cost of plane tickets and a resort stay for Mr. Gus, driving made sense. We are taking my car up and then renting a car for the drive home. That way, when my vacation starts the next weekend, I'll fly up. So clothing and costumes all need to be ready to go next week.

Noel, I am quite tired of the triples. I'd be quite happy with 80's. I am enjoying the cooler temps at night.

OC, good luck with your connection issues.

Red, is your bird sensitive to weather changes?? Maybe it is just lonely and wants more attention???

Off to the wonderful world of shoe shopping, for a costume, but heck at these prices, they need to last more than one day.

Finally back home, and having lunch. If you have a Big Lots card, this is the day to shop since you get an automatic 20% off your entire purchase. If you wait until tomorrow, you need a coupon with your card.

I loaded up on batteries, got some baking supplies, new kitchen shears, a Christmas door mat, Christmas tree decorations, and a 3 quart ceramic lined pot.

Noel - I'd have a hard time if I moved somewhere that didn't have 4 seasons like here in PA. I'd definitely take your not changing clocks twice a year.

Red - I hope you have a good day at work. The crazies are out today. People were fighting at Big Lots and in line at the Post Office. Geez, grown women fighting because one wanted a red comforter and the other one already had the last one in her cart. The first one tried to take it out of the second one's cart while she was looking at sheets.

OC - It has to be so hard to run your cattle ranch, keep house, cook, and run a long way for errands while your husband is declining. Thank goodness your son is trying to get a better internet deal for you. (Hmmmm...the last administration raised taxes/surcharge on our residential phones, cellphones, and internet to expand affordable internet to the entire country by 2015. Nope, that didn't happen, but the extra charges keep going up.)

Robin - Do tell us about the costumes.

Good morning everyone. It's a cool semi sunny day! We had a little rain yesterday and it felt so good!!! Had to have a nap yesterday afternoon, that rarely happens, so the girls and I curled up in the big chair in the family room with their blanket and had a little snooze. You haven't lived until you nap with two little Chihuahuas. They curl up next to and on top of you under the blanket and lay there like a couple of rocks, they just don't move. :) I'm glad that I only have two. Don't know what I'd do without them. They love the big recliner!!

Noel, so sorry that I missed your birthday so a Happy Belated Birthday to you!!! :love:

OC, your night time sleeping hours sound like mine. I just don't fight it anymore and life is much more bearable! Hope you get your TV issues fixed soon.:rolleyes:

RS, sounds like you're feeling a lot better now. I sure hope so!:love:

IamRed and robinsnest hope you have a great day.

Hugs to you all.

So I put duct tape over the buttons
I had to do this to keep my grandkids from getting creative with the buttons. I was without the tv for 6 months until I finally decided I would have to have a technician come out to the house to fix it! This was several years ago, and I just removed the tape a few weeks ago. :rotfl:

I didn't have the best morning doing errands today and I stayed too long at
library. I won't do that next Sat. I'll leave things for the Mon volunteer.
Goldie and I didn't have an early walk and it was too warm when we
finally got out later.

rs, sounds like you had an interesting shopping experience at Big Lots.

OC, good luck with your internet. Too bad Dish doesn't have internet
with their system.

Noel, I'm glad you had a nice birthday.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Good afternoon all, I am so tired, just tooooo much to do, way too much. Been awake since 4:30 a.m., fell asleep last night around 9:30. But hate the waking up in middle of night. Been packing some things, loading the car, paying a couple bills, tossing junk, putting stuff in car, so after church tomorrow I can take in and put away.

Trying to deal with hubby, who keeps telling folks I am so active, have more energy, etc. I just don't complain like he does. I did a bit of bookwork, have lots more, have to pay bills, and worry about dinner, I have not shopped in ages, should do that tomorrow as well, and I get tired and depressed just thinking about it all.

Sorry I was not around much yesterday, My only rest period when I watch Days. LOL

Noel, a Belated Happy Birthday, am so glad you had such a lovely day, and got some alone time with hubby.

I need to just do NOTHING for a while. Wish I was able to nap. I have laundry I did not do this past week, Just too many things to do, and thus I am forgetting, delaying, etc. Better stop this whining, or I will be in tears. Take care all.

Someone here was having a problem with fruit flies or gnats. A friend just reposted the video that I had been looking for. I do the vinegar with plastic wrap. I'm not wasting wine on those bugs.

I just added a bit of oregano to my apple bowl, too.

Robin: I will toast to 80F starting this week! Enjoy your shopping and try to stay cool out there today.

Squirrel: good busy! No Big Lots on our side of town, bummer. Why do people always fight at the post office? It happens at ours almost weekly. Sure hope your evening is peaceful.

Newt: thank you for the birthday wishes. As for "hot rocks", our big dogs try to squeeze in the recliners with us. Glad you have these faithful friends to share your life.

KT: my favorite past time, since childhood, remains enjoying outdoor nature. Thanks for the photo so I can daydream about sitting beneath that tree reading a book.

Lil0: you are a smart grandmother because they recommended we do that with our toddlers too.

Kat: wishing you and Goldie a cool and lovely evening.

Poirot: wishing you more restful times very soon. Just know we are here to listen, support you, and never criticize!! Sure hope tomorrow goes smoothly as you put items away at your new place and you rest once back home. Your husband sounds grateful and proud of you. Hugs

rs, thanks for posting the video. It's been a couple of days since I've
seen any bugs.

Poirot, when is your big moving day? Will you be needing help posting
the daily summaries?

Kt, are the yellow flowers goldenrod? Is that a swing in the background or part of an old gate or what? It fits right in with the nature scene.

Poirot, I put a lawn chair in my new, empty storage building. This afternoon I went out there and sat for a few minutes, just to be alone in a place where I couldn't be called upon for anything. It felt good. Maybe when you take some things to your new place in town tomorrow you could sit down, if only for ten minutes, and soak up some solitude, without all of the things back at your house being in your face and calling for your attention.

RS - your crazies are out here in Arizona too. Oh my goodness, I had a guy in a fancy car take a turn too fast in the parking lot and almost hit me while I was unloading the cart in to my car. Then, after almost pinning me against my car, he YELLS at me for being in his way!!!! I just shook my head at him and ignored his cursing.

Then the trip to Michael's craft store, that parking lot was a zoo, but I expected that. They were having a craft day where kids could decorate pumpkins. One little girl about 4 was having a meltdown because she wanted an orange one. No, a blue/teal one. No, the white one. I wished her mother good luck and went inside where I sadly did not have any luck. I purchased some things but I think they won't blend in. So I may just buy them in other places, not for what I originally planned.

Poirot - I wish I could help you. Downsizing is very difficult and stressful. You have my prayers.

OC - that is a wise, simple but wonderful solution to distress. If you can't have a few minutes outdoor at the lake, this sounds like a great option.

Robin - that is why I never shop Michael's on a sale day. It is like a Wal-Mart sale: an invitation for chaos. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys, I have a feeling that if you all lived near me, you'd be around at least one day to give a hand. Bless you all. Today my granddaughter got married in Austin, Texas, and of course, I could not be there. Hubby completely forgot, even tho I mentioned it 5 min. before he called our daughter to see how Houston was faring after the hurricane. He was shocked to learn she was in Austin, and the wedding.

@kat.......yes, I am am going to need a great deal of help with the summaries. From oct. 15-30. My daughters are coming separately, one each week, to help with the moving, and I am thinking/planning for oct. 25 for THE day, but there is so much other stuff to do. Hubby is trying to help, but really, causes more problems. LOL, he doesn't want to throw anything away, despite my noting it should be.

Anyway, I really do need folks to step up, and help with those summaries, I will not be able to do them, I doubt I will even be able to watch.

Poirot, I'm so glad your daughters are coming to help. Even though it still leaves a LOT for you to do on your own, their help will make a big difference. Congratulations to your granddaughter. So sorry you couldn't be there for the wedding. I know how it is to miss out on the special things in their lives.

Back