Can I ask a dumb question here?

heartdays

Reaction score
So after watching yesterdays episode (9/17), We see Hope writing a letter to Bo, basically saying she is moving on.. ummmmm... where is she sending this letter to? So Hope, nor anyone else, know Bo's location at this point, but somehow, magically, divorce papers and a letter are going to get to him?? I don't understand this.

Or, is she just mentally moving on here? That's all well and good, but I thought legally she cant even get divorced without Bo's signature? So where are these fake divorce papers being sent to? Bo's fake undercover hotel suite in the Virgin Islands? I just feel like this doesn't make any sense to me. Am I missing something?

She can divorce Bo in absentia. The same as Jennifer did with Jack when she thought he was on his walk-about.

As to the letter, maybe it was just her way of "moving on", by putting it all down on paper for whenever there is a time that Bo can receive mail.

You are right she can file for desertion or abandonment, and if I can remember correctly she has to wait a certain period of time after the file date before it becomes final. But I truly thought they were not remarried, I could be wrong. And about reaching Bo you put it in the mailbox and it will magically end up in the mailbox where he is.

You are right she can file for desertion or abandonment, and if I can remember correctly she has to wait a certain period of time after the file date before it becomes final. But I truly thought they were not remarried, I could be wrong.
You have to wait for the judge to grant the final decree (after the initial Complaint in Divorce has been filed), same as a regular divorce.

They weren't remarried, but the writers have apparently forgotten that.

I, too, think it must be a way for her to justify her way of moving forward, to get her feelings in writing. You are correct though, what other point would it be to write a letter to only not have it sent and legally drawn a divorce? Perhaps if she had it notarized, somehow down the road it would be legal. In any case, glad she is moving forward.............I actually liked how DOOL did this story...........although it is rather convenient that Chase and Ciara are good friends now. :wink:

Perhaps if she had it notarized, somehow down the road it would be legal.
That's not how divorces work. You have to have a Complaint in Divorce presented to a judge, filed of record and after everything is hashed out, for the judge to grant a final divorce decree.

Notarized divorce papers wouldn't mean anything. Having something notarized just means your signature was witnessed and certified (by a Notary Public) as being done by you and not someone else.

Bo has abandoned his family, deserted them, has not lived with them for over 2 years and his whereabouts are unknown to his family. She has grounds, and as I stated in another thread, the notification to Bo has to be published in the paper, if he has no address. (So he could appear in court or contest).There are x number of days from the date of publication of the notification. I think 60 days usually.
She DID begin that letter by saying she was sending to his last known address. This is just a personal letter to him, and if it is returned, well, she did try and explain how she felt.

The decree would probably be granted with no problem.

I believe the writers want us as viewers to conveniently forget about that garbage story the previous writers did with Hope/John and Alamania. It could have been fixed with a simple sentence by Hope about them remarrying offscreen (who knows, maybe she did say something and that scene ended up on the editing room floor?) but my guess is that we are to assume that the whole Hope/John marriage thing was a farce, therefore Bo and Hope's marriage has always been in tact, legally speaking. Also, remember, it was Carrie, hag-lawyer extraordinaire, that deemed the marriage of Hope/John to be legal whereby making Bo/Hope and John/Marlena null and void. :rolleyes:

In any event, Bo and Hope are MARRIED and therefore do require a DIVORCE to officially and legally separate them.

Back