Actor temporarily out

This news came out a few weeks ago but there has been no confirmation from any reliable source or the show, the network, etc. This story has only appeared in the Globe. Days has been shut down for a few weeks...and not a single cast member has mentioned it. So, until word comes from the show...we won't try second guessing.

No wonder they kept it quiet because where it happened.

I hope he's back to the set soon.

Last edited:
Drake Hogestyn (John) WAS injured on set...(while attempting a stunt) & thus the silence on the part of everyone since it happened. I am guessing that this statement from his attorneys came because of that Glamour mag interview with Corday, who gave NO details, just acknowledged Drake had been injured and wished him well in his recovery. Just my speculating about why the statement is finally out.

Before we jump to accuse Ken Corday for not saying more in his interview, he may have been told by his legal team to not say anymore. I wish a speedy recovery for Drake Hogestyn (John).

Last edited by a moderator:
No one is accusing Corday of "not saying more". I think it just was surprising that no statement came from the show to the effect that Drake Hogestyn (John) had been injured (they did not have to say how) & would be out of the show during his recovery. People get injured all the time, (heck even on Dancing With The Stars) so it was a shame that the news had to come from a gossip rag like the Globe.

And yes, I think most viewers realize that all concerned were advised by the legal eagles to say nothing, and that is also why cast members said nothing as well.

I think it's more important to focus on his recovery, rather than the details that aren't anyone's business, but I wouldn't be surprised if people that did discuss it are either fired, or at the very least, realize they need to actually respect the non-disclosure agreement(s) they signed with the show and stop talking about it with anyone.

But that might be just my humble opinion.

I hope he's feeling better soon - Days needs him!

it's sad that they had to hide this from everyone for the past 2 months. Didn't they think people noticed Drake Hogestyn (John) not being with Deidre Hall (Marlena) when she got her star? Or Drake missing from the 13,000th episode party? I noticed, and I kept thinking that his injuries must be much worse than anyone is saying. That it happened on set is frightening. I sure hope we hear something from Drake soon, and that he is truly going to be ok.

First, and foremost: I wish Drake Hogestyn (John) well. I hope he recovers soon and is back on set.

That said. He didn't fall from a tree, not from a ladder. He didn't fall at all. He ran "full speed" (which, yes, some humans can run fast). But even so, to "knock down a door", wouldn't you use your hands or feet in some way? That would, even at full speed, slow down the impact. It says he ran "full speed" head first into the door.

Again, I really hope he recovers fully, but I just can't wrap my mind around it being as bad as they are suggesting. I love Drake, I really do, but this just seems a bit over dramatic reaction to an embarrassing misjudgment on the actor? Just sayin'. Even if that door WAS properly set up, he should not be running at it head first at any speed.

Even if that door WAS properly set up, he should not be running at it head first at any speed.
Unless that's how the stunt coordinator set it up.

Or, he could've lost footing and hit his head instead of his shoulder, arm, etc.

He seems like a tough guy and I doubt he'd be taking off work several weeks if it wasn't warranted.

I'm confused as to how this was the actor's misjudgment?

The prop doors, windows, etc. are supposed to break apart or shatter with just a very very hint of a touch. The problem was the improper handling and set up of the prop door.

In most tv shows and movie, the actors use the side of their bodies, shoulder, heads, hips, to shatter the fake doors.

It could be that when he went at the door, shoulder, side, arm, etc. and the door did not break, he fell, hitting his head on something.

As to running full speed, perhaps the scene called for him to be heading towards a door that was open, (chasing someone??) with it being slammed shut as he neared it, momentum has him crashing into the door, which should have broken apart. Again, it did not.

And again, we are not privy to the entire scenario, so...it is all conjecture on our parts. Obviously, the man was injured, more than anyone thought at the time.

Back