Baseball Question

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there just ONE Baseball League now? The reason I ask is because the radio last week or two had a game between the Cubs & White Sox.....and they are in different leagues, or used to be.Cubs were in National League & Sox in the American League.
They always had a big rivalry non-league game between the two teams in August, I believe. At least when I lived in Chicago they did.

I know new teams have formed, and when it was mentioned on Days about the Cubs playing the Diamondbacks the other day...I remembered about that White Sox/Cub game.
Or are there some very limited crossover games between the leagues??? Just don't remember ever seeing or hearing of them playing regular games together before.

Good question. I used to pay attention to baseball in the 70s.

Still 2 leagues, but they like to have interleague games to change up the playing field a bit (ha ha baseball pun), it helps ticket sales to have 2 rivals play. I wish they'd move the Brewers back to the American league so I could cheer for them and the Cubs, but alas as it stands now I will only cheer for the Cubbies. :)

Poirot, it must have been a dream, the Cubs and White Sox have not played each other yet this year. 15 teams in National League and 15 teams in American League so they play inter league games all year now instead of just a couple weeks a year. Cubs play 20 inter league games this year all against American League Central teams, white sox, Tigers, Royals, twins, and Indians. Go Cubs!,

Oh, for cryin out loud. I know I never ever heard a White Sox game on my radio, and should have realized it was probably not the Cubs. LOL. Sorry, it was the Milwaukee Brewers. Yep, this IS Wisconsin. That is what I get for only hearing about 2 minutes of the game. I was soooo shocked that it was the White Sox.

The Cubs will be playing the White Sox on July 12, and then a 3 games in mid-August.
I did not realize about interleague. I really don't follow baseball any more, since I left Chicago and my Cubbies, and the radio just began carrying these games this year. I have radio on all the time, boy, I hear local high school football, baseball, basketball, hockey, boys and girls, even soccer. LOL The Packers, Brewers,

And to make things more complicated the Brewers switched from the American League to the National League a few years ago and the Houston Astros switched from the National League to the American League either this season or last season.:rolleyes:

As others have noted, there are still two leagues, but there are no longer league presidents, just one baseball commissioner. Regarding inter-league play, because Houston moved to the American League, each league now has 15 teams, meaning that major league baseball is locked into inter-league play, although the consensus is that fans are only interested in local rivalries like Mets-Yankees, Cubs-White Sox, Indians-Reds, etc.

Is there just ONE Baseball League now? The reason I ask is because the radio last week or two had a game between the Cubs & White Sox.....and they are in different leagues, or used to be.Cubs were in National League & Sox in the American League.
They always had a big rivalry non-league game between the two teams in August, I believe. At least when I lived in Chicago they did.

I know new teams have formed, and when it was mentioned on Days about the Cubs playing the Diamondbacks the other day...I remembered about that White Sox/Cub game.
Or are there some very limited crossover games between the leagues??? Just don't remember ever seeing or hearing of them playing regular games together before.

Yes, there are the National League and the American League. Cubs (my team) are NL, White Sox AL. They play inter-league and have for several years.

I think the main difference is that when the game is played at the Stadium which is home to American League, they have Designated Hitters and the pitchers do not bat. When they play at the Stadiums that are home to the National League Team, they do not have the Designated Hitters and so the pitchers have to "bat" and then go back and pitch. I love the American League, and the Rays, homed in Tampa Bay, and follow them faithfully.

Back