9/7/17 - Donuts and Rain

Discussion in 'Donuts & ???' started by Just Samantha, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good morning everyone!

It's raining and dreary outside my window. I think it's going to be another long pants, sweatshirt and socks day.

Last evening, my little tween buddy, her mom and aunt stopped by with a big pot of soup. They stayed and we played a couple of board games. She loves nothing more than getting together to play games. It's nice that a kid her age enjoys doing that, over playing video games.

We had a good time. And of course, Queen Bee assumed they were all here to see her.

I hope everybody has a nice day and stays safe from the storms.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, katmouse and 6 others appreciate this.
  2. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning all,

Last night another dust storm and 108F temp made it a sweltering day. Today should be the same but with higher humidity. I am so tired of wearing tee shirt, shorts and sandals. A 40% chance of some rain keeps me hopeful.

Thursdays are a light schedule usually so we should have some nice family time tonight. That is one of my favorite things.

Thinking of all in Irma's path and lifting up prayers for all your safety.

Shan, hope you are safe in the fire burn triangle. Take care everyone.

JS, your evening sounded like good fun, even if the Queen stole the show (wink).

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, katmouse and 6 others appreciate this.
  3. redsquirrel

redsquirrel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning everyone. I'm not feeling so great because of all this rain. (Wish we could send it out west to help with the fire fighting.) My lawn guy mulched leaves for the third time yesterday. He usually doesn't do this until the end of October. Mother Nature is definitely out of sync.

I have 2 preschools today. At least they're both within 10 minutes of the office so I don't have far to go.

Besides the trucks that went to Texas yesterday with pet and farm animal supplies, my town has filled 3 more semis and started on a fourth. Those are being held back with 2 each designated for Florida and the northwest fire area when safe to deliver.

JS - You're blessed to have good friends.

Noel - I may gripe about the rain here, but I'll take it over your dust storms every time.

#3 redsquirrel, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Daysdegrassi, IamRed, A. Guy and 7 others appreciate this.
  4. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    RS: gotta love the generous hearts of your townspeople! All across this country Americans in perilous weather paths know help is coming from their country's citizens. Thanks for all you are giving. Enjoy your day.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, katmouse and 3 others appreciate this.
  5. Poirot

Poirot
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good dreary morning here as well. That gloomy weather must be a pretty big cell, for sure. Couple days ago the forecast was supposed to be sunshine today. Oh, well. A nice, chilly 47 in town, so the radio says, however we are 53. (lake keeps us a bit warmer, until it freezes, then we are colder, lol)

My son left yesterday a.m., I have been trying to clear out the old, old, files that have accumulated for years. A shredding company will be coming here to shred. Wish I had a burning barrel, but alas.....The lake has gotten quieter as all the Labor Day weekend campers, vacationers, etc. are gone. Fishing was tough, I understand, as the weather was so up, down, back & forth. Weird. Have a good day, my friends.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, katmouse and 5 others appreciate this.
  6. Old Cowgirl

Old Cowgirl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning. I'm surprised and happy to see so many comments already this morning. I only checked in to start the thread if nobody had. I have to get busy now. I'm pretty excited that the very large storage building I ordered is arriving today--a week earlier than expected! The plan is to empty out the horrible mess that is in the garage/shop, clean up what is good and put it in the storage building, which will have good doors and windows to keep out the varmints. A lot of old junk will get thrown out. I have to get out and make sure the path is clear for the delivery. Have a good day, everyone.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, A. Guy and 6 others appreciate this.
  7. Old Cowgirl

Old Cowgirl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    I forgot to say it is 55* here this morning! Brrrrr......

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, katmouse and 5 others appreciate this.
  8. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Poirot: I smiled at your mentioning a burn barrel as we always used one in Indy. The shredding companies are great when you have big volumes of paperwork to dispose. Enjoy your pretty lake now that the vacationers are gone and Autumn beauty begins to display.

OC: that is good news that your new shed us arriving early. Now hopefully your sorting process goes easier than expected as the evicted varmints look for a new home far away from your place. :)

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, katmouse and 2 others appreciate this.
  9. mandamiee

mandamiee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Morning Everyone,

Well, hubby and I decided to spray for the bugs again, evict the tenant, and replace the water heater. With the cost of the water heater, we don't want to have to spend the money to do the heat treatment. While effective and guaranteed, it's just more than we can afford at the moment. Had we found more bugs, we may have gone with the heat thing. But since there are only a few, we think this should work.

And I had the temp wrong. They heat the house to 130* not 150*, but I still don't want to really have time to hunt for every stray crayon or candle in the house to make sure it doesn't melt into the carpet.

Tonight we have Girl Scouts. The girls were supposed to be hiking tonight, but we rain in the forecast it looks like we'll start our bug unit tonight, then hike and finish the bug badge next time.

JS - glad you had fun with your tween and her family. :)

Poirot - good luck with the shredding, and minimizing of stuff.

RS - wow, your community is amazing.

OC- glad your shed will arrive soon, so you can hopefully get rid of the critters.

Happy Thursday!

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, A. Guy and 3 others appreciate this.
  10. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Manda: your decision sounds sound, wise and practical. Once the tenant is evicted perhaps no more bed bugs will appear but if not, you can opt for the heating method at that time. Enjoy the Girl Scout's meeting tonight on bug patrol. Hope you & Gena [and all the girls] learn new skills, science and have a fun time too.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, katmouse and 2 others appreciate this.
  11. robinsnest

robinsnest
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Morning all.

Burn barrels. Growing up in the suburbs of Los Angeles, we had an incinerator in our back yard. Yes, in the late 50's, in that dirty air town, we burned our garbage. WHAT WERE WE THINKING???? But then we did have less garbage as things were triple wrapped for you protection. Meat wasn't on a Styrofoam tray, but wrapped in paper. Okay, moving on.

I have come down with a serious case of the fall allergies?? I have no idea what is going on but I have no voice (which is great when you do phone support) and last night I managed to wake myself up twice by coughing. Took some cough syrup. Stopped coughing but had pains like I used to have when my now deceased gall bladder was around. So I won't try that one again. Hopefully I won't cough tonight.

OC and Poirot: good luck on the storage shed and the professional shredders. I have a shed in a box in the garage waiting to be assembled. And a 10x10 storage unit that needs a shredding company but Hunny Bunny will get to that when time allows.

Off to a busy day. I'll try to check back in a bit.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, Old Cowgirl and 3 others appreciate this.
  12. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It was a nice evening. I like that she'd rather sit around a table playing old school board games over being on a computer or glued to her phone.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, robinsnest and 3 others appreciate this.
  13. ktspirit

ktspirit
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good chilly morning. When I got up, it was 58* F. I was digging out sweatpants and a sweatshirt to layer over my shorts and tank top. I've already shed the sweatshirt. The high will be 83* F today, according to the forecast. Last night, even Remmy wanted to get under the cover. Of course, she is a cold weather wimp like me, lol!

There are currently three active Atlantic hurricanes: Irma, Jose and Katia. I hope no more form.

The sky has been clear for a couple of days. I got to see the rising moon again and stars last night.

Take care everyone.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, robinsnest and 4 others appreciate this.
  14. Noel

Noel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Robin: sorry to hear you have an allergy flare up now. With all the dust hanging over the Valley it is no surprise many people have sinus, allergy and cough like symptoms. Sure hope you feel better quickly - take care.

KT: glad you had a chance to view the stars and rising moon. The hurricane scenario is frightening when you consider Katia might hit the gulf region again and Irma looks poised to hit the east coast of Florida. Stay safe when the storms come your way.

15. ktspirit

ktspirit
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Noel, Katia is in the gulf and it looks like she will hit Mexico. Jose is projected to go east of Florida, but things can change quickly with these storms.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, robinsnest and 2 others appreciate this.
  16. Lil0

Lil0
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good morning all.

Sure wish you could send some of that rain out west! Fires in Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, and ??? The West is on fire and the southeast is drowning!! Yipes!!

I continue to work on minimalist decluttering. I've got a big load of stuff to take to the thrift store this weekend. One decluttering activity I need to address is all the unfinished projects!!!!!!!! They clutter my mind as well as my space. Working on it.

Have a safe day -- especially those of you in unsafe environments!!

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, ktspirit and 4 others appreciate this.
  17. RockfordFosgate

RockfordFosgate
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    Good afternoon. I'm out of the long brace into a bit shorter one that will help protect the kneecap. I'm getting a bit more mobile each day. I'm supposed to call tomorrow to get physical therapy set up for sometime next week. He didn't okay me driving, but he didn't specifically restrict me either. He did say to give myself time and to see how I feel. Hubby is off work most of next week, so he'll be able to get the girls to and from school.

Good thing about this is now I'm all caught up on Days and I'm working on clearing off some movies from the DVR.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, ktspirit and 5 others appreciate this.
  18. redsquirrel

redsquirrel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    All of you pumpkin spice aficionados can now get these at CVS. I'm sure Walgreens, RiteAid , and others will have their versions out before long. Maybe Red can verify when she checks in later.

As for me, nope. No pumpkin spice or menthol things for me.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, robinsnest and 4 others appreciate this.
  19. Just Samantha

Just Samantha
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That just sounds like an awful combination.

Daysdegrassi, IamRed, ktspirit and 5 others appreciate this.
  20. redsquirrel

redsquirrel
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Received:
    That's what I thought, JS.

I don't like nutmeg so pumpkin spice is out for me. Plus I'm allergic to eucalyptus and anything in that family so no menthol. I can't stand the smell of either menthol or nutmeg, and the thought of them together is just awful.