Cell phones - Curiosity question

Of all of family and friends who have smartphones, none of them use the lock feature. So to me, that seems pretty realistic for the Salemites.
I use the lock feature on my iPhone, iPad and also Apple watch. Too much personal info to risk someone accessing one of them.

I gave up my landline several years ago because I couldn't see the sense in paying for 2 phones. I haven't really missed it. I don't take my phone out in public. I usually keep it either in my purse or in my pocket. And it doesn't even go into church with me.

I enjoy having a world of information at my fingertips. If a dispute or question comes up during a conversation, the answer can be found in just a few clicks. That being said, I might have a smartphone but it isn't smart enough to automatically know every phone number in the whole wide world and does need regular charging.

Also, with my phone, you have to have the person's number and name in your contact list for their name to come up when they call. The phone doesn't automatically know the person who is calling. Just more dramatic license on the part of the writers, eh?

There definitely is a huge difference between smartphones, and just a regular cell phone (am talking about one that is just for talking, and MAYBE texting).

So........is this common? Do YOU take yours out immediately wherever you go, leave it sitting on tables, desks etc. when you leave the room, or the establishment? (Yes, I can see bedside nightstands). And yes, I realize that folks sometimes no longer have landlines, so might have their phone out AT HOME for easy access.

Yep, I do. We have no home phone, and I'm admittedly a bit codependent on my smart phone. In my defense, I do have a child with ASD and ADHD who sometimes requires me to come up to school and manage/calm down, so I do need to be on call during school hours.

I mute it in church and chuck it in my handbag. I also mute it overnight, and put it face down on the bedside table, otherwise the light from notifications wakes me up all night.

For a long time, I had the older flip phone that I always carried in my purse and only used as an emergency to make a call when I was out. I had a phone at work and the landline in my apartment, so there was no need for a phone with anything else. When I lost my job and started looking for work, I dropped my landline and upgraded my cell phone so that I could receive text messages and voicemail.

I also started leaving my phone on all day and checking it more often. Two years ago, I changed to a smartphone. It is usually with me all day, but I am not glued to it night and day like my nieces and nephews are to their phones, LOL. I keep it with me by my bed at night and charge it during that time so it is always charged and ready to use during the day.

I dubbed my friend's flip phone "the bat phone" because when she texted (you know, multiple number presses to get a single letter) it sounded like the old tv Batman tune! I have to admit, it's no wonder that most flip phone folks aren't into texting. I don't know how we managed! It is SO much easier, and magnifies the convenience, with a smartphone, even if we are "all thumbs" when typing! :rotfl:

Mine is usually in my back pocket (I live in jeans almost all the time), but it's a larger form phone (HTC 10), so I don't leave it in my pocket, except when I'm driving (and singing in church choir, where I have a set timeframe that it always goes quiet at that time). When I get home, or to the office, it's out on the desk next to me, so that I don't have to dig for it when I need to make a call or return a text.

Back