Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From Soap Opera Digest......

DALLAS CANCELED

By SOD • Posted: Oct 3, 2014

dallas-default-nologo-800x450_0.jpg
TNT has canceled its reboot of the prime-time soap classic DALLAS, reports Deadline.com. The sudser lasted three seasons, with a two-part season finale wrapping up on September 22.
“We are extremely proud of the series, which defied expectations by standing as a worthy continuation of the Ewing saga,” said a TNT spokesperson in a statement. "We want to thank everyone involved with the show, from the extraordinary cast to the impeccable production team, led by the show’s creative forces, Cynthia Cidre and Mike Robin. We especially want to thank the people of Dallas for their warm and generous hospitality during the production of the series.”
For those who missed the wind-up, the DALLAS season finale nabbed our Editors’ Choice, which will appear in an upcoming issue.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/dallas-canceled

I haven't seen one. They didn't tease it at the end of Season 3 like they did in prior years either.

I'm disappointed. I'm also baffled, since the network was tossing a lot of money around to keep them in pre-production. Would it have been that costly to film 3-4 episodes to wrap up the storylines, and Kill Nicolas? I guess they needed more room for Law & Order reruns. :(

I'm devastated. I saw this posted here last night and was too shocked to respond then. I just don't believe this! :cry:

Agreed Jason. Why not allow them at least 6 episodes to tie things up. How could they just leave things up in the air this way. I think that's what angers me the most. Not knowing! No closure! I know it's business, but it's just NOT RIGHT. What an ugly way to thank the millions of fans who love these characters and tuned in every Monday night.

How things should have ended:
Christopher dying in the explosion was a fantasy of Elena's. They reunite and discover the baby is Chris'.
Sue Ellen runs a second time for governor and wins.
Nicolas is caught and sent to prison.
Bobby gives Pamela back Barnes' Global and she runs it on her own.
Pamela and John Ross divorce.
John Ross leaves Dallas to find himself.

I wonder if they might be able to get the show onto another cable network?? I mean ...Lifetime, maybe TBS?, A&E....so many cable stations are now running their own short (6-9 episodes) season series.
I thought it very unusual that the interviews of late kept mentioning not knowing if there would be another season, although they were writing, and TNT was still paying them all. ???

I saw this on FB last night but I've been busy with the Yom Kippur fast. I'm shocked and saddened too. I noticed that the Dallas FB page had over 50,000 Likes last I checked last night. That's very telling. Fans are not taking this lightly. I hope Netflix or another network picks this up.

It's a great show that can be even greater with some tweaking.

If no other television network would pick it up, maybe Netflix would. So far it doesn't seem to fit in with their style of Netflix "Originals," but you never know. I'm also not too sure how people would feel about needing to buy a subscription to Netflix just for Dallas either. However, Netflix could be a last resort if they feel enough of the demographic either already has Netflix or would be up to trying it.

Or even Amazon Prime Video as a last last resort...

The interview a couple weeks ago with the producer indicated they have the scripts written. Heck, the cast, staff, crew, etc. is all in place, and ready to go. TNT has been paying to keep everyone on staff while they waffled about renewing.
I don't think it would cost another cable outfit as much NOW for taking on the filming and showing of 5-6 episodes.
No idea about TNT.....but it is owned by Ted Turner's company. With TNT stalling the way they have, I am guessing, strictly guessing, that the showrunners have been out inquiring elsewhere "just in case".

I'm watching the finale again (little did we know it'd be the series finale) and I'm rolling over laughing at Tracey calling Ann "Bobby's latest wife" while holding her hand out to shake with Ann as Bobby looks awkward and the bloopers music plays. :rotfl:I need more of this. I saw Patrick Duffy's tweet about not being done with Bobby and looking for a new home. I hope they find one in time for a premiere in February.

If no other television network would pick it up, maybe Netflix would. So far it doesn't seem to fit in with their style of Netflix "Originals," but you never know. I'm also not too sure how people would feel about needing to buy a subscription to Netflix just for Dallas either. However, Netflix could be a last resort if they feel enough of the demographic either already has Netflix or would be up to trying it.

Or even Amazon Prime Video as a last last resort...
Given the increase in memberships to Netflix when Arrested Development season 4 was made, I think Netflix could definitely be an option. I recently read how the memberships to Netflix i increasing so much and appears to be the way television is going. While it may not the only option, more and more people are tuning in it to some of the original series that Netflix has produced. Dallas could very well be successful if it went this route.

In a September 23, 2012 article, "In Canada, Netflix saw growth of 70% in 2012, roughly 2.5 million households; but considering the data is close to being one year old, the actual numbers are most likely higher, especially given the popularity of exclusive shows such as the Emmy-winning House of Cards."

With Netflix putting out some solid series, it potentially could be a coup for Netflix.

Back