Brats

Moira

Reaction score
I am wondering was there ever a character who as a teen did not turn into a self-absorbed brat?

Now I know most people would say that is normal for teens. But that is not true. They can be challenging, they can demand things, they can fight with friends but soaps have a history of going to extreme on just about every teen for whom they write.

I taught middle and high school kids for many years. Middle schoolers are a bigger pain than high school students. Parents don't know how to parent. If a student of mine had publicly lashed out, as a teacher I would have stopped it right there. I didn't raise my voice but they knew they had crossed a line. All Salem's parents do is say the first and middle name of their child e.g Ciara Alice!, Samantha Gene!

My mother would not have leveled me in public but when we got home, there would be hell to pay. However my biggest teen action was probably an eye roll. At which point, my mother's death stare would be enough. I know an instance when a child was arguing with their parent and decided they had enough. They grabbed their car keys and took off for school. Then they texted the parent about being condescending. The mother didn't do anything except call her mother and moan about it. The child may have had a consequence when they returned home hours later. My consequence for said child would have been: give me your car keys and your phone. You can have them back when you can pay for them. Done.

Back my original question, I can only think of one and that is Theo. He has challenged his dad etc. but has maintained some decorum.

99% of all soap kids are moody, bratty teenagers with major attitude once they are SORAS'ed. It's a rare situation when they are a nice and normal kid.

I agree, and I think it would make for better storylines if the parents acted like parents and took the responsibility of seeing to the behaviour of both the kids and teens on-screen.

Teen "angst" seems to be a soap opera staple despite fans weariness of the plots.

Gotta say, Ciara has done a 180, for sure. I don't remember the Last Blast set being so bratty, but they WERE SORAS'd in a day, about 10 years. 5-6 to 16, in an eye blink. But I think Ciara is supposed to past 18 now, right? She was already in college, so her turnaround is ....odd. Don't know why she believes that Claire is the one to blame for Theo being shot. Too bad Hope doesn't pay all that much attention.

Back