A Return For Redemption

Will1682

Reaction score
A huge thank you to everyone who read the Brady-Dimera Truth. Before I chose that story I was debating with a few different ideas, including this new story so I figured why not write it as well. Again thank you.

(Horton Town Square)

Maggie and Jennifer walk into the square, they both look around at the decorations setup.

Maggie: Wow! Roger is going all out for his retirement party!
Jennifer: Tell me about it!
Maggie: He always did have an ego, especially after he became successful.
Jennifer: Thanks to Uncle Mickey taking him under his wing.
Maggie: Of course!

They both smile. Roger Clark spots them and walks over.

Roger: Maggie!

They hug.

Roger: Thank you so much for coming, it really means a lot!
Maggie: My pleasure. You remember Mickey's niece Jennifer?
Roger: How could I forget?
Jennifer: Hello Mr. Clark, congratulations.
Roger: Thank you! I owe my entire career to Mickey Horton!
Maggie: I can't believe its been so many years!
Roger: I know it! It seems like just yesterday when I walked into the office for the first time as an intern.
Maggie: I know Mickey would be so proud of the way you carried on the offices legacy.
Roger: Which is why I wanted you here tonight. I know I should have told you before now, but I have chosen my successor.
Maggie: Oh?
Roger: They will be here later. So even though this is my farewell, it will also be their introduction.
Maggie: I see.

(Kiriakis Mansion)

Victor sits at the desk in his den looking over documents. There is a knock on the door.

Victor: Dammit Henderson! Didn't I ask not to be disturbed?!

The door opens and Justin walks in.

Justin: Is that how you speak to your loyal employee? It's a wonder he's stayed all these years!
Victor: Ah Justin, come in.

He shuts the door and walks in.

Victor: And you know I have all the respect in the world for Henderson, it's just been a busy day.
Justin: You don't have to explain anything to me Uncle Vic.
Victor: So what brings you by?
Justin: I know Maggie is attending Roger Clark's retirement ceremony this evening.
Victor: Yes she already left, Jennifer was kind enough to go with her.
Justin: You didn't object?
Victor: Of course not. Mickey was a very respectable attorney, Maggie should be there to represent the Horton legacy.
Justin: Well, apparently Roger's successor to the law office is going to be there.
Victor: His successor?

He takes a paper out of his pocket and hands it to him.

Justin: I received this fax before I left the office. I wasn't here in Salem when they were before, but we all know their reputation.

Victor looks at it in shock.

Victor: My god! We have to get down there!

(Horton Town Square)

Fifteen minutes later Maggie and Jennifer sit at a table near the front. Roger stands making a speech, his wife Mary standing beside him.

Roger: It's been a wonderful evening and I would like to again thank everyone for coming.

Everyone claps.

Roger: I owe my entire career to the greatest lawyer I have ever known, Mickey Horton. I started in his office over thirty years ago and was so humbled to be entrusted by the Horton family to be his successor. Tonight I am so thankful to have Mickey's wife Maggie here with us, and at this time I would like her to join Mary and I for an important announcement.

Maggie stands up and joins them, Jennifer looks on.

Roger: Although I am saying goodbye, it is time for someone new to say hello.

Victor and Justin hurry into the square.

Victor: Maggie is standing with them!

They both wave trying to get her attention.

Roger: Ladies and gentlemen, the successor to the Horton-Clark Law Office.....

Victor hurries towards the front.

Roger: Peter Blake!

Everyone stands and claps except Jennifer, a look of horror on her face. Peter walks out and shakes hands with Roger. Maggie hurries over to Jennifer, Victor makes it to the table also.

Maggie: Victor!
Victor: I tried to get here to warn you two! Justin found out about Peter!

Peter smiles and waves, his smile fades as he makes eye contact with Jennifer.

Jennifer: No! This can't be!

(Brady Pub)

Jennifer hurries in thru the door, Maggie and Victor are right behind her.

Maggie: Jennifer!

She turns around and takes a deep breath.

Jennifer: I'm sorry Aunt Maggie, but I couldn't stay there!

Maggie hugs her, Victor looks on.

Maggie: I'm so sorry, I had no idea. But you're safe!
Victor: Maggie's right Jennifer. Peter will not do anything, I'll personally see to that!

Roger hurries in and sees them, Maggie looks at him coldly.

Roger: Maggie? Is everything alright?
Maggie: Roger how could you?!
Roger: I'm sorry?
Victor: She's talking about Peter Blake!
Roger: You know him?
Victor: Indeed we do! The adoptive son of Stefano Dimera, a former crime boss right here in Salem!

A shocked look comes over Rogers face.

Roger: I had no idea! All I knew is that he had a successful law office on the west coast for over ten years. He inquired and seemed like the perfect candidate.
Victor: That's a Dimera for you, damn deceptive!

(Horton Town Square)

Most of the crowd has filed out, Peter sits at a table looking down.

Peter: This is not how it was supposed to be!

He hears footsteps approach, he looks up to see Justin.

Justin: So, Peter Blake.
Peter: I know who you are Mr. Kiriakis, Victor's nephew.
Justin: Yes, as well as the district attorney.
Peter: Right.

Justin sits down across from him.

Justin: Now just to be clear, Stefano is dead and Andre is in jail. From what I know of Chad he seems to be the first Dimera truly striving to redeem the family name, and the proof of that is he moved to New York to start a new business venture.
Peter: Your point?
Justin: My point is the Dimera reign of terror is over here in Salem, so if you have returned with any bad intentions you can go right back to where you came from.

Peter smiles and shakes his head.

Peter: Coming on a little strong with your introduction here.
Justin: Just know I will be watching, as well as the Salem PD.
Peter: I see. May I ask a question?
Justin: Can I stop you?
Peter: I would imagine with the name Kiriakis, you have received unfair treatment or suspicions at times?

Justin smiles.

Peter: The same goes for the Dimera name, just like the treatment you are giving me now.
Justin: I just like for everyone to know where I stand. I assure it's nothing personal.
Peter: Well then.

He stands up and pushes the chair in.

Peter: It's been a pleasure.

Justin watches him walk off. He takes out his phone and dials.

Justin: It's me, I need to speak with you right away.

(Kiriakis Mansion)

An hour later Maggie walks down the stairs and into the front room. Victor sits in the chair holding a scotch.

Victor: How is Jennifer?
Maggie: She's resting, thank you for inviting her here tonight.
Victor: Of course, she can stay as long as she'd like. I have security on alert.

Maggie sighs and sits down.

Maggie: When it rains it sure pours!
Victor: What do you mean?
Maggie: Jennifer's life the past year. Going thru addiction and rehab, Abby needing psychiatric treatment and now Peter returns!
Victor: I have my contacts checking into Roger's story, don't worry yourself over Peter Blake.

He stands up and sits down beside her.

Victor: Besides, we went thru hell ourselves the past year.
Maggie: Yes, the revenge of Deimos! Thank god Philip was able to bring him down.
Victor: And send him back to prison where he belongs. I'm just sorry that I let him get to you.

They start to kiss but his phone rings.

Victor: I'm sorry dear.

He takes out his phone and walks to the other side of the room. Maggie gets up and pours a glass of water, Victor walks back over.

Maggie: Well?
Victor: Roger's story checks out, Peter had a small practice in Oregon since 2005. No connections to Stefano or the Dimera name could be traced.

(Salem Inn)

Peter unlocks the door with his card key and goes inside.

Peter: What an evening!

He opens the mini bar and takes out a sample bottle of bourbon. He pours it into a glass and lifts it to his mouth, there is a knock at the door. He puts the glass down and walks to the door.

Peter: Who is it?

No answer. He sighs and pulls the door open to see Justin.

Peter: Justin?
Justin: Hello again Peter! I'm sorry to bother you here but I have someone with me you should meet.

He sees the Salem PD officer walk up.

Justin: Peter Blake, this is Officer JJ Devereux with the Salem police department.

Peter and JJ look at each other, Justin smiles.

Justin: Well, I'll leave you two to talk. Have a goodnight Peter.

Peter watches him walk down the hall to the elevators, he looks back at JJ who is staring coldly.

(Salem Inn)

Peter walks over to the table and picks up the glass of bourbon, JJ steps in and shuts the door.

Peter: Can I offer you something to drink?
JJ: No thanks, I'm not here for friendly interaction.

He takes a drink and looks at him.

Peter: You look like your father.
JJ: Do not mention my father! From the stories I've heard, you made his life a living hell!
Peter: I won't deny that.
JJ: Good! Your past time here was obviously before I was born, but Abby remembered certain things very well!
Peter: I'm sure she did.
JJ: Like the time my mother faked her death to get away from you, only for you to crash the memorial service with a gun!

Peter puts the glass down and walks over to the window.

JJ: Why are you really back in Salem?

He turns around.

Peter: I'm sorry for what happened earlier at the ceremony, I truly did not know Jennifer would be there.
JJ: Mickey was her uncle, the thought never crossed your mind?!
Peter: The only person I thought for sure was Maggie. I figured if anything she could break the news that I was back.
JJ: So again, why are you really back?
Peter: Everything's out in the open JJ, I am the successor to Roger Clark at the law office.
JJ: Yeah, that's what you want everyone to believe but it's a hard sell.
Peter: I'm not trying to sell anything and I'm certainly not making excuses for my past. I was a corrupt lawyer, a criminal for the Dimera family. Stefano was my adoptive father and the biggest mistake I ever made was following his path. It robbed me of a legitimate life, it robbed me of true happiness.

JJ looks at him.

Peter: For the longest time I blamed him for my going to prison. Yes he was manipulative, he wouldn't hesitate to use your skeletons against you, and his resources were out of this world. It seemed like there was no way out of the Dimera web, but once I was paroled I knew I had to stand on my own feet, I knew I had to resist the temptations this time. And I did.
JJ: Touching words, but that is all they are.
Peter: Again, I am not here now to deny my past and beg forgiveness. I accepted what I felt is a great career opportunity and I am only interested in getting on with my life. I assure you I am not here to make trouble for Jennifer.

JJ shakes his head.

JJ: I can't read minds Peter, but I do hope you meant what you just said for your own sake.
Peter: And what is that supposed to mean?
JJ: It means that I will go to any lengths necessary to protect my family, especially my mother! When it comes to her I will not think twice to over step the boundaries of my badge, especially when it comes to the Dimera family!
Peter: I admire your passion for your mother JJ, but I haven't been a part of that family in years. In fact, if Stefano were still alive I never would have considered returning here. There will be no trouble from me.
JJ: Just remember what I said and know that I will be watching.

He leaves out the door, Peter picks up the glass and finishes the bourbon.

One month later:

(Pier)

Victor stands on the pier looking out at the water, Steve Johnson walks up and stands beside him.

Steve: Lovely view today!

Victor looks at him sternly.

Victor: It's been a month, what have you found out?
Steve: Truthfully, not one damn thing.
Victor: What?! That's impossible!
Steve: I'm sorry Victor.

Victor shakes his head and walks over to the bench.

Steve: Look, maybe its possible this dude is being honest.
Victor: Are you hearing yourself?! We're talking about the son of Stefano Dimera!
Steve: Adoptive son.
Victor: Whatever!
Steve: Look.

He sits down beside him.

Steve: I know all about Peter Blake and what he did to my brother, but we have to face the facts of today. I've personally watched him on a daily basis for the past month and not even my ISA contacts found anything on him. He was staying at the Salem Inn until three days ago then moved into the law office upstairs.
Victor: He moved into the law office?
Steve: It was converted into an apartment. But nobody shady that I recognized coming or going.
Victor: Then you've been blind!

He lets out a laugh and stands up.

Steve: Let me tell you something Victor, don't think for a second that I wouldn't bring Peter Blake down myself if I thought he was a threat! Jennifer and her kids are my family to and I will do anything to protect them! I owe Jack that much!

Victor sighs.

Victor: I'm sorry Steve, it's just that Maggie is so worried about Jennifer. Plus she's not exactly thrilled that Peter is at the law office now. The last thing she wants is Mickey's legacy tarnished by a crime front.
Steve: I get it Victor, I truly do. And I'm not saying nobody doesn't have the right to be suspicious here. I will keep watching myself, but so far there is just nothing there.

Victor stands up.

Victor: Well, if anything changes let me know.
Steve: Absolutely.
Victor: I assume he is at the office right now?
Steve: Actually no. I followed him to the habitat for humanity project before coming here.
Victor: What?! Maggie is volunteering there this morning.

(South Fifth Street)

Maggie gets out of the car and looks at the construction site across the street. Volunteers wearing blue shirts are hard at work. The director Trish Adams hurries over to her.

Trish: Maggie!
Maggie: Hi Trish! So good to see you again!

They hug.

Trish: Thank you so much for providing the catering today.
Maggie: It's my pleasure. I have a donation check from Victor also, for household items.
Trish: Oh thank you so much!

They both look at the house frame.

Maggie: This is going to be a lovely home, I can already tell!
Trish: The family definitely needs it! A single mother with three kids, she lost her husband in a car accident last year.
Maggie: Oh my! God bless them!

Fifteen minutes later Maggie is setting up drinks on the catering table. "May I have one of those?" a familiar voice asks. She looks up to see Peter in a blue shirt and wearing a construction hat.

Maggie: Peter! Uh, sure of course!

He smiles and takes a cup, she looks at him uneasy.

Maggie: I didn't know you was volunteering?
Peter: Yes, I've actually been doing it for years now. I helped with many projects back in Oregon.
Maggie: I see.
Peter: It just feels good to give back.
Maggie: Yes, yes it does.

He takes a drink and looks back at the workers.

Maggie: So how are things at the office?
Peter: I'm getting settled in finally, thank you for asking.

He finishes the drink and drops the cup into the recycling bin.

Peter: Well, back to work.

She watches him go back and join the others. She hears a vehicle door shut, she turns around to see Victor standing outside his limo.

Maggie: Victor!

He walks over to her.

Maggie: I didn't know you were stopping by?
Victor: Are you ok?

She notices him eyeing Peter.

Maggie: Yes, everything is fine. He was just getting a drink.
Victor: I don't know what he is up to, but I wont stop until I find out!
Maggie: Victor it was no big deal.

Trish walks up and smiles.

Trish: Mr. Kiriakis! Thank you so much for the donation!

Victor smiles and nods.

Victor: It was my pleasure.

(Blake Law Office)

That afternoon Peter is sitting at his desk looking over a case file. The chime bell sounds as the door opens, he gets up and walks to the front waiting area to find JJ standing.

Peter: JJ?
JJ: You have time to talk?
Peter: Um sure, please come on back.

They both sit down and look at each other.

Peter: I have to admit I never expected to see you here.
JJ: Like wise.
Peter: So what can I do for you?

He sighs and leans forward.

JJ: If you've really come back to Salem with good intentions, then I want to ask a favor.
Peter: Okay?
JJ: I responded to a domestic violence situation last week, the victim was an old high school friend of Abby's. Her neighbor called 911 after hearing the commotion.

Peter sits back in his chair.

JJ: It's your classic abuse scenario, the man is guilty as hell but she won't tell the truth despite the evidence on her face. And of course the bruises happened the day before when she supposedly fell.
Peter: Yes, classic indeed.
JJ: I ran into her yesterday at Salem Place, she was there with her three year old son. It turns out she took him and left the next day to her mothers while the idiot was at work.
Peter: Good for her.
JJ: But needless to say idiot was not happy and had his lawyer file a motion for custody of the kid.
Peter: I see. What about the abuse?
JJ: Where she didn't press charges it will hold no merit, especially since she cannot afford a lawyer herself.

Peter sits back up and takes a deep breath.

JJ: I need you to represent her Peter, as a pro bono client.
Peter: Look JJ, I wish I could help but I'm up to my neck with cases as it is. My calendar is full.
JJ: Peter, we both know if she goes into that courtroom without a lawyer she stands no chance. Despite abusing her, his family has money and resources. Sound familiar?

He sighs again and looks down.

JJ: She's a damn good mother and has always been a good person since I have known her. She shouldn't lose her son over such circumstances. Please Peter!

He looks back up at him and shakes his head.

Peter: Alright JJ, I'll do it.
JJ: Really? You're serious?
Peter: Tell her to come in tomorrow at one for consultation.
JJ: Thank you Peter, this really means a lot.

They both stand up and shake hands.

My sincere apologies for not updating sooner, endured some unexpected issues the last couple weeks.

One week later:

(Brady Pub)

Peter sits in a booth looking over court documents, he takes a sip of coffee. The door opens and shuts behind him. "Peter Blake" a voice says. He turns around to see Roman Brady.

Peter: Roman, how are you?

He smirks and walks up to the table.

Roman: I heard you were back in Salem.
Peter: Yes, just over a month now.
Roman: So tell me, what in the hell are you doing in here?

Peter half smiles and shakes his head.

Peter: I'm sorry Roman, I didn't know I wasn't welcome.
Roman: I find that hard to believe.

He puts the documents back in his briefcase and stands up. Caroline walks up with a bowl of chowder.

Peter: I'm sorry Caroline, but can I get that to go?
Caroline: Non sense! You sit back down and eat!

She eyes Roman with a stern look, he looks back at Peter.

Roman: I'm sorry Peter, please stay and enjoy.

He sits back down, Caroline puts the bowl on the table.

Caroline: You let me know if you need anything.
Peter: Thank you.

She and Roman walk back into the kitchen.

Caroline: What is wrong with you?! Are you trying to drive away my customers?!
Roman: Ma, do I need to remind you who Peter Blake is? Adoptive son of Stefano? Kristen's brother?
Caroline: You certainly do not need to remind me!
Roman: I don't understand then?

Caroline sighs.

Caroline: Look, I know you're just being cautious. But Maggie has told me such good things about Peter since he's been back.
Roman: Like?
Caroline: Volunteering with habitat for humanity, running an after school sports program a couple days a week.
Roman: Wait, I heard about the sports program. Peter started that?
Caroline: He did, not to mention the clientele at the law office is extremely happy so far.
Roman: Well, those are certainly things to be proud of, but let's not forget the other Dimera's who have put up a front before.
Caroline: Bottom line, I say who is and who isn't welcome here. Understand?
Roman: Fine, whatever you say Ma.

He walks back out and stops at Peter's table.

Roman: Peter, from the standpoint of this being my mothers business, I was out of line and I do apologize.
Peter: It's fine Roman.
Roman: But from a Commissioner of the Salem PD standpoint, I will be watching you.
Peter: Well, I suppose I can add your name to the list of my watchers.

Roman smirks again and leaves. Caroline walks up with a coffee pot and refills his cup.

Caroline: I am very sorry about that Peter. Just know you are welcome here anytime.

He smiles.

Peter: I appreciate it Caroline, but to be honest I didn't expect anything less when I decided to come back.
Caroline: Well, I do believe in second chances.
Peter: Listen Caroline, I truly mean this when I say I'm sorry about Shawn and Bo. They were both second to none.

She wipes a tear out of her eye and smiles.

(Courthouse)

Three hours later Peter is leaving the courthouse. He walks into the parking lot and sees JJ standing by his car.

Peter: JJ, I didn't know you were here.
JJ: Amanda called, told me what happened in court.
Peter: She did? That was quick.
JJ: I know she never expected full custody, I can't thank you enough for this favor Peter.
Peter: Well, a hot head like her ex always shoots them-self in the foot.
JJ: Yeah, she told me about his contempt of court and thirty days in jail. What a moron!

Peter smiles and unlocks the car door.

JJ: So tell me, how can I return the favor?

He sits his briefcase in the car and looks back at him.

Peter: Well, I could use some help with the sports program. The student count is growing every session.
JJ: You got it!

(Blake Law Office)

That evening Peter sits at his desk buried in documents. He looks up at the clock and sighs.

Peter: Seven o clock, where did the time go?

He organizes the desk and turns off the lamp. He starts to walk towards the back to the stairs when someone knocks on the front entrance door.

Peter: I close at four, who could that be at this hour?

He walks back thru his office and to the front waiting room. He peeks thru the blinds and is shocked at who he sees. He unlocks the door and pulls it open.

Peter: Jennifer?
Jennifer: Hi Peter, I'm wondering if we could talk?

(Horton Town Square)

Peter and Jennifer walk up to a table, he pulls a seat out for her.

Jennifer: Thank you.

She sits down, he walks around to the other side and sits.

Jennifer: I hope you don't mind coming here, I thought we could talk over a drink.
Peter: Not at all, a drink sounds great.

The server comes and takes their orders.

Jennifer: So how is everything at the office?
Peter: Hectic, but well worth it and rewarding. I should have practiced law privately all along.
Jennifer: That's so good to hear.
Peter: Yes, the grass has definitely been greener on the other side for me. But I have a feeling you really don't want to talk about the office?

She smiles and shakes her head. The server brings their drinks.

Jennifer: Actually, I want to apologize for the way I reacted at Roger Clark's party.

Peter shakes his head no.

Jennifer: That was so out of line of me.
Peter: Jennifer don't, you had every right to react the way you did. I honestly didn't know you was going to be there or I never would've agreed to appear. That was not the way I wanted you to find out I was back, I figured if anyone was going to be there it was Maggie and she would tell you.
Jennifer: I believe you Peter, I remember the look on your face when you saw me.
Peter: Thanks Jennifer, that really means a lot.

They both take a drink.

Peter: I knew what to expect coming back here, I mean my past speaks for itself. I make no excuses and have no expectations. My work is my life now and I can only hope I am making a positive difference.
Jennifer: And I believe you are. Aunt Maggie told me about all the volunteering and the sports program. I remember you always talked about starting one before.
Peter: Yeah, that was long ago and far away. But it feels great to actually be doing it, especially with all the distractions out of my life now.
Jennifer: I assume you're speaking of Stefano?

He takes another drink and looks at her.

Peter: I would be lying if I said Stefano had not been a master manipulator, and wow did I let him manipulate me. But I know now I should have had the courage to stand up to him, to stand on my own two feet. And that is why I take full responsibility for my actions now, especially everything I did to you, Jack and Abigail.
Jennifer: I won't lie Peter, those were very dark times in my life.
Peter: I'm so sorry Jennifer.
Jennifer: But, I would be lying to if I said I didn't have good memories of you also.

He smiles and looks down.

Jennifer: That's why hearing about all these good things now is not really shocking for me. I've always wanted to believe the person you wanted to be was something like this, and not Stefano Dimera's son.

He looks back up at her.

Peter: This is so much better than the last discussion we had at the police department years ago.
Jennifer: I remember that and have to agree. I can still see you standing behind those bars.
Peter: That's never an ideal situation, but it was a blessing in disguise for me. Not that I wasn't expecting Stefano to use his connections to get me out, but not doing so was the best thing he ever done for me. I can still hear his voice, proclaiming to be a new upstanding citizen of Salem because of his pardon.
Jennifer: He always did what was best for him.
Peter: Yes, even when he convinced Kristen to come back here.
Jennifer: So you know about everything that happened?
Peter: Unfortunately yes. She called me the day before she left Europe. I begged her not to do it, told her she had come so far. In fact I had asked her for years to move to Oregon close to me but she never would.

He sighs and takes another drink.

Jennifer: I know you two were always close, I wish she had listened to you.
Peter: After I heard about the accident in Italy, I booked a flight to come here. My plan was to confront Stefano and put an end to him once and for all. There I was sitting in the terminal but thankfully came to my senses.
Jennifer: Yes, because doing that would have pulled you right back into his clutches.
Peter: Exactly. I will always hurt, there will always be a void over losing my sister. But just like I finally realized for myself, she was responsible for her own actions to.
Jennifer: So how did you do it? How did you finally break free from Stefano?
Peter: Like I said, him letting me go to prison was the best thing he ever done for me. For a change I was truly answering for my actions and as time went on I realized how insane I had been, especially that last time when you and Jack went on the run. I had sessions with a wonderful therapist and after a couple years I started teaching reading classes to other inmates.

She smiles.

Peter: I was paroled in 2005 and with the help of my case manager found a job as a paralegal in Oregon. Not long after my law license was reinstated and I started my own practice.
Jennifer: So that's how you ended up there.

He nods and takes another drink.

Peter: It's a beautiful state, I couldn't have asked for a better place to start fresh.
Jennifer: So Stefano never contacted you?
Peter: Of course he did, even showed up out of thin air one day.
Jennifer: What happened?
Peter: He was still living in Italy at the time, but wanted me to go back with him to oversee Dimera Enterprises. He had also been diagnosed with a kidney ailment and needed a transplant. But I was not the same person and it completely baffled him when I said no. I told him to never come back and stay out of my life.
Jennifer: And he listened?
Peter: Of course not. I would get the occasional dream come true job offer or the anonymous six-figure donation check, but anything like that always went straight into my paper shredder. I suppose he forgot how well he taught me and I refused to give him any leverage.
Jennifer: Wow Peter, I am so proud of you!

The server comes back and refills their drinks.

Jennifer: So, what else has happened in the last ten years besides working and volunteering?

He half smiles and looks down.

Peter: I did meet someone in Oregon, we were together six years and got engaged.
Jennifer: Really? What happened?
Peter: I let it fizzle out apparently.
Jennifer: Fizzle out?
Peter: According to her, I was too focused on work and volunteering. I put those things before us.
Jennifer: But she knew about your past right?
Peter: Of course, I was honest up front about everything.
Jennifer: Then surely she understood your determination?
Peter: Yes, determined I was. Maybe a little too much.
Jennifer: What do you mean?
Peter: I think she was right, I did become too focused on the other things.
Jennifer: But why?
Peter: Because I was too afraid of letting my guard down, too afraid that the Dimera curse would find its way back into my life.

She sighs, a sympathetic look on her face.

Peter: I loved her so much but was afraid of ruining someones life again.
Jennifer: Well, it seems to me you've done everything right except one thing.

He looks at her.

Jennifer: You have not forgiven yourself.

He shakes his head.

Peter: You may be right.

Fifteen minutes later they are standing back in front of the law office.

Peter: So tell me, what made you decide to come here and talk tonight?
Jennifer: Well, like I said Aunt Maggie has been keeping me informed.
Peter: Right.
Jennifer: But it's what JJ told me earlier about you helping Amanda Douglas in court.

He smiles and shakes his head.

Jennifer: She was one of Abby's best friends during high school, she practically lived at our house.
Peter: Well like I told JJ, it was my pleasure. I've seen a lot of female clients in the same situation before.
Jennifer: Thank you Peter. And for whatever it's worth, you have my blessing to stay here in Salem.
Peter: Thank you, that really means a lot. And let me tell you, that son of yours is a damn fine officer. He reminds me so much of Jack.

She smiles and starts to tear up.

Peter: I'm sorry for what happened to Jack, I truly mean that.

She wipes the tears away but keeps smiling.

Jennifer: Goodnight Peter.

He watches her walk down the sidewalk and around the building. He unlocks the door and goes in.

Jennifer stops at her car and takes out her keys. A hand suddenly grabs her shoulder from behind.

Last edited:
(Blake Law Office)

Peter walks up the stairs and opens the door to the apartment. The front room is dark but still navigates his way to the kitchen. He opens a bottle of water and takes a drink, he walks back into the front room. He sits the bottle down and takes off his suit jacket. He picks the bottle back up to take another drink but stops, an uneasy feeling coming over him suddenly. He sits the bottle back down and looks towards the corner of the room. He flips the light switch on and sees the cheshire cat grin.

Peter: You!

Andre Dimera sits in the chair smiling.

Andre: Hello Peter, it's been a long time.

Outside Jennifer spins around startled, Steve throws his hands up and steps back.

Steve: Whoa sorry!
Jennifer: Steve!
Steve: I didn't mean to startle you.

She takes a deep breathe and smiles.

Jennifer: I didn't know anyone was behind me.
Steve: I called your name a couple times, I guess you were distracted. Is everything okay?
Jennifer: Yes, just fumbling with my keys.
Steve: Are you sure?
Jennifer: I'm positive. Thank you for checking on me.

She turns and unlocks the car door.

Steve: So having a drink with Peter Blake has nothing to do with it?

She turns around and looks at him.

Steve: Come on Jennifer, talk to your brother-in-law.
Jennifer: How did you know I had a drink with Peter?
Steve: Simple, I was watching.
Jennifer: You was watching? But why?
Steve: Well, first and foremost you, JJ and Abby are my family. I owe it to Jack to make sure you're protected, especially from a guy like Peter Blake.
Jennifer: So you've been following me?!
Steve: Not you, him.

She lets out a laugh and shakes her head.

Jennifer: I don't believe this! Who are you following him for?
Steve: That I cannot disclose, but it's not hard to figure out if you think about it.
Jennifer: Victor!
Steve: You said it, not me.
Jennifer: How long have you been following him?
Steve: Long enough, but for what it's worth I have advised that everything seems legit.
Jennifer: Good, so now you can stop!
Steve: You know I can't do that.
Jennifer: I can take care of myself!
Steve: I know, it's not about that.
Jennifer: Then what is it about Steve?!
Steve: You know my line of work, I've been paid to do a job.
Jennifer: Then why did you just blow your cover with me?

He sighs.

Steve: Like I said you're family, and sometimes that takes top priority.
Jennifer: Look, I came to Peter and asked if we could talk. It was no big deal.
Steve: Well even if the dude is walking the line now, you have to admit that you going to him is something nobody expected?
Jennifer: Maybe so, but I did and it was my choice.
Steve: But why?
Jennifer: That's none of your business!

He shakes his head.

Steve: Fine, I will accept that.
Jennifer: Thank you.
Steve: But listen, obviously I will still be watching and you can't let anyone know.
Jennifer: Fine, but I honestly believe you're only wasting your time.
Steve: Maybe so. But just know if I see anything suspicious, I will not hesitate to protect you or anyone else.
Jennifer: Goodnight Steve.

She gets in the car and drives off. He turns and looks back at the law office building.

Steve: I guess I'll be seeing you again tomorrow.

Inside Peter and Andre stare at each other.

Peter: What the hell are you doing here?! How did you get out?!
Andre: It's simple! I was innocent.

He shakes his head.

Peter: No, you killed Stefano! The case against you was iron clad!
Andre: Apparently not.

He stands up and walks over to the window.

Andre: Isn't it ironic?

He turns and smiles at him.

Andre: A Dimera now at the helm of Mickey Horton's legacy. Father would be so proud.
Peter: I'm not a Dimera anymore! I've buried the past and that's where it's going to stay!
Andre: Oh Peter do not speak like that. After all, it's going to be you and I that restores the family empire.
Peter: There is no empire! Stefano lost everything! If it wasn't for Chad securing a loan, Dimera Enterprises would've went bankrupt!
Andre: Very true, only I am not interested in reclaiming Dimera Enterprises.
Peter: I don't give a damn what you're interested in!

He takes out his phone and starts to dial.

Andre: If you're calling the authorities you're only going to look foolish.

He takes out a paper and holds it up.

Andre: This is my official release form from the State Penitentiary.
Peter: Fine, but you're forgetting one thing.
Andre: And that would be?
Peter: Breaking and entering! You were not invited into my residence.

He puts the phone up to his ear, Andre rolls his eyes and smiles.

Fifteen minutes later Andre stands in handcuffs, JJ is reading him his rights. Roman walks up to Peter.

Roman: I have to admit I never expected this.
Peter: Expected what?
Roman: A Dimera turning in one of their own.
Peter: I'm not a Dimera anymore Roman! Shouldn't this prove it?!
Roman: Exactly.

Peter sighs.

Roman: And we both know he will be back on the street in no time.

He walks over to JJ and Andre.

Roman: Okay, lets go.

Andre looks back at Peter and smiles.

Andre: See you soon brother.

(Kiriakis Mansion)

Victor ties his robe as he walks down the stairs and into the study, Justin and Steve sit waiting.

Victor: At this hour it better be damn good!
Steve: Oh it is.

They both stand up.

Justin: Andre Dimera has been released from prison.
Victor: What?!
Justin: He's in custody at the police department as we speak.
Victor: In custody?
Justin: Yes.
Steve: Apparently the dude just can't stay out of trouble.

Victor lets out a laugh.

Victor: So it looks like the plan has been foiled. I knew Peter was up to something!

Justin and Steve look at each other.

Victor: What? What is it?!
Justin: Actually, it was Peter who pressed charges against Andre.
Victor: This is no time for stand up comedy!
Steve: He's telling the truth Victor, Andre's been charged with breaking and entering at the office.
Victor: Unbelievable.

He pours a shot of brandy and drinks, he looks back at them.

Victor: This has to be some kind of ruse, some part of their plan.
Steve: That thought has crossed my mind also, but it's too early to tell.
Victor: And where the hell were you?! I should have heard about this the second it happened!
Steve: Relax there Greek God! I was tailing Peter like you hired me to do.
Victor: So he wasn't at the office?
Steve: No, he was having a drink at the square. I called it a night after he went back, I assume that's when he discovered Andre.
Justin: Yes, but let's be honest here. We all know this charge is child's play compared to his other crimes.
Victor: Of course he is going to walk and Peter knows it! I'm telling you this is part of a ruse!
Justin: What I don't understand is how Andre hired Gerald Vandenhul to represent him.
Victor: Vandenhul?! How in the hell did he afford him?! He is known nationally!
Steve: Not to mention Stefano lost everything before he died.
Victor: I'm telling you right now Peter is in on this!

He looks at Justin.

Victor: If you're smart, you'll find a way to arrest him to.
Justin: It's not that simple Uncle Vic and you know it.
Victor: Then dammit make it simple!

He looks at Steve.

Victor: And you stay on top this! I want to know any detail the minute it comes out!
Steve: I'll do my best.
Victor: You do better than your best, it's what I'm paying you for!

He walks out of the room and back up the stairs. Steve looks at Justin.

Steve: I think he's a little cranky tonight.
Justin: Tonight? Try all the time.

(Police Department)

Peter walks in and spots Roman in his office, he walks up to the door.

Peter: Roman?
Roman: Peter! I don't remember asking you to come down here?
Peter: I know, I came on my own.
Roman: Well, what can I do for you now?
Peter: I was wondering if you could give me any kind of update?
Roman: What is it you want to know? Andre's downstairs in a cell, he's already made a call to his lawyer.
Peter: His lawyer?

"That's right" a voice says from behind. He turns around to see a man in a fancy suit holding a briefcase. The man extends his hand.

Gerald: Gerald Vandenhul, attorney at law.
Peter: I know who you are.

Gerald drops his hand and nods.

Peter: What I don't understand is why you're defending Andre.
Gerald: I'm sorry, but I'm not at liberty to discuss my clientele.

Roman gets up and walks around the desk.

Gerald: Commissioner Brady I assume?
Roman: That's right.
Gerald: Look, I think we can all agree this was a simple misunderstanding. Why waste everyone's time including the courts?

Peter lets out a laugh.

Peter: I may not be a celebrity lawyer, but a lawyer I am and Andre broke the law.
Gerald: I'm not disputing that at all sir. However, he was released from prison unexpectedly.
Roman: So what is your point Mr. Vandenhul?
Gerald: My point is that Mr. Blake here is my clients adoptive brother.
Peter: So?
Gerald: So my client simply thought he was welcome into your home.
Peter: Well he wasn't, and not only that it's also the site of my confidential law office.
Gerald: I see. But were any files disrupted? Was any property damaged? Is anything unaccounted for?

Roman looks at Peter.

Peter: I'm not playing this game with you! No way am I dropping the charges!

Gerald shrugs.

Gerald: Fine by me. We can do this your way.
Peter: In fact, I'm going to the courthouse first thing in the morning to file for a restraining order.
Gerald: You do that Mr. Blake.

He looks at Roman.

Gerald: May I please see my client?
Roman: Follow me.

Peter watches them walk down the hall. He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes.

Peter: Stefano didn't get me back in the Dimera clutches. I'll be damned if Andre will!

Ten minutes later Gerald and Andre are sitting in the interrogation room.

Andre: So am I free to go?
Gerald: Not just yet I'm afraid. Peter is refusing to drop the charges.
Andre: I see.
Gerald: But we will see the judge first thing in the morning. I'm confident everything will be dismissed.
Andre: Well, whats one more night in a cell.
Gerald: But I do have some news.
Andre: I'm all ears.
Gerald: Peter is planning to file for a restraining order against you.
Andre: I see.
Gerald: So this may not be as simple as we thought, the overall agenda that is.
Andre: Yes, he is being unbelievably defiant!
Gerald: So what do we do now?
Andre: It's quite simple.

He smiles mischievously.

Andre: We go to plan b.

One week later:

(Horton House)

Jennifer and Hope sit in the kitchen gripping coffee mugs, a plate of fresh donuts in the middle of the table.

Hope: I can never sit in here without missing Gram. The smell of fresh donuts just makes it seem like she's still here.
Jennifer: Well it's her recipe, but I can never bake them exactly how she could.
Hope: Me neither!

They both smile.

Jennifer: Look at us now. So much has changed just in the past few years. Losing Gram and Uncle Mickey.

They look at each other.

Hope: And the true loves of our lives.
Jennifer: I'm sorry Hope, I shouldn't have said anything.
Hope: It's fine. Sometimes I wonder what kind of mischief Bo and Jack are up to together.
Jennifer: Oh I can just see it! Eventually Jack would get on Bo's nerves and get slapped upside the head!

They both laugh.

Hope: They were both one of a kind.
Jennifer: Yes, and we were lucky to have them for soulmates.

Jennifer gets up and pours more coffee.

Hope: We need to do this more often, I've just been so busy at the station.
Jennifer: It's been hectic at the hospital to. But yes, this is nice for a change.

She sits back down.

Hope: So the last time we talked it was on the phone, and it was the morning after you found out Peter was back in Salem.
Jennifer: Yes I remember.
Hope: How have you been holding up?
Jennifer: Well, I have to admit I was pretty rattled, I even stayed at Victor's for almost a week.
Hope: Stayed at Victors? You know you are more than welcome to stay with me anytime.
Jennifer: I know, but I wanted to make sure Aunt Maggie was okay to.
Hope: True. I know she wasn't happy about Peter taking over the office.
Jennifer: It's just a complicated situation. Nobody knows what to believe I suppose.
Hope: Especially with Andre returning. A lot of people don't think it was a coincidence.
Jennifer: It definitely raised more questions.
Hope: Well, as long as Peter stays away from you, that's all I really care about at this point.

Jennifer looks away, she notices.

Hope: Hey, what is it?
Jennifer: I know you're not going to be happy about this, but I went to Peter.
Hope: What?!
Jennifer: I wanted to talk to him, we had a drink at the town square.
Hope: Jennifer! Are you out of your mind?! When was this?
Jennifer: The same evening Peter found Andre in the apartment, right before actually.
Hope: Oh my god! Did he do anything to you?!
Jennifer: Of course not! Everything was completely civil.

Hope takes a deep breath.

Hope: I'm sorry. I just never expected to hear that.
Jennifer: Oh believe me, I never expected that I would to go to him either.
Hope: So why did you?
Jennifer: I was hearing all these good things about him from Aunt Maggie, and do you remember Amanda Douglas?
Hope: Abby's friend from Salem High?
Jennifer: Yes her. She ran into trouble with the father of her child and couldn't afford a lawyer. JJ went to Peter, he agreed to represent her as a pro bono client.
Hope: Okay? Is it possible he's putting up a front like most any Dimera?

Jennifer sighs and shakes her head.

Jennifer: Look Hope, I will never forget the hell Peter put my family thru and I know he will always be remembered first as Stefano's son. But it is a fact that at one time I did love him and I saw a side of him that nobody else did. And after hearing about all these good things from Aunt Maggie and JJ, I truly want to believe that he has changed for the better.
Hope: I understand that. But what about Andre?

Jennifer looks down at the table, Hope's cell suddenly rings.

Hope: It's Rafe's desk number, I have to take this.

She walks out of the kitchen, Jennifer takes another sip of coffee and stares at the wall in thought.

Jennifer: It seemed like you had truly changed Peter. I hope you had nothing to do with Andre coming back.

Hope hurries back in.

Hope: I'm sorry cuz but I have to get to the station.
Jennifer: Is everything alright?
Hope: I'm not sure. He said Roman is coming in from a crime scene and needs to brief us about it.
Jennifer: Oh wow.
Hope: But we will resume this discussion soon. Call me if you need anything.
Jennifer: Yes, I will.

They hug, Hope hurries out the kitchen door.

(Salem High School)

That afternoon Peter walks into the gym holding a netted sack of basketballs over his shoulder. He puts it on the floor and takes out a clipboard.

Peter: Okay, lets draw up a bracket here.

The door opens again and JJ walks in.

Peter: Hey JJ! The kids should be here soon, I thought we'd have a basketball tournament today.

JJ just stares at him, Peter puts the clipboard down.

Peter: Alright, go ahead and get it off your chest.
JJ: I don't mean to harp Peter, because I know everyone else has given you the third degree already.
Peter: Then don't and believe me when I say I had nothing to do with Andre's release.
JJ: That's what I want to believe.
Peter: Good, because it's the truth.
JJ: Look, for what it's worth I told Roman I believed you.
Peter: You did?
JJ: He thought I was crazy of course, even gave me a lecture about your past with my mom and dad.
Peter: Yeah, he isn't exactly one of my supporters.
JJ: Well regardless I stood by my opinion.
Peter: Thank you JJ.
JJ: I just hope I never have to regret it.
Peter: You wont, you have my word.

They walk over and sit down on the bleachers.

JJ: So I heard you was granted the restraining order?
Peter: Yes, and so far it seems to have worked.
JJ: Andre hasn't tried to contact you again?
Peter: Surprisingly no. It's like he's vanished again.
JJ: Good, maybe he got the message.
Peter: Maybe, but I'm not letting my guard down.
JJ: Well if he does show his face again don't hesitate to call me. It's always a pleasure to slap the cuffs on a Dimera.

Peter smiles. The gym door opens again and the kids flow in.

Peter: Let's do this!

Two hours later the kids are leaving, Peter and JJ are collecting the basketballs.

JJ: That was a good turn out.
Peter: The biggest yet.
JJ: So when's the next one?
Peter: I have to clear it with the principle, but I'm aiming for Friday.
JJ: Sounds good, just let me know for sure.

They hear the door open again and turn around, they are both surprised to see Roman walking towards them.

JJ: Commissioner Brady?
Roman: JJ. I heard you was volunteering here today, so I knew Peter would be here as well.

Peter sighs.

Peter: What is it now Roman?
Roman: Tell me, when was the last time you saw or spoke to Andre?
Peter: That would be at my apartment, when you two escorted him out in handcuffs.
Roman: And you're sure about that?
Peter: I'm positive! What's this all about anyway?
JJ: Yeah, has anything happened?

Roman shakes his head.

Roman: I'm afraid so. Andre's body was found this morning by a groundskeeper at the Dimera mansion.

(Police Station)

Roman, JJ and Peter walk into the station, Hope walks out of the office.

Hope: I see you found him.
Roman: Yeah, he was at the school with JJ.
Peter: Found me?
Roman: Relax Peter, I've already asked you what we needed to know.
Peter: Are you saying I'm a suspect?
Hope: Of course not, just a person of interest.

Peter shakes head.

JJ: Look, I don't know when Andre was found but I can verify that Peter was at the school the past two hours.
Roman: Sorry JJ, but we're working with a much larger time frame than that.
JJ: How large?
Roman: The coroner estimated that Andre had been dead for two or three days.
Peter: Oh Christ!

Everyone looks at him.

Roman: Yeah, it wasn't a pretty site.
Hope: Did you contact Chad?
Roman: We spoke on the phone. He gave consent to a thorough search and investigation of the property.
JJ: Did you seize the camera surveillance?
Roman: The camera's were deactivated when Chad and Abby moved, he told me that himself before we hung up.
Peter: So nobody is there full time anymore?
Roman: That's right, just a hired groundskeeper that does a walk-thru once a week.
JJ: Yeah, I remember Abby saying something about that.

Roman looks at Peter.

Roman: So Peter, remind me again of everything Andre said to you that night.
Peter: Come on Roman, you made a report!
Roman: If I'm remembering correct, he said you two were going to rebuild the family business?
Peter: Yeah, something like that.
Roman: And you're sure he didn't mention any names?
Peter: I'm positive.
Roman: Then I guess it would be pointless to ask if you knew of anyone that wanted to kill him?

He lets out a laugh.

Peter: Again, I have not been involved with any Dimera business for almost twenty years now. I have no clue.

The door opens, Rafe walks in holding an evidence bag.

Roman: Rafe, is the scene secure?
Rafe: Yes, everything's been wrapped up for now.
Roman: Good.
Rafe: But I do need to brief you and Hope in private.

They all walk into Roman's office. JJ looks at Peter.

JJ: Well, I guess we know why Andre never contacted you again.

(Salem Inn)

Gerald Vandenhul sits at a table on the patio of the top floor suite. He puffs a cigar and pours a glass of wine.

Gerald: Ah, the elegance of life!

He puts the cigar down and takes a sip of the wine. His cell phone rings.

Gerald: Hello boss.......yes, the body was found today.......I'm sure they have found the evidence by now......oh please don't mention it, it was my pleasure............yes, the bottle of wine was at the desk when I checked in, I can't believe you remembered my favorite.

(Police Station)

Peter gets a cup of water from the dispenser, he drinks it down and throws the cup in the trash. The office door opens again and everyone walks back out.

Peter: Uh Roman, I'm going to get on over to the office if we're finished here.
Roman: I'm sorry Peter, but I'm afraid were not.
Peter: What's that supposed to mean? I did not kill Andre!

Rafe walks up to him.

Rafe: Peter Blake, you are under arrest for bribery in the excess of one million dollars.
Peter: What?! What are you talking about?!
Roman: We have the document Peter, it was found in Andre's pocket.
Peter: What document?!
Rafe: Save it! I've already spoken with my FBI contact, they were able to verify the offshore account you setup for Roger Clark.
Hope: Yes, and now it's crystal clear why he chose a criminal to be his successor!
Peter: I don't know what you all are talking about! I never setup an offshore account!

They start to escort him down the hall, JJ steps out of the break room holding a cup of coffee.

JJ: What's going on?!
Roman: I'll talk to you later!
Peter: Don't you believe it JJ! Don't you believe it!

(Salem Inn)

The room service attendant unlocks the suite door and pokes their head in.

Attendant: Room service! Hello?

They push the food cart in and notice the glass door to the patio open.

Attendant: Hello? Room service! I have your dinner order.

They walk up to the patio door, their eyes go wide at the site of Gerald Vandenhul's lifeless body laying on the floor.

One month later:

(State Penitentiary)

Peter steps off the bus in a blue prison uniform, his wrists and ankles shackled. He notices his reflection in one of the bus windows, he now has a full grown mustache and beard. Two guards escort him inside.

(Police Station)

Rafe walks into Roman's office.

Rafe: Just got the call from state, Peter arrived.
Roman: Good, I appreciate the update.
Rafe: Probably pointless to ask, but any update on Roger Clark's whereabouts?
Roman: Not a thing. By now my guess is that he's laying dead somewhere to.
Rafe: I wouldn't doubt it, especially with the FBI coming up empty.
Roman: Well, sometime in the next few months they will schedule a trial and hopefully this will all be over one way or another.
Rafe: Peter maintained his innocence the whole time, even represented himself.
Roman: Yes, just like Stefano always did and we both knew better than that.
Rafe: Oh I'm not saying I believed him. I guess if anything it had Stefano written all over it.
Roman: Yes, he learned from the best.

(Kiriakis Mansion)

Victor, Justin and Steve sit in the private study.

Victor: So, lets review everything.
Justin: Nothing has changed Uncle Vic, Peter is still only being charged with bribery at this point.
Victor: What about the murders?!
Justin: There is no evidence to implicate him. Yes, it was the same poison that killed Andre and Vandenhul but no proof it came from Peter.
Victor: Yes it was poison and both by drink! If that doesn't have Dimera written all over it then I don't know what does!
Steve: You may be right Victor, but in Justin's profession you cannot charge with instinct.
Justin: At the very least Peter is behind bars now, but the investigation is ongoing.

Victor looks at Steve.

Victor: What do you think?

He shrugs.

Steve: Like I've said I have reason to be on the fence at this point. But I get your point of view Victor, Peter and Andre could have definitely had a plan in place. For whatever reason it goes south between them, Peter has him arrested and then Andre threatens to expose the bribe to Roger Clark. So Peter poisons him and to play it safe poisons his lawyer as well.
Victor: Exactly!
Steve: But there's other points of views I can't ignore either.
Victor: Yes Jennifer and JJ, the two that should want Peter's head on a stick the most!
Justin: Maggie went to Roger's house right?
Victor: Yes, it was as if he just up and left. Everything accounted for except him and his wife. Again, typical Dimera!
Steve: I agree with that, they could be anywhere at this point.
Justin: And to think he could be the key to all of this. Have you spoke anymore to the ISA?
Steve: Still nothing, but still investigating.

Victor lets out a laugh.

Victor: The ISA, the FBI, what good are they if they can't even locate a retired lawyer!

(Horton House)

JJ sits in the living room looking over Peter's file, Jennifer walks in and sighs.

Jennifer: JJ, it's your day off, why are you going thru the file again?

He closes it and looks at her.

JJ: Mom, you know Peter better than anyone else, both the good and bad.

She sits down beside him.

JJ: Tell me, which Peter came back here to Salem?

She shakes her head.

Jennifer: I don't know JJ.
JJ: What are your instincts telling you?
Jennifer: When I talked with Peter that night, it was like talking to the man I fell in love with. But I also remember how that same man deceived me, how he was working for Stefano Dimera the whole time.

He stands up and walks to the fireplace.

JJ: I don't know what to believe. I didn't hesitate to confront him the night he returned and for weeks I was sure he was up to something just like everyone else.

He turns around and looks at her.

JJ: But then I responded to Amanda's domestic situation, and what she needed gave me the perfect opportunity to give him a chance.
Jennifer: And he didn't disappoint.

He runs his hand thru his hair and sighs.

JJ: I'm gonna get something to drink.

He walks out of the room. Jennifer looks down at the file and opens it.

Jennifer: I honestly don't know which Peter you are now.

(State Penitentiary)

Two guards escort Peter down the hall towards the cell area. One suddenly opens a door to a storage room, the other pushes Peter inside.

Peter: What the hell is this?! What is going on?!

They both stand blocking the door, they just stare at him. He hears a footstep behind him, he turns around to see another inmate. "Please excuse this rude introduction, but I do believe this is the only way" the inmate says.

Peter: Who are you?

"My name is Deimos, Deimos Kiriakis".

(State Penitentiary)

Peter stares at Deimos.

Peter: Your name is Kiriakis?
Deimos: That's right.
Peter: So you're telling me that Victor is behind all of this?

Deimos shakes his head.

Deimos: No, I'm afraid it's all me.
Peter: What do you mean?
Deimos: Let's just say my brother and I are estranged.
Peter: Your his brother? Why haven't I heard of you?
Deimos: My family history is not important right now. However, what I need you for is.
Peter: What are you talking about?

He smiles and walks over to the guards.

Deimos: If you two wouldn't care to step outside, and as always you will be compensated generously.

They both nod and step out, Deimos looks back at Peter.

Deimos: The power of money is amazing, wouldn't you agree?
Peter: I know how it works.
Deimos: Which is exactly why I need you. I know you are Stefano Dimera's adoptive son, but more important I know
you are the former family attorney.
Peter: All true, but all in the past.
Deimos: Right, you're shooting the straight arrow now from what I've heard.
Peter: How do you know anything about me?
Deimos: Let's just say I always do my homework, that I always stay one step ahead.
Peter: What is it you want?
Deimos: It's very simple Peter, I want you to represent me at my upcoming trial.

Peter looks at him confused.

Peter: Represent you?
Deimos: You agree to be my attorney, the bribery charge will vanish.
Peter: Which I'm sure you are the brain child of.

He smiles again.

Deimos: You see, I will give credit where credit is due. My nephew Philip brought me down and in the process
one helluva federal case has been built against me.
Peter: And you think I can beat those charges?
Deimos: Oh I don't think, I know.

He walks to the other side of the room.

Peter: Why is it you think you know so much about me?
Deimos: Isn't it clear by now Peter? I'm the reason Roger Clark chose you as his successor.
Peter: What?!
Deimos: As I said before, I always do my homework. When my sources discovered you had inquired with him,
I simply made it a done deal with the offshore account.
Peter: So you offered him over one million dollars to choose me?
Deimos: Of course! I needed you back in Salem.
Peter: And what separates me from any big shot you could hire?
Deimos: I think you already know the answer to that.

Peter turns around and sighs.

Deimos: There's a reason that Stefano always stayed one step ahead, especially when it came to federal charges.

He looks back at him.

Deimos: The man had a library of other people's skeletons, especially those of respect. And who else would have
knowledge of that library? Oh yes, that would be you my friend.
Peter: That was a long time ago!
Deimos: Indeed. But it just so happens the judge assigned to my case is Warren Marshall.

Peter shakes his head.

Deimos: The same Judge Marshall who once presided over Stefano's case that never went to trial.
Peter: This is insane! You plotted every detail of this scheme for Stefano's dirt?! Even going so far to frame
me for bribery!
Deimos: Please don't misunderstand Peter, I was truly hoping it would have never come to this.
Peter: I bet!
Deimos: I mean what I say! Besides, it was the failures of Andre that brought us to this point.

Peter lets out laugh.

Peter: Andre? I should have known!
Deimos: Yes, he and I had a deal. I hired Gerald Vandenhul to get him released and in turn he was supposed to
convince you to represent me.
Peter: Very poor choice on your part!
Deimos: I have to agree, especially when the first thing he did was get arrested for breaking and entering. But
I realized then the grave mistake I had made, that Andre was a liability rather than an asset.
Peter: So let me guess, you had him and Vandenhul poisoned?
Deimos: I had no choice. Everything had come too far to be ruined, so I had the offshore account document planted
on Andre and here we are today.
Peter: I see.

He suddenly punches him in the jaw, Deimos falls to the floor.

Peter: The Salem PD is still trying to incriminate me in the murders, why don't I just make it easy for them
and kill you right now!

Deimos wipes the blood from his mouth, he stands back up.

Deimos: You've been thru much Peter, so I will give you this one.
Peter: I don't give a damn what you're willing to give me! I will not represent you, I will never touch a
Dimera resource ever again!
Deimos: I'm sorry to hear that.
Peter: Now, if you will tell your hired goons outside that we are done here!
Deimos: Unfortunately we are not.

Peter starts to grab him but he pulls a photo out.

Deimos: Recognize her Peter? Look close.

His eyes go wide as it's a photo of Kristen laying in a hospital bed.

Peter: No! Kristen's dead!
Deimos: I'm afraid not and this is the proof.

Peter takes the photograph and looks at it.

Deimos: It was given to me by Andre. He informed me of his history with Kristen, how he impersonated another man
to marry her. He also told me about an accident at a castle, how everyone presumes she is dead when in fact
Stefano came to the rescue yet again.
Peter: Those bastards!
Deimos: So what else did Andre want in return for helping me? He wanted Kristen's treatments to continue of course.
Peter: Because Stefano lost everything before he died.
Deimos: Exactly! So although comatose, Kristen is at an undisclosed facility and the treatments are
continuing at my discretion.

They look at each other.

Deimos: So you may want to reconsider my request.

He pats him on the back and walks over to the door.

Deimos: I'll let the guards know we are finished for now, but we will talk again soon. Oh and please, keep the picture

Three days later:

(State Penitentiary)

Peter mops the chow hall floor, he hears footsteps behind him. He turns around to see the same two guards. They motion, he follows them out and down the hall to the library. Deimos sits at a table reading a newspaper, Peter walks over and sits down.

Deimos: I've given you three days, so I hope you have some good news for me my friend.
Peter: How do I know the picture of Kristen is even real?

He folds the newspaper and puts it on the table.

Deimos: Think about it Peter, I didn't hesitate to kill Andre after he messed up. I can assure you I am not playing any games here. I will continue to authorize your sisters treatments, but you have to give me what I want in return.

Peter sighs and shakes his head.

Peter: Alright Deimos, for my sister I will represent you.
Deimos: Good man!
Peter: But afterwards, if I find out this was all just a deception and Kristen isn't really alive, I will kill you.

Deimos smiles and nods.

Deimos: You have my word.

(Brady Pub)

JJ sits at a booth gripping a cup of coffee. The door opens and Steve walks in.

Steve: Hey there nephew!
JJ: Uncle Steve, any updates from your contacts?

He shakes his head and sits down.

Steve: I'm sorry JJ.
JJ: This is all just insane! No leads from any sources!
Steve: Look, maybe it's time you need to exhale and try to relax a bit.

He sighs and looks down.

Steve: I talked to your mom last night, she is very worried about you. And when it comes down to it, rather he is innocent or not, you don't owe Peter Blake a damn thing.
JJ: I know how this has all looked, especially with what Peter did to my family in the past. But I just have this gut feeling.

He looks at him.

JJ: And besides that, in terms of redemption, we both know all too well there was a time when my dad was not a very good person.

Steve shakes his head.

Steve: You got me there.

His phone suddenly rings, he pulls it out and looks at it.

JJ: One of your contacts?
Steve: Excuse me for a second.

He gets up and walks back outside. JJ raises the cup and takes a sip of coffee. Steve walks back in a minute later, they look at each other.

Steve: It looks like your gut feeling was right.
JJ: Why? What's happened?!
Steve: Let's just say that everything is about to change.

The next day:

(Salem Police Station)

Two uniformed officers escort Peter into Roman's office, Justin is also sitting in a chair.

Justin: Please remove from the handcuffs from Mr. Blake.

They do, Peter rubs his wrists.

Roman: Thank you gentlemen.

They walk out, Roman gets up and shut the door.

Peter: So what's this all about? You sent two officers to transport me back?
Roman: It's the least we could do.
Peter: What do you mean?

Roman looks at Justin.

Justin: On behalf of the state, the Salem PD and myself, we all sincerely apologize. The charges against you have been dropped.
Peter: I don't understand?
Roman: There was a break in the case yesterday and to be honest it was nothing short than a pure stroke of luck.
Peter: Can someone just tell me?
Justin: We know everything now Peter, including that my Uncle Deimos was the culprit all along.
Peter: But how?
Roman: Steve Johnson got a call from the ISA, it turns out they raided a private island owned by an overseas drug lord.
Peter: What drug lord?
Roman: They wouldn't say just yet, something about still building their case. But what they did say is that Roger Clark and his wife were located on the island, and this drug lord opted to cut a deal, incriminating Deimos as his business partner.
Justin: Yes, he told them everything about Deimos. From the bribe to Roger Clark, to his association with Andre and the plan to get you to represent him at his trial.
Roman: And there's one more thing.

Peter looks at him.

Roman: Your sister Kristen was found comatose at the estate on the island. She and the Clark's are being extradited back here to Salem.

(Blake Law Office)

Peter walks into the apartment, the clock on the wall reads 11:40pm.

Peter: What a long day!

He sits down and shuts his eyes.

Peter: But it's great to see this place again.

There is suddenly a knock on the door downstairs. He sighs and stands back up.

Peter: It'd better not be another reporter!

He goes down the stairs and to the door. He unlocks it and pulls it open, his eyes go wide.

Peter: Gloria?

Gloria Cook smiles and wipes a tear out of her eye.

Gloria: Oh my god! Look at you!

She walks in, he shuts the door.

Gloria: I've been in Canada the last few months, I only just heard what happened to you the other day! I got here as soon as I could!

Two weeks later:

(Horton Town Square)

A small crowd sits in the middle of the square. Peter and Gloria sit at a table, Maggie and Victor walk over.

Maggie: Oh how I wish you would stay and keep running the office!
Peter: Thank you Maggie, but we feel going back to Oregon is for the best.
Maggie: I understand.

They hug. Victor extends his hand, they shake.

Victor: I want to apologize for everything, including what Deimos done.
Peter: Victor that's nobodies fault but his own. But I appreciate the gesture.
Victor: At least we can all rest knowing he will rot in prison for the rest of his life, especially with the added charges.

A few minutes later Peter, Gloria and Jennifer are standing in a corner. Gloria's phone rings.

Gloria: I have to take this.
Peter: Go ahead.

They kiss, she walks off. Jennifer looks at him and smiles.

Jennifer: So that's the fiancee you told me about that night.
Peter: Yes. She heard about what happened after the charges were dropped and came. We talked things over, decided to give us another try.
Jennifer: I like her, she's very nice.
Peter: Your approval means a lot.

She smiles again.

Jennifer: I hate that you coming back here turned out to be a deception, but at the same time I'm glad you did. In a way it has been like closure.
Peter: I agree, it's been closure for me as well.

They hug. JJ walks up and smiles.

JJ: Good luck to you Peter. I heard you're going to re-open you're office back in Oregon?
Peter: That's the plan. I hope you will keep the sports program going at Salem High.
JJ: You can count on it.

They shake hands.

(Salem Airport)

An hour later Peter and Gloria sit waiting in the terminal. Peter's phone goes off, he reads the text message.

Peter: Oh good, it's from Dr. Hughes. Kristen arrived at the facility in Oregon.

She smiles and stares at him. He smiles back.

Peter: What?
Gloria: You just seem so happy and at peace. The way that I always wanted you to be.

They kiss. An announcement to board the plane comes over the speaker. Peter takes her hand.

Peter: Come on, lets start our new life together.

One month later:

(Law Office)

Jennifer opens the door and steps in.

Jennifer: Aunt Maggie?

Maggie walks out from the back and smiles.

Maggie: Jennifer, come on back!
Jennifer: Is everything okay? I didn't expect your call.

They walk towards the back.

Maggie: Everything is fine! I just wanted you to meet the new lawyer over the office.
Jennifer: The new lawyer?

"Hi Jennifer" a familiar voice says from behind. Her eyes go wide, she turns around to see the smiling face of Frankie Brady.

THE END

A very sincere apology for not updating, but I at least felt I owed the story and readers a conclusion. This was not my original plan, as my intent was for Steve, Jennifer and JJ to go to the island where the drug lord would have been introduced and Kristen and the Clark's would have been discovered during daring adventures to prove Peter's innocence. But the last few weeks I have been mentally drained due to personal issues, and also I reside in the tri-state area close to where the devastating flooding in West Virginia has occurred. My family members fiancee lost a relative to the flooding and it seems like much has hit home lately. But a deep thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone that has taken the time to read my stories. It is truly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the rest of the story I really enjoyed it. So sorry for the rough time that you, and your family, have been going through. I will keep you in my prayers.

Back