SPOILER !! Another returning Salemite?

No, Sonny left town in August right as the new writing team came aboard. Will was killed in October so I'm sure Guy Wilson (Will) didn't even know about his impending death much less Freddie Smith (Sonny) factoring that into his choice to leave the show. And to be sure, it was Mr. Smith's choice to leave.

For what it's worth, Days Cafe has had posted for some time that Paul has a shocking hook up coming.
They're probably referring to the "date" he had with Jacob the photographer from Basic Black. Paul hooking up with Sonny would not be shocking at this point but furthermore, Sonny returning to the show for a "hook up" with Paul just doesn't seem plausible. But then again Days Cafe certainly has a way with words and embellishing things.

If Sonny is returning I'm sure it will be for some story with his parents, TBD, perhaps rekindling things with Paul, and oh, I don't know, maybe be a present full time father to Arianna! LOL. I know it's not his fault but I just could never imagine Sonny walking away from Ari like that but I get it, actor leaves, writers don't want to recast or write story, blah blah blah. A mention every now and then from Gabi would be great but then she's hardly on either so....

Well, now I have become a bit confused. Because the new writers began work in March, with their first scripts appearing Aug. 28th, I believe. And they did say they "inherited" the necktie killer story, so it seems that the victims were already chosen, etc. Sonny WAS at the funeral. However, I know even Rob Wilson (Ben) said that he did not know at first he was the killer, but when they told him, he did not tell anyone else, but began playing Ben a bit differently.

It does seem as though the show may be having a problem with headwriters located in different parts of the country. This MAY be the reason the show seems rather choppy at times.

I think it would be "shocking" if it was Sonny, just due to the fact that it was unknown he was coming back IF, big if, that is the case.

Even if they inherited that story I doubt it was completely planned out at that point and would they really inform an actor 2 months in advance they were getting killed off? I doubt it. Will being killed off had nothing to do with Freddie Smith (Sonny) choosing to leave the show. He was at the end of his 4 year contract and wanted to pursue other projects, like you said. Obviously, he was willing and available then to return for Will's funeral. I think he left the door open though for future returns. So, who knows, maybe this is just a short term thing this time around or maybe he's back for longer. If that is him in that photo (and I believe it is) then the show, or some other soap news site, will have to come clean about it very soon I would imagine.

Hairline looks the same but it's a pretty common one.
Freddie+Smith+3eSr7VMK8Mcm.jpg

It does seem as though the show may be having a problem with headwriters located in different parts of the country. This MAY be the reason the show seems rather choppy at times.

We never had a problem with Bill Bell and Jim Reilly though. They hardly ever visited the set and wrote the show from Chicago and New York. Certainly had some great ratings during both of those eras!

Perhaps the show has given SOD an exclusive and that's why nobody is confirming it? I for one think it's great if he is back--lots of storyline potential and I'd love to see him in scenes with Philip too. Perhaps we will finally see his brothers too.

Well he certainly does resemble Freddie Smith/Sonny. I would love him to come back and continue with his other relationship with Paul. Still an unfinished story. ShaSha

Last edited:
We never had a problem with Bill Bell and Jim Reilly though. They hardly ever visited the set and wrote the show from Chicago and New York. Certainly had some great ratings during both of those eras!
True........but each of them wrote alone.
We are talking now of CO-HEADWRITERS, separated by a great distance. (and from my perspective, I was not a fan of anything Reilly wrote. )

Something to keep in mind. Even if it is Freddie Smith and he is returning we don't know for how long. For all we know it could be short term though if Christopher Sean's (Paul) tweet about a major storyline is involving him maybe not short term

The picture has already circulated, there's no point in taking it down at this point. I think it's him. They will probably deny until they think we've all forgotten about it and then announce his return.

I'm more interested in seeing what will happen in July. Some people on my Facebook page have been quite vocal (and some even rude) saying it's either him or not him. I wonder if any of the people who were wrong (and rude), will remember to apologize in July when these scenes will air (either with or without Sonny).

True........but each of them wrote alone.
We are talking now of CO-HEADWRITERS, separated by a great distance. (and from my perspective, I was not a fan of anything Reilly wrote. )

I see, you mean co-heads. Thought you just meant head writers who don't live in California. Aren't Dena Higley and Josh Griffith both based in California though? Not sure about Beth Milstein.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back